Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Blood Bath" in Bonds?

Started by HawgWild, January 10, 2018, 12:58:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

January 10, 2018, 12:58:04 pm Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:19:28 pm by HawgWild
A few years back we had some members predicting a "blood bath" in bonds that never materialized. I heard that term mentioned again this morning with regard to China's announcement that they were paring back their buying of US debt.

Can some of you more learned ones expand on this in layman's terms? What's this effect on the various investments?

TIA

NuttinItUp

HawgWild

So, good for Financials, dividend payers, not so much? Looks like it could hamper infrastructure. What impact on national debt? It becomes more onerous?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgWild on January 10, 2018, 12:58:04 pm
A few years back we had some members predicting a "blood bath" in bonds that never materialized. I heard that term mentioned again this morning with regard to China's announcement that they were paring back their buying of US debt.

Can some of you more learned ones expand on this in layman's terms? What's this effect on the various investments?

TIA
Two initials: B.S.

HawgWild

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgWild on January 10, 2018, 06:36:55 pm
Can you expand on this a little?
Provide more color? Get a bit more granular?

Ha.

My simple mind tells me less buyers may cause higher rates to be offered to entice a buyer. Rates rising = existing bonds principal price decline.

This is when client A phones financial advisor after seeing their mid-year statement and says, "I thought you told me you can't lose money in investment grade bonds and bond funds?" Key in that question is, "you". Even if YOU never said that, the client will remember that you did.

Interest rates rise, interest expense for federal gov't rises, consumer interest rates rise, less $ to go around to other things for both gov't and its citizenry with debt. Dollar gets stronger. Energy prices rise with rising dollar value. Get some inflation, on and on and on.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.