Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Stoops is O-U-t

Started by Porked Tongue, June 07, 2017, 02:06:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WorfHog

June 07, 2017, 09:31:39 pm #100 Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:26:45 pm by WorfHog
Quote from: goodguytex on June 07, 2017, 08:43:42 pm
That's what I'm thinking

I was thinking that too until I read what MuskogeeHogFan posted about the health issues. What does Bob Stoops have left to prove? I'm starting to think he buried his dad young (who was only 54) and realized he's 57. Spend the time you have wisely and all.

hawganatic

Quote from: Smokehouse on June 07, 2017, 08:20:51 pm
If anyone should be worried about attention it's the OU softball team. Win back-to-back national championships and then Bob drops this the next day and blows up your media attention in Norman.

Like the OU softball team was going to get alot of pub from their championship, regardless?  Doubt anybody but the hardcore softball fans knew this.

Ā 

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 07, 2017, 02:30:19 pm
Insert HDN pic here.
Quote from: rljjr on June 07, 2017, 02:24:00 pm
Hootie missed another one.
The only way Oklahoma lands in the Nutthouse is if they appoint a stupid selection committee, have Quinn Grovey head it and the LR sports media handles the reporting.

LRRandy

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on June 07, 2017, 10:20:40 pm
The only way Oklahoma lands in the Nutthouse is if they appoint a stupid selection committee, have Quinn Grovey head it and the LR sports media handles the reporting.
so....you're saying there's a chance?
This is fun, isn't it.

Sivad

Quote from: LRRandy on June 07, 2017, 10:22:59 pm
so....you're saying there's a chance?
It WOULD be high art seeing assistant coach Danny Nutt riding onto the field atop the Boomer Sooner wagon and fingergunning the crowd.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 07, 2017, 02:36:50 pm
Currently has booster cables hooked up to his balls, trying to get his piss hot.

You gotta get that karma thing turned back on man!!  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Snortingred1

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 02:15:05 pm
WOW.

They should hire Bret.

Why?  CBB is our coach, and I'd hate to see him go.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Snortingred1 on June 07, 2017, 10:32:03 pm
Why?  CBB is our coach, and I'd hate to see him go.

Yeah, what would we do without those 6-7 wins...
Go away, batin'

Sportsguy

June 07, 2017, 11:56:49 pm #108 Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:18:50 am by Sportsguy
Quote from: Oklahawg on June 07, 2017, 04:10:43 pm
Medium Game Bob will no longer torment Sooner fans by clubbing the darn out of inferior teams and fail against good teams in big games.

I quit seeing Stoops as an elite coach about a decade ago. He is very good, mind you, but not elite.

Health still being kicked around as the underlying factor. As in, "sick and tired of my thugs giving the program a black eye and my president having told me 'no more'!"

Your bitterness, from living in Oklahoma and seeing their success every year, has made your posts about them always so salty. Stoops was a top 3 or 4 coach in the game. Anyone that disputes that is clearly blinded by bitterness. His dominance of SEC is well documented. Just send him on with congratulations and move on. Let's be classy.  We are better than that, Okla. WPS

Sivad

A Texas Longhorn fantasy:

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Sivad on June 08, 2017, 12:18:14 am
A Texas Longhorn fantasy:

I thought is a promo for a Houston-OU-Nebraska-Texas Tech Basketball Classic.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

riccoar

Houston could never do that to Okie Lite.  He loves the Cowboy helmet too much.

Ā 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 07, 2017, 11:23:00 pm
What I don't get is all the conspiracy theory crap.  The man has worked a long time, made a ton of money, and endeared himself to a historic program.  Maybe he just want to enjoy the few years he has left on earth.  Maybe he think there is more to life than football being that he has given his life to it.  You people are stupid!  We don't know why but I will NEVER question a man who decides it's time to walk away from a passion and profession.  I hope he enjoys the rest of his life to the fullest!

There isn't a conspiracy theory. On the previous page I quoted things that he said with reference to his family medical history (on his Dad's side) that speaks to the reasoning for this move. As long as I can remember since he has been at OU, this heart disease thing and the young deaths of male family members has always been in his head. In his words with regard to male members of his family, "We've all got it, I've just got it worse", meaning the gene for heart disease. He's not sick now, he just doesn't want to die on the job and he wants to spend more time with his family. His boys will be Seniors this coming school term.

