Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connor Vanover w/Pro Skills (TX) 17U on Nike EYBL circuit ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, April 30, 2017, 11:02:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

I still believe he'll sign with the Hogs during the early signing period later this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

yraciv

Connor is averaging 8.5 pts, 55%fg, 45% 3fg, 4.7 reb, and 1.2 blk in 17 mpg.  His team can't win a game, but as mentioned he was limited earlier.

They appear to have a wing Curtis White that played with Khalil at Parkview last year, but is struggling from field. Hadn't heard of him.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: yraciv on May 04, 2017, 04:30:37 pm
Connor is averaging 8.5 pts, 55%fg, 45% 3fg, 4.7 reb, and 1.2 blk in 17 mpg.  His team can't win a game, but as mentioned he was limited earlier.

They appear to have a wing Curtis White that played with Khalil at Parkview last year, but is struggling from field. Hadn't heard of him.

C.J. White. c/o '18.

tophawg19

you'd think he could average 10 just off of trash and rebounds
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pinto

Quote from: GuvHog on May 04, 2017, 03:07:23 pm
I still believe he'll sign with the Hogs during the early signing period later this year.

I don't think he has a committable offer

rzrbackramsfan

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on May 04, 2017, 08:35:53 pm
I don't think he has a committable offer

Guv won't believe it, but this is true. Vanover is not being recruited by the Hogs any longer.

FineAsSwine

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2017, 10:52:09 pm
Guv won't believe it, but this is true. Vanover is not being recruited by the Hogs any longer.

Check the Scout recruiting website. They have him listed with 3 committable offers from SEC teams. One of those 3 is Arkansas.

navyhog24

Quote from: GuvHog on May 05, 2017, 03:38:33 pm
Check the Scout recruiting website. They have him listed with 3 committable offers from SEC teams. One of those 3 is Arkansas.

Because they always know what's going on, right?

Hawg Red

Just checked it out. Can you point me to where it specifies which offers are committable?

HOGINTENNESSEE

No he doesn't

GuvHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 05, 2017, 04:06:12 pm
Because they always know what's going on, right?

Yep, for College basketball recruiting, they are the #1 website.

GuvHog

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 05, 2017, 04:25:12 pm
Just checked it out. Can you point me to where it specifies which offers are committable?

The yellow check marks indicate committable offers. Scout does not list uncommittable offers.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on May 06, 2017, 12:23:43 pm
The yellow check marks indicate committable offers. Scout does not list uncommittable offers.

You just made that up.

HardingHog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 06, 2017, 12:23:43 pm
http://www.scout.com/player/192975-connor-vanover/recruiting?year=2017&s=75
The yellow check marks are the schools that have offered him. The ones without a check mark are the ones "recruiting" but have not offered. To show that in more detail: click the drop down arrow next to "info" on Connor's profile. Then click on "recruiting" and it shows the schools recruiting him and the ones with the check next to them are labeled as having offered

You literally just made something up out of thin air and stated it as fact. You're blatantly wrong about what those arrows mean. He may or may not have a "committable" offer, but that is definitely not an indicator

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: HardingHog on May 06, 2017, 05:34:49 pm
The yellow check marks are the schools that have offered him. The ones without a check mark are the ones "recruiting" but have not offered. To show that in more detail: click the drop down arrow next to "info" on Connor's profile. Then click on "recruiting" and it shows the schools recruiting him and the ones with the check next to them are labeled as having offered

You literally just made something up out of thin air and stated it as fact. You're blatantly wrong about what those arrows mean. He may or may not have a "committable" offer, but that is definitely not an indicator
That is what Guv is legendary for around here. In just about every forum and any situation.  If I had to make a decision or was wanting to know the truth about something, I would believe exactly the opposite of anything he says.

GuvHog

Quote from: HardingHog on May 06, 2017, 05:34:49 pm

The point is he has an offer from Arkansas and 2 other SEC schools. Although some think they do, no one really knows if they are committable or not.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on May 06, 2017, 06:25:35 pm
The point is he has an offer from Arkansas and 2 other SEC schools. Although some think they do, no one really knows if they are committable or not.

There is nothing to suggest the Arkansas staff is recruiting Vanover other than that "offer" from over a year ago.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GuvHog on May 06, 2017, 12:14:29 pm
Yes he does. Just accept being proven wrong and move on.

You haven't proven anything. If MA and crew are so into him. Why aren't they at all his AAU games?

You really must be as thick as others say

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 06, 2017, 09:30:13 pm
You haven't proven anything. If MA and crew are so into him. Why aren't they at all his AAU games?

You really must be as thick as others say

At this moment the Hogs are faced with having only one 5 spot player for the 2018-2019 season (Gafford) with no one to back him up and no other 5 spot prospects that they have a realistic shot at getting. You do the math. Any way one looks at it, going into the 2018-2019 season with only one 5 spot player is not a good position to be in. Vanover is likely a project, I agree, but having him coming off of the bench is still better than being short handed at the 5 spot.

