Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 walk on

Started by skinnypig, April 08, 2017, 07:05:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypig

Tweet from Kevin McPherson

Hogs might be in line for a quality walk-on w/'17 class that is certain to excite the fanbase if it happens! Keepin details on the low 4 now

He is at the game in Memphis today

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: skinnypig on April 08, 2017, 07:05:17 pm
Tweet from Kevin McPherson

Hogs might be in line for a quality walk-on w/'17 class that is certain to excite the fanbase if it happens! Keepin details on the low 4 now

He is at the game in Memphis today

One Lawson pays his own way for a year while the other gets a schollie is my hope. 

ADavisTheGOAT

It has to be the Lawson brothers right?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

FineAsSwine

Basketball recruiting excitement is high! So many good possibilities.

azhog10

Would love it if it's the SCA kid. He's a very nice looking wing prospect.

skinnypig

Want to clarify I meant. Kevin McPherson is at the game in Memphis and not the potential walk on

azhog10

Brewer kid from Northside?

Swinesong1

I'm guessing Avery Benson

Hawg Red

Benson would be a sensational walk-on.

rzrbackramsfan

Javon Franklin would be sweet. 

KenHawg2023

What's the scoop on the Benson kid? If that turned out to be right?

The Lawsons would be my first choice but I'm open to anyone if they can compete at some point.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2017, 09:09:29 pm
Benson would be a sensational walk-on.

Wonder where that would leave Glasper?

labb

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 08, 2017, 10:29:01 pm
Wonder where that would leave Glasper?

I don't see a conflict.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

King Kong

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 08, 2017, 07:33:14 pm
It has to be the Lawson brothers right?

Yeah they ain't walking on anywhere

The_Iceman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 08, 2017, 09:13:24 pm
Javon Franklin would be sweet.

New article from RD says he wants to be a Hog after Juco.

hogwood

Yeah I'd really doubt that. Unless they just really want to play for us. But my guess is it's an in-state kid. I hope we still use a scholly on one of these prospects though.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on April 09, 2017, 08:02:27 am
Yeah I'd really doubt that. Unless they just really want to play for us. But my guess is it's an in-state kid. I hope we still use a scholly on one of these prospects though.
My guess would we not have to hire Dad to get the boys?

SSFrazorback

Would Chase Hayden be considered a walk-on?

jjdlc

Quote from: SSFrazorback on April 09, 2017, 09:43:58 am
Would Chase Hayden be considered a walk-on?

No, doesn't work that way.

tophawg19

Conner Vanover ? it would fill a position of need , giving us a few minutes a game and another big for practice purposes . great get for situational minutes during games if it cost us nothing , so much the better
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

reddawg213

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2017, 10:34:37 pm
I don't see a conflict.

The conflict is money. The kid is paying out of pocket in a program that doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in giving him financial support anytime in the foreseeable future. With so many guards on the roster and coming in next year, another PG being actively recruited this year, and another walk on to fight for a scholarship against in a program he was already looking at very limited mins to begin with, don't be so surprised if he transfers to a lower tier school. What does he gain taking out student loans to be a bench warmer. Might be smarter for him to go to a lower tier school, actually have a solid chance of getting quality minutes and get a free education. If he plays well, he could always come back as a graduate transfer assuming he graduates in 3 years.

elvis26

;D I think it s avery benson!!!!!! that would be a awesome walk-on.

skinnypig

April 09, 2017, 11:56:25 am #24 Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:21:57 pm by skinnypig
Quote from: tophawg19 on April 09, 2017, 10:06:30 am
Conner Vanover ? it would fill a position of need , giving us a few minutes a game and another big for practice purposes . great get for situational minutes during games if it cost us nothing , so much the better

Vanover is in the '18 class

skinnypig

Kevin McPherson tweet this morning

.@javonhooping still hopes to be a Hog. Took his ACT at Central HS Sat morning B4 going to Memphis, & CMA + Coach Watkins visited him Wed

Rawker

Quote from: skinnypig on April 09, 2017, 12:02:01 pm
Kevin McPherson tweet this morning

.@javonhooping still hopes to be a Hog. Took his ACT at Central HS Sat morning B4 going to Memphis, & CMA + Coach Watkins visited him Wed

That's some nice news.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rawker on April 09, 2017, 12:20:09 pm
That's some nice news.

So if Javon gets eligible, we take him over any of the other 2017 possibilities including those at point guard?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 09, 2017, 12:22:16 pm
So if Javon gets eligible, we take him over any of the other 2017 possibilities including those at point guard?

I'd imagine and fingers crossed on Javons act score!! You think that's the only thing holding him back?  And what does he need, a 19?

Hawg Red

Quote from: reddawg213 on April 09, 2017, 10:13:00 am
The conflict is money. The kid is paying out of pocket in a program that doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in giving him financial support anytime in the foreseeable future. With so many guards on the roster and coming in next year, another PG being actively recruited this year, and another walk on to fight for a scholarship against in a program he was already looking at very limited mins to begin with, don't be so surprised if he transfers to a lower tier school. What does he gain taking out student loans to be a bench warmer. Might be smarter for him to go to a lower tier school, actually have a solid chance of getting quality minutes and get a free education. If he plays well, he could always come back as a graduate transfer assuming he graduates in 3 years.

I don't presume to know his family's financial situation, so I don't know exactly how his education is being paid for. I'm also not surprised when any player that isn't playing transfers, but Glasper and Benson play different positions. If we don't sign a PG, I don't know why Glasper would transfer. He'd still have a good shot at earning a scholarship possibly. Maybe the kid just wants to be a Hog. He still hasn't had a chance to earn minutes because of his shoulder injury.

