Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 09:27:49 pm

Fort Bliss

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, July 21, 2017, 11:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar Hogbrok

Welp, my next assignment is 3-6 CAV (AH-64D) at Fort Bliss in El Paso.  What are fun things to do in and around El Paso?  I've been to Bliss several times over the last few years, but never had the opportunity to see the locale. 
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Großer Kriegschwein

I know a Brigade XO down there. I could link you up with him if you want.
This is my non-signature signature.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 22, 2017, 03:02:54 pm
I know a Brigade XO down there. I could link you up with him if you want.

Thanks, but I tend to stay away from RLOs as I never know who I might be working with.  Some of my former crew chiefs are there and they have positive things to say.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Pork Twain

Just left there and that PX/food court is nicer than anything I ever saw in my 21+ years in the AF
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

pigture perfect

One of the best steaks of my life was eaten at the Cattleman's Steakhouse about 30 minutes outside of town at Indian Wells or Springs. It's a great place to take your kids to as well. They have a petting zoo and a Stage Coach museum.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

I did a lot a mnt biking in the desert.  I also had fun picking thorns out of my shins.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 24, 2017, 03:47:12 pm
One of the best steaks of my life was eaten at the Cattleman's Steakhouse about 30 minutes outside of town at Indian Wells or Springs. It's a great place to take your kids to as well. They have a petting zoo and a Stage Coach museum.

I've heard about this place.  It's definitely on the list.

RideTillIDieHawg

Fort Bliss gets a bad rep from people that have never been there or people that went as junior enlisted and think the bars around the base suck.

Great duty station. El Paso has a really good restaurant scene, minor league baseball, good basketball program at UTEP, skiing two hours away, and the best motorcyle riding you'll ever find.

Also the on post facilities are so nice you'll think you're on an air force base.

hawg1221

I went there for PLDC in 2005. So I was basically a prisoner there.

hogginbama

Graduated basic training there in '87, best memory was the trip across the border on graduation weekend and the .25 cent shots of tequila.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 24, 2017, 03:47:12 pm

Went there today. As good as advertised.