Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm bored so I'm watching the Web.com Tour. They're letting them use..

Started by Boarcephus, May 19, 2017, 07:17:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Range finders in this tournament.  Might as well because everyone else is using them. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogbud

Wish it would speed up play but they'd just cross check with yardage book and add time

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hogbud on May 20, 2017, 10:58:29 am
Wish it would speed up play but they'd just cross check with yardage book and add time

True.

Plus these courses, more than likely,  have yardages every 25 yards and probably on sprinkler heads. Plus yardage books.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 19, 2017, 07:17:00 pm
Range finders in this tournament.  Might as well because everyone else is using them.

I thought the rule was passed that they could now use them in tourneys as long as the slope feature was turned off?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 20, 2017, 07:49:37 pm
I thought the rule was passed that they could now use them in tourneys as long as the slope feature was turned off?

I thought I heard them say they were in the process of testing it at 4 events and this was one of the four.  I did a quick search and you are correct about turning off the slope feature.  Evidently they're testing it on a couple other tours as well.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 21, 2017, 07:12:01 am
I thought I heard them say they were in the process of testing it at 4 events and this was one of the four.  I did a quick search and you are correct about turning off the slope feature.  Evidently they're testing it on a couple other tours as well.

My son plays in ASGA, USJGT, type events, and all of the players use them. I asked him about the slope feature, some require a cover and some just flip a button. He says that you would never notice if someone was using the slope feature on those. His doesn't have the slope feature, sounds like another investment, lol......

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on May 21, 2017, 08:59:57 am
My son plays in ASGA, USJGT, type events, and all of the players use them. I asked him about the slope feature, some require a cover and some just flip a button. He says that you would never notice if someone was using the slope feature on those. His doesn't have the slope feature, sounds like another investment, lol......

Half the members at PV have them as well.  About the only time it would be nice to have one is when I hook the bejezzis out of a drive find myself in another fairway but other than that I'm good with the 100, 150 and 200 yard markers. 

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 21, 2017, 10:10:31 am
Half the members at PV have them as well.  About the only time it would be nice to have one is when I hook the bejezzis out of a drive find myself in another fairway but other than that I'm good with the 100, 150 and 200 yard markers. 

Yeah, I'm not if it's 138 yards to the pin, it's safe anyways, I'm not hitting it.

EastexHawg

The old story is that in the early to mid 70s Johnny Miller was so accurate with his irons that he wanted his caddie to give him yardages down to the half yard.  Within 10 yards is plenty good enough for me.

I can't wait to see Blubber Watson chewing out his range finder after he hits a bad shot.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 22, 2017, 08:55:52 am
I can't wait to see Blubber Watson chewing out his range finder after he hits a bad shot.

LOL!  Classic!   

I'm with ricepig, I don't hit every iron flush so knowing if it's 134 or 138 is not a big deal to me.  If I'm inside 150, and happen to be in the fairway, I might step it off from the 150 marker to my ball and that's about all the effort I'll make.

yraciv

Web.com is some good watching if you are looking to root for former Hogs.  You've got former Hogs on the leaderboard every weekend, who are in pursuit of Top 25 on money list and tour card.
Andrew Landry - 3rd
Ethan Tracy - 4th
Austin Cook - 25th
Taylor Moore - 29th
Sebastian Cappelen - 117th

HognitiveDissonance

The old story is that in the early to mid 70s Johnny Miller was so accurate with his irons that he wanted his caddie to give him yardages down to the half yard.  Within 10 yards is plenty good enough for me.

Ben Hogan, playing the 1948 LA Open (now Riviera), when told by his caddy to aim at the Hollywood Sign in the distance

"Which letter?"

EastexHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 22, 2017, 12:54:56 pm
Ben Hogan, playing the 1948 LA Open (now Riviera), when told by his caddy to aim at the Hollywood Sign in the distance

"Which letter?"

Golf and baseball have the best stories.

hawgon

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 22, 2017, 12:54:56 pm

"Which letter?"

On Shell's Wonderful World World of Golf Hogan was once told that a hole was 153 yards or whatever, he said, "That's wrong, its 155."  They measured it later and he was right.

East TN HAWG

Today's golfers require it.  The first time my brother-in-law caddied for Ollie  (age 12), they walked up to a hole and Ollie asked him what the distance was.  Lance said something like "150 to 160 yards."  Ollie stopped what he was doing, and said "what is it?"  Even at age 12, 10 yards meant a lot to him. Still today, its the first question he asks before each shot.   

I talked to him about the range finders.  He is against it except for those one day play in tournaments, etc.  The caddies spend so many hours scouting the course closely that it only helps in those "native area situations."     

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on May 23, 2017, 09:36:03 am
Today's golfers require it.  The first time my brother-in-law caddied for Ollie  (age 12), they walked up to a hole and Ollie asked him what the distance was.  Lance said something like "150 to 160 yards."  Ollie stopped what he was doing, and said "what is it?"  Even at age 12, 10 yards meant a lot to him. Still today, its the first question he asks before each shot.   

I talked to him about the range finders.  He is against it except for those one day play in tournaments, etc.  The caddies spend so many hours scouting the course closely that it only helps in those "native area situations."     

What tournaments allowed a caddy at 12?

PonderinHog

East TN HAWG

His first tournament was a youth tournament in south GA.  He won it.  That's when they first knew that he was good. 

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on May 23, 2017, 12:00:05 pm
His first tournament was a youth tournament in south GA.  He won it.  That's when they first knew that he was good. 

My son plays in youth tournaments, they don't allow caddies, just wondering.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2017, 12:36:24 pm
My son plays in youth tournaments, they don't allow caddies, just wondering.

I was wrong on the age it was 14 not 12.  It was a Georgia Amateur qualifier.  I believe it was in Columbus, GA.  He shot a 64 and won by four strokes, and ever since then, he has caddied various times all over the world until Ollie turned pro including web.com events, US Open, The Open, Scottish Open (twice).   He did not caddie for college or on the Jr Ryder team (with Speith, Thomas) 

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on May 24, 2017, 02:15:16 pm
I was wrong on the age it was 14 not 12.  It was a Georgia Amateur qualifier.  I believe it was in Columbus, GA.  He shot a 64 and won by four strokes, and ever since then, he has caddied various times all over the world until Ollie turned pro including web.com events, US Open, The Open, Scottish Open (twice).   He did not caddie for college or on the Jr Ryder team (with Speith, Thomas) 

I guess different states/tournaments have different criteria on allowing caddies, no biggie.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: yraciv on May 22, 2017, 09:59:44 am
Web.com is some good watching if you are looking to root for former Hogs.  You've got former Hogs on the leaderboard every weekend, who are in pursuit of Top 25 on money list and tour card.
Andrew Landry - 3rd
Ethan Tracy - 4th
Austin Cook - 25th
Taylor Moore - 29th
Sebastian Cappelen - 117th

Yeah that's unbelievable, and 3 of them are winners on the Web.com, 2 this year... Brad has done an amazing job.... maybe Tag hangs on and we have 5 or 6 on tour next year...

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 25, 2017, 07:12:34 am
maybe Tag hangs on and we have 5 or 6 on tour next year...

Tag has been chasing that dream a long time.  Saw where he turns 43 this year. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 25, 2017, 07:43:53 am
Tag has been chasing that dream a long time.  Saw where he turns 43 this year.

he's managed to make a living playing golf for nearly 2 decades.. I think the Ken Duke story inspires a lot of journey men... it's never too late in today's game, with equipment the way it is...