Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michael Porter

Started by MS_HogFan, May 19, 2017, 02:49:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MS_HogFan

I am sure this has been discussed but I missed it. Does anyone know why Michael Porter picked Missouri?
SOOIE

sickboy

I think the prevailing thought is that he's a Columbia native and his father, who used to be a coach for the women's team there, was hired to coach at Missouri recently.

Cuonzo Martin probably played a role too.

Biggus Piggus

Uh, his father is now an assistant coach at Missouri.
[CENSORED]!

mizzouman

Here's what happened.

Porter's dad was an assistant coach on the Mizzou's women's team for several years.  His sister in law is the head coach. 

When Michael was a Junior, Kim Anderson offered an assistant coaching job to Porter SR.  Porter Sr. wanted to coach on a men's team.  Michael was going to play wherever his dad coached.  Porter Sr. turned that job down because he didn't want to be on Anderson's staff.  He didn't come out say it, but everyone knows that story.

So, after that season, Lorenzo Romar, former coach at Washington, offered Porter Sr a job and he took it.  These two are like brothers.  Shortly before that, however, Jontay, Michael's younger brother who is a 5 star player, committed to Washington.  It was known that Porter Sr. will be going to Washington.  Then, Michael signed an NLI to Washington.

Then, everything played out perfectly for Mizzou.  Anderson was fired.  Cuonzo was hired and the same day Mizzou announced him as head coach, Romar was fired.  Once Romar was fired, everyone knew what was going to happen next.

This is a large family.  They have 2 daughters on the Mizzou's team, sister in law is the head coach and they basically grew up in Columbia.  They had been traveling back and forth for a year the mother wanted to move back to Columbia soon. 

Then, Cuonzo offered Porter Sr the job for obvious reasons.  This was the chance to move back.  Once Porter Sr. accepted, Michael committed and Jontay will soon commit.  He's still deciding whether he wants to class up or not.

MS_HogFan

SOOIE

mizzouman

Brother Jontay officially committed and looks may class up. Mizzou potentially can go with 6'11, 6'10 and 6'9 with 6'7 and 5'11 guards.

The_Iceman