Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Harris

Started by HardingHog, April 26, 2017, 03:04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HardingHog

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/857311297695866881

I know nothing about the kid, but apparently he's a legit options since he's officially visiting

Hogs49ers

I would have to think that Barnett is not going to commit to the Hogs today, otherwise we would not be having any other players coming in to visit.
SCREW Vandy!

Kevin McPherson

First reported by Corey Evans of Rivals.com ... this one caught me off guard ... Hogs have 2-3 guys in the fold after Hardy and Barrett ... I know who 2 are, but was told a 3rd was a transfer and I was expecting a grad-transfer but could not figure out who ... obviously, it's another freshman transfer situation ... I've been following this kid on Twitter soon after he announced he was transferring, but I just did not reach out to him.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/857311297695866881

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/857326480459800577

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/857330445901582337

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/857331121901772800

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 26, 2017, 03:19:21 pm
I would have to think that Barnett is not going to commit to the Hogs today, otherwise we would not be having any other players coming in to visit.

Correct. Hogs moved on from Barrett on Monday night. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 26, 2017, 03:51:28 pm

Any idea why?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 26, 2017, 03:59:17 pm
Any idea why?

Yes, several ideas. Barrett was a backup plan at guard to Hardy, and apparently the coaches like Harris better as a backup plan at gaurd. They have 2 other players in the fold, so if they decided to move on from Barrett, they decided very recently they liked the other backup plans better.

Hogs49ers

You sir are pathetic.  Why don't you wait until we see what happens first huh?  Such ignorance... I am having a day and really do not have it in me to deal with this.
SCREW Vandy!

navyhog24

Whatever happened to Chris Darrington? Did they not go out and really try to get him?

Like with Michael Weathers, they just gave up on the kid and not let him visit. Maybe he did really wanna follow hos coach that bad, but they didn't even bring him in to try and change his mind. It's like they are afraid to put in some effort to someone or fight for a kid that isn't exactly leaning toward the Hogs before they visit.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 26, 2017, 04:17:57 pm
Harris is just a waste of a scholly if he can't contribute this year. Plus, he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire at New Mexico of all places. I don't get the love for him by the coaches. His highlight reel is nothing special. No offense to the kid. If he has to sit out a year, then we might as well just save the scholly for the 2018 class if we can't get anyone that can contribute in 2017. There's no point in taking Harris.

IMO, unless Barford or Macon leave, taking a Hardy or Barrett would be more of a waste of a scholarship than the Harris kid.

If everyone returns, minutes at the guard spots will be dominated by Barford, Macon, and Beard with Jones, Hall, and Garland getting minutes as well. A 7th guard would get little time and y'all would complain about him not red shirting. Now if we get Harris, he can sit out and learn the system and be a veteran guard to the others we have coming in in 2018. Also would help bridge the gap to Justice Hill.

We probably aren't getting a game changer at this stage of the game.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 26, 2017, 05:49:21 pm
IMO, unless Barford or Macon leave, taking a Hardy or Barrett would be more of a waste of a scholarship than the Harris kid.

If everyone returns, minutes at the guard spots will be dominated by Barford, Macon, and Beard with Jones, Hall, and Garland getting minutes as well. A 7th guard would get little time and y'all would complain about him not red shirting. Now if we get Harris, he can sit out and learn the system and be a veteran guard to the others we have coming in in 2018. Also would help bridge the gap to Justice Hill.

agree, I think it makes a lot of sense...  a good practice player for this year.. and a 5th yr sr guard in a few years... interesting to see the last couple they bring in..... but this kid's tape looked pretty smooth to me..

HardingHog

https://youtu.be/RRBRqwsR4bA

https://youtu.be/fBFkSeQpMwc

Here's some clips of him in high school playing AAU ball. I'm curious what kept him from being offered by bigger names
He does go for the flashy move or play every chance he gets. He has plus athleticism. I'm guessing from these clips that he can't really shoot. He does a good job finding his team mates on the drive. He is rather thin and who knows how he is at playing D
Not a bad option at this point. After a RS year I think he can be a solid PG/backup PG for a few years

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HardingHog on April 26, 2017, 06:36:01 pm

https://youtu.be/RRBRqwsR4bA

https://youtu.be/fBFkSeQpMwc

Here's some clips of him in high school playing AAU ball. I'm curious what kept him from being offered by bigger names
He does go for the flashy move or play every chance he gets. He has plus athleticism. I'm guessing from these clips that he can't really shoot. He does a good job finding his team mates on the drive. He is rather thin and who knows how he is at playing D
Not a bad option at this point. After a RS year I think he can be a solid PG/backup PG for a few years

