Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the in-state 2018 recruit we CAN NOT miss on?

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, September 15, 2017, 11:32:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

We've got a stud QB in Noland, a stud athlete in Bohanon, and about 6 other capable SEC level kids in Arkansas this year.

Just looking at the recruiting sites and not knowing anything about the kid. This Billy Ferrell out of Fordyce looks like a big ol' NG that we absolutely must land.  The 3-4 is dependent on dominant play at the nose.  We don't even enough of those types this season to have a NG rotation of scholarship players.

I think our depth at other positions could absorb losing Bishop. We badly need Bohanon on defense, I don't see why he wouldn't want to switch to LB or SS there's more NFL opportunities at those positions. The rest of the kids in-state we could figure something out at their positions but Ferrell is a must get.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

ricepig

Seebs

Non-scholarship players are starting for us as true freshmen so I would say that we need to get all of them as they may be starters next season.

Hard to be sarcastic when its true.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on September 15, 2017, 11:49:40 am
How many D-1 offers does Ferrell have?
Arkansas State, Memphis, Colorado State

Agree with the OP. I think Ferrell has more upside than Byers last year at DT and he's ready to play now. Not sure if he's qualified academically qualified yet.

pigskenG

can't afford to miss on any who are good enough to help us, as long as they are smart enough to get in school, or not dumb enough to stay in trouble.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

And Billy Ferrell gets his Alabama offer.

Good Riddance Bielema. Choosing the flighty and yet unqualified Gooden over Ferrell was a disaster. Hopefully Coach Morris corrects this and gets Billy to Fayetteville.

#1 STUNNA

Uncommon

December 07, 2017, 12:49:32 pm #7 Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:19:35 pm by Uncommon
Well let's look at the Top 10 according to RankByOffers.com:
Prospect                                    Location               Offers/Commitments
1. QB Gerry Bohannon                Earle, AR              16 offers
2. OL Noah Gatlin                       Jonesboro, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
3. DL Isaiah Nichols                    Springdale, AR      Verbally Committed to Arkansas
4. QB Connor Noland                  Greenwood, AR      Verbally Committed to Arkansas
5. OL Luke Jones                        Little Rock, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
6. DB LaDarrius Bishop               Ashdown, AR         Verbally Committed to Arkansas
7. DB Sean Michael Flanagan      Charleston, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
8. DL Billy Ferrell                        Fordyce, AR           7 offers
9. OL Jax Gasaway                     Star City, AR          7 offers
10. OL Larry Clark                      Blytheville, AR        4 offers

So, you have G-Bo of course who would fit in this offense.  Billy Ferrell who would be a good addition especially if we go back to a 4 down lineman scheme so more defensive tackles would be needed on the roster.

Then, there are two offensive line projects if we were looking to add more offensive line depth and had strucken out on some of our other OL targets in OT Jax Gasaway and OG Larry Clark who would require 2-3 years to develop.

cjack

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 12:49:32 pm
Well let's look at the Top 10 according to RankByOffers.com:
Prospect                                    Location               Offers/Commitments
1. QB Gerry Bohannon                Earle, AR              15 offers
2. OL Noah Gatlin                       Jonesboro, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
3. DL Isaiah Nichols                    Springdale, AR      Verbally Committed to Arkansas
4. QB Connor Noland                  Greenwood, AR      Verbally Committed to Arkansas
5. OL Luke Jones                        Little Rock, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
6. DB LaDarrius Bishop               Ashdown, AR          Verbally Committed to Mississippi State
7. ATH Sean Michael Flanagan     Charleston, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
8. QB Jaden Hill                         Ashdown, AR          5 offers
9. OL Jax Gasaway                     Star City, AR          7 offers
10. DL Billy Ferrell                      Fordyce, AR           5 offers

So you have G-Bo of course who would fit in this offense.  LaDarrius Bishop who could be added since 2 cornerback commits from Texas decommitted and we had 4 DB seniors graduate this season, another QB that will not likely be taken due to already going after two other Arkansas kids that are better, an offensive lineman that is long that could develop in our system as athletic former tight ends do (think Lane Johnson), and Billy Ferrell who has an opportunity since Gooden decommitted and if we go back to a 4 down lineman scheme so more defensive tackles will be needed on the roster.   

