Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

who plays third base??

Started by Kevin, May 21, 2017, 09:22:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

parallaxpig

What happened to Hunter Wilson after leg injury?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Kevin

Quote from: parallaxpig on May 21, 2017, 09:24:08 am
What happened to Hunter Wilson after leg injury?

I think they are going to try get a medical redshirt
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

onebadrubi

Waldron_Hog

Kenley hit the ball hard a couple times. Law of averages says he's due a few hits soon.

Kevin

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Kevin on May 21, 2017, 11:56:26 am
What has happened to gates

That is what I was wondering. If Gates is ok I would play him at 3rd. Kenley has hit the ball hard a few times. Has Williams played 3rd at all? I still like seeing him in the line up and think he will be really good next year.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

factchecker

I'm not sure if he's injured or not but he's hit a little slump.  He was slated to be our backup 1st baseman but he injured his hand/wrist early in the season.  Hunter Wilson went down with an injury so when Gates came back he was moved to 3rd base.

I know it's a little late to find out but I wonder if Evan Lee play 3rd base? Lee works counts and usually makes good contact.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WhenPigsFly

Don't know anything as fact, but once you are in DVH's doghouse, it's hard to get out, if that is what is going on.

Knot2brite

Quote from: factchecker on May 21, 2017, 12:09:59 pm
I'm not sure if he's injured or not but he's hit a little slump.  He was slated to be our backup 1st baseman but he injured his hand/wrist early in the season.  Hunter Wilson went down with an injury so when Gates came back he was moved to 3rd base.

I know it's a little late to find out but I wonder if Evan Lee play 3rd base? Lee works counts and usually makes good contact.

Never have I seen a left handed third baseman....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

bulldog04

There are a lot of options but I don't know the best

factchecker

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 21, 2017, 12:16:44 pm

True. Maybe McFarland or Williams could play 3rd.

We played a couple games with Spanberger at 3rd and McFarland at 1st.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ucahogfan

Quote from: factchecker on May 21, 2017, 12:33:43 pm
We played a couple games with Spanberger at 3rd and McFarland at 1st.
This might be something to try out in Hoover.  We aren't as good defensively that way, but McFarland brings some punch to the plate.

We could also play Shaddy at 3B and Williams at 2B like we did on Friday night.  Williams did a good job at the plate too.

hawginbigd1

Just looked Kenley is ofer in 19 trips, he did hit 2 hard yesterday. Gates is hitting 230 after starting out hot, but he only has 1 error, if he isn't injured he seems like a no-brainier. Burch and Kenley just can't get done with the metal. Burch looked feeble yesterday.

Dr. Starcs

With the potential pop we've got in our lineup, go with the best defense at 3rd.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 21, 2017, 12:43:33 pm
This might be something to try out in Hoover.  We aren't as good defensively that way, but McFarland brings some punch to the plate.

We could also play Shaddy at 3B and Williams at 2B like we did on Friday night.  Williams did a good job at the plate too.
Maybe I am misremembering but didn't Shaddy do a decent job at 3rd last year?

Knot2brite

Put gates in and roll with it. Butch, Kenley, Williams....they just aren't ready...Gates is struggling but going pathfinding right now at third is not the best solution.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 21, 2017, 01:44:27 pm
Maybe I am misremembering but didn't Shaddy do a decent job at 3rd last year?

No.  Finally put him in OF at the end of the year.

BroyledNutts

My opinion only - I feel like Spanberger doesn't have the reaction time to play 3rd ... he has the arm, his feet just aren't fast enough.

Of the choices I'd put Gates at 3rd and ride it out. He's defensively capable there, and we need that. If someone can get on in front of him, have him bunt. If he strikes out, it's no worse than letting him swing.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 21, 2017, 02:42:21 pm
My opinion only - I feel like Spanberger doesn't have the reaction time to play 3rd ... he has the arm, his feet just aren't fast enough.