I liked Barrett's game just fine, and it's hard to tell from those two And-1 tour reels you posted of Harris, but I like Harris' athleticism and court awareness/vision, and he obviously has ball skills (just not sure how they translate to real basketball). He committed about 10 different kinds of violations in those reels, talkin' stuff you can't bring to a real game and get away with. Not dogging him because for all I know he'll be a good fit, just hard to tell what he brings to a real game after watching that.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 26, 2017, 07:39:01 pm
I liked Barrett's game just fine, and it's hard to tell from those two And-1 tour reels you posted of Harris, but I like Harris' athleticism and court awareness/vision, and he obviously has ball skills (just not sure how they translate to real basketball). He committed about 10 different kinds of violations in those reels, talkin' stuff you can't bring to a real game and get away with. Not dogging him because for all I know he'll be a good fit, just hard to tell what he brings to a real game after watching that.

It shows he is a willing driver that's looking to pass and can make plays in the lane. We do not have that from our guards on campus.

Otis

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 26, 2017, 03:51:28 pm

If we moved on from Barrett Monday nite, why did you keep pumping his announcement for the rest of then week?

jjdlc

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 26, 2017, 08:00:19 pm
It shows he is a willing driver that's looking to pass and can make plays in the lane. We do not have that from our guards on campus.

2.3 assists and 1.3 TO per game, not terrible numbers for a freshman averaging 20 mins,.  Hard to judge though, as it takes two players to get an assist, and I have no idea about the Lobo's roster to know who he was distributing to.

runner645

I have been following Hardy and Barrett's recruiting and was initially very disappointed today.   I have looked at the videos of Harris.   He is very athletic and has great quickness.  I think he very well could be a great addition.   I trust the coaches to get the job done.  The corner is turning for us and we have many great recruits coming in this year and next. 

I love hog ball and have attended games since I was a 5 year old watching May, Day and Big O playing UNLV in Barnhill.  It will turn out great!  Go Hogs!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: jjdlc on April 26, 2017, 08:09:42 pm
2.3 assists and 1.3 TO per game, not terrible numbers for a freshman averaging 20 mins,.  Hard to judge though, as it takes two players to get an assist, and I have no idea about the Lobo's roster to know who he was distributing to.

I know you can't just go off highlights, but I think you can see tendencies. On the 3 clips of him I've watched, he's actually looking to pass and set others up. You rarely see that anymore on high lights. As good as our guards are at finishing, it sure would be nice to have a guy that could hit Gafford and other future bigs for an easy flush.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I think Harris is better than Barrett.

Hardy is without a doubt a buzz kill

azhog10

I've been told it wasn't even close between every staff member that Gladper would play more than Barrett and Hardy. Not sure I believe it to be that clear and cut but if the staff didn't see them as head and shoulders above RJ then I expect a transfer or a big/wing.

realistichog

I will have to agree with razorpimp on this one. Even going back to MA's Missouri days he had to depend on his friends kids and relatives. He has so far been unable to bring in top talent that doesn't have some kind of hog connection. The only recent exception might be Barford. He has even had trouble keeping the best in state talent. I'm not trying to be negative, these are just facts. Even if the Arkansas kids coming in are highly successful I'm not sure the national recruiting will improve as long as Mike is here. Hope I'm wrong cause I've been going to games since the Van Eman days so I don't have a lot of time to wait.lol

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Otis on April 26, 2017, 08:01:05 pm
If we moved on from Barrett Monday nite, why did you keep pumping his announcement for the rest of then week?

Rest of the week? This all transpired in less than 48 hours. I made 3 tweets on the subject, and only 2 of those pertained to his announcement. The first tweet late Monday reported the day of his announcement, the 2nd tweet was an immediate piggy-back to the 1st tweet that simply was a reminder of his recent visits and offers, and the 3rd was on Tues that simply gave the time and location of his announcement.

I did not know Hogs had moved on when I made the first two tweets late Monday. I did know in short order after those tweets went out, and thus prior to reporting the time and location of his announcement on Tues, but I saw no harm in doing that as a respectful gesture to him announcing his choice on his terms. Had I opted not to report the time and location of his announcement when he wanted me too, just because its not all about the Hogs, that's a great way to ruin trust and be petty.

I could have tweeted out that Hogs have moved on, but that too would have been the wrong thing to do given that the young man and his coach confided in me and allowed me to be the one to first report his interest level, his visit dates, his offer, his situation with Michigan, etc. He earned his right to announce his school and celebrate without me publicly saying his Hog offer was pulled.

Anyway, there is a member of this board (Pinto) who I told about all of this earlier today (well before Harris's name came up, well before Hardy or Barrett committed).

