Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UALR football?

Started by Ironhawg, April 12, 2017, 08:27:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

I was traveling in central Arkansas yesterday and heard a couple of different discussions about the possibility of a football program at UALR playing in WMS.  The first segment was on some morning show.  All I heard was some guy saying he was a former Razorback season ticket holder and that if UALR gets a football team he will buy season tickets and that they will be bringing in all these P5 opponents unlike Arkansas.  The second segment was on Bo's show. Apparently the mayor in Little Rock, the board of WMS and the Democrat - Gazette have all aligned against the Hogs.  I was surprised to see no discussion here.
What does the board think?  Does it happen?  If it does, does it hurt the Hogs?

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogcard1964

M ake
A rkansas
G reat
A gain

Big win for Arkansas if it can happen.

yraciv

So there have been 5 programs to startup like this in the last 10 years, South Alabama, Charlotte, UTSA, Georgia State, and Old Dominion. It takes roughly 2 to 3 years of FCS ball before you transition into FBS ball where ultimately the ceiling for UALR would be Sun Belt. Given the right coach and resources I could see UALR becoming a South Alabama, maybe bowl competitive in 5 years, but just like we don't lose recruits to Arkansas State, it wouldn't happen with UALR.

UCA and UAPB are the schools who should be worried about this.

NWAHog479

They fill the Stephens Center 1 time a year when Arkansas State brings their entire redneck fanbase to watch the basketball games, how are they going to fill War Memorial? Little Rock couldn't even sell out a few years ago when the Hogs played Georgia there...

Hawgndaaz

It sounds good on paper til Title IX comes around and you have to start a bunch of bogus womens' programs that will drain the coffers overnight.

Seebs

If they can somehow move the university and the games out of Little Rock it would help. Redfield perhaps?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 12, 2017, 09:53:35 am
Impressive avatar!

;)

I am lucky enough that my wife and my girlfriend are friends.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: rhames on April 12, 2017, 09:59:08 am

What do your hands have to do with your avatar?

hogcard1964

LOL!!!

Ironhawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 12, 2017, 10:00:34 am

You owe me a computer screen.  I just spit coffee all over mine.

DeltaBoy

It will take the UA Board and the State Legislature to make this happen.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

factchecker

April 12, 2017, 11:22:49 am #13 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:07:21 pm by factchecker
How would they fund it?

UALR's athletic department is heavily funded by subsidies (taxes, institutional support, and student fees).  Over 65% of their financing come from subsidies.  66% of the subsidies is stolen from students via mandatory athletic fees.

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/projects/ncaa/subsidy-scorecards/university-of-arkansas-at-little-rock

In 2015 they received $365,718 from ticket sales.  The bulk of their money was made from student fees ($3,655,736) and institutional support ($2,753,793).

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Are they simply going to force the students and tax payers to fund the athletic department more?

We hear people bitch and moan about the spending of the self-sufficient (no taxes and no student fees) Razorbacks..... will people not do the same for UALR?

Overall, I would love UALR to have a program.  It would give the war memorial fans something to do on the weekends.  Which brings to mind-  IF UALR plays in WMS will they be charged a fee like the Razorbacks are?  I think it would be complete horsecrap if the trojans get to play for free in WMS when the Razorbacks are forced to prop up that dump while being charged a fee.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhames

I'm surprised you are able to type with yours.

Stephen Greene

Stephen Greene

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 12, 2017, 08:27:55 am
I was traveling in central Arkansas yesterday and heard a couple of different discussions about the possibility of a football program at UALR playing in WMS.  The first segment was on some morning show.  All I heard was some guy saying he was a former Razorback season ticket holder and that if UALR gets a football team he will buy season tickets and that they will be bringing in all these P5 opponents unlike Arkansas.  The second segment was on Bo's show. Apparently the mayor in Little Rock, the board of WMS and the Democrat - Gazette have all aligned against the Hogs.  I was surprised to see no discussion here.

Warren Simpson and Chris Bequette would not be included in that group - probably others

gchamblee

hogsanity

yea, but how do they feel about you looking at the two women in your avatar?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bennyl08

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 12, 2017, 08:27:55 am

Ummm, what? Small schools like they would be are not known for being able to get P5 schools to come to them. It maybe happens like once a season, typically from a school that had a late scheduling problem to fix, and they school that gets the home and home is a relatively successful one at the FBS level.