So, no conspiracy, just a guy who wants to be around long enough to enjoy being a Grandfather so he removed himself from a very stressful position. Go back and click the link to an article that was written in 2010 that offers more details about this.
Go Hogs Go!

Health, Marriage, Big Time Job outside of Football but no way just deciding to retire.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 07, 2017, 02:13:06 pm
Yep, effective immediately per Bruce Feldman.

I bet Sooner fans are pissed. Smells like a set-up to get the guy in that Stoops and the AD want without benefit of the normal coaching search that would come after the season.
bingo
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rljjr

Quote from: Sportsguy on June 07, 2017, 11:56:49 pm
Your bitterness, from living in Oklahoma and seeing their success every year, has made your posts about them always so salty. Stoops was a top 3 or 4 coach in the game. Anyone that disputes that is clearly blinded by bitterness. His dominance of SEC is well documented. Just send him on with congratulations and move on. Let's be classy.  We are better than that, Okla. WPS

Stoops brought some of the saltiness upon himself with his comments/attitude. Good coach, though. It takes a good coach to be consistently winning double digits for 18 years. Is he elite? No. You have to consider he did this at OU, playing in one of the worst football conferences of all time. That's just one variable to his success. He gets credit for bringing them back to relevance, but IMO he's still the 3rd best coach in OU history behind Bud and Barry. That doesn't mean he isn't a good coach or a good guy. I've heard stories about him that indicate he is both. But elite? Nah.

CPO Hog

Lots of OU fans here where I work (OKC). Most are fine with Lincoln Riley as HC. Some have been saying for a couple years that Bob has lost his fire and were ready for him to leave. I'm hearing big Game Bob will have an office in the OU Athletic center to continue mentoring LR.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2017, 03:55:00 pm
Get Wildhog to pay for it. He seems to think he knows how to run an Athletic department.................
Thought I was the only one who noticed  ::)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pistol Pig Maravich

Chicago is not far at all from South Bend!!!   Kelly better win big this year.

Stephen Greene

hoghearted

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 07, 2017, 02:46:32 pm
I am now going dig my eye balls out with a melonballer.

Thanks, Wilson.

lol
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 12247 on June 08, 2017, 07:03:11 am
Health, Marriage, Big Time Job outside of Football but no way just deciding to retire.

Sure nobody ever does that....................wrong. It happens ALL the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ā 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: goodguytex on June 07, 2017, 08:43:42 pm
That's what I'm thinking
I think if he coaches again it will be NFL.  Cleveland or Chicago.  Believe it or not, Switzer and Pat Jones both agreed the stress level was less in the NFL since you don't have the recruiting aspect.

Smokehouse

Quote from: hawganatic on June 07, 2017, 10:13:18 pm
Like the OU softball team was going to get alot of pub from their championship, regardless?  Doubt anybody but the hardcore softball fans knew this.

There's a reason I said "In Norman." I'm not a softball or a Sooner fan but I knew a lot about that team just by living here. Went from lots of talk about it on campus to only talk about Stoops.

But, mainly, I was just trying to crack a joke about it.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: CPO Hog on June 08, 2017, 08:18:55 am
Lots of OU fans here where I work (OKC). Most are fine with Lincoln Riley as HC. Some have been saying for a couple years that Bob has lost his fire and were ready for him to leave. I'm hearing big Game Bob will have an office in the OU Athletic center to continue mentoring LR.

Here is what should be considered.

Bob Stoops at OU with Venables.

139 wins  (avg. 10.69 wins per season)    4 National Championship games    1 National Championship

It should be kept in mind that Venables was the Associate Head Coach for some of those years.

Bob Stoops at OU without Venables

51 wins (avg. 10.2 wins per season)    0 National Championship games

The wins per season average for Stoops went down and the National Championship aspect decreased after Venables left.

Clemson with Venables

60 wins (avg. 12 wins per season)   2 National Championship games   1 National Championship

HamSammich

Quote from: husker71 on June 07, 2017, 06:46:19 pm
just saw that he bought a home for about $2.5 million in Chicago 2 months ago    so maybe this wasnt such a spur of the moment deal  BUT Chicago???
Better hospitals

LRRandy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 08, 2017, 01:39:13 pm
Here is what should be considered.

Bob Stoops at OU with Venables.

