Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'18 Hog offer Deshang "DJ" Weaver just named Hogs his leader ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, May 01, 2017, 02:53:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

this has been alluded to and was probably already assumed by many, but he has Arkansas as his clear No. 1 choice right now, and he told me he wants to commit at the end of the summer (prior to his senior HS season) ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/859130598362935298

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/859131097116020737

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/859133454147084288

razorhog52

DJ could be the 2nd best pro prospect on that team behind Reggie. I'd love to see him get his explosiveness back and work on his outside game. If he could be a full time 3 at 6'8 he would fit perfect.

batmanfan

He reminds me of those big athletic Baylor forwards they seem to have every year.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

yraciv

Just a matter of time between we change our mascot to the Hawks.

NWAHog479

He's averaging 4.5 pts, 2.4 reb in 11.5 mins this summer, is this something to be concerned about? Not trying to be negative, I just know that you have watched the team numerous times. Seems like a good kid and obviously had top 10 potential.

The_Iceman

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 01, 2017, 03:30:53 pm
He's averaging 4.5 pts, 2.4 reb in 11.5 mins this summer, is this something to be concerned about? Not trying to be negative, I just know that you have watched the team numerous times. Seems like a good kid and obviously had top 10 potential.

Yes, it should be concerning. He is still recovering from a bad knee injury that kept him out over a year. An injury like that can prevent players from getting back to their original explosiveness.

Pinto

Quote from: razorhog52 on May 01, 2017, 03:04:50 pm
DJ could be the 2nd best pro prospect on that team behind Reggie. I'd love to see him get his explosiveness back and work on his outside game. If he could be a full time 3 at 6'8 he would fit perfect.

Only if Gafford is gone

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2017, 03:41:41 pm
Yes, it should be concerning. He is still recovering from a bad knee injury that kept him out over a year. An injury like that can prevent players from getting back to their original explosiveness.

While this is true, I'm told that him playing at 75-80% is mostly mental right now, which is very common after injuring both ACL and MCL ... he was out for roughly 18 mos and returned late December, so he's 4 mos back after being out for a year-and-a-half.

What I see is a player with good shooting skill, wiry strong at 6-7, smart with high basketball IQ and instincts, has a nice feel for timing, spacing, passing, decision-making. He is quick, but his explosiveness and straight-line speed both seem to still be affected by the injury.

I think DJ can play the 3 or 4, can be effective on the wing, at the high post, and can help some down low. Versatile player!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Pinto on May 01, 2017, 03:51:27 pm
Only if Gafford is gone

He might be referring to the Hawks team, but if we're talking about Hogs, I agree with you: Gafford and Perry are the top 2 pro prospects, and I certainly would not sleep on either DHall or KGarland. And Isaiah Joe is going to be a fine college player w/pro potential as he adds weight/strength.

hdturner

This is tough call on D J injury situation as some players never recover from serious knee surgery. Clyde Fletcher is player that never regain his high school status after injuring his knee in high school. The plenty of 6'6" to 6'8" players around that fit Hogs system. I hope the kid get better everyday.

navyhog24

batmanfan

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 01, 2017, 03:59:19 pm
Hogaday, what's the latest on Rodgerick Brown?

He seems to be picking up alot of mid major offers the last few days
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

razorhead94

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2017, 03:41:41 pm

Famutimi?
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Kevin McPherson

The_Bionic_Pig

A healthy DJ will have you thinking "Paul George" skill wise.  he's got the remainder of the summer to assert himself as a pivotal contributor on this AAU squad.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Van Boarisson

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 01, 2017, 03:59:19 pm
Hogaday, what's the latest on Rodgerick Brown?

Not sure what HDA is hearing but Richard posted earlier that we have cooled on Brown.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Van Boarisson on May 01, 2017, 10:10:51 pm
Not sure what HDA is hearing but Richard posted earlier that we have cooled on Brown.

Hogs had been his leader, but now UAB is. Offers are mid-majors. Pretty much sums up where both sides are.