ShadowHawg

Watch highlights of Portis and Kingsley and try to explain where someone so slow fits in what we do. Watch Gafford and Perry while you're at it.

mhuff

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 02:07:29 pm
At this moment the Hogs are faced with having only one 5 spot player for the 2018-2019 season (Gafford) with no one to back him up and no other 5 spot prospects that they have a realistic shot at getting. You do the math. Any way one looks at it, going into the 2018-2019 season with only one 5 spot player is not a good position to be in. Vanover is likely a project, I agree, but having him coming off of the bench is still better than being short handed at the 5 spot.

Don't panic.   Little early for that. It will work out.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 07, 2017, 02:31:43 pm
Watch highlights of Portis and Kingsley and try to explain where someone so slow fits in what we do. Watch Gafford and Perry while you're at it.

Gafford is a 5 spot player. Perry plays the 4 spot. The last time Anderson tried to turn a 4 spot player into a 5 spot player, it was a disaster. I'd rather not see a repeat of that.

The Hogs don't always play the up and down the court speed game. Sometimes opponents force them to play half court basketball and Vanover would be good in that situation. Though not as good (yet), his style of play is similar to Kornet who played for Vanderbilt. By that, I mean he is capable of dominating the lane and occasionally slipping out to nail a 3 pointer. He isn't listed as a 4 star prospect for no reason.

mhuff

Really looks like he can shoot but he would be a defensive liability

GuvHog

Quote from: mhuff on May 07, 2017, 03:59:01 pm
Really looks like he can shoot but he would be a defensive liability

Mike would have to adjust the defense for him the way he did for Kingsley. Earlier in the season, Kingsley was switching a lot and ending up on guards outside which hurt him because they just drove around him. Later in the season, Mike changed the defense so that Kingsley stayed in the lane near the basket most of the time. Conner still has a lot to learn and another year to improve before he goes to college.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 03:48:23 pm
Gafford is a 5 spot player. Perry plays the 4 spot. The last time Anderson tried to turn a 4 spot player into a 5 spot player, it was a disaster. I'd rather not see a repeat of that.

The Hogs don't always play the up and down the court speed game. Sometimes opponents force them to play half court basketball and Vanover would be good in that situation. Though not as good (yet), his style of play is similar to Kornet who played for Vanderbilt. By that, I mean he is capable of dominating the lane and occasionally slipping out to nail a 3 pointer. He isn't listed as a 4 star prospect for no reason.

You think he may walk on?

Pinto

Kornet is a bad comparison. Vanover isn't as near as mobile or versatile. Vanover is not even as mobile as Mickelson was. He struggles on the boards too. He's a mid to low major caliber player which is where he will have a solid and serviceable career

GuvHog

Quote from: Pinto on May 07, 2017, 04:26:02 pm
Kornet is a bad comparison. Vanover isn't as near as mobile or versatile. Vanover is not even as mobile as Mickelson was. He struggles on the boards too. He's a mid to low major caliber player which is where he will have a solid and serviceable career

Mickelson was a 4 spot player that Mike tried to make a 5 spot player. Then again, Mickelson couldn't shout the 3 like Connor does either. No, Conner is not as good as Kornet is now but he is similar to what Kornet was going into his Senior year of High School. Kornet really developed into the player that he is at Vanderbilt.

Pinto

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 04:32:17 pm
Mickelson was a 4 spot player that Mike tried to make a 5 spot player. Then again, Mickelson couldn't shout the 3 like Connor does either. No, Conner is not as good as Kornet is now but he is similar to what Kornet was going into his Senior year of High School. Kornet really developed into the player that he is at Vanderbilt.

No, I watched Kornet play in the Real Deal a few years back and he could somewhat run the floor. You can't expect that from Connor

poloprince

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 07, 2017, 04:23:44 pm
You think he may walk on?

I hope he wants to be a hog bad enough that he will walk on and earn a scholarship.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 04:32:17 pm

Guv, when Hunter was in hs I knew he would not make it. He didn't move his feet or work for position. Our Achilles heel the last 15 years has been scoring and defending in the paint. To CMA's credit he finally started playing Kingsley with Thompson . No longer could players drive the lane without getting their shots blocked by one or the other. You had to see a marked
difference. Also, as I said a myriad number of times. Kingsley and Portis should have played together for the same reason. You have to score in the paint,and you can't defend with miniature PF's . Some might say that Mike couldn't afford to play both at the same time because of foul trouble. Imho it is that attitude that cost us many a game. You gotta play to win not play not to lose. If we can get another big, our bases ought to be all covered. Then we just need to play hawgball defense.

