Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Years Has Bielema Set The Program Back?

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 17, 2017, 12:17:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

20 (21.3%)
9 (9.6%)
14 (14.9%)
16 (17%)
35 (37.2%)

Total Members Voted: 94

RazorbackAlways

Atlhogfan1

0?

How do you measure?  Guess at how long it would take to avg a certain win total with a new coach inheriting Bielema's program?  Lots of factors would go into that like style of play meshing with current players, players buying in and attrition. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

rhames

I think someone could come here and win right away. At least at the level he has been winning.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Ragnar Hogbrok

I don't believe he's set us back. The problem is we haven't moved forward since his first year and show no signs of doing so.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

007 License To Squeal

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hog of steele

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 17, 2017, 12:29:44 pm
Refreshing take too. Very original

None he has advanced us from where he took the program over. We have a roster full of good kids. We have a respectable GPA. We are in good shape by most measures. And we are more ready to win now than we were the day he stepped in.

IDK what "years set back" really is, but our program is in better shape than it was the moment he became coach.

MultipleScoreGasms

0.  The foundation of our program is in good shape.  Much better than when he found it.  If he can't take it to the next level, someone else can pick up where he leaves off, and keep moving forward.

Hoggie17

Quote from: rhames on September 17, 2017, 12:23:38 pm

I think someone could come here and win right away. At least at the level he has been winning.
Son, that's not my idea of winning.       

Richard_white

Zero. We can blame the coaches but we have some good players.  I believe we need more coaches who can develop and teach the ones we have.  These players didn't get worse after the committed.

The next coach will have some really good young men to build a good program.

Calling All Hogs

CBB remains me of Stan Heath. Stan come in and bottomed out in wins his first year and then every year after that poor to moderate performance was called progress.

rhames

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 12:33:50 pm
Son, that's not my idea of winning.       

Good grief.  At least you aren't sending me any PMs at the crack of dawn like you were.

Your reading comprehension also needs work.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

bondhue

Quote from: rhames on September 17, 2017, 12:37:17 pm
Good grief.  At least you aren't sending me any PMs at the crack of dawn like you were.
He thinks it's you in the avatar.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

rhames

Quote from: bondhue on September 17, 2017, 12:46:42 pm
He thinks it's you in the avatar.

Could explain why he said he was disappointed in my age.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 17, 2017, 12:36:20 pm
CBB remains me of Stan Heath. Stan come in and bottomed out in wins his first year and then every year after that poor to moderate performance was called progress.

Hopefully BB won't leave a fragile program as Heath did needing a rebuild on and off the field after one season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hoggie17

King Kong

Zero. Now CBP set us back probably about 3 years

bondhue

That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

King Kong

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 17, 2017, 12:36:20 pm

Well CBB atleast graduates players.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bondhue

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 12:51:25 pm
I met a girl named Dawn just last month.
Was that before or after you guys went down on the USS Indianapolis?

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: The Chief on September 17, 2017, 12:28:48 pm
I don't believe he's set us back. The problem is we haven't moved forward since his first year and show no signs of doing so.

I could go with this except for his SEC record.  He's set us back there.

rhames

jkstock04

Conventional wisdom on here and from the media says that if and whenever we get another coach they will be able to step into a great situation because Bielema is building all sorts of quality depth and quality kids "the right way."

Of course "conventional wisdom" among what we are told for the most part turns out to be BS. I would say to the OP it depends on the type of coach we get. Probably take a good coach at least 2 years to get the train back on the track.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 17, 2017, 12:20:47 pm
0?

How do you measure?  Guess at how long it would take to avg a certain win total with a new coach inheriting Bielema's program?  Lots of factors would go into that like style of play meshing with current players, players buying in and attrition. 

This... What if by some miracle we win out..? No optimism at all. It would appear that the very thing happening to our program is happening to our message board. At what point does criticism become poisonous and actually begin to counteract it's intended goal? That is, assuming that goal is winning games, recruiting special athletes etc... If your goal is regime change just because you're tired and angry, vitriol can cause shortsightedness and hasty decisions that will set our program back far worse than 1 coach.

It may very well be next year, but in all honesty, we are very close to being a team to reckon with. If the players buy in and pull together we may see something good come around...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 01:10:20 pm

..but in all honesty, we are very close to being a team to reckon with..

