Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ar Hawks--Adidas Uprising Tournament Boxscore

Started by hdturner, April 21, 2017, 09:26:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

April 21, 2017, 09:42:56 pm #1 Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:06:53 pm by Hogs49ers
- Isaiah Joe continues his dominance from 3pt land - shooting 5/9 (55% from 3pt)

- DJ Weaver was solid in limited minutes - 3/5 FG, 2/3 3pt FG in 11 minutes

- Ethan Henderson struggled tonight - 1/3 FG, 1 rb, 2 ast, 1 TO through 25 min

- Entire team struggled and lost the game from the FT Line - 16/35  (This is why they lost the championship at Real Deal in the Rock - got to shore up their free throws)
SCREW Vandy!

HogInThaGrove

Man, if there's one thing that drives me more nuts than anything, it's missed free throws. Whoever worked with the Hogs in that area this year (my bet is Scotty) better work some magic with these kids.  They're young, I think they'll get serious about it, all they need to do is look at this game and the real deal finals game to see how important they are.

RazorAg

LRrazorback

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 21, 2017, 09:42:56 pm
- Isaiah Joe continues his dominance from 3pt land - shooting 5/9 (55% from 3pt)

- Entire team struggled and lost the game from the FT Line - 16/35  (This is why they lost the championship at Real Deal in the Rock - got to shore up their free throws)

I wonder about E Hendersons consistency.  On his high school team he only played 5 minutes in the championship game.  Seems like a player that can disappear at times and not contribute anything. Most of the time, players like this are rarely a factor over the course of a college career and have low motors. Consider me a little worried about E Henderson. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 22, 2017, 10:26:56 am
I wonder about E Hendersons consistency.  On his high school team he only played 5 minutes in the championship game.  Seems like a player that can disappear at times and not contribute anything. Most of the time, players like this are rarely a factor over the course of a college career and have low motors. Consider me a little worried about E Henderson. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Henderson size makes him a D-1 level type recruit. I watched Parkview about 5 times last season. The positive about Henderson is that he will throw it down when giving the opportunity. He has to become more assertive and get stronger.

HardingHog

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 21, 2017, 09:42:56 pm

Usually guys that do not shoot well from the FT line are not natural shooters and do not shoot the ball well.  Hopefully this is not the case.  Also maybe Henderson should of seat more.  Could have been just a bad game but when you are a 4 star stud in summer ball and play 25 minutes you are suppose to produce.   this is the reason you must have depth and play the ones producing that day if you want to win championships.

FineAsSwine

hdturner

hdturner

ballinhog

Just watched most of game 4 vs Garner Road, another loss for the Hawks who's 1-3 in Dallas. A few small notes I got from each player

Isaiah Joe-- I was impressed with his length and his ball handling was quite a bit better than I expected but his shot wasn't falling in this game. It's easy to see the star in him tho. He looks very good and his ranking should skyrocket this summer.

Desi Sills and Justice Hill both looked out of control at times. Hill struggled with decision making and both had at least a few turnovers, neither shot the ball well. I expected them to look much better but it's just one game so I'm not gonna get too down about it.

Ethan Henderson-- He didn't really stand out to me one way or the other. Had a dunk late in the game. Definitely needs to work a lot on free throws over the next year or two.

Reggie Perry-- Last but definitely not least. Everything I expected and then some. Super talent, he can do it all. He rebounds, blocks shots, very good ball handler for his size, nice shot with a natural scorers instinct. Can post you up with a variety of post moves, hits the mid range jumper and will step out and hit the 3 comfortably. Rebounds and pushes the ball like a point forward, looks so natural at everything he does. He will be one of the best players we've had and I will definitely say the most talented guy we've signed since Joe Johnson, doesn't mean he will be the best but absolutely the most talented. Can't wait to see him in the hog uni

ballinhog

I just seen that Hill only had 1 turnover in game 4 which surprised me. Seemed like he had a few. He just didn't look under control to me today. Either way I'm excited about him, he's still young and definitely has the talent, that's easy to see

azhog10

Quote from: hdturner on April 23, 2017, 01:28:33 pm
Game 4 boxscore. 1-3 on weekend something not clicking right now

https://basketball.exposureevents.com/83452/event/documents/gamestatistics?ids=3140513&output=pdf&r=7
Lack of a bench. Large number of fouls. It seemed like the hawks had two or three  guys fouling out or in serious foul trouble based off the box scores every game.

ballinhog

Quote from: azhog10 on April 23, 2017, 05:22:39 pm
Lack of a bench. Large number of fouls. It seemed like the hawks had two or three  guys fouling out or in serious foul trouble based off the box scores every game.

