Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update on Rafe Peavey at SMU

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 24, 2017, 10:53:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Rafe is in a 3 way battle for the starting position with the Mustangs.  However, head coach Chad Morris indicates all 3 will probably play early.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2017/08/22/chad-morris-rush-name-smus-starting-quarterback

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

1highhog

gmarv

good for him,hope he becomes their starter.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: twistitup on August 24, 2017, 10:56:27 am
The Pony Express is BAAAACK

Guess you already twisteditup this morning  ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: 1highhog on August 24, 2017, 11:01:54 am
The Pony Express is BAAAACK
No it's nottttt.
Hahahahahaha!!!  Now that's funny!!! :)  Good luck Rafe P.!!!  Good on the young gun to transfer and has a legit chance as Mustangs QB1.

hogsanity

If this close to the opener you have 3 guys competing for the starting job you have issues.  You could have 3 really good qb's, but this is SMU so i am guessing you have 3 that are just ok.

Now someone explain why this is in mmqb.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 11:18:06 am
If this close to the opener you have 3 guys competing for the starting job you have issues.  You could have 3 really good qb's, but this is SMU so i am guessing you have 3 that are just ok.

I got this...Rafe is a Hog and ALWAYS will be a Hog. It's good to read and see something refreshing on MMQB besides ppl complaining about something they no control over or predicting Hogs season when we haven't had game 1 played yet...Love the avatar tho!!! ;)

FineAsSwine

Because some may want to keep up with Rafe, maybe? I was wondering about him myself.
Hogs up! Covid down!

NuttinItUp

Because he is a former Arkansas player, so it is Arkansas-related.

hogsanity

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 24, 2017, 11:22:20 am
I got this...Rafe is a Hog and ALWAYS will be a Hog. It's good to read and see something refreshing on MMQB besides ppl complaining about something they no control over or predicting Hogs season when we haven't had game 1 played yet...Love the avatar tho!!! ;)

Funny, no threads on any other players that transferred out without taking a snap in a game. Only a Qb that could not even make better than 4th on the depth chart.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hog13hog on August 24, 2017, 11:24:47 am
Rafe who?
Peavey.  You know the Frosh QB some of y'all wanted to replace BA/AA. Remember???   ;)

razorcash2

Is this where Vin Ascolese finally landed?

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 11:29:04 am
Funny, no threads on any other players that transferred out without taking a snap in a game. Only a Qb that could not even make better than 4th on the depth chart.
I can agree to that, but he has a good shot to be the starter. I'm sure if Ricky T. has a shot someone will post about it.  Wait, I just laughed because I don't even know what school he transferred to (again). :D 

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: razorcash2 on August 24, 2017, 11:34:19 am
Is this where Vin Ascolese finally landed?
HA!!!  I was waiting to see if a Vin joke would appear...Low and behold - Vin Ascolese!!!!   :)

razorcash2

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 24, 2017, 11:35:59 am
HA!!!  I was waiting to see if a Vin joke would appear...Low and behold - Vin Ascolese!!!!   :)

One of the greatest Hogs of all-time...even though he never touched the field.
His legend lives on!

Michael_E_Davis

Because the OP is popular here, and has a bunch of stars.  If it was a regular poster, it would have been deleted or moved within the hour.  There are a lot of double standards here.  I have posted topics that were deleted,  only to see the exact same thing posted by a starred OP,  and it remains. 
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 24, 2017, 11:38:56 am
Because the OP is popular here, and has a bunch of stars.  If it was a regular poster, it would have been deleted or moved within the hour.  There are a lot of double standards here.  I have posted topics that were deleted,  only to see the exact same thing posted by a starred OP,  and it remains. 

GunnerHawg70

Ranking the Happiness of MMQB fans...(see above).  LOL

MultipleScoreGasms

Thanks for posting.  Found myself on the SMU campus over the weekend, and was wondering about Rafe.  Hope it turns out well for him.

RME

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 24, 2017, 11:34:31 am
I can agree to that, but he has a good shot to be the starter. I'm sure if Ricky T. has a shot someone will post about it.  Wait, I just laughed because I don't even know what school he transferred to (again). :D

Holy Hell I had 100% forgotten about that guy.