139 wins  (avg. 10.69 wins per season)    4 National Championship games    1 National Championship

It should be kept in mind that Venables was the Associate Head Coach for some of those years.

Bob Stoops at OU without Venables

51 wins (avg. 10.2 wins per season)    0 National Championship games

The wins per season average for Stoops went down and the National Championship aspect decreased after Venables left.

Clemson with Venables

60 wins (avg. 12 wins per season)   2 National Championship games   1 National Championship
then why will no one hire venables as a head coach?
This is fun, isn't it.

WilsonHog

Bob Stoops and I are about the same age. If I had is money and had enjoyed the level of success he has over the years, I guarantee I would have retired by now. If anyone asked me what I was going to do, my stock answer would be, "Any damn thing I want to."

That's the American Dream. Spend 30 years doing a job you love and make enough money doing it that you can comfortably retire with enough years left to enjoy it.

Pig in the Pokey

Agreed, WilsonHog. He's done. And why not? Live a little! We waste a LOT of our lives slaving away. May as well enjoy the fruits of your labors. And , genetically, He probably wont live until 80-something, so, he may as well retire in his 50's. Should have left a couple years ago, tbh. He must have felt a real duty to groom a proper successor.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! Ā„420Ā„   Ā«roastin da bomb in fayettenamĀ» Purspirit Gang

rzrbk4life

I'm sure the year in and year out grind of the Big 12 isn't easy. It's gotta be tough getting up for those 2-3 hard games a year...
Let's call those hogs!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rzrbk4life on June 08, 2017, 06:53:02 pm
I'm sure the year in and year out grind of the Big 12 isn't easy. It's gotta be tough getting up for those 2-3 hard games a year...

The man has heart disease, passed down through his family. Hid Dad died at 54 and his Uncle also died at a young age. Stoops said that all of the male members of his family carry the gene, he just has it the worst of all of his brothers. This has been on his mind over the years and he has mentioned it before. His twin sons are headed into their Senior year of HS this fall and Stoops turns 57 in September.

With that kind of hereditary health problem, having made the money that he has, having had the success that he has and wanting to live long enough to be a Grandfather, I can see why he wanted to hang it up. Can't blame him a bit.
Go Hogs Go!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Sivad on June 07, 2017, 10:26:04 pm
It WOULD be high art seeing assistant coach Danny Nutt riding onto the field atop the Boomer Sooner wagon and fingergunning the crowd.

So many great images in my head.

Don't know if this has been mentioned...today I heard that Stoops was thinking about quitting in mid-season LAST year. While they were on a winning streak. It really sounds like he wanted to be done. And now he is.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. ā€”Torqued Pork

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 08, 2017, 06:29:43 am
There isn't a conspiracy theory. On the previous page I quoted things that he said with reference to his family medical history (on his Dad's side) that speaks to the reasoning for this move. As long as I can remember since he has been at OU, this heart disease thing and the young deaths of male family members has always been in his head. In his words with regard to male members of his family, "We've all got it, I've just got it worse", meaning the gene for heart disease. He's not sick now, he just doesn't want to die on the job and he wants to spend more time with his family. His boys will be Seniors this coming school term.

So, no conspiracy, just a guy who wants to be around long enough to enjoy being a Grandfather so he removed himself from a very stressful position. Go back and click the link to an article that was written in 2010 that offers more details about this.

Don't think you are the know all be all here. There are some things coming out about ole Bob but at OU they are the best at keeping things quiet when it comes to wrong doing. Actually the best ever at that. Regardless the timing is very suspicious. And you acting like you know for a fact that it's just the heart thing is ridiculous.

I would bet he's coaching in 2 years unless something bad comes out.

Porked Tongue

You won't convince me there isn't a body of some kind in the closet.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 08, 2017, 05:20:29 pm
Bob Stoops and I are about the same age. If I had is money and had enjoyed the level of success he has over the years, I guarantee I would have retired by now. If anyone asked me what I was going to do, my stock answer would be, "Any damn thing I want to."

That's the American Dream. Spend 30 years doing a job you love and make enough money doing it that you can comfortably retire with enough years left to enjoy it.

Have long had enough money to retire and will never retire. Own two companies and will work as long as possible. I know there are a lot like me also. Don't know what I would do golfing would get old and vacations would not be fun anymore. Work till I die!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 08, 2017, 08:27:19 pm

There are..No way he would retire at this part of the year without something happening it's funny to hear people on a Razorback Board treating the guy like he's a super great guy. He's not never has been and isn't.