Today was the first time I've had a chance to see them play and they couldn't seem to get in sync on either end of the court. Turnovers and offensive fouls seemed to happen every 2 or 3 possessions and foul after foul on defense.

Letsroll1200

AAU basketball some get exposure and some get exposed.

draftkings33

I'm really concerned they are looking this bad.  Inconsistent shooters all of them.  Sometimes I wonder if AAU hurts kids skills and shooting since they are traveling all over the country just playing hundreds of games.  Might be why Europeans are taking over the NBA

Hogs49ers

Quote from: draftkings33 on April 23, 2017, 08:31:49 pm
I'm really concerned they are looking this bad.  Inconsistent shooters all of them.  Sometimes I wonder if AAU hurts kids skills and shooting since they are traveling all over the country just playing hundreds of games.  Might be why Europeans are taking over the NBA

Most idiotic thing I have heard in 2017 - congratulations! You had 4 comments and they just got dumber as they went on...
SCREW Vandy!

Kevin McPherson

Just got home in LR after covering the Hawks and watching other teams. Concerns are valid after a 1-3 showing, here are just a few quick thoughts ...

* Reggie Perry looks like a pro, still say he is a no-brainer 5-star. Best player on the court every game, by a lot in most cases. Affects games similarly to guys like Lamar Odom and Chris Webber = 4s whose skill allowed them to play like 3s. Can beat you inside and out. Average hops, but long, strong, and agile. He sometimes gears his motor down which leads to turnovers on offense, or missed D assignments and rebs, but that can be fixed and is not much of a concern.

* Isaiah Joe is just a good basketball player, but he's the only guard willing to shoot and teams played junk-zone Ds to chase him while collapsing whenever Desi or Justice tried to drive and penetrate. Isaiah is so much more than catch-and-shoot on offense, and he is a good defender (plus-defender in Arkansas).

* Justice did a better job of finding seams and attacking on Sunday than he did on Fri and Sat, but he did not shoot enough to counter the Ds thrown at the Hawks. Also was woeful at the FT line except for the final game. Struggled with execution once he beat his man off the dribble in the first 2 games, then did a better job today as stated.

* Desi was not himself, neither was Ethan. Both spent time with the wellness folks before games, not making excuses for them, but especially in regard to Desi, I could tell he was off. Ethan was in constant foul trouble all weekend, but had a huge 2nd half in today's 1st game that was a big reason the Hawks got a W.

* I really like DJ Weaver. Does good things inside and out, has a nice shot all the way out to the 3-point line. Smart and unselfish player, but mobility and timing are still off some because of the lingering effects of the knee injury that kept him out for 18 months.

* Teams were just too good for the Hawks' full-court pressure D. At Real Deal, the Hawks turned teams over and it snowballed in a good way for them, but this weekend their full-court D usually resulted in a made 3 or a layup for the other team. Poor rebounding, missed FTs, and turnovers were downfalls in 2 of the 3 losses.

songofthesword

well now you see why they are free fallingin the rankings just saying

Kevin McPherson

The stat that truly matters right now is 1-3 record after first 4 games, but here are some individual stat rankings after the first session of Adidas Gauntlet (the official stats are wrong, BTW, but not by much. The numbers I kept and tweeted throughout the weekend were accurate, but for the purpose of reporting the official Adidas stat leader board, I'm going off their numbers here) ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/856352834949967872

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/856353442847232000

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/856353612099932161

HardingHog

Some people need to exhale. I realize we're Arkansas fans, so our emotions swing on every change in the wind but some are making a bigger deal of this than you should. Also, it's important to have reasonable expectations

A) They're basically a 6 man team judging by what I've heard/seen in the box score, so they don't have much depth past the starting 5
B) When looking at them from the non-Arkansas fan perspective they are a team with 1 stud (Perry) and a few role players: The little PG (Hill), the shooter (Joe), the dogged guard (Sills), and the athlete (Henderson)
C) They're kids in a multi-game/day tournament far from home while still in school, so obviously focus is always a question