The kid at number 8 is going to play baseball at LSU.  He won't play football
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Uncommon

Quote from: cjack on December 07, 2017, 12:56:36 pm
The kid at number 8 is going to play baseball at LSU.  He won't play football
Oh yeah.  Forgot about that.  Thanks for the heads up.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Billy Ferrell

You have never seen a 6'3" 330 pound DT shake defenders in the open field or make one-handed TD catches until now:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6188103/5a0cd33702bc970c2402c689

Arkiebarkie

Bret was waiting for Billy Farrell to get qualified, mean time back at the farm, Bama, Louisville offer.
This kid will probably end up in JUCO but still need to offer to keep your foot in the door.
6'3" 330 pound SEC NG. Yep, i'm in.

HardingHog

Related to 2018 in-state kids we need to keep:
Looks like Arkansas commit Luke Jones will be on an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend. Judging by the highlights I've seen and the offense he played in, he's perfect for our new scheme so hopefully Coach Morris can keep him committed to the Hogs

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 12:49:32 pm
Well let's look at the Top 10 according to RankByOffers.com (the website hasn't updated Billy Ferrell to show an Alabama offer so he will likely go up from the 9 spot):
1. QB Gerry Bohannon                Earle, AR              15 offers
6. DB LaDarrius Bishop               Ashdown, AR          Verbally Committed to Mississippi State
7. ATH Sean Michael Flanagan     Charleston, AR       Verbally Committed to Arkansas
8. OL Jax Gasaway                     Star City, AR          7 offers
9. DL Billy Ferrell                        Fordyce, AR           5 offers *website hasn't been updated yet to show Alabama offer
10. OL Larry Clark                      Blytheville, AR        4 offers

So you have G-Bo of course who would fit in this offense.  LaDarrius Bishop who could be added since 2 cornerback commits from Texas decommitted and we had 3 cornerback seniors graduate this season, an offensive lineman that is long that could develop in our system as athletic former tight ends do (think Lane Johnson), a defensive tackle who has an opportunity since Gooden decommitted and if we go back to a 4 down lineman scheme so more defensive tackles will be needed on the roster, and an offensive guard prospect.   

I forgot all about #6.  I guess BB passed on him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

cjack

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 07, 2017, 04:10:53 pm
I forgot all about #6.  I guess BB passed on him.

Did he really?  Last I heard, he really wanted to come there and play with Montaric Brown but they were just kind of letting him blow in the breeze (paying no attention).  That kid is good.  He is lightning quick returning punts and has a smooth run, similar to Joe Adams.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Soooie21

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 15, 2017, 11:32:40 am
We've got a stud QB in Noland, a stud athlete in Bohanon, and about 6 other capable SEC level kids in Arkansas this year.

Just looking at the recruiting sites and not knowing anything about the kid. This Billy Ferrell out of Fordyce looks like a big ol' NG that we absolutely must land.  The 3-4 is dependent on dominant play at the nose.  We don't even enough of those types this season to have a NG rotation of scholarship players.

I think our depth at other positions could absorb losing Bishop. We badly need Bohanon on defense, I don't see why he wouldn't want to switch to LB or SS there's more NFL opportunities at those positions. The rest of the kids in-state we could figure something out at their positions but Ferrell is a must get.
Will we still run the 3-4...SMU ran the 4-3.

snf6278

Quote from: Soooie21 on December 07, 2017, 05:43:21 pm
He said today it would be a multiple scheme.

Oklahawg

Quote from: cjack on December 07, 2017, 04:27:22 pm
Did he really?  Last I heard, he really wanted to come there and play with Montaric Brown but they were just kind of letting him blow in the breeze (paying no attention).  That kid is good.  He is lightning quick returning punts and has a smooth run, similar to Joe Adams.

Not exactly.

Staff determined they had three slots for DBs. Flanigan, Hanspard, and McAlister (is that right? the other two from TX) accepted offers and Bishop was wanting to look around. He had the opportunity to get one of the spots. I bet he gets the chance again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Soooie21 on December 07, 2017, 05:43:21 pm

Wouldn't matter 3-4/4-3/5-2/5-3/1-6   Ferrell is a beast just waiting to become a star player.

