Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So are we in the Chip Kelly Sweepstakes are not?

Started by bkjbearcat, September 12, 2017, 07:59:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bkjbearcat

Seems like Arkansas was put in there just because.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/3-sec-schools-listed-yahoos-chip-kelly-sweepstakes/

https://sports.yahoo.com/chip-kelly-sweepstakes-update-170224388.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

"Current status: 1-1 after being handled at home by TCU, which leaves the threat of continued mediocrity hanging in the air. Chances of a coaching change: Bret Bielema's three-year plateau (7-6, 8-5, 7-6) shows every sign of continuing. Would another 7-6 year necessitate change? Who knows? Why fans believe Chip would be interested: They don't believe it, really. But they can convince themselves that Walmart execs will sail in and offer $10 million a year and make it happen. Why he might not be interested: Would you be, if you were Chip Kelly?"
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

go hogues

No. He'll be A&M or Ole Miss' man. Most likely A&M.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

3kgthog

If he were smart, he'd wait on Florida. They've got another Zook on their hands.

The Boar War

There's no way he gets fired if he gets to 7 wins.

bhogs05

There is no way Chip Kelly is coming here. Some of the names being thrown out on here is hilarious.  Surprised someone hasn't brought up Bill Belichik yet

mizzouman

Quote from: go hogues on September 12, 2017, 08:01:50 am
If Chip gets a gig next year in the SEC, I would agree with this post.

DeltaBoy

Nothing will change unless the BOT puts the screws to Long.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorbackAlways

Hope he doesnt wear the visor if he does. Ball cap is better.

hogcard1964

No chance.  What decent coach would want to come here now?

NaturalStateReb

Chip Kelly's not coming to Arkansas because Arkansas' not going to have a job opening.

The only thing crazier than paying a $15 million buyout is paying a $15 million buyout + the millions it would take to get Chip Kelly.

I think he'll be at Florida.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Redhogs

Quote from: bkjbearcat on September 12, 2017, 07:59:28 am
Seems like Arkansas was put in there just because.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/3-sec-schools-listed-yahoos-chip-kelly-sweepstakes/

https://sports.yahoo.com/chip-kelly-sweepstakes-update-170224388.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

"Current status: 1-1 after being handled at home by TCU, which leaves the threat of continued mediocrity hanging in the air. Chances of a coaching change: Bret Bielema's three-year plateau (7-6, 8-5, 7-6) shows every sign of continuing. Would another 7-6 year necessitate change? Who knows? Why fans believe Chip would be interested: They don't believe it, really. But they can convince themselves that Walmart execs will sail in and offer $10 million a year and make it happen. Why he might not be interested: Would you be, if you were Chip Kelly?"
Jeffe would have to get rid of Bert first...and that's not happening, no matter what.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogcard1964

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 12, 2017, 08:11:32 am
Chip Kelly's not coming to Arkansas because Arkansas' not going to have a job opening.

The only thing crazier than paying a $15 million buyout is paying a $15 million buyout + the millions it would take to get Chip Kelly.

I appreciate your optimism, but he's not coming here not because we're not going to have an opening, we probably will.  However, he's going to be hired before Bret is fired.  ...that being by January 1, 2018.

Texas A & M will make that move.  They don't appreciate mediocrity or bad football, we do.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 08:08:44 am
No chance.  What decent coach would want to come here now?

With UA's facilities?  In the SEC?  Great city of Fayetteville?  And an AD that is willing to pad your pockets if you don't succeed? 

Just about all of 'em!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 08:16:40 am
I appreciate your optimism, but he's not coming here not because we're not going to have an opening, we probably will.  However, he's going to be hired before Bret is fired.  ...that being by January 1, 2018.

Texas A & M will make that move.  They don't appreciate mediocrity or bad football, we do.

It's not optimism.  Arkansas isn't going to pay a $15 million buyout, so what Bret does or doesn't do this season doesn't really matter. 

Texas A&M has a gigantic amount of money.  They're basically Mississippi State with an insane line of credit.  Texas A&M is defined by its mediocrity.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Ironhawg

Is it just me or is the last sentence in that article kind of insulting?  That being said, Chip Kelly is not coming to Arkansas.  Neither is Jon Gruden.  First, we don't have an opening because Jeff Long has shackled us to Bielema for at least a couple more years.  Second, Arkansas is a tough sell to a high profile coach like Kelly.  You aren't going to sail in and start playing for championships right away.  You're going to have to work your tail off just to get competitive.   

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 12, 2017, 08:17:09 am
With UA's facilities?  In the SEC?  Great city of Fayetteville?  And an AD that is willing to pad your pockets if you don't succeed? 

Just about all of 'em!
One will be wearing a disguise.  Beware!

Ironhawg

Hoggish1

Quote from: go hogues on September 12, 2017, 08:01:50 am

Kelly at olemiss made me laugh... Thanks.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 12, 2017, 08:17:09 am

Just about all of 'em!