Of the choices I'd put Gates at 3rd and ride it out. He's defensively capable there, and we need that. If someone can get on in front of him, have him bunt. If he strikes out, it's no worse than letting him swing.
I am of the same opinion, Chad may not make errors but I believe he would not get to some balls and would be eaten up in the bunt game.

factchecker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 21, 2017, 03:04:32 pm
I am of the same opinion, Chad may not make errors but I believe he would not get to some balls and would be eaten up in the bunt game.

Very valid point.  I think the best bet is to go with Gates or Kenley.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jry04

Whoever has the best glove at this point. Anyone but Shaddy. He seems to make the least amount of mistakes at 2nd now, so I would go with Kenley or stick with Gates and hope he hits out of his slump.

SPAL

HogFansReunited

If nothing is wrong with Gates, he should definitely be the 3rd baseman. If something is wrong, I would go with Kenley. Both of them have great defence but Gates is the better batter even thoug he is in a slump right now.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

swineology

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 21, 2017, 04:53:45 pm
If nothing is wrong with Gates, he should definitely be the 3rd baseman. If something is wrong, I would go with Kenley. Both of them have great defence but Gates is the better batter even thoug he is in a slump right now.

Gates has found DVH's doghouse, no clue why.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: swineology on May 21, 2017, 07:51:08 pm
Gates has found DVH's doghouse, no clue why.

He is 1 for his last 16, that's got to be most, if not all of it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 21, 2017, 12:43:33 pm

I don't want to bash shaddy but he does not need to be at third. 

JHicks3636

I'm with spal-Gates. I'll take .229 over .000 and "he's due". Most of what we have done has been with Gates and I think he is the most likely to break out of a slump.

dcrback

I noticed a few games back when Gates came back to the dough-out, DVH really chewed on him.  He even followed him a couple of steps chewing.  My guess is he may have missed a sign or talked back to DVH.  He was taken out of the game at that time.  Just guessing... :) 
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

RazorPiggie

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Bacons Rebellion

If you ever do, bunt.

TebowHater

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 21, 2017, 08:23:35 pm
He is 1 for his last 16, that's got to be most, if not all of it.

But that 1 hit was when DVH put him on Thursday or Friday and he delivered a clutch hit to CF on first pitch, which I think even was an RBI. Then he didn't play again the rest of the series???

jry04

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 21, 2017, 08:41:39 pm
I don't want to bash shaddy but he does not need to be at third. 
Agreed. I don't think it is bashing at all. We have tried him at third quite a bit this year and last year. He doesn't have the fielding ability to play 3rd.

ricepig

You obviously haven't watched much Rec league baseball in the under 10 age groups, haha.

dotnet

Gates is a limited third baseman too. And if he isn't hitting, then having someone who has more range is a better answer. 

With that said, I like the idea of Gates too.  Burch at least gives you a chance to at the plate as opposed to Kenley, so I get why DVH tried it. 

jbell96

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2017, 09:53:03 am

You obviously haven't watched much Rec league baseball in the under 10 age groups, haha.

That reminds me of when I played little league and our coach's son would catch half the time and he was left handed.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on May 22, 2017, 08:59:57 pm
LOL.
Correct. Who played first base.

I can't believe no one else has fun with this.  I saw the opportunity for a real winner thread... Guess everyone lost their sense of humor come post season.

Kevin

WhenPigsFly

(notOM)Rebel123

(notOM)Rebel123

El Duderino

DEVIL DOG HOG

Who doubled, so Who is on second.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Triple T

The Third Baseman plays third base, duh

SPAL

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 22, 2017, 09:30:35 pm
I can't believe no one else has fun with this.  I saw the opportunity for a real winner thread... Guess everyone lost their sense of humor come post season.

Why? I don't know. He's on third, and I don't give a darn!

(notOM)Rebel123

Who's pitching, Tomorrow?  ;)

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."