Nah, your topics are just legitimately worthy of the trash. One about the Charlottesville protest affecting our recruiting and one about Bielema "stepping down" (what coach does that?). Plus people on here are aware of your Twitter antics towards Bielema and former Hogs.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 24, 2017, 11:52:51 am

Nah, your topics are just legitimately worthy of the trash. One about the Charlottesville protest affecting our recruiting and one about Bielema "stepping down" (what coach does that?). Plus people on here are aware of your Twitter antics towards Bielema and former Hogs.
Needed to be said.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

colbs

Quote from: razorcash2 on August 24, 2017, 11:37:27 am
One of the greatest Hogs of all-time...even though he never touched the field.
His legend lives on!
He is a big reason why Jared Cornelius recommitted to Arkansas.

younghog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 24, 2017, 11:31:14 am
Peavey.  You know the Frosh QB some of y'all wanted to replace BA/AA. Remember???   ;)

CLASSIC
GO HOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 24, 2017, 11:34:31 am

Ricky is at Ventura College, a juco.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 24, 2017, 11:52:51 am

My twitter antics toward Bielema and Former hogs?  Please explain what you are talking about with factual evidence.  And, I mean,  please post some of my twitter antics toward former players and Bielema.. or risk looking like a complete idiot.  And, if you are talking about the one twitter post I made to Drew Morgan about it being too late for Prayer,  that is one post,  and it was not any antics against anyone.  I will await your evidence,  and look forward to making you look stupid when you have none.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

greenEGnHAWGS

I'm honestly happy for the update. Rage was 100% ALL HOG. I still remember his picture when he committed with the girls holding up signs of the other schools that wanted him then one that said "Arkansas HAS him".

Thank you for posting this. I hope he does well at SMU.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 11:29:04 am

I get where you are coming from, but I agree with everyone else. Kid was all hog and I want nothing but success for him and like getting a periodic update.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

*cough* florida *cough* A&M *cough* Tennessee*
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

gchamblee

I think it has more to do with you than it does how many stars are under your name lol. Maybe you should tweet about it and see if you can rake up some sympathy.

RME

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 24, 2017, 12:43:19 pm
My twitter antics toward Bielema and Former hogs?  Please explain what you are talking about with factual evidence.  And, I mean,  please post some of my twitter antics toward former players and Bielema.. or risk looking like a complete idiot.  And, if you are talking about the one twitter post I made to Drew Morgan about it being too late for Prayer,  that is one post,  and it was not any antics against anyone.  I will await your evidence,  and look forward to making you look stupid when you have none.

Dude, the absolute last thing on my agenda today is to go through your Tweets, of which there are almost 5,000. Besides, the one Tweet you made towards Bielema and Morgan says enough about you as it is. I don't need to see much else.

https://twitter.com/MichaelEDavis17/status/893980533927161856

BigSexyHog

Love the kid and hope he kills it at SMU
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

WizardofhOgZ

Others have replied - but, since I am the OP and the question was directed to me, I'll respond as well.

In the course of any year, some players come and others go.  Most often (though not always), the ones departing are among those who walked on, or couldn't play elsewhere and so transferred in hoping for a chance.  Sometimes, they are "name" players who came and frittered their chance at Arkansas away by bad behavior.

Rafe was "none of the above".  He was a very high-profile recruit at THE most celebrated of positions (QB), and a great deal of fanfare accompanied his commitment, de-commitment, re-commintment and signing.  He was very popular with our fans, and there was a lot of positive anticipation of his time on the field.  Plus, he said and did all the right things.

Ultimately, he lost the QB battle among a group of strong contenders.  His heart was at Arkansas, but he knew he probably wouldn't get a chance to play here, so he made a hard decision.  Even in doing so, he was very careful to do it with class, and wrote an open letter to Hog fans explaining the decision.  That, alone, continued to elevate him in the eyes of many.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/23/peavey-transferring-smu/

So - are there some "fans" who don't give a flip about him now, and don't want to read updates about him?  I'm sure there are.  But, I'm also very confident that among Arkansas fans, many, many more DO have an interest in his career going forward, and appreciate the update. 

If you are not one of the latter - fine.  I don't care, either way - really.  But then again, NO post made here makes everyone happy.  So, I guess I can live with your disapproval. 

Does that pretty well answer it for you?

a0ashle

You'd have to be pretty petty to not be happy for the kid and to begrudge others the update and chance to be happy for him. I always enjoy hearing about former Hogs, transfer or not.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 24, 2017, 01:24:22 pm
Others have replied - but, since I am the OP and the question was directed to me, I'll respond as well.

In the course of any year, some players come and others go.  Most often (though not always), the ones departing are among those who walked on, or couldn't play elsewhere and so transferred in hoping for a chance.  Sometimes, they are "name" players who came and frittered their chance at Arkansas away by bad behavior.

