Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did Curl grab the jersey?

Started by codeHog, September 23, 2017, 11:52:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

codeHog

was he tired, just getting beat or does that happen a lot and he just got caught?

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: codeHog on September 23, 2017, 11:52:57 pm
was he tired, just getting beat or does that happen a lot and he just got caught?
Happens a lot...DBs and WRs literally slap box, push off, and grab each other the entire time until one is blatantly caught.

Großer Kriegschwein

Happens 90% of the time. Usually there has to be some kind of redirection when the ball was thrown to a catchable position. Neither of those conditions existed. Ref should have pocketed his flag.

Or so I think.
This is my non-signature signature.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 23, 2017, 11:57:03 pm
Happens 90% of the time. Usually there has to be some kind of redirection when the ball was thrown to a catchable position. Neither of those conditions existed. Ref should have pocketed his flag.

Or so I think.
Yup. WR was not inhibited and ball was uncatchable. But he was holding right in front of Ref. :(

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 24, 2017, 12:03:18 am
Yup. WR was not inhibited and ball was uncatchable. But he was holding right in front of Ref. :(

Yep. Don't hold until you have to.

JayHog

They were picking on Curl all day long. Every time they were in a 3rd down or needed a pass completion, I was like, who is Curl covering? And sure enough, that who they would throw it to. 

Tejano Jawg

Or so I think.

I haven't watched my tape—and probably won't—but during the network replays, the WR turned to the sideline and the ball immediately hit at his feet, actually past his feet out of bounds. Whatever Curl did with the "handful of jersey", had nothing to do with the pass not being completed. That part wasn't close.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 24, 2017, 01:22:44 am
I haven't watched my tape—and probably won't—but during the network replays, the WR turned to the sideline and the ball immediately hit at his feet, actually past his feet out of bounds. Whatever Curl did with the "handful of jersey", had nothing to do with the pass not being completed. That part wasn't close.

The ball landed in bounds.  It wasn't gonna be caught.

ShadowHawg

So we are whining about a call in a game that never goes to overtime if the ref doesn't totally screw up a td run by A&M by calling it out of bounds?

Farmer Hogget

Hmmm?  I think you are looking for this answer:

Because Bret Beliema sucks as a coach and he taught him to do that!  Fire Bret Beliema. . .er, I mean, fire Jeff Long AND THEN fire Bret Beliema or Jeff Long will get to hire the next coach, too! 

LOLOLOL. 

Steef

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 03:04:10 am
So we are whining about a call in a game that never goes to overtime if the ref doesn't totally screw up a td run by A&M by calling it out of bounds?

Watching the game with a friend, I said at the time that was a "payback" penalty for screwing them out of a touchdown.

The pass was not catchable.

Pigdiana Jones

That pathetic call was nothing more than payback for completely blowing the out of bounds TD call earlier. That call was so obviously bad that I knew A&M had to be pissed and rightfully so.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

hogcard1964

He looked like he was trying to keep up.  I'm not sure the WR would have caught the ball. 

Hogarusa

Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 04:44:24 am

Watching the game with a friend, I said at the time that was a "payback" penalty for screwing them out of a touchdown.

Edit- Should have been called for holding over PI so whether the pass was catchable is meaningless. He blatantly held onto the jersey for the entire route
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Temprees

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 06:13:29 am
He looked like he was trying to keep up.  I'm not sure the WR would have caught the ball. 
Even without the pass interference call, the official could have called defensive holding, which is a 10 yard penalty.  Still would have been a first down.

I would teach my players to not run down the field holding onto an opponent's jersey.  Curl's reaction speaks volumes. How in the world could he think that was not a penalty?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Temprees on September 24, 2017, 06:41:56 am
Even without the pass interference call, the official could have called defensive holding, which is a 10 yard penalty.  Still would have been a first down.

I would teach my players to not run down the field holding onto an opponent's jersey.  Curl's reaction speaks volumes. How in the world could he think that was not a penalty?

No, I agree with you, it was without a doubt a penalty.  I'm just pointing out how foolish and unnecessary it was.

Steef

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 24, 2017, 06:39:35 am
Edit- Should have been called for holding over PI so whether the pass was catchable is meaningless. He blatantly held onto the jersey for the entire route

That happens on several spots of the field every single play. On both sides of the ball. You could find a reason to throw a flag every down.

That flag was called PI. The receiver WAS held onto, but not particularly impeded.

And the pass was still uncatchable.

The Hogfather

Or so I think.

Exactly.