They'd have to rise up, beat Arkansas State in prestige factor and even then, ASU gets a P5 to come there once, maybe twice a decade?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tusks

It would be awesome.  After everyone is drunk on the golf course you can have gun fights for condoms before heading into the stadium.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DeltaBoy

We tryed to get football started at UALR back in 1987-88 and we were told by Dr James Young that when Little Rock Jr College asked to come into the UA system Coach Frank Broyles said the Hogs could not compete with another football program in Central Ark so LRU had to drop Football before they would be allowed in.  It cost so much to do it today I just don't think they really want to spent the money.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Ironhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 12, 2017, 01:29:57 pm
We tryed to get football started at UALR back in 1987-88 and we were told by Dr James Young that when Little Rock Jr College asked to come into the UA system Coach Frank Broyles said the Hogs could not compete with another football program in Central Ark so LRU had to drop Football before they would be allowed in.  It cost so much to do it today I just don't think they really want to spent the money.

Bo was talking to somebody on his show who estimate it would cost $15-20 million to start a football program at UALR.  I didn't hear, but I don't think that total included the amount required to start the women's sports programs they would have to have to be Title IX compliant.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: rhames on April 12, 2017, 08:38:52 am
Lol. No
Why, exactly, would that be laugh worthy?  Why would it be any more far-fetched for UALR to have a football program than it is for UCA or ASU or ATU to have a football program.

311Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 12, 2017, 02:19:36 pm
Why, exactly, would that be laugh worthy?  Why would it be any more far-fetched for UALR to have a football program than it is for UCA or ASU or ATU to have a football program.

because those schools already have one.

redleg

It should happen, and if the people of Central Arkansas, to include the Stephens family, can pull together, it will happen. A great many Razorback fans in Central and South Arkansas are not happy that the Hogs are most likely going to stop playing in Little Rock after the 2018 season.
I understand the logistic and financial burden placed on the UA when they play at WMS.
1. a 3+ hour bus ride one way.
2. Paying for the team, coaches, staff, band, cheerleaders to stay a night in a hotel.
3. Not getting any of the WMS concession money.
4. WMS currently seats 18,000 less people than DWRRS, and if it is a weak non-SEC opponent, it probably won't be a sell out.
I get it!
But that doesn't mean it will make things any easier for Razorback fans that live in Central Arkansas or further south and further east. UALR is a division I program, albeit in the Sun Belt Conference. But Pulaski County would support a Trojans football team. The prospects of a Trojans vs Red Wolves football game at WMS every other year is tantalizing to say the least. Chances are, Little Rock would play UCA every year as well. I could also see a series with Memphis being signed, or maybe even Ole Miss.
The point is, most football fans in Central Arkansas don't have the money to drive 3 hours to Fayetteville, pay $60 or more for a Razorback ticket, then drive back or stay a night in a hotel/motel. It's much cheaper to drive 15 minutes (or less) to an hour to The Rock, buy a Trojans ticket, then drive home. If A-State ticket prices are any indication, Trojans tickets could be had for as little as $15 upwards of $40, depending on the opponent.
IF...it does happen, the impact on the Hogs won't be immediate. But eventually, as the University of Little Rock and the athletics program grows, there will be fewer and fewer fans paying to see the Razorbacks, and more and more fans in the Central and Southern parts of the state paying to see the Trojans. A couple of decades from now, when someone looks at a college football map, might look like this...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1380877191973526&set=pcb.1380877235306855&type=3&theater
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: redleg on April 12, 2017, 02:26:19 pm
It should happen, and if the people of Central Arkansas, to include the Stephens family, can pull together, it will happen. A great many Razorback fans in Central and South Arkansas are not happy that the Hogs are most likely going to stop playing in Little Rock after the 2018 season.
I understand the logistic and financial burden placed on the UA when they play at WMS.
2. Paying for the team, coaches, staff, band, cheerleaders to stay a night in a hotel.
4. WMS currently seats 18,000 less people than DWRRS, and if it is a weak non-SEC opponent, it probably won't be a sell out.
I get it!
But that doesn't mean it will make things any easier for Razorback fans that live in Central Arkansas or further south and further east. UALR is a division I program, albeit in the Sun Belt Conference. But Pulaski County would support a Trojans football team. The prospects of a Trojans vs Red Wolves football game at WMS every other year is tantalizing to say the least. Chances are, Little Rock would play UCA every year as well. I could also see a series with Memphis being signed, or maybe even Ole Miss.
The point is, most football fans in Central Arkansas don't have the money to drive 3 hours to Fayetteville, pay $60 or more for a Razorback ticket, then drive back or stay a night in a hotel/motel. It's much cheaper to drive 15 minutes (or less) to an hour to The Rock, buy a Trojans ticket, then drive home. If A-State ticket prices are any indication, Trojans tickets could be had for as little as $15 upwards of $40, depending on the opponent.
IF...it does happen, the impact on the Hogs won't be immediate. But eventually, as the University of Little Rock and the athletics program grows, there will be fewer and fewer fans paying to see the Razorbacks, and more and more fans in the Central and Southern parts of the state paying to see the Trojans. A couple of decades from now, when someone looks at a college football map, might look like this...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1380877191973526&set=pcb.1380877235306855&type=3&theater

