Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Complete the Phrase:"Arkansas basketball is ______. "

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, April 18, 2017, 08:37:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on April 20, 2017, 08:24:50 pm
Obviously, we got pimp slapped by a "nationality relevant" teams refs.

Oh yeah. My bad.

I forgot about all the times the Hogs finished the year ranked in the Top 25.

Let's see..Exactly once in the last 18 years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/

Hey, that's slightly-nationally relevant 5% of the time for almost two decades, right?

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: cityhog on April 20, 2017, 02:02:44 pm
Here's the deal. If AR fans would ever let go of the fact that we'll most likely never compete for an SEC or nat'l championship in football and throw our energy behind basketball, we'd be much better off. It was said on the radio recently the the UofA is a football school, but Arkansas is a basketball state. MUCH more basketball talent in this state, but we're so obsessed with football that basketball suffers.

The potential is there for AR basketball to be very good every single year. But kids just don't see the same passion from fans about the Bball hogs as the do for the football team.

So my answer to the fill in the blank is

Arkansas basketball is ... a sleeping giant.

I do not agree with that statement at all. On Friday night you can go to the worst HS football game in the state and the stands will be pretty full. Go to some of the best basketball games, and the gym is half empty. Arkansas is a football state, with one area that produces some really good basketball players.

And what does " throw our energy behind basketball " even mean?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on April 20, 2017, 04:55:13 pm
I actually like CBB, it was more of a jab at hogsanity because he preaches that he is just being "critical" or objective but when you read what he posts in the football forum he seems very much pleased with a coach who is putting up mediocre numbers. Spare me on the comparison of conferences in basketball and football. The SEC was very very close in having multiple final four teams, and two of the toughest games for UNC in the playoffs came at the hands of SEC teams.

No, it was not a jab at me, it was the usual, worship Anderson, and hate all other coaches.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Better than it has been in years and looking better and better going forward.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

out of it's nosedive; leveled off; and climbing. Future classes stocked with talent. So glad to see CMA building the program back, bit by bit with a good solid foundation.

The future is so bright, I gotta wear  8).
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on April 21, 2017, 08:27:59 am
No, it was not a jab at me, it was the usual, worship Anderson, and hate all other coaches.
I don't hate CBB. I like him but I'm not a win now and at all costs kind of guy. Some expect Anderson to win 25 plus games and in the elite 8 and okay with football making a toilet bowl.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 20, 2017, 11:57:44 am
For the younger generation that was born and remembers Razorback basketball after the Eddie Sutton era all they know is the Nolan Richardson "40 Minutes of Hell" era. So you really can't blame them for their perception of Razorback basketball. He set the bar pretty high for the new crop.

The younger generation (along with a few others) needs to learn to put the "40 minutes of hades" mantra where it belongs which is in the history books because it is indeed History and is never coming back. People need to accept that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cityhog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 21, 2017, 08:25:45 am
I do not agree with that statement at all. On Friday night you can go to the worst HS football game in the state and the stands will be pretty full. Go to some of the best basketball games, and the gym is half empty. Arkansas is a football state, with one area that produces some really good basketball players.

you just illustrated my point exactly:
'you can go to the worst HS football game in the state and the stands will be pretty full' i.e.. bad to mediocre talent is rewarded with full stands, whereas - 'Go to some of the best basketball games, and the gym is half empty'.

What I am trying to say is we have more HIGH QUALITY basketball talent in this state than we do HIGH QUALITY Football talent.

Perhaps I should amend my statement by saying 'we continue to be a football state in spite of being a state rich in basketball talent'.

I don't think our basketball talent all comes from one area. Sure we get ours from NLR and Central AR, but there has been GREAT talent form El Dorado, Jonesboro, Texarkana, Fayetteville, Bentonville by way of Lepanto, etc.

And throwing our energy behind basketball means showing up and supporting these 'great HS teams' with more than a 1/2 full gym as opposed to celebrating the 2-9 local football team with a full stadium. I mean support them but a little love both ways would be nice.

hogsanity

Quote from: cityhog on April 21, 2017, 10:07:51 am
you just illustrated my point exactly:
'you can go to the worst HS football game in the state and the stands will be pretty full' i.e.. bad to mediocre talent is rewarded with full stands, whereas - 'Go to some of the best basketball games, and the gym is half empty'.

What I am trying to say is we have more HIGH QUALITY basketball talent in this state than we do HIGH QUALITY Football talent.

Perhaps I should amend my statement by saying 'we continue to be a football state in spite of being a state rich in basketball talent'.

I don't think our basketball talent all comes from one area. Sure we get ours from NLR and Central AR, but there has been GREAT talent form El Dorado, Jonesboro, Texarkana, Fayetteville, Bentonville by way of Lepanto, etc.

And throwing our energy behind basketball means showing up and supporting these 'great HS teams' with more than a 1/2 full gym as opposed to celebrating the 2-9 local football team with a full stadium. I mean support them but a little love both ways would be nice.

First, I do not think the state produces much top level, p5 type talent in either sport. It seems we produce more in basketball because we have had 3 or 4 pretty good players every year for the last 3 or 4, and have a good crop the next couple years too. You can 100,000 people turn out to watch, it is not going to make the players better.

We produce about the same # of high level football players every year that we produce in basketball or baseball. I don't see anyone screaming to throw our support behind baseball, even though that has been the most consistently successful sport, along with track, at the UofA for decades.

Football is an event. You get 12 weekends a year for the Hogs, 10-12 for your HS, and you can find huge crowds at rinky dink games on Saturdays. Basketball is a bridge for most people ,something to maybe do in the dead of winter after deer season and before spring football.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

southarkhog06

Quote from: azhog10 on April 20, 2017, 04:55:13 pm
I actually like CBB, it was more of a jab at hogsanity because he preaches that he is just being "critical" or objective but when you read what he posts in the football forum he seems very much pleased with a coach who is putting up mediocre numbers. Spare me on the comparison of conferences in basketball and football. The SEC was very very close in having multiple final four teams, and two of the toughest games for UNC in the playoffs came at the hands of SEC teams.
I will tell you the same thing I would tell hogsanity.

Football=Apples, Basketball=Oranges. That is really all there is to it.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 21, 2017, 10:31:12 am

Plus, they are both very tasty if you like the cowhide leather used in footballs or in the case of NBA basketballs, a composite leather.
Hogs up! Covid down!

elksnort

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on April 18, 2017, 08:37:56 pm
Arkansas basketball is Nolan Richardson.

Arkansas basketball is 40 Minutes of Hell.

To ME, that is what Arkansas basketball IS and ALWAYS WILL BE. 

Arkansas basketball IS PRESSING AND TRAPPING FOREVER UNTIL THE WILL OF THE OPPONENT IS CRACKED LIKE AN ICICLE ON A COLD FEBRUARY DAY.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

IT ALL BEGINS AND ENDS WITH NOLAN.  :razorback:
Your title was much better than your post.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: elksnort on April 21, 2017, 10:38:27 am
Your title was much better than your post.

I think he made an accurate description of Arkansas basketball at its peak. At one time, we were alone at the pinnacle of college basketball and the next year was within a whisker of a return to being the best college basketball team in America, bar none, no poll needed.

It was settled on the court and beyond conjecture and any form of dispute. We were the kings of college basketball, if only for a while. That accomplishment will never be taken away nor eclipsed. It can only be equaled.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2017, 10:03:49 am
I don't hate CBB. I like him but I'm not a win now and at all costs kind of guy. Some expect Anderson to win 25 plus games and in the elite 8 and okay with football making a toilet bowl.

A double standard exists, for sure.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

putting pressure on the football team to step up its game.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

going to have a lot more national exposure next year, thanks to the PK80.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

is so blessed to have Lil Dan Dan step into Kingsley's shoes next season. Just as Joshua took over for Moses and led the people into the promised land, Gafford is going to help take the fan base to the next level of excitement and success in the tournament.

8)
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 21, 2017, 08:25:45 am

This is such bs.

Arkansas' highest divisions have horrible football attendance outside of a few traditional powers. Early round playoff games are ghost towns with zero energy in stadium.

The worm is turning. In LR the best athletes are consistently choosing basketball over football. Across the state, there are tons of travel ball basketball teams going all over the country.

Football is a year round sports where you get to play 12 games. Basketball is also a year round sport but you play over 100 games.

Things always change.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 21, 2017, 12:14:36 pm

Have you not been paying attention to the recruits CMA has coming in over the next 3 years?  Are you kidding me!

I know what they are supposed to be like, but they have not made it to campus yet, much less played a game.

southarkhog06

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 21, 2017, 10:37:52 am
Plus, they are both very tasty if you like the cowhide leather used in footballs or in the case of NBA basketballs, a composite leather.
Just need some Frank's Red Hot.

azhog10

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 21, 2017, 10:31:12 am
I will tell you the same thing I would tell hogsanity.

Winning is winning. How do you like those apples?

PorkSoda

Arkansas basketball is 40 minutes of hell frozen over

seriously though, the team had a good year and if recruiting continues to go well, we should be tough out for years to come.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2017, 01:55:17 pm
Winning is winning. How do you like those apples?

and both teams had a winning season in the last one completed for both.

hamARchy in the USA

Arkansas basketball is ---- currently being propped up by very favorable imbalances in the SEC schedule.

Flip that dynamic and Arkansas basketball is ---- looking for a coach.

tophawg19

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 21, 2017, 10:47:15 am
A double standard exists, for sure.
one plays in the SEC west , The greatest division in football. The other plays in a top heavy league with a couple good teams . Football is much tougher and require more good players to compete . Arkansas produces a lot of great Basketball players . Both the wings and Hawks play high level B-ball every year. . Compare the history of top 25 finishes and i think we are a football school but that doesn't mean we can't be both
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

FineAsSwine

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 22, 2017, 08:01:11 am
one plays in the SEC west , The greatest division in football. The other plays in a top heavy league with a couple good teams . Football is much tougher and require more good players to compete . Arkansas produces a lot of great Basketball players . Both the wings and Hawks play high level B-ball every year. . Compare the history of top 25 finishes and i think we are a football school but that doesn't mean we can't be both

More than a couple of good teams.  Vanderbilt,  SC, Arkansas, Florida and KY were all good basketball teams. 

Even though the SEC West is usually very strong,  every single team in the West has outperformed us since CBB has been here.  That's not a good look no matter how  tough the SEC West has been  lately.
Hogs up! Covid down!

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

FineAsSwine

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 22, 2017, 11:23:42 am
most years the west is loaded with top 25 teams

CBB was aware of that situation when he came here and he felt pretty confident about his ability to compete at that time. So far, we are still not making any headway but that can change this year. At least, I hope so.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 22, 2017, 08:01:11 am

So when are we going to realize that we are a track school followed by probably baseball after that then probably basketball a distant 3rd. We can hope to be a football school, but reality is we haven't done much in football since joining the sec. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 22, 2017, 11:50:09 am
So when are we going to realize that we are a track school followed by probably baseball after that then probably basketball a distant 3rd. We can hope to be a football school, but reality is we haven't done much in football since joining the sec.

Every 6 or 7 years, we rise make a little noise in football then we slide back down to the lower rung of the ladder. Should be due for a chance to throw up a little dust on the gridiron this year or next.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawghiggs

Here's the deal. If AR fans would ever let go of the fact that we'll most likely never compete for an SEC or nat'l championship in football and throw our energy behind basketball, we'd be much better off. It was said on the radio recently the the UofA is a football school, but Arkansas is a basketball state. MUCH more basketball talent in this state, but we're so obsessed with football that basketball suffers.

The potential is there for AR basketball to be very good every single year. But kids just don't see the same passion from fans about the Bball hogs as the do for the football team.

So my answer to the fill in the blank is

Great post.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 22, 2017, 12:42:08 pm
Great post.

The only problem is if Macon and Barford don't return next season, the "Sleeping Giant" could once again fall off of a cliff.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on April 21, 2017, 10:06:11 am
The younger generation (along with a few others) needs to learn to put the "40 minutes of hades" mantra where it belongs which is in the history books because it is indeed History and is never coming back. People need to accept that.
Have you put the Eddie Sutton era in the history books because it is never coming back? Just wondering... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 01:44:04 pm
Have you put the Eddie Sutton era in the history books because it is never coming back? Just wondering... ;)

He will, after he gets through refurbishing and cleaning up the rough edges with his posts on here.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

April 26, 2017, 03:55:06 pm #91 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:22:27 am by hogsanity

Sutton and Nolan are PART of Arkansas basketball history. Without Eddie doing the things he did to build the program, it is unlikely Nolan would have ever been here.

theFlyingHog

Well then get the Germans to bomb it until it wakes the F up!!  :)

GuvHog

Yes I have and I agree with you that it's not coming back either. Those were good times as were the Nolan years bu8t they are gone never to return.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 26, 2017, 03:55:06 pm
Sutton and Nolan are PART of Arkansas basketball history. With Eddie doing the things he did to build the program, it is unlikely Nolan would have ever been here.

Agreed. Eddie built the foundation then Nolan took it to another level.

Dominicanhog

A proud program, recognized by national and conference achievements such as wins, conference titles, rankings, history of great players and teams, Final Fours, Elite 8's and Championships...all of which puts The Razorbacks in the college basketball hierarchy...

If our current trend continues and we make tournaments,  get in the T25 and start having success, even at the Sutton level, which would mean 1 final four, then our recent downturn will quickly be forgotten... it's started.... hopefully it's picking up steam..

If Mike takes us there or not, he'll have resurrected the program.....from where I'm lounging, the future looks pretty bright... :razorback: 8)

MemphisBossHog

well cityhog took the words right out of my mouth.  Ark Basketball is a "sleeping giant."  But it will take the right guy at the helm.  Kentucky can be strong with many different coaches because they are Kentucky, but Arkansas needs the right guy who can somehow get the talent to come to Fayetteville.  Nolan could do it for a while and we all know the results.  Stan Heath and John Pelphery were/are fine coaches and good folks but they just werent the right person.

Mike seems to be turning the corner with his recruiting and after 6 seasons, and I would hope so.  If Mike can continue to upgrade the talent on the roster like it appears he is doing with the next 2 recruiting classes, he might be the right guy to awaken the sleeping giant.  The facilities are in place.  There is great tradition in place.  The fan base has shown in the past what it is capable of.  The fan base can put 15K-18K fannies in the seats IF the product is good and the talent is there.  Its all right there for Mike.  All he has to do is do it.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 10:59:41 am
Arkansas basketball is average.

The Op continues the problems we have with clinging to something that happened over 2 decades ago.

Not bad when "average" had the team that won the National Championship on the ropes and just let it go at the very end. I'll take some more of that "average".
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

WBOBO

Arkansas basketball is pissed off.   
The SEC Championship game defined the makeup of where we are.  It kinda reminds me of Larry Johnson telling Nolan to get some men.
Now they have a chip on their shoulder.  I hope Kentucky comes to the Bud
this next season.
Once we slay the Wildcats it will be all good.  Hopefully it will be a slow bleed.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

hogsanity

Quote from: WBOBO on May 21, 2017, 10:23:00 pm
Arkansas basketball is pissed off.   
The SEC Championship game defined the makeup of where we are.  It kinda reminds me of Larry Johnson telling Nolan to get some men.
Now they have a chip on their shoulder.  I hope Kentucky comes to the Bud
this next season.
Once we slay the Wildcats it will be all good.  Hopefully it will be a slow bleed.

you know the Hogs beat them TWICE just a few seasons ago, the season I think the Cats made the ncaat title game.