OMG!  Based on what? Hope? History?

toxichog

It is a reasonable discussion to ask if CBB is capable of getting the job done at Arkansas.  I hope so, but I am frustrated and really starting to have my doubts.  However, to talk about him setting the "program" back is ludicrous and revisionist history.  Have we already forgot about where we were at when he arrived?  Remember John L. Smith?  Ramember what ended up being 3 consecutive poor recruiting classes?  If we have a new coach next year..........I promise you he will inherit a much better situation that Beilema did when he walked in.
So as far as setting it back........absolutely not at all.

RockyMtnHog

CBB had to rebuild this program from the ground up after the Petrino and Smith fiasco.  Do think that this can be built overnight in the SEC?  All of the expert analyst give CBB rave reviews for building the program right.  If you think this program is in the dumps, watch the fiasco at Ole Miss as it will take years to right that ship after the NCAA gets through with it.

I know that the fiasco at Ole Miss and here are two totally different scenarios but they are comparable.

Go Hogs!
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 17, 2017, 01:16:51 pm
OMG!  Based on what? Hope? History?

No... Based on the past two games. We're close, and if you look at it honestly you would see that too. YES we have fallen apart, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are incapable of turning things around.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HotlantaHog

Probably not a lot. The program isn't in great shape but it was in serious trouble after a year of Coach Smiles. Recruiting seems to be pretty consistent in the 25-35 range...

Not a fan, but I don't see that he has bombed the program either.

RazorbackAlways

40 have voted. Results are astonishing of how bad BB has done.

rhames

RazorbackAlways

Bubba's Bruisers

I guess I don't see why, but I'm admittedly dense.  Sure, a credible case can be made that he's peaked, but to say he's set us back 4-5 years?  I mean, yes, if you're talking about the 5 years while he was here, but not the following 5 years after his departure.  If he's gone ofter this season, I'd guess he will have left his replacement with some pretty nice talent to work with.  Not championship talent, but not bare bones that he and BP inherited when they arrived.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

rhames

Dark Helmet Hog

0-1

I think we have talent. It's just not well coached.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 17, 2017, 02:59:32 pm
40 have voted. Results are astonishing of how bad BB has done.

Petrino and his antics derailed the program. How far did he set it back?

KennyForAD

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 01:53:32 pm
No... Based on the past two games. We're close, and if you look at it honestly you would see that too. YES we have fallen apart, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are incapable of turning things around.

wow

WorfHog

None, if he leaves he'll leave the program in much better shape than when he got here. Think Danny Ford leaving Nutt a program with a solid foundation.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 17, 2017, 03:23:11 pm
wow

I'm shaking my head, too.  Some people just can't see what is right in front of their faces....

ceegar

I'm not a fan of our record the last few years but....I think BB has actually gotten the program in better shape than it was or has been in several years.  By most counts the players stay out of trouble, they go to class, they represent the school in a fine manner.  BB is well respected by his peers, the media, the BOT, his players (current and past), and most importantly his boss.  He recruits as well or better than previous Hog coaches.  He puts players in the NFL.  All of that being said,  I don't believe he has set the program back at all.  Has he won enough, absolutely not.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ceegar on September 17, 2017, 04:27:37 pm
I'm not a fan of our record the last few years but....I think BB has actually gotten the program in better shape than it was or has been in several years.  By most counts the players stay out of trouble, they go to class, they represent the school in a fine manner.  BB is well respected by his peers, the media, the BOT, his players (current and past), and most importantly his boss.  He recruits as well or better than previous Hog coaches.  He puts players in the NFL.  All of that being said,  I don't believe he has set the program back at all.  Has he won enough, absolutely not.

I agree with this. Good comments.

Set the program back? That's just trying to gin up another excuse for not liking him to begin with. I didn't like Nutt but he didn't set the program back. Some said that hiring Petrino would set the program back...that wasn't true although that isn't the kind of publicity that you need. Same with Nutt for that matter. JLS's single year at the helm made a laughing stock out of the Arkansas program and he might have actually set it back a year or two. Bielema hasn't set the program back at all. Like you said, he hasn't won enough but he sure as heck hasn't set it back at all.
Go Hogs Go!

Athog

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 17, 2017, 12:17:42 pm

None! Petrino with his motorcycle ride 10 years!

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 17, 2017, 03:19:40 pm
Petrino and his antics derailed the program. How far did he set it back?

Whoever hired JLS set it back...

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.