The Political climate is better for this kind of change.  I would love to see Trojan Football.

311Hog

eventually will be a really long time.  I mean it hasn't happened yet for all the other schools in the state playing football and how long has that "eventually" been going?

You can't just roll out of bed and decide you wanna play D1 football.

redleg

Why not? A number of schools have done it over the past 20 years.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 311Hog on April 12, 2017, 02:22:32 pm
because those schools already have one.
So everything that's ever going to happen, has already happened?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: redleg on April 12, 2017, 02:33:40 pm
Why not? A number of schools have done it over the past 20 years.
:razorback:

Yep Hendrix the last one instate I know of.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 311Hog on April 12, 2017, 02:30:09 pm
eventually will be a really long time.  I mean it hasn't happened yet for all the other schools in the state playing football and how long has that "eventually" been going?

You can't just roll out of bed and decide you wanna play D1 football.
I've read through the thread again and don't see where anyone mentioned DI football.  Very doubtful that they would start a program as a DI.  You probably couldn't (NCAA wise) even if you wanted to.

hogsanity

I get it!

Usually you can get Hog tickets for $20 or less too. Plus, does anyone just start out as D1 and in a conference? Wouldn't it be more likely they would be fcs for a number of years, then a provisional d1 program, then a full d1 member. Maybe take a decade to get all that done.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 12, 2017, 02:34:50 pm
So everything that's ever going to happen, has already happened?

Umm no, but you asked why it was funny.  It is funny because those schools have spent years as in more than 1, more specifically decades building the program and it is pains taking, also UCA isn't part of the UA system as far as i know so they can and have done it on their own.  UALR has a problem in that it is basically part of a "conference" the UA system and i doubt the system would be eager to do anything that not only will cost 10's of millions of dollars just in start up costs etc. alone, but would take years to provide any meaningful return (if) it ever does. 

And lets say for arguments sake UALR does start a football team and works it's way up to D1 with ASU, UCA.  Then what? UA is the bread winner the bell cow for the state. Do you think the system wants to do something that would harm the bell cow?

311Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 12, 2017, 02:37:28 pm
I've read through the thread again and don't see where anyone mentioned DI football.  Very doubtful that they would start a program as a DI.  You probably couldn't (NCAA wise) even if you wanted to.

Well that facebook link Redleg posted right below your post is to a picture that shows the state divided up 3 ways NWA -Hogs, NEA - ASU, and the entire southern half UALR.  And others have mentioned it as a potential "rival" of the Hogs IE take fans away in several posts in this thread.

This thread wasn't made so discuss the possibility of UALR playing Henderson State.

ricepig

UALR isn't going to start football, they won't be able to find enough money. I guess they could possibly go D-II or D-III, even that would cost millions. Big money people don't see the bang for their buck at that level, and I don't think the students would stand for the increased fees necessary to get to that level.

bennyl08

I get it!

Portland State doesn't hurt attendance at Eugene or Corvallis, both schools are almost as far from the main population center of Portland as Fayetteville is from LR. About a 2 hr drive vs a 2:30 drive one way. Baton Rouge is 1:30 away from New Orleans. Athens is 1:50, Columbia Mo is 2 hours from Stl, and 1:50 from KC. College station is 2:45 from Dallas and 1:30 from Houston. Knoxville is 2:45 from Nashville.

