Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 42 THREAD: #11 Arkansas (32-9, 12-5 SEC) vs #10 Auburn (29-12, 11-6 SEC)

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, April 22, 2017, 11:17:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFansReunited

Well I think Biggers had to get on for us to even think about coming back. Good contact but right at someone.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

TNhawgfan

Thank goodness miz couldn't pitch this weekend or we get swept.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

JHicks3636

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

rljjr

HogFansReunited

Member #3568

JHicks3636

Spanberger tries for his 5th hit on the day, takes a strike, 1-1, 1-2 on the foul, strikes out swinging on a ball in the dirt

11-6 WE LOSE

Knot2brite

Luckily for us we have ole piss and candy at home and tenner on the road. The Ags series worried me tho
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Razorbacks#1

:razorback:

6               FINAL                   11

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | -  |  R |  H  | E  |LOB
ARK  0 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 | -  |  6  | 12 | 0  | 5   
AUB  0 | 4 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 2 |    | -  | 11 | 16 | 0  | 9
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Maddhog

iSad.   

Thanks for the work, JHicks and company.

Will be glad to get back to Baum. 

GO HOGS!
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

CJ HOG

Thanks for the pbp. Rough weekend.

No need to get down, still on pace for a 20-10 conf. finish which puts us in the thick of things. We need our starting pitching to get back on track for the stretch run. See everyone Tuesday.

Go Hogs Go!

jry04

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 23, 2017, 06:29:51 pm
Luckily for us we have ole piss and candy at home and tenner on the road. The Ags series worried me tho
All but Tennessee should worry us, simply because it is the SEC and anything can happen. We just got rocked on the mound this weekend against the worst hitting team in the SEC, and lost the series without their ace on the mound. Vanderbilt hasn't played well to this point, but talent wise has far more talent than anyone on our schedule minus LSU. They are certainly capable of coming into Fayetteville and winning.

lookawayquick

Thanks for the PBP.  Time for Hogs coaching staff to reassess the pitching staff, move some pieces around.

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Bacon_Bitz

jry04

Quote from: CJ HOG on April 23, 2017, 06:31:49 pm
Thanks for the pbp. Rough weekend.

No need to get down, still on pace for a 20-10 conf. finish which puts us in the thick of things. We need our starting pitching to get back on track for the stretch run. See everyone Tuesday.

Go Hogs Go!
Have to win all 4 series, or win 3 with a sweep and not get swept to reach 20 wins now, though.

thebignasty

Quote from: lookawayquick on April 23, 2017, 06:32:57 pm
Thanks for the PBP.  Time for Hogs coaching staff to reassess the pitching staff, move some pieces around.

Like what?

Knight and Stephan didn't have it this weekend and they are our clear cut one and two best guys. Bad outings by them put a ton of stress on a bullpen that isn't great to begin with this year.

The only move I see and it looks like it's been made, is that Kasey Murphy ought to get to start Sundays.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: thebignasty on April 23, 2017, 06:36:36 pm
Knight and Stephan didn't have it this weekend and they are our clear cut one and two best guys. Bad outings by them put a ton of stress on a bullpen that isn't great to begin with this year.

Good point.   We talked a lot before this series about the problems we expected Auburn's pitching staff to have without Mize.   As it turned out, the Hogs had exactly the same problems most of the weekend, and today they just ran out of options.

Knot2brite

Quote from: jry04 on April 23, 2017, 06:32:49 pm
All but Tennessee should worry us, simply because it is the SEC and anything can happen. We just got rocked on the mound this weekend against the worst hitting team in the SEC, and lost the series without their ace on the mound. Vanderbilt hasn't played well to this point, but talent wise has far more talent than anyone on our schedule minus LSU. They are certainly capable of coming into Fayetteville and winning.
We just play better at home...we have really had two bad games at home and they were basically the beast in our minds called LSU. Ole piss will have the pitching but we will know how to play them better on defense rather than the Pablo Picasso field we played on this weekend. We have to get more out of the starters this weekend that is a key and we have to approach the plate better this next weekend for sure

jry04

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 23, 2017, 06:43:52 pm
Good point.   We talked a lot before this series about the problems we expected Auburn's pitching staff to have without Mize.   As it turned out, the Hogs had exactly the same problems most of the weekend, and today they just ran out of options.
Unfortunately those problems were created by the starters going just over 5 innings combined. There are not too many teams in the country who can win a series when they get less than 6 combined innings out of their starters. Hopefully a few can step up Tuesday to get us through KSU, and we return to form against Ole Miss. Auburn and MSU play each other this next week, we could possibly get back into first with a good weekend.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: jry04 on April 23, 2017, 06:49:39 pm
Unfortunately those problems were created by the starters going just over 5 innings combined. There are not too many teams in the country who can win a series when they get less than 6 combined innings out of their starters.

Yes, exactly.   Thanks for clarifying my point.   