PonderinHog

How many make up calls/no calls do y'all think A & M deserved? 

jacobp

I could counter by saying they missed a massive hold on that play that turned a 5-6 yard gain into an 80+ yard play

Lanny

Officials had to make that call.  Defensive holding or pass interference
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

b-ash

Even if he gets away with it, they kick the fg.  Allen still gets picked and we lose.  I tried in my head to make that play the reason we lost, but it wasn't.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Temprees on September 24, 2017, 06:41:56 am

Two things here, first he is true freshman and made a freshman mistake of doing it blatantly right in front of the official. Second, as others have said, this could be called on nearly every pass attempt at different spots on the field, offensive pass interference as well because there is a lot of pushing off by receivers. If officials would call this on both sides of the ball more often (and they have every opportunity to do so), a great deal of this would stop. But they will continue to do it only when it is more evident.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Iceman

Quote from: b-ash on September 24, 2017, 08:25:35 am
Even if he gets away with it, they kick the fg.  Allen still gets picked and we lose.  I tried in my head to make that play the reason we lost, but it wasn't.

But it would have been a much longer field goal attempt.

RedyorNot

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 08:18:53 am
Officials had to make that call.  Defensive holding or pass interference

Ref needed to use better discretion IMO. If the ball was catchable, yes, but Curl didn't impede the receiver's ability to do so.

Cure

He did what you're supposed to do, but he held too long.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

mckinneyhog5

On the Kirk kickoff return for a TD there were two blatant holds by A&M players. One was a takedown and as obvious as the day is long. We were mad about that but chalked it up as the refs make up call for blowing that TD. A&Ms OL was holding most of the 4th quarter and not one call. On the interception to win the game for them, our receiver was tackled in the end zone, thus allowing the interception and guess what? No call. How many make up calls did A&M get?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

The NewEra

If anyone wants to see a secondary that holds on almost every play just watch any Alabama game.  Everyone does it, but Bama manages to get away with it more than any other team.  I hated that they called it on Curl on that play, but it was a hold.

PORKULATOR

They had a few jersey grabs that were worse and not called. Jones would've had an easy deep ball TD and AA was looking but his jersey was tugged BAAAD and it wasn't called.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jacobp on September 24, 2017, 08:17:35 am
I could counter by saying they missed a massive hold on that play that turned a 5-6 yard gain into an 80+ yard play

LOL

And sound pathetic.......

BigBrandonAllenFan

Curl is a freshman.  He is going to be a good player.  He just has to learn when to release.  He held the jersey from start to finish.  Just can't take it that far.

chiefhawg

For us old timers, remember Batman Carroll? That was one of his favorite tactics. Batman would get caught about 50% of the time.

Deep Shoat

Ill say this one time, because it needs to be said.

The ref cost Mond 1, maybe two yards.  Not a TD.

Our DB let up on taking him out of bounds BECAUSE the ref blew the whistle.  He would have taken him out well short of the gl without the whistle.

Of course, everyone is too ignorant to admit that.
All Gas, No Brakes!

IronHog

Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 04:44:24 am

They got about 6 make up calls
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: The NewEra on September 24, 2017, 09:17:51 am
If anyone wants to see a secondary that holds on almost every play just watch any Alabama game.  Everyone does it, but Bama manages to get away with it more than any other team.  I hated that they called it on Curl on that play, but it was a hold.

Bamas really good Ds usta just mug people with their huge DBs

They'd go to the NFL and get torched
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

sickboy

Any of you guys played CB? I played one half of a football game at corner. I played in a competitive men's flag football league, so all passing. I was about 6'1", 190 at the time. Not fast at all, but in pretty good shape at that point. Meaning I was strong enough to bump at the line, but I played against a D2 QB/WR combo who played high school ball at Long Beach Poly. I'm telling you it's the hardest position on the field. I've played QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, DE and MLB in my football days. Nah, Playing against a QB and a WR who had timing and rhythm was infinitely harder than any of those positions. If I was a CB, I'd grab every single time.

TNRazorbacker

Just happens when you are fighting in coverage sometimes. Cornerback is probably the most athletically demanding  position in football. He's young, he'll learn not to do that with time, of how to do it without getting caught or drawing a flag.

Squinky The Curse

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 24, 2017, 12:03:18 am

I don't know if the ball was uncatchable, if he wasn't being held, he could have turned around and made the catch.

Hoggish1

Do you watch a lot of football?  Happens on every play if the defender is close enough to latch on...  It's an art-form at Alabama.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 24, 2017, 12:22:03 pm

Our DB let up on taking him out of bounds BECAUSE the ref blew the whistle.  He would have taken him out well short of the gl without the whistle.