Hawg Red

Do the mid-major offers for Brown speak to something besides talent? A number of us have been very on him, but it is odd that he isn't attracting more high-major interest. At this point, it appears we fans can look elsewhere.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2017, 10:52:29 pm
Do the mid-major offers for Brown speak to something besides talent? A number of us have been very on him, but it is odd that he isn't attracting more high-major interest. At this point, it appears we fans can look elsewhere.

I really can't go into specifics, but I can tell you it's not about RB's character as a person. Great young man.

hogwood

Paul

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 01, 2017, 10:59:41 pm
I really can't go into specifics, but I can tell you it's not about RB's character as a person. Great young man.
I've heard he's a great kid too.  He's reclassifying to 2017 cuz he's too old to play high school ball next year

Hawg Red

Quote from: Paul on May 05, 2017, 01:04:52 pm
  I've heard he's a great kid too.  He's reclassifying to 2017 cuz he's too old to play high school ball next year

So he's in his 20s? How else can you be "too old" to play high school basketball?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Paul on May 05, 2017, 01:04:52 pm

This was the dilemma I could not/would not go into. Since it is out there, RB will be too old to play at Cordova (TN) next year, which meant he would either re-classify to 2017 OR go to a prep school in 2017-18. He had a Hog offer but it was conditional (not committable) as they were "monitoring and evaluating" his situation as well as what other needs and prospects came into the picture for the program.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 05, 2017, 01:31:33 pm
So he's in his 20s? How else can you be "too old" to play high school basketball?

Turning 19 prior to an eligibility deadline/cutoff date ...

Big Nasty 34

Surely he will go to a prep school. Seems like that would lead him to a much better team compared to the mid majors he's recently getting offers from.

HardingHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 05, 2017, 02:42:08 pm
Surely he will go to a prep school. Seems like that would lead him to a much better team compared to the mid majors he's recently getting offers from.

But, if you go to prep school do you have to pay your own way? This is something I was wondering about recently

NWAHog479

Back to DJ, I listened to his interview this morning and wow this kid has a bright future. Not only can he play hoops, but what a smart and well spoken young man. When talking about the Hogs/UNC game he kept saying "we"... I like it!

HawgTide

DJ seems to be getting more confident with his knee and more comfortable with his new teammates. I really like his game and hope we can land him. :razorback:

Kevin McPherson

ShadowHawg

He looks more athletic than he did in his highschool videos. I think he is beginning to let Dr his fear of getting hurt again. If he's healthy he is the guy I would love to round out this class.

Razorod

Health and ball handling skills, if he's viewed as a three, biggest questions to me.

Good hustle, looks to be more of a hybrid-forward prospect at this stage, but seems to be getting some minutes at the wing. Be interesting to watch his game evolve.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 15, 2017, 12:22:31 am
He looks more athletic than he did in his highschool videos. I think he is beginning to let Dr his fear of getting hurt again. If he's healthy he is the guy I would love to round out this class.

Me too. We would have more length and athleticism on that team than any other Hog team I can remember.

NWAHog479

Kevin, thank you for posting all of these updates over the weekend. Aside from Henderson's dunk, DJ is the guy that stood out. Looks like he's getting closer to 100% and love the motor that he plays with. Obviously not the biggest guy, but gets in great position to rebound and has a high basketball IQ. If you had to guess, when will he commit?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 15, 2017, 01:19:40 pm
Kevin, thank you for posting all of these updates over the weekend. Aside from Henderson's dunk, DJ is the guy that stood out. Looks like he's getting closer to 100% and love the motor that he plays with. Obviously not the biggest guy, but gets in great position to rebound and has a high basketball IQ. If you had to guess, when will he commit?

He said he wanted to choose "after the summer" ... basically, after AAU but before his senior season ... would guess between August and October, but things could change.

nwahogfan1

What do we have with DJ!  A under size 4 or a under developed 3? 

Kevin McPherson

May 15, 2017, 04:20:55 pm #36 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:33:09 pm by HOGdayafternoon
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 15, 2017, 04:03:17 pm
What do we have with DJ!  A under size 4 or a under developed 3?