JaketheSnake

Drunk Jedi

I have heard Ferrell nearly ran a sub 5.0 40yd dash the Arkansas camp.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on September 21, 2017, 07:43:47 am
Arkansas State, Memphis, Colorado State

Agree with the OP. I think Ferrell has more upside than Byers last year at DT and he's ready to play now. Not sure if he's qualified academically qualified yet.
Bama just offered
I love off season Football!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on September 15, 2017, 11:49:40 am
How many D-1 offers does Ferrell have?
Alabama and Arkansas is all I got to see

Quote from: Drunk Jedi on December 07, 2017, 06:53:53 pm
Quote from: JaketheSnake on December 07, 2017, 06:37:02 pm
Ferrell plays fast and nasty. 
Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 07, 2017, 06:23:33 pm
Wouldn't matter 3-4/4-3/5-2/5-3/1-6   Ferrell is a beast just waiting to become a star player.
This is the next Cortez Kennedy, y'all.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Uncommon

Updated the in-state rankings with the new offers from Alabama and Arkansas to Billy Ferrell.

Pig in the Pokey

LaDarius Bishop is pure speed and needs a hard look by Morris.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

regi

My brother lives in Monticello,  said the first time he saw Billy Ferrell run,  said he knew he was D1 material.  He was in the 9th grade.  Big man that moves like a little man.

cjack

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 07, 2017, 06:18:20 pm
Not exactly.

Staff determined they had three slots for DBs. Flanigan, Hanspard, and McAlister (is that right? the other two from TX) accepted offers and Bishop was wanting to look around. He had the opportunity to get one of the spots. I bet he gets the chance again.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not real up to date on recruiting. My wife is from Ashdown and I go with her dad to most games. They've had some really good talent come through there recently. Bishop is quick and it looks like he sees the field pretty good, but I know he's from a4A school so he isn't seeing the best competition.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

20gauge

Uncommon

JusJim

To answer your question...the one we can't miss on is the one we don't have...Bohannon

daprospecta

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 07, 2017, 01:24:18 pm
Billy Ferrell

You have never seen a 6'3" 330 pound DT shake defenders in the open field or make one-handed TD catches until now:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6188103/5a0cd33702bc970c2402c689
That is one athletic big man. Jason Peters was like this.  My freshman year(his last), we all went to the HPER to hoop. The man did a vertical windmill at 6'6 330.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has similar athleticism. 

Pig in the Pokey

that was fast. NEXT up, G-Bo , Ferrell, and a couple of Texas Twin 4*s....

SooieGeneris

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 15, 2017, 11:32:40 am

He wants to play QB. He has the ability to play QB. Stoerner has had him in QB camps.

Clint told Bo the other day that GB is a little raw, but has great ability at QB. Any body moved to defense who doesn't want to be there is not going to fill a need.

Noland is a stud in baseball also. May get drafted high in June's MLB draft if he doesn't enroll in Jan.

GB is perfect for CM's offense. I'm sure there were people at Clemson who wanted to move Watson or Kelly Bryant somewhere else when they signed, that would have been nuts.

Even if GB is never as good as Watson, if he turns out as good as Bryant, that's plenty good enough.

We can get LBs who aren't also athletic freaks at QB. We can move a corner or two who are here now to SS with Bishop in the fold. Curl might be better at safety for instance.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Watched GB's hudl and he sure does throw a pretty ball.  It doesn't float like Storey's and his accuracy deep drops right in place.

I'm getting more convinced that Bohannon can be a really good college QB.  We'll just see over time which QB has the leadership skills to push the team to punch above their weight.

Not too crazy about the kids out of Robinson but I'd certainly like to see Drew Winn get a chance to return kicks, he's shifty and has nice vision for cuts.  Winn could be a diamond in the rough, gotta see him prove it against legit competition though.

Pig in the Pokey

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Drunk Jedi on December 07, 2017, 06:53:53 pm

What the hell was Bret doing?

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 14, 2017, 10:47:38 pm
What the hell was Bret doing?

It has been explained before. Beliema didn't like to offer instate kids that hadn't qualified yet. With the signing rules (Numbers wise) you will lose the spot if the kid signs then doesn't qualify. If he got a commit and then had to pull the offer, then he felt like it would be a big backlash from the instate people.