Pinto

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 26, 2017, 10:01:20 pm

Rest of the week? This all transpired in less than 48 hours. I made 3 tweets on the subject, and only 2 of those pertained to his announcement. The first tweet late Monday reported the day of his announcement, the 2nd tweet was an immediate piggy-back to the 1st tweet that simply was a reminder of his recent visits and offers, and the 3rd was on Tues that simply gave the time and location of his announcement.

I did not know Hogs had moved on when I made the first two tweets late Monday. I did know in short order after those tweets went out, and thus prior to reporting the time and location of his announcement on Tues, but I saw no harm in doing that as a respectful gesture to him announcing his choice on his terms. Had I opted not to report the time and location of his announcement when he wanted me too, just because its not all about the Hogs, that's a great way to ruin trust and be petty.

I could have tweeted out that Hogs have moved on, but that too would have been the wrong thing to do given that the young man and his coach confided in me and allowed me to be the one to first report his interest level, his visit dates, his offer, his situation with Michigan, etc. He earned his right to announce his school and celebrate without me publicly saying his Hog offer was pulled.

Anyway, there is a member of this board who I told about all of this earlier today (well before Harris's name came up, well before Hardy or Barrett committed).

I can definitely confirm this. Kevin has been spot on with his information(both public and private) and predictions that he has provided regarding the recent events that have transpired. You can't expect him to leak confidential information to the public for his and/or our benefit when the source has asked him not to do so.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Otis on April 26, 2017, 08:01:05 pm

Clicks man, clicks.

jjdlc

Quote from: azhog10 on April 26, 2017, 09:56:20 pm
I've been told it wasn't even close between every staff member that Gladper would play more than Barrett and Hardy. Not sure I believe it to be that clear and cut but if the staff didn't see them as head and shoulders above RJ then I expect a transfer or a big/wing.

Glasper is the forgotten quantity here, who knows, maybe he gets the scholarship. 

Have we even offered Harris?  We are bringing him in for a visit, but from what I've seen those are as much for us to  evaluate him as the other way around, I wouldn't be surprised if CMA gave the scholarship to Glasper if he can't find anyone better.

reddawg213

Quote from: jjdlc on April 26, 2017, 10:43:28 pm
Glasper is the forgotten quantity here, who knows, maybe he gets the scholarship. 

Have we even offered Harris?  We are bringing him in for a visit, but from what I've seen those are as much for us to  evaluate him as the other way around, I wouldn't be surprised if CMA gave the scholarship to Glasper if he can't find anyone better.

Glasper is already shopping other schools and likely gonna transfer.

If CMA is going to give him a scholarship, he needs to make that pitch quick. He currently has offers in hand from UAFS and Arkansas Tech, and is visiting a school in NM this week. Honestly, this late in the recruiting season, convincing Glasper to stay, scholarship or not, might be the best option on the table given available talent and the fact that we might lose another guard as well.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 26, 2017, 11:08:24 pm

If CMA is going to give him a scholarship, he needs to make that pitch quick. He currently has offers in hand from UAFS and Arkansas Tech, and is visiting a school in NM this week. Honestly, this late in the recruiting season, convincing Glasper to stay, scholarship or not, might be the best option on the table given available talent and the fact that we might lose another guard as well.

reddawg, do you know Glasper personally? Your info is very specific and I'm not doubting it because it makes sense, just curious how close you are to Glasper or someone who knows his situation?

reddawg213

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on April 26, 2017, 11:27:50 pm
reddawg, do you know Glasper personally? Your info is very specific and I'm not doubting it because it makes sense, just curious how close you are to Glasper or someone who knows his situation?

I do actually seeing as I'm originally from Forrest City . . . . . have known his family for years and I'll be the first one to tell you that I want nothing more than him to play for the hogs for the next 4 years. But, that's a choice that he and his family need to make not me or any other fan.

As far as the info goes, I would like to point out that Glasper possibly transferring has already been reported on the radio and is public knowledge seeing as he has been on a couple of visits already. He just hasn't been vocal about it.

The_Bionic_Pig

Gentleman "WE DON'T BASH RECRUITS" here.  I have removed all post which could be misconstrued in such manner.

Keep in mind these kid' Family & Friends/Classmates are a Google tap away from being linked directly into this arena.

Carry on....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jjdlc

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 26, 2017, 11:08:24 pm

I'm aware, it's one of the reasons I brought up the idea of CMA giving him a scholarship.  There was some buzz about Glasper coming out of practices prior to his injury, so the staff has to have at least some idea of his capabilities even if it wasn't in game situations.