Baconomics

No starting pitcher made it to the 3rd inning and we hit only one HR all weekend.  We are fortunate we didn't get swept. 

Instead, we lost a road series against a ranked team.  Not really a big deal.  I would love to have won it.  I thought we would, but this was our worst series of the year.  (Yes, worse than LSU.). I'm glad it happened now instead of against Tennessee. 

But we are only one game out with 12 left to play.  Someone is going to win it.  Why not us?  I like our chances.

Knot2brite

So what is the extent of Taco's injury and does he start the game Tuesday or someone like Cronin, Heiss or Kopps

hogman64

Murphy has come along now  it seems he is ready to start on sundays Alberius could give a valuable inning or two during the weekend.  Win , Win...So Auburn didn't use their Ace this weekend , we haven't used ours  all year.

TebowHater

How much would putting Lee in the field and benching Fletcher for a bit to work on his swing affect our defense?

Knot2brite

Quote from: TebowHater on April 23, 2017, 09:08:15 pm
How much would putting Lee in the field and benching Fletcher for a bit to work on his swing affect our defense?
I doubt they are going to take him out of the lineup. He covers too much ground and has too good of a arm.

Kevin

Tired of seeing some guys pitch and not seeing some guys pitch.

Taco hurt?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hogman64 on April 23, 2017, 08:23:59 pm
Murphy has come along now  it seems he is ready to start on sundays Alberius could give a valuable inning or two during the weekend.  Win , Win...So Auburn didn't use their Ace this weekend , we haven't used ours  all year.
What do you do with Reindl?   I wouldn't be mad if they make him the Sunday guy.   Relievers didn't lose this series though, it was the starters only throwing 5 innings combined over the entire weekend. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Knot2brite

Quote from: Kevin on April 23, 2017, 09:26:46 pm
Tired of seeing some guys pitch and not seeing some guys pitch.

Taco hurt?
Taco hurt....who do you want to see pitch? We threw everyone we took except Taco from what I understand

pigture perfect

Well, that sux. I hate Aubbie. Really wanted this series. We will be ok though. Thanks for a great thread. See ya next time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogman64

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 23, 2017, 09:36:18 pm
What do you do with Reindl?   I wouldn't be mad if they make him the Sunday guy.   Relievers didn't lose this series though, it was the starters only throwing 5 innings combined over the entire weekend.

closer....

Kevin

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 23, 2017, 09:51:01 pm
Taco hurt....who do you want to see pitch? We threw everyone we took except Taco from what I understand

Cronin and heiss did not make the trip?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Knot2brite

Quote from: Kevin on April 24, 2017, 06:04:27 am
Cronin and heiss did not make the trip?
Cronin did but I am not sure Heiss did...Denton replaced someone as this was his first time on the SEC roster. I did think that Cronin pitched this weekend. I figure he starts or pitches against KSU

code red

I thought this is more like what our staff would look like, after the key injuries.  We have pieced it together nicely.  Now finish the regular season and hold on.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DiamondHogFan

Auburn hasn't hit the ball like that all year.  They were geared up for this series and Knight was off.  I'm glad we won 1.  That was what a lot of people expected us to do anyways.  Still a lot to play for.

jry04

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 24, 2017, 10:05:56 am
Auburn hasn't hit the ball like that all year.  They were geared up for this series and Knight was off.  I'm glad we won 1.  That was what a lot of people expected us to do anyways.  Still a lot to play for.
While I get what you are saying, when Mize was announced as out this weekend most expected us to win the series. On D1 baseball 7 of the 8 analysts picked Arkansas. Even the homer Auburn announcers said after game 2 that we were in great shape to win the series with how depleted their pitching was. we had a golden opportunity, but unfortunately our pitching was a little worse than theirs on Sunday.

However, losing on the road against a top 15 team really isn't going to hurt us in the long run. As long as we take care of business against KSU, Ole Miss, and Tennessee we will be in great shape to win the SECW and host a regional.

hogman64

Quote from: jry04 on April 24, 2017, 10:44:27 am
While I get what you are saying, when Mize was announced as out this weekend most expected us to win the series. On D1 baseball 7 of the 8 analysts picked Arkansas. Even the homer Auburn announcers said after game 2 that we were in great shape to win the series with how depleted their pitching was. we had a golden opportunity, but unfortunately our pitching was a little worse than theirs on Sunday.

However, losing on the road against a top 15 team really isn't going to hurt us in the long run. As long as we take care of business against KSU, Ole Miss, and Tennessee we will be in great shape to win the SECW and host a regional.

In my opinion a big reason we lost the game was our inability to get only two runs off of their starter. Sure our pitching wasn't great but we had a chance to run away from them the first three innings.  Their starter was throwing batting practice and we kept trying to do to much at the plate and missing on swings where the pitch was elevated and  right down the middle , the kind of pitches that normally we make a pitcher pay for throwing.  Their starter got away with a lot of bad pitches. We should have had 5 to 8 runs off of him in the first three innings.