So, yes they didn't play well. Nothing has magically changed about their abilities over the weekend though. The team is good, not great. This is just an opportunity for them to get more motivated to get better and become better basketball players

draftkings33

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 23, 2017, 08:42:29 pm
Most idiotic thing I have heard in 2017 - congratulations! You had 4 comments and they just got dumber as they went on...
typical blind hog fan.  Do some research pal and you will see the increase in Euros over American players.  Why is it?  It's very simple they have more skill which you have to develop.  Athletic ability is god given and America has them beat on that.  You think these kids are better off going on 3 or 4 day trips every weekend rather than being in the gym working on skills, shooting, and lifting and nutrition?  That's what the Europeans are doing.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: draftkings33 on April 24, 2017, 08:44:49 am
typical blind hog fan.  Do some research pal and you will see the increase in Euros over American players.  Why is it?  It's very simple they have more skill which you have to develop.  Athletic ability is god given and America has them beat on that.  You think these kids are better off going on 3 or 4 day trips every weekend rather than being in the gym working on skills, shooting, and lifting and nutrition?  That's what the Europeans are doing.

Or it's because European players are actually playing basketball now while hardly any of them did 25 years ago. There's simply more talent available, has little to do with American's not playing as well.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 24, 2017, 10:40:15 am
Or it's because European players are actually playing basketball now while hardly any of them did 25 years ago. There's simply more talent available, has little to do with American's not playing as well.

This. 

I never said that there were not more Europeans in the league now-a-days, but think it is absolutely ignorant and ridiculous of you to you to reach like that and assume it is because the young ballers in America are playing too many AAU games.  Just plain silly.
SCREW Vandy!

draftkings33

Which players have way more natural athletic ability?  American players or Europeans?  Not even close.  Take a guy like Malik Monk one of the most talented athletes on the planet.  Yet in majority of his games he shot less than 25 percent from three.  Spend more time in the gym and less time traveling all over the country!

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on April 25, 2017, 10:24:13 am
Which players have way more natural athletic ability?  American players or Europeans?  Not even close.  Take a guy like Malik Monk one of the most talented athletes on the planet.  Yet in majority of his games he shot less than 25 percent from three.  Spend more time in the gym and less time traveling all over the country!

He shot 39.7% from 3 on the season. He shot less than 25% from 3 in 12 of 38 games (31.6%). He shot 35% (what I'm considering the starting point for "good") or more from 3 in 18 games (47%). Look, I'm not trying to defend the kid because the wound is still healing, but you're flat wrong about him. He's a streak shooter, but he was good more than he was bad from 3. He shot 25% or better from 3 in 26 of 38 games (68%).

draftkings33

In 23 of his games he shot 32-141 which is 22 percent,  I've watched the kid for years.  Very inconsistent shooter and doesn't rebound or play good D.  Likes to snowbird. Amazingly in 30 of his games he either got 2 or less rebounds or assist.  Too small and weak for a 2 guard in the NBA and not a true PG.  I think he will struggle

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on April 25, 2017, 11:13:17 am
In 23 of his games he shot 32-141 which is 22 percent,  I've watched the kid for years.  Very inconsistent shooter and doesn't rebound or play good D.  Likes to snowbird. Amazingly in 30 of his games he either got 2 or less rebounds or assist.  Too small and weak for a 2 guard in the NBA and not a true PG.  I think he will struggle

Way to convolute a stat to help your narrative.

I agree with everything else you've said here, but you can't make the claim that he shot less than 25% from 3 in 23 games by cherry-picking his worst games and combining them. You can only go game-by-game.

draftkings33

Hawg Red

niels_boar

In the NBA All-Star game this season only 2 of 25 players were foreign born.  I'd hardly call that taking over.  Given that stars like Nowitzki and Divac long ago shattered the bias against European talent, it's not like the NBA isn't scouring European gyms.  They don't dominate shooting stats either. Only about 15 of the top 100 (2 of the top 25) in 3-pt percentage in the NBA this season were foreign born.  American shooting is alive and well.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

NWAHog479

Not really impressed with their W-L ratio... Thought this was going to be a special team

Pinto

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 26, 2017, 11:18:43 am
Not really impressed with their W-L ratio... Thought this was going to be a special team

Hopefully it was just a really off weekend for them. Perry played well even though he had like 10 turnovers one game

NWAHog479

Quote from: Pinto on April 26, 2017, 11:29:10 am
Hopefully it was just a really off weekend for them. Perry played well even though he had like 10 turnovers one game

I can't wait for him to get on campus, different game, but he is BUILT like Joe Johnson and kind of reminds me of Tobias Harris a little bit.

Pinto

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 26, 2017, 01:18:06 pm
I can't wait for him to get on campus, different game, but he is BUILT like Joe Johnson and kind of reminds me of Tobias Harris a little bit.

Don't know think he's as mobile as the two though. Reminds me of Aldridge