Rafe was "none of the above".  He was a very high-profile recruit at THE most celebrated of positions (QB), and a great deal of fanfare accompanied his commitment, de-commitment, re-commintment and signing.  He was very popular with our fans, and there was a lot of positive anticipation of his time on the field.  Plus, he said and did all the right things.

Ultimately, he lost the QB battle among a group of strong contenders.  His heart was at Arkansas, but he knew he probably wouldn't get a chance to play here, so he made a hard decision.  Even in doing so, he was very careful to do it with class, and wrote an open letter to Hog fans explaining the decision.  That, alone, continued to elevate him in the eyes of many.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/23/peavey-transferring-smu/

So - are there some "fans" who don't give a flip about him now, and don't want to read updates about him?  I'm sure there are.  But, I'm also very confident that among Arkansas fans, many, many more DO have an interest in his career going forward, and appreciate the update. 

If you are not one of the latter - fine.  I don't care, either way - really.  But then again, NO post made here makes everyone happy.  So, I guess I can live with your disapproval. 

Does that pretty well answer it for you?

Mic drop... :D

Dwight_K_Shrute

This was a kid that wanted to be a Hog.  He went to the UofA gave it his best shot then transferred with no ill will.  Was not a troublemaker.  Did not speak badly about the coaches or program.  By all accounts was a good teammate.  I even heard on more than one occasion that he really liked being in Fayetteville.

He did not go to another SEC school or even another P5 school.  You would have to be a total D not to wish the kid well.  And just a miserable petty person to B about it being in MMQB.   

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

supersaint

His dad was a GA at Ark a long time ago.  Taught me how to deep snap. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

DeltaBoy

I hope he starts and does great at SMU, He is a classy young man.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

some of you guys are nothing but arse turds.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsanity

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2017, 01:38:51 pm
This was a kid that wanted to be a Hog.  He went to the UofA gave it his best shot then transferred with no ill will.  Was not a troublemaker.  Did not speak badly about the coaches or program.  By all accounts was a good teammate.  I even heard on more than one occasion that he really liked being in Fayetteville.

He did not go to another SEC school or even another P5 school.  You would have to be a total D not to wish the kid well.  And just a miserable petty person to B about it being in MMQB.   

No, we get told every year that mmqb is for ARKANSAS FOOTBALL. If you want to update about former players, put it in general sports or some other forum. I wish him no ill will, but he left. Just like other players have left.

And the only reason he was popular with the fans was because they thought he was going to come in here and the hogs were going to start running the read option, qb run around and make up plays as you go offense.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 02:24:18 pm
No, we get told every year that mmqb is for ARKANSAS FOOTBALL.
Thats how the powers that be let you know that they really don't want you starting threads.

Mmqb is for interesting stuff. If you've been given the old "this is for Arkansas football only" routine, then you got the message board version of "it's not you, it's me".

They were just too polite to tell you that your thread sucked.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

hoghiker

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2017, 01:38:51 pm

Ditto

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 02:24:18 pm
No, we get told every year that mmqb is for ARKANSAS FOOTBALL. If you want to update about former players, put it in general sports or some other forum. I wish him no ill will, but he left. Just like other players have left.

And the only reason he was popular with the fans was because they thought he was going to come in here and the hogs were going to start running the read option, qb run around and make up plays as you go offense.

I'm a little curious why you aren't protesting the other "non-Arkansas Football" thread like the NFL Hogs thread. Or even the Play-calling or Pop-culture threads.

The kid was a Hog through and through. If you asked him today, I guarantee he'd still wish he was a Hog, but he had to move on to see the field to give him even a glimmer of hope for future aspirations.

No need to discredit a thread cuz YOU don't think it should. If you really think it shouldn't be here, then go back and protest the others as well.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on August 24, 2017, 03:27:59 pm
I'm a little curious why you aren't protesting the other "non-Arkansas Football" thread like the NFL Hogs thread. Or even the Play-calling or Pop-culture threads.

The kid was a Hog through and through. If you asked him today, I guarantee he'd still wish he was a Hog, but he had to move on to see the field to give him even a glimmer of hope for future aspirations.

No need to discredit a thread cuz YOU don't think it should. If you really think it shouldn't be here, then go back and protest the others as well.

It will be interesting to see which non arkansas football threads get to stay and which ones don't. 

bennyl08

Figured this was as good a thread as any to update on some other hog transfers.