Again, this has been explained many times before.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: southeasthog on December 15, 2017, 05:45:13 am
It has been explained before. Beliema didn't like to offer instate kids that hadn't qualified yet. With the signing rules (Numbers wise) you will lose the spot if the kid signs then doesn't qualify. If he got a commit and then had to pull the offer, then he felt like it would be a big backlash from the instate people.

That was a poor recruiting strategy. You can always build a relationship with someone instate that's a risk for not qualifying. If they don't qualify you can always go back and recruit them. Anyway that's the past and I'm glad we are out of the stone age.

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 15, 2017, 06:01:01 am
That was a poor recruiting strategy. You can always build a relationship with someone instate that's a risk for not qualifying. If they don't qualify you can always go back and recruit them. Anyway that's the past and I'm glad we are out of the stone age.

Building a relationship is different than offering a scholarship. I understood his policy and happened to agree with it as long as he was upfront with the kid. Tell them they have a spot if they qualify. Others thought it was a bad policy. To each his own.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

IronHog

Quote from: daprospecta on December 10, 2017, 10:21:29 pm
That is one athletic big man. Jason Peters was like this.  My freshman year(his last), we all went to the HPER to hoop. The man did a vertical windmill at 6'6 330.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has similar athleticism. 

Peters is a complete freak though

HOF LT career with horrible technique.  Just goes out and out athletes people.

What's crazy is Andrews was waaaay more physically gifted 😳
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: southeasthog on December 15, 2017, 06:10:23 am
Building a relationship is different than offering a scholarship. I understood his policy and happened to agree with it as long as he was upfront with the kid. Tell them they have a spot if they qualify. Others thought it was a bad policy. To each his own.

I guess Brown from last year was a different case. Arkansas football was on self imposed probation under Bret. You could offer and be honest from the jump. I'm done discussing Bret. Hammer down

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: southeasthog on December 15, 2017, 05:45:13 am

PLOT TWIST: Billy Ferrell was fully qualified before Bret left.

southeasthog

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 15, 2017, 07:58:10 am
PLOT TWIST: Billy Ferrell was fully qualified before Bret left.

This thread suggested otherwise. It is what I was going by.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=652227.0

But I forgot you are in the know on everything so .......

southeasthog

zebradynasty

Ferrell has some great feet for a kid his size. I like his pad level he bends at the waist and hips effortlessly. Excellent NG or DT. In my opinion better than Bjohn Jackson was in high school.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 14, 2017, 10:37:17 pm
Watched GB's hudl and he sure does throw a pretty ball.  It doesn't float like Storey's and his accuracy deep drops right in place.

I'm getting more convinced that Bohannon can be a really good college QB.  We'll just see over time which QB has the leadership skills to push the team to punch above their weight.

Not too crazy about the kids out of Robinson but I'd certainly like to see Drew Winn get a chance to return kicks, he's shifty and has nice vision for cuts.  Winn could be a diamond in the rough, gotta see him prove it against legit competition though.

Warren from Robinson is a division 1 athlete. Just gonna have to go to juco because of transferring issues. Top 2-3 player in 4a football this year. Behind Burks and Bishop. Maybe the most physical also.

hogfanny

BoynamedWooPigSooie

well, well, welll.....

We're getting the clean sweep on Tuesday.  Fence up and gate locked.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 17, 2017, 06:47:37 pm
well, well, welll.....

We're getting the clean sweep on Tuesday.  Fence up and gate locked.

Not according to Rice and others.  At least one flip is coming, another may not be solid, and another target isnt clear at all.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BoynamedWooPigSooie

They're used to losing like most Razorback fans.

This Chad Morris hire is gonna flip all that upside down, Arkansas football is gonna be fun again. It'll become an attractive place to play and a program that kids want to be a part of and will come from all over the country to wear that helmet.

It won't happen overnight but the hustle his coaching staff puts in on recruiting will pay off. They'll get the type of kids they need to play to the max. This will be evident. Arkansas will be in primetime games again, we'll be relevant again. The more Coach Morris is on National Media the more he'll become a household name.  We'll put it on some SEC teams that won't be expecting it. No more slow, lazy, fat players (and coaches). There's gonna be a palpable attitude coming off the field that will permeate itself into the fanbase and that will energize everything and will pay off in attracting players to the U. of A.

It's just flat out going to happen.