Pinto

The more film I watch on Jalen,  the more I like him. Regardless of his lack of production as a freshman last year

Little Lady Back

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 27, 2017, 05:17:06 am
Gentleman "WE DON'T BASH RECRUITS" here.  I have removed all post which could be misconstrued in such manner.

Keep in mind these kid' Family & Friends/Classmates are a Google tap away from being linked directly into this arena.

Carry on....

Thank you, Bionic_Pig.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

navyhog24

Quote from: Pinto on April 27, 2017, 07:49:55 am
The more film I watch on Jalen,  the more I like him. Regardless of his lack of production as a freshman last year

I'll take what they do in actual college ball vs AAU where there is no defense being played.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 26, 2017, 11:50:04 pm
I do actually seeing as I'm originally from Forrest City . . . . . have known his family for years and I'll be the first one to tell you that I want nothing more than him to play for the hogs for the next 4 years. But, that's a choice that he and his family need to make not me or any other fan.

As far as the info goes, I would like to point out that Glasper possibly transferring has already been reported on the radio and is public knowledge seeing as he has been on a couple of visits already. He just hasn't been vocal about it.

Thank you. Appreciate you elaborating and clarifying.

reddawg213

Quote from: jjdlc on April 27, 2017, 05:50:25 am
I'm aware, it's one of the reasons I brought up the idea of CMA giving him a scholarship.  There was some buzz about Glasper coming out of practices prior to his injury, so the staff has to have at least some idea of his capabilities even if it wasn't in game situations.

He's been back practicing with the team since February based on videos that have been posted and as far as I've heard has been doing well. The only reason he was looking at other schools is finances. He's going out of pocket and his family can't afford another year without financial assistance.

When the Hogs looked like they could grab a top recruit, they allowed Glasper to look at his options but now, it's a situation where Glasper will have to announce his intentions soon so the other schools can move on. At, this point, I doubt the Hogs are gonna find a PG with a HS resume close to Glasper and Glasper has the added bonus of a year (minus 2 months for injury and rehab) on the team learning the system. I just hope that CMA and his staff don't waste too much time evaluating other options that he signs with another school and he's no longer an option.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 27, 2017, 08:16:41 am
I'll take what they do in actual college ball vs AAU where there is no defense being played.

I know next to nothing about the kid (haven't even watched the highlight videos yet), but I think you'd be surprised how many players have similar freshman seasons to the one Harris had and end up having good careers thereafter. Again, not taking a position on Harris, but I'm at least being honest that I haven't seen him. And I'm not judging off stats. Yes, he only averaged 4.5 PPG, but he only took an average of 3.45 shots per game. 72 assists to 40 turnovers is not bad at all for a freshman. To me, it looks like he played within himself. I think that's a good thing. Don't know anything about the Lobos roster, but it could be that he was not intended to play as much as he ended up playing. He averaged nearly a steal per game.

We also know that, before he was fired, Craig Neal was not happy to see him go:

Quote"It's disappointing that we have a freshman that has decided to leave," Neal said in an email sent to media. "We had really high hopes for Jalen, but he has a great future ahead of him and is an outstanding kid. We support his decision and wish him the best."

https://www.abqjournal.com/977886/freshman-pg-jalen-harris-latest-to-annuonce-hes-leaving-lobo-hoops.html

There's no doubt this is not a can't-miss/must-have kid. But he's athletic, has a good year of D1 experience in between the mid and major conference level, and he's got 3 years to play + a year to develop in practice. If Macon and Barford are both back, this could be a great addition. Or he could turn out to not be that good. It could really go either way. There are some red flags but also some positives.

RazorPiggie

Just save the scholarship for next year.

Hawg Red

Here's a look at Lobo fans' thoughts on Harris' transfer from one of their boards:

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66862

They are overwhelmingly positive about Harris and they all want him to stay. Sounds like a great Anderson fit.

The Hogfather

April 27, 2017, 10:08:45 am #37 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:23:01 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2017, 10:02:29 am
Here's a look at Lobo fans' thoughts on Harris' transfer from one of their boards:

http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66862

They are overwhelmingly positive about Harris and they all want him to stay. Sounds like a great Anderson fit.

I like this kid's game.  I just really wish we could get someone who can play right away.  If Macon and Barford stay, I think this would work out fine.  If not, I really think we need someone to play right away.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 27, 2017, 10:08:45 am
I like this kid ok.  I just really wish we could get someone who can play right away.  If Macon and Barford stay, I think this would work out fine.  If not, I really think we need someone to play right away.

Yeah, I think he's a perfect fit if they're both back. And, if not, I say still take him and put Glasper on scholarship.