I can see your point. The other major factor is what other jobs are available. The U of A can have all those things, but if a school with those things plus access to more talent is available it would not be wise for them to take this job.

hogcard1964

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 12, 2017, 08:18:30 am
It's not optimism.  Arkansas isn't going to pay a $15 million buyout, so what Bret does or doesn't do this season doesn't really matter. 

Texas A&M has a gigantic amount of money.  They're basically Mississippi State with an insane line of credit.  Texas A&M is defined by its mediocrity.

It will be 11 million.  Which will be negotiated down even further.

AFWarrior83

No. We always miss out on opportunities to hire a good coach.
Hogville member since 2005.

Hoggish1

Kelly at olemiss made me laugh...
Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 12, 2017, 08:08:04 am
Hope he doesnt wear the visor if he does. Ball cap is better.

Ball cap worn backwards is even better LMAO

The real Hogules

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 12, 2017, 08:11:32 am

There were plenty of college football fans across the country that said the same thing when Bama signed Saban to his original contract, which was a little above 4 million a year. Fast forward to today and Saban is making 10 million a year and Bama is taking in over 100 million in revenue, and has multiple National Championships, all thanks to their forward (win at all costs) thinking!
I don't expect to beat every team on our sec shedule every year, but it would be nice to be competitive and occasionally win one against an Alabama.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

LJHOG

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 12, 2017, 08:46:14 am
I don't expect to beat every team on our sec shedule every year, but it would be nice to be competitive and occasionally win one against an Alabama.
Until we as fans and administration are prepared to embrace the Hugh Freeze recruiting method we will be relegated to the bottom half of the SEC for the foreseeable future.  Arkansas does not the recruiting base to support a competitive SEC team.  Never has, doesn't now, never will.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: bhogs05 on September 12, 2017, 08:06:23 am
  Surprised someone hasn't brought up Bill Belichik yet

He might be available.. I'm sure their fans are getting restless.. he hasn't won a game since preseason nor a Superbowl in so long I can't remember.

But no fear we have Gruden, Saban waiting in the wings....

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

Michael D Huff AIA

I'm not buying this Chip Kelley stuff either.  We won't have the coaching position open by the time he's being courted.

texas tush hog

Quote from: The Boar War on September 12, 2017, 08:06:12 am
There's no way he gets fired if he gets to 7 wins.

Not to worry 6 is his ceiling, possibly 5.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 12, 2017, 10:04:40 am
Not to worry 6 is his ceiling, possibly 5.

What then?  Is a losing record enough for him to keep his job, buyout or no?

Sadly I think it is.

GoHogzzGo

It is a nice dream but we gotta buy out CBB first. I wish.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hogdomer

Quote from: LJHOG on September 12, 2017, 08:55:01 am
Until we as fans and administration are prepared to embrace the Hugh Freeze recruiting method we will be relegated to the bottom half of the SEC for the foreseeable future.  Arkansas does not the recruiting base to support a competitive SEC team.  Never has, doesn't now, never will.
[/quo

Do we have a recruiting base that can beat TCU, Texas Tech and Toledo at home?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 12, 2017, 08:28:05 am
/thread!  Lol!!!

Just to complete the effect, please welcome our new coach Nouston Hutt:

GunnerHawg70

No.  We have a head coach.  IOT be in a "sweepstakes" there will have to be a vacancy if I'm not mistaken... ::)

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: bkjbearcat on September 12, 2017, 07:59:28 am
They don't believe it, really. But they can convince themselves that Walmart execs will sail in and offer $10 million a year and make it happen. Why he might not be interested: Would you be, if you were Chip Kelly?"

Wal-Mart needs to partner with Phil Night who'd take over all sports fashion related decisions from Jeff Long, immediately improving the uniforms which of course Wal-Mart would have exclusive rights to sell the new versions each week. 

Whatever color they might be in at least we'd know it would not be some shade of grey.  Get the right uniforms on the team and Arkansas would have its choice of Kelly or Gruden.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Please no. Kelly already wrecked my eagles. Please stay away from my hogs
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

PonderinHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on September 12, 2017, 10:20:07 am
Just to complete the effect, please welcome our new coach Nouston Hutt:

Yeah, that's the Guy!  Build that wall!  Protect the perimeter!

BearsBisonsBoars

Chip is on the record saying he doesn't like recruiting, and I guarantee you that the upper half of the defenses in our conference already know how to stop his gimmick-ball.

If he comes to the SEC, he'll be an unmitigated failure. Mark my words.

We need a barn burning recruiter who is able to adapt and game plan.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on September 12, 2017, 10:31:16 am
If he comes to the SEC, he'll be an unmitigated failure. Mark my words.

I figure Chip Kelly would be more of a mitigated SEC failure like Bobby Petrino and sadly Bret Bielema not an unmitigated failure as in:  Jack Crowe, Joe Kines, Danny ford, Houston Dale Nutt, Reggie Herring, John L Smith.

Did I miss anybody? 

jgphillips3

No.  We don't have an opening and, short of complete collapse we won't.  Also, the athletes we have are completely wrong for a Chip Kelly system.  It's just about an impossibility.