GuvHog

Quote from: mhuff on May 07, 2017, 06:19:06 pm
Guv, when Hunter was in hs I knew he would not make it. He didn't move his feet or work for position. Our Achilles heel the last 15 years has been scoring and defending in the paint. To CMA's credit he finally started playing Kingsley with Thompson . No longer could players drive the lane without getting their shots blocked by one or the other. You had to see a marked
difference. Also, as I said a myriad number of times. Kingsley and Portis should have played together for the same reason. You have to score in the paint,and you can't defend with miniature PF's . Some might say that Mike couldn't afford to play both at the same time because of foul trouble. Imho it is that attitude that cost us many a game. You gotta play to win not play not to lose. If we can get another big, our bases ought to be all covered. Then we just need to play hawgball defense.

Right now it looks like the only other true big man Mike is after is the guy from Louisville who is 6'10" 240 lbs. If he doesn't get that guy then I expect he'll step up things with Conner.

Pinto

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 08:22:25 pm
Right now it looks like the only other true big man Mike is after is the guy from Louisville who is 6'10" 240 lbs. If he doesn't get that guy then I expect he'll step up things with Conner.

Are you referring to Ian Steere? I thought he was from Charlotte area?

mhuff

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2017, 08:22:25 pm

Conner will really have to step it up to ever be a scholarship player. Glad he is playing on an AAU team that he can get more playing time. Gonna have to guard his position without constant help

ShadowHawg

You are so full of bull.

chiti66

Quote from: mhuff on May 07, 2017, 06:19:06 pm
THIS^^^^^

And I hope like heck that CMA plays Gafford and Trey together, even in the starting lineup!  With the players we have returning, assuming that Barford and Macon comes back, CMA will have real options. Another big in the 6'8"-6'10" would be ideal, but someone would have to leave.  I feel good about the current roster and we should see some guys step up next year.

GHG!!

Pinto

Quote from: chiti66 on May 08, 2017, 08:40:19 am
THIS^^^^^

And I hope like heck that CMA plays Gafford and Trey together, even in the starting lineup!  With the players we have returning, assuming that Barford and Macon comes back, CMA will have real options. Another big in the 6'8"-6'10" would be ideal, but someone would have to leave.  I feel good about the current roster and we should see some guys step up next year.

GHG!!

Who would be the backup 5 if we start them together. He would need one of them one the court at all times

GuvHog

GuvHog

Quote from: chiti66 on May 08, 2017, 08:40:19 am
THIS^^^^^

GHG!!

Mike's Achilles Heel has been recruiting and signing true big men 6'10" or taller. In his 5 years at Arkansas, he's signed 3 and only 2 of them have had good careers as Hogs. The same was true for his mentor until he signed Darnell Robinson.

Big Nasty 34

Hmm, I thought Bobby Portis had a pretty good 2 years here. I guess he could have been National Player of the Year if it wasn't such a disaster.

chiti66

Quote from: Pinto on May 08, 2017, 08:46:22 am
Who would be the backup 5 if we start them together. He would need one of them one the court at all times

That's my point.  Who was the backup when Moses and Trey were on the court at the same time this past season?  CMA could sub and keep one on the court at all times, or he could go small with Cook and Thomas....options.

1st Team:
Barford
Macon
Beard or CJ/Bailey
Trey/Cook/Hazen
Gafford/Trey

2nd Team:
Beard/Garland
Garland/CJ
Bailey/Hall
Cook/Hazen
Thomas

Options.....

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: chiti66 on May 08, 2017, 10:08:54 am
That's my point.  Who was the backup when Moses and Trey were on the court at the same time this past season?  CMA could sub and keep one on the court at all times, or he could go small with Cook and Thomas....options.

1st Team:
Barford
Macon
Beard or CJ/Bailey
Trey/Cook/Hazen
Gafford/Trey

2nd Team:
Beard/Garland
Garland/CJ
Bailey/Hall
Cook/Hazen
Thomas

Options.....

That second team scoring would be a bit anemic.

chiti66

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 08, 2017, 10:12:39 am
That second team scoring would be a bit anemic.

Maybe...but if that is indeed how the 2nd line-up would go, then I think we'd press the hell out of teams and would look to score in transition. I just think that going forward, we will have options that we haven't seen in 10-15 years.  I trust the staff and with the team coming back we should count on a good season and a trip back to the tourney.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Pinto on May 08, 2017, 08:46:22 am

Maybe start them together in certain situations. Both Gafford and Trey are limited offensively so we lose firepower when both are on the court. But Trey's passing skills to a finisher like Gafford around the basket could be exciting. I agree it also exposes our lack of depth size wise at the 4 and 5.

chiti66

Totally agree.  Next year we have Perry and Henderson....and I hope we go after another big to back-up Gafford.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 08, 2017, 10:01:57 am
Hmm, I thought Bobby Portis had a pretty good 2 years here. I guess he could have been National Player of the Year if it wasn't such a disaster.

Bobby was a 5 spot player from the beginning and he was good at it. The player I was referring to is Mickelson.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on May 08, 2017, 02:02:56 pm
Bobby was a 5 spot player from the beginning and he was good at it. The player I was referring to is Mickelson.

Portis a 5 ??? He played 5 but I don't think anyone thought that was his natural position.