Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB vs UGA G1 - W

Started by psycHOGlogist, May 05, 2017, 08:35:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

It was a power surge at Bogle tonight, as the Hogs scored 6 runs all coming off of HR's to get the KEY win over UGA. The win guarantees the Hogs a spot in the SEC tournament for the first time under Deifel. Just a huge achievement for this team after such a bad year last year.

Yanetti (solo), Schroeder (2-run), Belans (2-run), and Warrick (solo) each went deep off of Bass (Yannetti and Schroeder) and Gray (Belans and Warrick), UGA's two best pitchers. Very nice game in the circle from Storms. UGA did their thing in the 6th by getting 3 infield singles in a row, followed by a couple fielder's choices to knock in 2 runs. Belans made an iffy play on the last infield single, but really that one didn't do any harm. UGA just plays small ball very well and has a LOT of speed.

Great win for the Hogs. WPS!!!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

psycHOGlogist

The Hogs are now 7-15 in SEC play.

Some other relevant results tonight --

Ole Miss beats Mizzou, which drops Mizzou to 6-15, one spot below the Hogs (for now) in the standings. Mizzou had a game called off for weather, so they have one less conference game than we do. So we'll have to finish with more wins than they do to stay above them in the standings.

SC came from behind to beat LSU, elevating SC to 7-14. Like Mizzou, they will play one fewer game than we will this year, so they're a half-game up on us in the standings.

Mississippi St upset Kentucky in Starkville tonight, upping their SEC record to 9-13.

With the loss to us tonight, UGA is officially out of the SEC Tourney. The remainder of the games this weekend will determine the 9-12 seeds.

If we sweep UGA, we'll be 9-15. Both Ole Miss and MSU are at 9 wins now, and MSU would own the tiebreaker over us. I think the BEST we can do is 10th. To get there, we'd need to win more games this weekend than either Mizzou or SC. Should be fun!

flippinhogmana

May 06, 2017, 05:20:31 am #2 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:39:31 am by flippinhogmana
Its also interesting that the homers (as best I can recall) all occurred with two down, down in the count or with a full count.

Both Yanneti's (I know it was with two out) and Schroeder's were with full counts (on a ten pitch at bat).  I was imploring them 'a homer or a walk, a homer or a walk', nothing else!  Both times they came through.  I didnt see Belan's homer but I think her's and Warrick's weren't with full counts and maybe not with two out either.

Those first two homers were huge!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Long ball beats small ball last tonight - thanks to solid defense in the infield.  Georgia got 10 hits - about 8 never even got out of the infield, but the defense stopped them from scoring much.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on May 06, 2017, 08:57:42 am
Long ball beats small ball last tonight - thanks to solid defense in the infield.  Georgia got 10 hits - about 8 never even got out of the infield, but the defense stopped them from scoring much.

I take your point (that you have made before) about small ball.  There are several games, especially early in the conference when a manufactured run or two would have made the difference between a storms' loss (and team loss) and might even be the difference between us have at least a five hundred record or not when it s all settled.  I dont discount what you said therefore.  I would like for them to have the ability to do both (play long, but have a short game too!).
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 06, 2017, 09:42:47 am
I take your point (that you have made before) about small ball.  There are several games, especially early in the conference when a manufactured run or two would have made the difference between a storms' loss (and team loss) and might even be the difference between us have at least a five hundred record or not when it s all settled.  I dont discount what you said therefore.  I would like for them to have the ability to do both (play long, but have a short game too!).

I totally agree!

LadybackBBFan

Headed to see today's game shortly.  I have not seen a softball game in several years, but this year's team has me intrigued - especially because of their two freshmen pitchers.  Hedgcoch is from Downers Grove - I coached in that league and also coached traveling teams from there.  Downers Grove softball DOLLS - (Downers own little league softball). 

flippinhogmana

May 06, 2017, 11:25:55 am #7 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:22:18 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on May 06, 2017, 11:12:18 am
Headed to see today's game shortly.  I have not seen a softball game in several years, but this year's team has me intrigued - especially because of their two freshmen pitchers.  Hedgcoch is from Downers Grove - I coached in that league and also coached traveling teams from there.  Downers Grove softball DOLLS - (Downers own little league softball).

I have coached in girls basketball tournaments in that area (Schamburg, Downers Grove both)

LadybackBBFan

I made one mistake - Dolls stands for Downers Little Lassie Softball