Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talking head on SEC Now just said "Arkansas will probably NOT host". Why not?

Started by Bogghawg, May 25, 2017, 01:38:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

BroyledNutts

The talking heads have been discussing MSU hosting over the Hogs ever since the bracket guesses started. This loss gives them leverage, as I think we only finished a 1/2 game ahead in conference.

We'll probably take a hit in the RPI as well, and MSU will move up ... neutral site losses hurt the resume too ...

jry04

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 25, 2017, 01:42:29 pm
The talking heads have been discussing MSU hosting over the Hogs ever since the bracket guesses started. This loss gives them leverage, as I think we only finished a 1/2 game ahead in conference.

We'll probably take a hit in the RPI as well, and MSU will move up ...
The only chance MSU has to host over us at this point is if they win 2 more games, and one being over us would be ideal. We are still 3-1 against them this season. Also, our RPI is going to be about 18 and theirs will probably be 26 or 27 after this result is figured into the formula. MSU isn't exactly in the hosting discussion at this point. The teams like Arizona, OU, maybe FSU, maybe WVU are teams we have to look out for more because they all have top 25 RPIs with big RPI opportunities in front of them.

Win this afternoon and we can rest easy. Lose, and we will be sweating out.

AUSTXHOG

ehhh, which turd sammich said it?  Walker?  Indiana just beat Meechigan.  Southern Miss aint gonna host despite their record.   

jry04

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on May 25, 2017, 01:48:41 pm
ehhh, which turd sammich said it?  Walker?  Indiana just beat Meechigan.  Southern Miss aint gonna host despite their record.   
Southern Miss isn't going to host? They absolutely are. USM is competing for a national seed.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on May 25, 2017, 01:48:41 pm

Yeah Walker ...

AUSTXHOG

Quote from: jry04 on May 25, 2017, 01:49:22 pm
Southern Miss isn't going to host? They absolutely are. USM is competing for a national seed.
Sorry, meant be a national seed.  Ignore my ignorance.  lol

onebadrubi

Any chance you give committee's to spurn arkansas and you sweat.  Arkansas by winning that game would have taken those chances out of the committee's hands.  Now the door is open and we need to beat auburn and maybe whoever after that to slam that door shut and host.  We go 0-2 and I'm thinkning we get the shaft and off to a number 2 somewhere that doesn't favor us. 

jry04

Our RPI just dropped from 16 to 18. MSU jumped to 28 from 30. They have a lot of work left to do in order to threaten our host spot. A win today should bump us back around 16, setting up a likely rematch with Miss State tomorrow.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: jry04 on May 25, 2017, 01:46:13 pm
The only chance MSU has to host over us at this point is if they win 2 more games, and one being over us would be ideal. We are still 3-1 against them this season. Also, our RPI is going to be about 18 and theirs will probably be 26 or 27 after this result is figured into the formula. MSU isn't exactly in the hosting discussion at this point. The teams like Arizona, OU, maybe FSU, maybe WVU are teams we have to look out for more because they all have top 25 RPIs with big RPI opportunities in front of them.

Win this afternoon and we can rest easy. Lose, and we will be sweating out.
Agree. It's though to host with a 26, 27 RPI, but it has been done.

CJ HOG

Quote from: jry04 on May 25, 2017, 01:49:22 pm
Don't see USM pulling a National seed, regional yes. Too many P5 schools with  better resumes available for the NS imo. USM won't get to face top tier competition in their tourney and they lost gm 1 already I think.

AUSTXHOG

Quote from: jry04 on May 25, 2017, 01:56:46 pm
Our RPI just dropped from 16 to 18. MSU jumped to 28 from 30. They have a lot of work left to do in order to threaten our host spot. A win today should bump us back around 16, setting up a likely rematch with Miss State tomorrow.
What site are you following jry?

CJ HOG

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on May 25, 2017, 02:01:36 pm
What site are you following jry?
Probably Warren Nolan as those numbers align. This late in the year there's not much discrepancy in the rpi's from site to site.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

riccoar

So, does Ark try and win the next OR we trying to rest up for regionals?

AUSTXHOG

hawg1221

Quote from: riccoar on May 25, 2017, 02:07:21 pm

I think you always try to win the game. They might rest certain players, but team will compete.

SPAL

The SEC tourney really doesn't matter much. I'm telling you, we are going to host. We were penciled in before this tourney started and going 0-2 shouldn't change that.

onebadrubi

Quote from: riccoar on May 25, 2017, 02:07:21 pm

We need one win minimum in this tourney, in my opinion.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 25, 2017, 02:20:59 pm
The SEC tourney really doesn't matter much. I'm telling you, we are going to host. We were penciled in before this tourney started and going 0-2 shouldn't change that.
I hope you are right, but I would rather not find out. Weird stuff happens, and I am not sure we have the respect we deserve.

If I have my choice, we win tonight, throw Knight tomorrow in a rematch with State, and then I would be 100% ok with losing to UF in our 4th game just to avoid over throwing our arms and staying in Hoover too long.

HamIAm

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 25, 2017, 02:20:59 pm

This.

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on May 25, 2017, 02:23:22 pm
I hope you are right, but I would rather not find out. Weird stuff happens, and I am not sure we have the respect we deserve.

If I have my choice, we win tonight, throw Knight tomorrow in a rematch with State, and then I would be 100% ok with losing to UF in our 4th game just to avoid over throwing our arms and staying in Hoover too long.

Certainly. Any number of things could happen but winning 1 game in this tourney cements us hosting. I'll say it like this.....barring anything out of the ordinary happening elsewhere, we host no matter what happens against Auburn. Beating Auburn cements it.

Iwastherein1969

https://twitter.com/KendallRogersD1     scroll down and Kendall says, "zero change. Arkansas is just fine for hosting"     Everyone, take a chill pill
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 25, 2017, 02:29:12 pm
Certainly. Any number of things could happen but winning 1 game in this tourney cements us hosting. I'll say it like this.....barring anything out of the ordinary happening elsewhere, we host no matter what happens against Auburn. Beating Auburn cements it.
I agree on beating Auburn.

Bogghawg

This tournament is stupid.  I say so every year, win or lose.  Everyone agrees it doesn't mater so why the heck have it?  It jusgt screws up teams trying to prepare for regionals.

coolhog

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Bogghawg on May 25, 2017, 03:51:50 pm
This tournament is stupid.  I say so every year, win or lose.  Everyone agrees it doesn't mater so why the heck have it?  It jusgt screws up teams trying to prepare for regionals.

Exactly like the basketball conference tournaments. Mainly for teams that are on the fringe of missing the NCAA tournament.

Bogghawg

Dwight_K_Shrute

As competitive as the SEC is the tourney really helps no teams except to say hey we won the SEC tourney.  Nice little money grab but IMO it means less than than conf basketball tourney and post seasons success going forward.  Everyone would be better off resting pitchers.

As far as the money part of it, I wonder if instead of the tourney the SEC just added an extra weekend to the schedule if it would mean more money for the teams in the long run.  Every other year you get an extra home series. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

azhog10

Quote from: Bogghawg on May 25, 2017, 01:38:58 pm
discuss...
Actually he said if Arkansas goes 2 and out they won't host. He said they need to win one game to host.

hog.goblin

One more in and we are a lock.  A loss to Auburn and I think we are playing with fire.  Not logically, but because it's the way it is.

HogFansReunited

At this point, if MSU makes a run and wins the tournament, I think the SEC gets 5 hosts.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

SPAL