Another reason was Anthony was unconscious , it isn't quite as easy as opening your stance and becoming Mike Trout but he had so much confidence in that new stance this weekend  he was hitting better than Trout and couldn't be contained   he hit much better than  he ever has in college. he will get back to his old self more than likely but it wasn't going to be this weekend, he hurt us.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 24, 2017, 10:05:56 am
This is how I feel.
This series has been building as the 'showdown of the West' for some time, and Auburn was just laying in wait for us, chomping at the bit.
I wasn't surprised Knight lost, he was bound to have an off night somewhere, but I was surprised he got rocked so hard. But not worried about him, no one's perfect.
As long as you don't get swept in the SEC, you're alright. To be honest, having to go down there for this much hyped series, I was glad to get one and be done with it. Not much damage done. Now we'll see if we continue our good play overall, and see if Auburn falls off a bit, I think they were 'jacked' for this series, so may be due for a letdown.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 24, 2017, 06:01:09 pm
This is how I feel.
This series has been building as the 'showdown of the West' for some time, and Auburn was just laying in wait for us, chomping at the bit.
I wasn't surprised Knight lost, he was bound to have an off night somewhere, but I was surprised he got rocked so hard. But not worried about him, no one's perfect.
As long as you don't get swept in the SEC, you're alright. To be honest, having to go down there for this much hyped series, I was glad to get one and be done with it. Not much damage done. Now we'll see if we continue our good play overall, and see if Auburn falls off a bit, I think they were 'jacked' for this series, so may be due for a letdown.

I feel Auburn's let down is coming this weekend - MSU is absolutely on fire, hitting out of their minds - their pitching has solidified from earlier in the year (they can throw breaking stuff), the defense is still solid - Auburn is going into a hostile environment much worse than we faced on the plains, and won't have a softball park to use to their advantage - the state fans will make life miserable for the Mullet Men...Auburn will be very lucky to get a single win in Starkvegas.

We'll have our hands full with Ole Miss this weekend...being at home helps...Knight, Stephan, the whole bullpen, should feel more comfortable in friendly surroundings ... barring a horrible officiating crew being assigned, my expectation is 2/3 with Saturday's game as a toss up.

fademe

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 25, 2017, 12:13:43 am
I feel Auburn's let down is coming this weekend - MSU is absolutely on fire, hitting out of their minds - their pitching has solidified from earlier in the year (they can throw breaking stuff), the defense is still solid - Auburn is going into a hostile environment much worse than we faced on the plains, and won't have a softball park to use to their advantage - the state fans will make life miserable for the Mullet Men...Auburn will be very lucky to get a single win in Starkvegas.

We'll have our hands full with Ole Miss this weekend...being at home helps...Knight, Stephan, the whole bullpen, should feel more comfortable in friendly surroundings ... barring a horrible officiating crew being assigned, my expectation is 2/3 with Saturday's game as a toss up.

Auburn's letdown may very well come this weekend on the road at State, but they're a pretty hot team too. Since the series loss to aTm, they're averaging 9.4 runs per game and .314 BA. And the starting pitching has been really good. Bullpen has been iffy, and that's a concern going on the road. But Auburn is playing well right now.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HogFansReunited on April 23, 2017, 06:29:08 pm
This hurts worse than the LSU loss.
We gave away the LSU series.  Auburn was in control from the 1st pitch of the series.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: fademe on April 25, 2017, 08:03:37 am
Auburn's letdown may very well come this weekend on the road at State, but they're a pretty hot team too. Since the series loss to aTm, they're averaging 9.4 runs per game and .314 BA. And the starting pitching has been really good. Bullpen has been iffy, and that's a concern going on the road. But Auburn is playing well right now.

No doubt Auburn is hot - the hogs got to see that first hand - I'm of the opinion that MSU has what it takes to slow them down and home field advantage - it will be interesting to see how weather affects this series.

I honestly think if we had to play MSU in a series right now they would take a minimum of 2/3 , with a sweep very likely, even at Baum...

jry04

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 25, 2017, 03:27:42 pm
No doubt Auburn is hot - the hogs got to see that first hand - I'm of the opinion that MSU has what it takes to slow them down and home field advantage - it will be interesting to see how weather affects this series.

I honestly think if we had to play MSU in a series right now they would take a minimum of 2/3 , with a sweep very likely, even at Baum...
We definitely wouldn't sweep MSU, but they wouldn't sweep us either. I think eventually the amount of luck they have had will reverse. I mean against Alabama they scored 3 runs in the 11th to tie the game without a single ball leaving the infield. The tying run scored after a routine popup was dropped in the infield because the pitcher tried to field it and fell down on his back camped under it. Stuff like that has been happening to MSU all season.

MSU is a hot team, but eventually their lack of pitching depth will catch up to them, in my opinion.