King Kong

Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 27, 2017, 09:57:21 am
Just save the scholarship for next year.

Well, its clear the coaches want an experienced/one year in our system ball handler when the 2018 class comes in. As it stands now only Garland and Glasper (who may transfer) would fit that description.

Weathers, Hardy, Barrett and now Harris are all guys that wouldn't get major mins next year. (assuming Barford and Macon are back, which is the way the coaching staff has approached recruiting)

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2017, 10:12:52 am
Yeah, I think he's a perfect fit if they're both back. And, if not, I say still take him and put Glasper on scholarship.

I changed my first sentence.  I really like this kid's game and think he'd be a great fit.  The thing I only like "ok" is that he would have to sit out a year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2017, 10:12:52 am

I actually was wondering about Glasper.  Is it any indication of anything that the staff is going so hard after PGs this late in the game?  Is Glasper a legit option to make a difference for us in the future (i.e. next season)?

zebradynasty

My thoughts:

IF MA or the staff have been approaching these PG prospect with the terms "we can find you some minutes if Macon and Barford stay"....HUGE mistake! PG is difficult for any freshman but neither Barford or Macon are PG's. A truly talented PG would find minutes easy next season!

I had heard that before Glasper's injury he was doing pretty good in practice but maybe my report is off. To be honest Glasper was a flat out scorer in high school it would take some adjustments for him to become a pass first shoot second PG. In a wide open, helter skelter type game he can score points. His size is a concern in the half court. That being said I hope they can find him a scholarship.

King Kong

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 27, 2017, 10:34:02 am
My thoughts:

IF MA or the staff have been approaching these PG prospect with the terms "we can find you some minutes if Macon and Barford stay"....HUGE mistake! PG is difficult for any freshman but neither Barford or Macon are PG's. A truly talented PG would find minutes easy next season!

That's similar to what they said to Nick Babb and when he didn't get playing time he transferred. Even though he would have got a ton of mins in year 2. The trust was broken. Huge mistake to mislead kids. They will just transfer

Currently, we know Beard, Macon and Barford will play atleast 21+ mins per game. CJ we assume 20+ Mins. So is Hardy better than Garland? Because that who he is fighting mins
with. Most Recruiting services don't think so.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 26, 2017, 05:49:21 pm

I do agree with this.  I just REALLY hope Macon/Barford make the smart decision to stay for their senior years.  If they do and we get this kid, things will be looking great moving forward.

reddawg213

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 27, 2017, 10:25:33 am
I actually was wondering about Glasper.  Is it any indication of anything that the staff is going so hard after PGs this late in the game?  Is Glasper a legit option to make a difference for us in the future (i.e. next season)?

I wouldn't take it as a knock on the kid but a tactical mistake on the coaches part. After the tourney performance, it seems the coaches thought they could land a top tier PG given that they have a bunch of seniors next year and Glasper (a walk on) as the only returning PG on the roster. If they got a 4-star level PG to come on board, they viewed it as an upgrade at the position and hopefully, Glasper stays another as a walk-on to provide depth. So they held onto the scholarship and made their move. However, Glasper and his family don't seem to want to pay another year out of pocket and he's looking at moving on to another school. Furthermore, the Hogs have struck out on every major PG they went after. Which brings us here . . . . . at least that's my view of things so far.

Openly admitting I'm a little biased (Being from FC) . . . . . . . . on paper, I think that he's a better option than most HS recruits you could pick up this late. He was a stellar HS player. He averaged 27 pts, 6 rebs, 9 asts and 4 stls as a senior and was the leading offensive player in both of FCs state titles. FC went from 26-3 last year with a state title (against a solid, Shawn Williams lead Maumelle team) to 9-18 this year without Glasper and getting blown out 100-71 in the first round. There was a lot of buzz about him walking on and a lot of buzz about him coming out this fall before his injury. Add that to the fact that he knows the offense and has been in the system for a year I think it might be better to keep him on the roster and grab a transfer for next year. At worst, Glasper should be a very solid all-around guard off the bench.

But, again, I'm a little biased.

The Hogfather

Could we get Jalen Harris and put Glasper on scholly or would that require Macon or Barford leaving?

wavybone

Would require Macon or Barford leaving for Glasper to be put on scholly and get a commitment from Jalen Harris.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 27, 2017, 11:52:12 am
Could we get Jalen Harris and put Glasper on scholly or would that require Macon or Barford leaving?

It would require someone to leave.

NWAHog479

We have options which is nice and as an AR kid, I want Glasper to graduate from here... Met him at a tourney this summer when he was watching his brother, seems like a class act kid.