Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something you don't see too often . . .

Started by heavylifting, August 16, 2017, 01:18:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

heavylifting

This comment line from the chart footnotes from Tuesday's 2nd race at Presque Isle --

LILY RAE WAS CAST IN THE GATE AND SCRATCHED BY THE STEWARDS ON THE ADVICE OF THE VETERINARIAN.

A 2-year-old maiden, she must have reared, lost her footing and came down beneath the gate. I'm not sure what they did in this case to extract her, but I remember a similar incident happening on an opening day at Saratoga back in the mid-to-late 1990s when a Bill Mott horse did the same thing. They couldn't get him out of there safely under his own power, so they had to tranquilize him to knock him out. Once he was knocked out, they moved the starting gate, then waited for him to wake up, at which point he rose and left the track. Naturally, he was scratched.

Also reminds me of another incident I witnessed circa 2000 at Monmouth Park, but in the walking ring, which is within spitting distance of the valet parking lot (although a fence and shrubbery separate them). A motorcycle rolled through the parking lot, the biker revved its engine loudly and repeatedly, and a stakes winning gelding named Beknown to Me reared and landed with one of his legs beneath the fence that separates the walking ring from the spectators. He was immediately scratched, tranquilized by an attending vet and then Larry Collmus got on the public address system asking the track carpenter to report to the walking ring. The carpenter had to saw out the portions of the fence that would enable the gelding to get his footing upon waking. A bizarre and unsettling experience.