DJ has a nice touch all the way out to the 3-point line, but does need to improve his handles to be a full-time 3 (which I think he can do). Having said that -- IF he ends up with the Hogs -- even if he does improve his handles, I think by bulking up (adding weight, building muscle/strength) and getting back to 100% on the knee (or close to it), it'll be tempting for CMA to use him as a combo/utility-4 like we saw with Coty Clarke ... basically, a 6-7 glue guy who can shoot and checks a bunch of boxes at both ends of the floor.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 15, 2017, 04:20:55 pm
DJ has a nice touch all the way out to the 3-point line, but does need to improve his handles to be a full-time 3 (which I think he can do). Having said that -- IF he ends up with the Hogs -- even if he does improve his handles, I think by bulking up (adding weight, building muscle/strength) and getting back to 100% on the knee (or close to it), it'll be tempting for CMA to use him as a combo/utility-4 like we saw with Coty Clarke ... basically, a 6-7 glue guy who can shoot and checks a bunch of boxes at both ends of the floor.

That's a big IF.. usually big IF's don't happen.. was that meant to be such a big if, of would just a simple If have sufficed?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 20, 2017, 07:12:44 pm
That's a big IF.. usually big IF's don't happen.. was that meant to be such a big if, of would just a simple If have sufficed?

Haha. I was putting the cart before the horse (projecting his role w/the Hogs even though he's not committed, let alone signed to a binding LOI), hence the all-caps (and italicized) IF. I think it looks good for DJ to the Hogs, but things can change.

The_Iceman

nwahogfan1

I long athletic kids in the 6'6 range but we need someone over 6'8  in this class who likes to bang and play in the paint and get those tough rebounds.

This is tough size for Mike to sign because our state doesn't produce to many.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 06, 2017, 02:35:16 pm
I long athletic kids in the 6'6 range but we need someone over 6'8  in this class who likes to bang and play in the paint and get those tough rebounds.

This is tough size for Mike to sign because our state doesn't produce to many.

Henderson fits that description and a lot of kids will develop between now and 2019, when they'll enter school...

The_Iceman

Weaver fits what Mile likes to do at PF. He isn't Perry, but not a bad get if we do land him.

NWAHog479

Call me crazy, but a big guy is a larger need currently than guard. What if we get lucky and land Perry and Moss? Do you keep Weaver or Desi? Desi looks like the odd man out since he hasn't been able to play much recently due to his health and all of the other guards we are looking at are better players. What if?

HardingHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on July 06, 2017, 11:19:26 pm
Call me crazy, but a big guy is a larger need currently than guard. What if we get lucky and land Perry and Moss? Do you keep Weaver or Desi? Desi looks like the odd man out since he hasn't been able to play much recently due to his health and all of the other guards we are looking at are better players. What if?

Well, we now have 3 open spots for 2018 class, so we can take Moss, Weaver, and Perry (if Perry somehow decided to recommit which is unlikely). Also, I'd say there's a less than zero percent chance Mike says thanks but no thanks to any of our current commits. Especially when they're an instate guy (and playing for an instate AAU team)

Hawg Red

Weaver + Moss + the best big man they can get would be a fine finish to the class. Nothing will make up for losing Perry but there are still good players that the staff could get and they're probably all 4-year players.

NWAHog479

Big fan of DJ, after listening to some of his interviews he could read a few less books and spend some more time enjoying being a kid!

Hogimus Prime

Foshodo

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 16, 2017, 12:13:32 am
So would Perry have made this a NC team?  If you don't think so, what is the big loss?  He is a one and done!  He meant nothing to the long term health of the Hog BB team period!

wrong... we get bodies in the NBA and we get better recruits.

right now we have three guys in the NBA. not a single one of them makes headlines.

King Kong

Quote from: Foshodo on July 16, 2017, 03:19:54 am
wrong... we get bodies in the NBA and we get better recruits.

right now we have three guys in the NBA. not a single one of them makes headlines.

Joe Johnson made alot of headlines in the NBA Playoffs leading the upset of the Clippers. Beverly also makes a great deal of headlines.