One good thing is this new coach they hired will be a dumpster fire and OU will be back to the Blake days pretty soon. Screw Blow U and it's followers on here!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 08, 2017, 08:26:02 pm
Don't think you are the know all be all here. There are some things coming out about ole Bob but at OU they are the best at keeping things quiet when it comes to wrong doing. Actually the best ever at that. Regardless the timing is very suspicious. And you acting like you know for a fact that it's just the heart thing is ridiculous.

I would bet he's coaching in 2 years unless something bad comes out.

Well whatever, there could be, but I am just giving you the lay of the land since 2010, so it isn't like it is a recent excuse.

Please tell us about it. I don't know of one but I guess there could be one out there. Every program has it's errors. I think he went to see his Cardiologist lately and might have received a less positive report and he just decided that he needed to hang it up now. But I am certainly willing to listen to any conspiracy theories that might be out there.
Go Hogs Go!

Porked Tongue

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 08, 2017, 09:23:43 pm
Please tell us about it. I don't know of one but I guess there could be one out there. Every program has it's errors. I think he went to see his Cardiologist lately and might have received a less positive report and he just decided that he needed to hang it up now. But I am certainly willing to listen to any conspiracy theories that might be out there.

Just stating I'm not buying it on it's face.  I had heard last year he was in trouble over the Mixon deal and would lose his job but of course he was employed until yesterday.  Whether what I heard was actually true or not I won't try to prove.

But to me this whole thing is far to neat for a program that I don't trust on the whole.  Hell, they just played a guy that punched a woman after a BS "suspension".  They're trash to me.

LZH

Was told yesterday that he was forced out. I have no way of knowing if that is true or not. The retirement thing in June does sound a little weird, but that doesn't mean it isn't so.

HamSammich

It's health guys.... just stop. And be respectful

oldhawg

Perhaps the main issue is health related, but exacerbated by other non-health situations ----- the proverbial "straw."

Hope he can enjoy the time with his family.

HogFoo

Could it be that Bob Stoops saw that OU's move to the SEC was imminent,  and he got out before happened as to save his legacy from all the losses they would be having?  Haha. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hollywood_HOGan45

There has to be. Around here in Oklahoma they're worshipping him and passing off any notion that there's something off. 

You don't go through a spring practice after 18 seasons and then just retire in June before the season.

311Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 08, 2017, 05:20:29 pm

i am surprised this doesn't happen more often.  I would do this in a heart beat.  The moment i don't have to "work" anymore i am not going to. 

AlmaHog2011

One story is the administration told him to fire his brother Stoops blew up and it became heated.
Have read a couple other stories on FB that would make him into another Urban Meyer.

I don't care how much Stoops love you guys are doing on here he has done something and it isn't about his heart condition. He will be coaching in a year somewhere.

Paul

Paul

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 08, 2017, 07:14:45 pm
The man has heart disease, passed down through his family. Hid Dad died at 54 and his Uncle also died at a young age. Stoops said that all of the male members of his family carry the gene, he just has it the worst of all of his brothers. This has been on his mind over the years and he has mentioned it before. His twin sons are headed into their Senior year of HS this fall and Stoops turns 57 in September.

With that kind of hereditary health problem, having made the money that he has, having had the success that he has and wanting to live long enough to be a Grandfather, I can see why he wanted to hang it up. Can't blame him a bit.
also, he is noticeably overweight compared to just a few years ago.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LRRandy on June 08, 2017, 04:23:09 pm
then why will no one hire venables as a head coach?

Venables probably will get a Head Coach job at some point at either Clemson, Florida, Tennessee, or Texas A&M.  I think the possibility he won't be the Head Coach at his Alma Mater, Kansas State, is high because it is not a big enough of a Head Coach job for him.

I figure he replaces Swinney at Clemson if Swinney leaves to go to Alabama (big if regarding Swinney going to Alabama because Alabama doesn't really offer much more for Swinney than does Clemson; perhaps maybe a $300,000 to $400,000 raise).

If Venables doesn't replace Swinney at Clemson, and if he goes with Swinney to Alabama, then the rest of the SEC will still have trouble winning against Alabama.