Lol

No Mond pulled up and Liddell went past him. The db following had let up prior to the call and was no longer a factor in the play.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 24, 2017, 12:22:03 pm

I'll say this, the DB was trying to strip the ball, he didn't pull up, should have just knocked him out of bounds instead of trying to strip the ball. Mond did a good job of staying in bounds and should have been awarded the TD. How that isn't challengable and reviewable, despite an errant whistle being blown, is beyond me. Fair is fair, that was a TD.
Go Hogs Go!

theFlyingHog

That call was early enough in the game that you absolutely cannot say what impact that had on the outcome. Had that been called a TD, as it should have been, different decisions would be made for the rest of the game. Arkansas may have actually won the game had we been behind at that point.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 24, 2017, 01:15:01 pm
That call was early enough in the game that you absolutely cannot say what impact that had on the outcome. Had that been called a TD, as it should have been, different decisions would be made for the rest of the game. Arkansas may have actually won the game had we been behind at that point.

Lol. These justifications are really more pitiful than funny.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: JayHog on September 24, 2017, 01:05:37 am
They were picking on Curl all day long. Every time they were in a 3rd down or needed a pass completion, I was like, who is Curl covering? And sure enough, that who they would throw it to.
Fact, and he gave up a few big ones but to have a fresh get that kind of experience will be a nvaluabke 2-3 yes down the road.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 01:23:33 pm
Lol. These justifications are really more pitiful than funny.
Justification? What did I attempt to justify?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: sickboy on September 24, 2017, 12:26:36 pm
Any of you guys played CB? I played one half of a football game at corner. I played in a competitive men's flag football league, so all passing. I was about 6'1", 190 at the time. Not fast at all, but in pretty good shape at that point. Meaning I was strong enough to bump at the line, but I played against a D2 QB/WR combo who played high school ball at Long Beach Poly. I'm telling you it's the hardest position on the field. I've played QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, DE and MLB in my football days. Nah, Playing against a QB and a WR who had timing and rhythm was infinitely harder than any of those positions. If I was a CB, I'd grab every single time.

I played all secondary positions through junior high and high school, but mostly corner—strong-side (left side) corner my 3 varsity years. It's a different world out there for sure. Man, do you ever have to keep your eyes open and head on a swivel. Priority 1—don't get beat deep.

Sort of on the topic—my junior year, playing at Greenwood, I pulled a hamstring in the first half. For the remainder of the game, when the WR would run by me, I grabbed his jersey in order to 'slingshot' me downfield so I could stay with him for a few steps. They never threw my way and I never got flagged. Lucky.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 08:27:13 am
Two things here, first he is true freshman and made a freshman mistake of doing it blatantly right in front of the official. Second, as others have said, this could be called on nearly every pass attempt at different spots on the field, offensive pass interference as well because there is a lot of pushing off by receivers. If officials would call this on both sides of the ball more often (and they have every opportunity to do so), a great deal of this would stop. But they will continue to do it only when it is more evident.

You point out a key thing—Curl is a FRESHMAN. In the future, he'll be able to do some things that won't be seen (or as obvious). He'll learn how much he can get away with. Sometimes he'll gamble and get caught. Think about Alabama's historically strong secondary. How much do they get away with? And you know there are some techniques taught by Saban that ride the line of legal/illegal.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 24, 2017, 02:11:17 pm
I played all secondary positions through junior high and high school, but mostly corner—strong-side (left side) corner my 3 varsity years. It's a different world out there for sure. Man, do you ever have to keep your eyes open and head on a swivel. Priority 1—don't get beat deep.

Sort of on the topic—my junior year, playing at Greenwood, I pulled a hamstring in the first half. For the remainder of the game, when the WR would run by me, I grabbed his jersey in order to 'slingshot' me downfield so I could stay with him for a few steps. They never threw my way and I never got flagged. Lucky.

You point out a key thing—Curl is a FRESHMAN. In the future, he'll be able to do some things that won't be seen (or as obvious). He'll learn how much he can get away with. Sometimes he'll gamble and get caught. Think about Alabama's historically strong secondary. How much do they get away with? And you know there are some techniques taught by Saban that ride the line of legal/illegal.
Bama writes the dang book on walking that line.

ADavisTheGOAT

That's where we really missed Pulley.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 24, 2017, 02:11:17 pm

He could have been (accurately) called for defensive holding, but Pass Interference? No. Not a catchable ball so it was a bad call. Now had he turned loose a few yards in and just stayed with the receiver instead of holding on? No call. But again, a true Freshman mistake. He will correct this as he matures. Good learning lesson for him.
Go Hogs Go!

chiefhawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 24, 2017, 02:15:13 pm
Bama writes the dang book on walking that line.
Lets be honest. That is how DBs survive. The receiver knows where he is going and where the ball should be placed. That is why good ones make money and regular ones reminisce about their college days. By the way Bama has 7 and Florida as 10 of them on active NFL rosters.