No other SEC school that I'm aware of has a 2nd stadium in the population center for the fans to get to. We are already the 21st most visited stadium for college football, filling ours up as well as anybody else. As far as poverty goes, we're better off than many of our other SEC brethren. If a 1:30 drive is fine to make but a 2:30 drive is too much, then you are on the verge of shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rhames

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 12, 2017, 02:19:36 pm

Because money.

lstewart

I think this all started from a UALR student group collecting 1,000 signatures saying they would like the school to consider starting a football program. So that is a long ways from actually taking the steps to fund a program, work everything out, etc. Assuming UALR could come up with the money (big if), they probably are looking at a long term best case scenario of having a program at the level of ASU. Same conference, so probably the same positives and negatives. 20 years from now UALR would be playing basically the same conference schools they and ASU play in basketball, and probably going on the road a couple of times per year to play top 25 type programs. Nothing wrong with any of this, and it would give student athletes another college football option. UALR would probably land a few players the Hogs offered walk on spots to, and every once in a while a player the hogs offered a scholarship. It could cost the hogs some funding, if big central Arkansas donors decided to give their money to UALR football. But it not likely UALR could go from no program, with a campus that has trouble funding their current athletic programs, to a level that would hurt the hogs in recruiting, or in fan interest. UCA has some good teams and fan support. Same for ATU, UAPB, HSU, ASU, etc. From a recruiting standpoint, UALR probably would hurt some of those programs, as it would be another program seeking the services from the same pool of players. If it can be worked out financially, I'm all for it. But it is not likely they are play football at much higher a level, or with much more fan support than they have in the other sports they currently offer.

yraciv

I get it!

That map is laughable. Other than the town of Jonesboro right now it's all Hogs #1, and it will always stay that way. Some might choose to go the cheaper route and go to Trojan games, but the far majority will still see Hogs as #1.  Even State which has been pretty strong for the last 5 years at a Midmajor level has put very little dent in Razorback's dominance over state. UALR doing so from scratch is unforeseeable and laughable.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'd go watch 'em play if they brought back Wimp Sanderson to coach the team.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HamSammich

It would be awesome. I'd go to two games a year if it happens. This is pretty exciting news. More scholarships for central Arkansas kids. Too cool

ImHogginIt

I get it!

So you think they can run a football program funded mostly by fans that can't afford to go 2 1/2 hrs to Fayetteville ?  :D ;D :D

swinesation

That is frickin genius and hilarious

phadedhawg

If the two population centers in Arkansas continue to grow I guess it could happen.  The person who made the comment about Title IX was dead on.  Adding football costs a lot more than the added cost of the team. 

I would love if the Razorbacks had a men's soccer team but then we'd have to add another big program for the ladies.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 12, 2017, 09:38:33 am
It sounds good on paper til Title IX comes around and you have to start a bunch of bogus womens' programs that will drain the coffers overnight.

Aw yes someone actually knows a little about college sports, what they must do and the reality of money.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

A couple of decades from now, when someone looks at a college football map, might look like this...

Yeah..... not likely.

jonesboro has been DI for a while now and they are pretty successful in their league.  This has impacted the Hogs NONE.

Want proof? Here is a map of fans broken down by county:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html

Click on the map.  Zoom in on Arkansas.  Then zoom into wherever you want.  Even around "red pup country" the majority of fans are Razorbacks.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I get it!

You forgot one.

THE RAZORBACKS PAY WMS TO PLAY THERE!!!!!! We pay a fee to play at War Memorial Stadium.  Which is [CENSORED] stupid.  If anything the Razorbacks should be paid to play in Little Rock.

UALR better be charged the same fee to play there.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on April 12, 2017, 06:01:22 pm
Yeah..... not likely.

jonesboro has been DI for a while now and they are pretty successful in their league.  This has impacted the Hogs NONE.

Want proof? Here is a map of fans broken down by county:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html

Click on the map.  Zoom in on Arkansas.  Then zoom into wherever you want.  Even around "red pup country" the majority of fans are Razorbacks.

I've lived and worked in Jonesboro. I assure you the majority of fans there are Hog fans. There are some devoted wolf fans. And there are some that are both.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike_e

You guys are missing something here.

Say UALR does start a football program.  Where do they get their players?

Unless they get heavily invested in getting the HS programs in Pulaski county back up to speed they aren't going anywhere.

PC gets going again and starts producing several high D1 type players along with their usual numbers, where do you suppose the best of them go?

This could be a very good thing if handled right.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!