Otha Peters. He was a stud LB for us his true freshmen year in 2012. Was injured in 2013 for us and transferred after not fitting in with the new coaching regime.

Otha is currently in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks. His senior at ULL, he had 97 tackles, 11 tfl, 2 sacks, 2 fr's, 1 forced, and 3 passes defended. At his pro day, he ran the 40 time in 4.78 (1.67 split), 23 reps on the bench, 31" vert, 9'2" broad, 4.26 shuttle, and a 7.09 3-cone at 6'0 238. Very comparable to Brooksie.

Talking about a lack of speed, Ray Buchanan Jr transferred away. His pro day numbers were 4.76 forty (1.66 split), 9 reps, 34" vert, 9'5" broad, 4.72 shuttle, and 7.03 3-cone drill at 5'10 184. So, about as athletic as Peters but 50 pounds less. However, he's still got an udfa with the falcons. Not sure if he is still with them. Would be surprised if he makes any cuts though.

Remember Myke Tavarres? Coach talked about him as one of our most athletic LB'ers at the time. 6'1 230, 4.79 forty (1.67 split), 15 reps, 36.5" vert, 10'7" broad, 4.51 shuttle, 7.18 3-cone. So, yeah, he ranked among our fastest LB'ers, pretty tight hips though it seems from those numbers. However, with that vert and broad, a great first step. Spaight made us forget all about these guys in 2014, but think about some of our other starters in 2013 or depth. Would have been nice to have some other guys that were running the forty in under 5 seconds (cough Jarrett Lake cough) .

Duwop is getting his first year to play at Rutgers here in 2017.

Jovan Pruitt was was part of the 2016 recruiting class finishing his time in community college but can't see if he went anywhere.

Sykes transferred to TTU and should be eligible to play this year.

Andrew Peterson: can't see anything from his time at southern Miss.

Tyler Gilbert turns out was pretty athletic. 6'2 254, 4.64 (1.66), 21 reps, 29.5" vert, 9'7" broad, 4.55 shuttle, 7.38 3cone. Ended up playing DE for tulane.

Lonnie Gosha filled up to 310 pounds (247 had him at like 275). Won't do his full pro day, but he ran a 5.54 forty time with a 1.87 split. 21 reps on the bench  at 6'2.

Kelvin Fisher Jr lived up to his highlight video from HS (which i thought was much better than Whitehurst's) athletically. 5'10 197, 4.62 forty (1.60 split), 37.5" vert, 10'3" broad, 4.26 shuttle, 6.94 3-cone. Had a brief stint with the Bills in the NFL. Didn't rack up a ton of stats at UTEP though.

Mekale McKay got a combine invite at 6'4 207. At the combine, ran a 4.55 (1.62), 12 reps, 35" vert, 10'3" broad, 4.63 shuttle, 7.08 3-cone. Improved his vert to 37.5", shuttle down to 4.29, and improved his 10 yard split to 1.53 though his forty somehow fell to 4.61 in the process. UDFA to the Colts I thought. Is currently listed at 6'5 210 with the Titans but is still in the NFL.

That's about all I've got.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tusks

I asked in another thread as well, but why did Sykes leave?  He played as FR it seems like and looked promising.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 03:35:06 pm
It will be interesting to see which non arkansas football threads get to stay and which ones don't.

Typically during the off-season, the mods are a bit more lenient unless the thread goes off the rails or something.

IMO, once a hog, always a hog, unless you actively go out to try and sever the connection. However, it isn't always that easy. Think back to early Bielema years here with Mitchell transferring to NC State. For me, yeah, he arguably deserved to be on here more than McFadden because while BM transferred, his name is forever etched onto the sidewalk here having earned a degree at the UofA while Dmac left early for the NFL and didn't finish his degree. Obviously Dmac had his named etched into our record books and I'm somewhat playing devil's advocate there but yeah, BM graduated as a hog. However, posters used his transfer and threads about him to bash Bielema and thus threads were moved or trashed that were about Brandon. Obviously, we don't want mindless hate against the hogs in here so it makes sense, but I felt bad for BM.

So for me, if a player leaves here before their eligibility is up due to trying to advance their own careers and aren't abrasive in their departure, then I still consider them hawgs. However, once kickoff happens, I wouldn't recommend starting any threads on transfers as it will likely be moved. Hog season on mmqb is for current hogs usually. Maybe NFL hogs in a single thread type of thing. Off-season where conversation is otherwise limited, the rules are relaxed a bit.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse