Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Hog pitchers in last 10 years

Started by Sho Nuff, April 15, 2017, 01:28:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sho Nuff

TebowHater

Assume you mean in college (otherwise it's unanimously Keuchel), but boy it's hard. We have had so many good ones.

From the big time starters like Keuchel, Smyly, Schmidt, Bolsinger, (and now Knight) to the countless amazing closers we have had.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: TebowHater on April 15, 2017, 01:33:53 pm
Assume you mean in college (otherwise it's unanimously Keuchel), but boy it's hard. We have had so many good ones.

From the big time starters like Keuchel, Smyly, Schmidt, Bolsinger, (and now Knight) to the countless amazing closers we have had.
Yes, simply counting their time as Razorbacks.

Porky McGee

Stanek, Astin, and Suggs. Those 3 were all on the same team.

BossHog12

DJ Bax was so dominant on Fridays for us on that 2012 team.

Porky McGee

Quote from: BossHog12 on April 15, 2017, 01:48:46 pm
DJ Bax was so dominant on Fridays for us on that 2012 team.
i can't believe I left him out. I knew I missed someone.

BigBrandonAllenFan

PigWig

TebowHater

It's a little tough to compare. We have had effectively three different generations of baseball over the past 10 years (Killer bats era; BBCOR era; new baseball seams era).

Smyly was a monster, though, especially pitching in the live-bat era. I think he was like two outs away from a no hitter as freshman!

Iwastherein1969

The pitcher who was best at the UA was Ryne Stanek. The guy was the best 'big game' pitcher in UA history. Professional career hasn't gone as well but that's not the question is it ?  #55 was "MUCH A MAN" when he toed the bump for the Hogs. Oh, and he struck fear in the hearts of Aaron Nola and the LSU Tigers. I remember LSU coach Paul Manieri comment after yet another loss to Stanek. "Well they can't pitch him every game."  That line by the LSU coach says it all.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

SPAL

Friday- Ryne Stanek
Saturday - Baxendale
Sunday - Knight

Long relief -Smyly, Keuchel

Setup- Suggs

Closer Astin

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 15, 2017, 04:45:29 pm
Friday- Ryne Stanek
Saturday - Baxendale
Sunday - Knight

Long relief -Smyly, Keuchel

Setup- Suggs

Closer Astin

No way Baxendale takes Nick Schmidt's spot.  Or has it been longer than 10 years for him?  Jess Todd was a good one also. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

SPAL

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 15, 2017, 06:04:07 pm
No way Baxendale takes Nick Schmidt's spot.  Or has it been longer than 10 years for him?  Jess Todd was a good one also. 

Nick was 06

ThisTeetsTaken

Who was the transfer reliever we had a year or two ago?  Big blonde kid.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

snoblind

It's been over 10 years since Schmidt and Todd were here?  Geez, I'm getting old.

BroyledNutts

SPAL

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 15, 2017, 06:49:51 pm
The '07 team had Schmidt, Todd, and Welker...

Take note.....It doesn't happen often.

I was wrong.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 15, 2017, 06:04:07 pm

Suggs was the man. Miss watching him pitch.

BroyledNutts

Not sure what criteria we're using to grade with, but Keuchel, Forrest, Moore, Sanburn, Beeks, Killian, Oliver, Stone, Jackson, even Knight, should be in the conversation with the others mentioned for top 10 in the last 10 years. They all had their respective short comings and epic games.

True pitching domination is much more rare. Schmidt, Smyly, Jackson, Suggs, and so far Knight are in that category for me for the last 10 years.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 15, 2017, 06:56:47 pm
Take note.....It doesn't happen often.

I was wrong.

And you were right, also ...Schmidt was on the '06 rotation, with others like Boyce and Sibert ...

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 15, 2017, 07:01:25 pm
And you were right, also ...Schmidt was on the '06 rotation, with others like Boyce and Sibert ...
Siebert was a good one.   How about Jay Sawatski?

JonClaudeVanHam

Smyly was ridiculous, as was Stanek. Difficult to say which one I'd go with given the option.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Scott7703

Jay Sawatski has to be mentioned. Schmidt and stanek as well.

bosshog84

Starters would have to be Stanek, Bax, Keuchel, & Smyly. I think Knight will be there at the end of the year, but I'll wait and see. Bullpen is pretty much the entire 2012 bullpen. It was ridiculous who all we could send out there. 

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 15, 2017, 07:58:12 pm
Siebert was a good one.   How about Jay Sawatski?

If we're limiting the selections to the last 10 years then we have to leave him off ... but if we want to go back that far, yeah - he was a good one - Clint Brannon and Boyd Goodner could be added too ...

Kevin

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 15, 2017, 06:59:36 pm
Not sure what criteria we're using to grade with, but Keuchel, Forrest, Moore, Sanburn, Beeks, Killian, Oliver, Stone, Jackson, even Knight, should be in the conversation with the others mentioned for top 10 in the last 10 years. They all had their respective short comings and epic games.

True pitching domination is much more rare. Schmidt, Smyly, Jackson, Suggs, and so far Knight are in that category for me for the last 10 years.

forrest, moore, sanburn, really?

astin was better than all those guys, and he was not dominate.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2017, 10:10:09 am
forrest, moore, sunburn, really?

Sunburn could get really hot.

Kevin

Dr. Starcs

A potential skin cancer in the locker room too.

SPAL

Sunburn could really blister the zone

Kevin

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 16, 2017, 10:35:05 am

I wish he and his brother would have blistered the zone

tennesseehogwild

SPAL

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 16, 2017, 10:35:05 am

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2017, 11:05:13 am
I wish he and his brother would have blistered the zone

The sunburns did have a way to chap my hide.

Kevin

just saw that Nolan has been released

Sho Nuff

You guys remember David Walling?  That guy was a stud in the '99 season!

Hawgvillain

Quote from: TebowHater on April 15, 2017, 01:33:53 pm
Assume you mean in college (otherwise it's unanimously Keuchel).
Uh, Cliff Lee...

bhogs05

I'd have to say Nick Schmidt..he was absolutely dominate is entire time here and it was when the bats were hot. Just check out his stats.

Fr 8-2 2.80 ERA 2 CG 89 SO
So 9-3 3.02 ERA 1 CG 145 SO
JR 11-3 2.69 ERA 5 CG 111 SO

28-8 overall record with under 3.00 ERA is probably one of the best records any starter has ever had for us. 

SPAL

Quote from: Hawgvillain on April 16, 2017, 06:56:57 pm
Uh, Cliff Lee...

I really don't count him as a razorback. Technically, yeah he pitched for us but it was only 1 season and he didn't pitch in many games. In fact, he really wasn't that good. I guess anybody that wore the uniform is considered part of the family....But Dallas is more of a razorback than Lee was. At least in my opinion. And Lee was well over the 10 year threshold.

*I am a braves fan so I could be a tad biased towards Lee.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Kevin on April 16, 2017, 10:10:09 am
forrest, moore, sanburn, really?

Yes, Astin should be on the list also ... somehow I overlooked him. All the guys I mentioned could be given consideration, but the selection is dependent on the specific criteria used to determine the top 10.

Iwastherein1969

Stanek won the big games...he put us on his back his last year here and carried the team to Omaha...at Rice (when they were really good) and he also beat Nola at LSU, he beat USCjr at Omaha...I mean, good lord, the games don't get bigger than that
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 17, 2017, 05:41:46 pm
Stanek won the big games...he put us on his back his last year here and carried the team to Omaha...at Rice (when they were really good) and he also beat Nola at LSU, he beat USCjr at Omaha...I mean, good lord, the games don't get bigger than that
Remember the Baylor Super Regional?   We won game 3 1-0.  I don't know if I've ever been that stressed before haha.

Kevin

As a freshman he stuck it to Charlotte in Arizona

Hawgvillain

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 16, 2017, 10:30:55 pm
I really don't count him as a razorback. Technically, yeah he pitched for us but it was only 1 season and he didn't pitch in many games. In fact, he really wasn't that good. I guess anybody that wore the uniform is considered part of the family....But Dallas is more of a razorback than Lee was. At least in my opinion. And Lee was well over the 10 year threshold.

*I am a braves fan so I could be a tad biased towards Lee.
I was responding to the beginning of his comment where he said Dallas was the best pro Razorback over the last 10 years.

HogFoo

Lots and lots of good ones.  I just wish we had about 2or 3 of those guys on this year's team.  (And who knows, maybe some of the frosh will eventually be that good.)  If we had just 2 or3  of these guys mentioned, we'd probably be a world series championship game contender.   that seems to be our only shortcoming is relief pitching.  And of course the recent late inning errors.  grrrrr..

I liked Stanek, astin, bolsinger,  Keuchel was good, but nothing like his major league persona is.    Knight will be on this list at end of season. He is greatness.  Bax was great, Smyly was good.  Man, we've had such a long list of great pitchers over the years.  It just seems we cant quite get a team full of great pitchers and hitters.   That year we got screwed in the S.Carolina game in the world series.  Stanek was cheated, the ump had  astrike zone on stanek probably the size of a quarter!  That team was probably our best.  I really thought we were gonna play for and possibly win the championship that year.  But,  we didn't .   oh well, if we can keep getting quality pitchers like we have in the past to go along with our Soooieeville sluggers.  We'll win a few in a  row.  I really believe that once we have that breakthrough year, we'll have a streak, possibly win 2 in a row and play for a 3rd something similar to what S.carolina did a few years ago.   Maybe we'll even have a player so fast that the announcers will talk about it all series long how he can throw a ball from center field and then catch it at home plate himself!  haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: snoblind on April 15, 2017, 06:37:30 pm
It's been over 10 years since Schmidt and Todd were here?  Geez, I'm getting old.

You're not old. I can remember when all we had to do was beat Cal State Fullerton in one game to win the CWS.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

southarkhog06

I gotta go Smyly then Stanek then Knight.

All 3 of these guys were basically guarantees' that you would never get swept on the weekend. I give Smyly the nod because he did it in the Trampoline bat era, when LSU just borrowed strong dudes from the football team and spent all there scholly money on pitchers. I give Stanek the nod over Knight because we weren't exactly an offensive powerhouse when he pitched.

dotnet

Quote from: bhogs05 on April 16, 2017, 09:40:04 pm
I'd have to say Nick Schmidt..he was absolutely dominate is entire time here and it was when the bats were hot. Just check out his stats.

Fr 8-2 2.80 ERA 2 CG 89 SO
So 9-3 3.02 ERA 1 CG 145 SO
JR 11-3 2.69 ERA 5 CG 111 SO

28-8 overall record with under 3.00 ERA is probably one of the best records any starter has ever had for us. 

I would agree with this.  He is the winner for me if you can still give him the ten year window. 

I think my short list is Stanek, Nick, Astin, and Smyly. 

A reliever like Suggs just can't be on the list due to value constraints to me. Astin is different because he started one year, and he came in during the highest leverage situations possible and almost always got out of the jam.  It was unbelievable. 

I wouldn't complain if you added Jackson and Keuchel due to the fact that for one month they were each the best pitcher in college baseball and basically carried Arkansas to (and almost through) the CWS. 

other guys mentioned aren't on my list due to having a down year that hurts the overall...

dotnet

And I could be wrong, but I think Gunn was better than Suggs.  And Gunn could hit...

dotnet

And Knight is lower than Baxendale, Killian, etc by far.  He has barely been through half an SEC season.  But based on projection/hope... I too hope he will soon be on everyone's list.