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2017, 03:32:48 pm
I don't presume to know his family's financial situation, so I don't know exactly how his education is being paid for. I'm also not surprised when any player that isn't playing transfers, but Glasper and Benson play different positions. If we don't sign a PG, I don't know why Glasper would transfer. He'd still have a good shot at earning a scholarship possibly. Maybe the kid just wants to be a Hog. He still hasn't had a chance to earn minutes because of his shoulder injury.

I thought Glasper ended up with some kind of academic scholarship?

And if you have 13 schollies filled, how many walk-ons are you allowed?

reddawg213

Quote from: hogwood on April 09, 2017, 09:22:14 pm
I thought Glasper ended up with some kind of academic scholarship?

And if you have 13 schollies filled, how many walk-ons are you allowed?

Glasper had a little outside aid I think but that's it. A relative of his said he had to pay the last semester pretty much on his own. Assuming that is true (and I have every reason to believe it is) financially it may make more sense for him to go elsewhere instead of taking on debt to play here. That could honestly be 10k+ a year without any real guarantee of a scholarship.

Not saying I want him to leave but I wouldn't be mad at the kid for doing what he needs to do if push comes to shove.

#1 STUNNA

Would love for it to be Brewer from Northside

niels_boar

Javon Franklin, please.  I thought Theo Pinson was a key to UNC's run.  He's an athletic 6'6'' SF that could guard the best perimeter player on the opposing team, rebounds at both ends, and handles well.  He was a significant cog in the machine without even being much of a scorer.  Franklin athletically looks to be in the same mold, though I know nothing about his game.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Hawg Red

Quote from: niels_boar on April 10, 2017, 12:36:10 pm
Javon Franklin, please.  I thought Theo Pinson was a key to UNC's run.  He's an athletic 6'6'' SF that could guard the best perimeter player on the opposing team, rebounds at both ends, and handles well.  He was a significant cog in the machine without even being much of a scorer.  Franklin athletically looks to be in the same mold, though I know nothing about his game.

If Javon Franklin gets eligible, he'll be on scholarship.

Kevin McPherson

HardingHog

Quote from: niels_boar on April 10, 2017, 12:36:10 pm

http://247sports.com/Player/Theo-Pinson-11863?PlayerInstitution=30077

No offense to Franklin, but he's nowhere near Theo Pinson level. Pinson was a 6'6 2 guard for UNC. Franklin is a 6'6 PF/C

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HardingHog on April 12, 2017, 07:45:00 pm

No offense to Franklin, but he's nowhere near Theo Pinson level. Pinson was a 6'6 2 guard for UNC. Franklin is a 6'6 PF/C

Have you seen Pinson shoot? He is sub 40% from the field, sub 24% from 3 and is not blessed with good handles while officially listed as a G/F.

HS positions aren't gospel. US Reed was a center in high school. I watched Zaire Smith's videos and he pretty much is used as a center.

Franklin could easily defend at least 3 spots and probably 4 right now.

It's actually a pretty good comparison except that Franklin is way more athletic than Pinson.

Rawker

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 12, 2017, 11:14:37 pm
Have you seen Pinson shoot? He is sub 40% from the field, sub 24% from 3 and is not blessed with good handles while officially listed as a G/F.

HS positions aren't gospel. US Reed was a center in high school. I watched Zaire Smith's videos and he pretty much is used as a center.

Franklin could easily defend at least 3 spots and probably 4 right now.

It's actually a pretty good comparison except that Franklin is way more athletic than Pinson.

People can comb over the semantics all they want....Franklin would be a great addition to the team no matter where he is on the court.

The Hogfather

Would love to have Franklin on the team.  I don't know anything about Benson.  Also, what about Mladen Armus?

navyhog24

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 13, 2017, 11:51:06 am
Would love to have Franklin on the team.

No kidding. The kid is just too athletic and oozes too much potential to pass up. You have to find a way to add him. Even if he is 4 year project, he can be better than Michael Qualls in time. He has the athletic ability to do so.

niels_boar

Quote from: HardingHog on April 12, 2017, 07:45:00 pm

Pinson was basically a bigger, more athletic version of Manny Watkins.  In fact, they had the same strengths and weaknesses.  Pinson scored at a lower rate than Watkins and with lower FG percentages except at the line. That despite UNC doing a lot more in transition than we did.  As a 2G, Pinson contributed less than a trey every other game, about what Watkins did once he started shooting them.  He's a career 27% from the arc.  Like Watkins his most consistent contribution on O was passing.  He gets assists at a PG rate.  The reason Pinson was in the game, though, was to lock down the other team's best perimeter scorer, same as Watkins.  Pinson looked so much like Darrell Walker moving around the court that it made me nostalgic.

As I said, I don't know anything about Franklin's game.  I wouldn't hold out much hope that he could pass as well as Pinson.  However, he has the same physical measurables to potentially defend like Pinson, and we need to get better on defense, especially on the wing.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

#1 STUNNA

Franklin is the most athletic basketball player in the state.. proably including all the universities.

rzrbackramsfan

I love that I got us taking about Franklin but if he qualifies, he's getting a scholarship is imagjne.

Rawker

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 13, 2017, 08:15:23 pm
I love that I got us taking about Franklin but if he qualifies, he's getting a scholarship is imagjne.

Yes - this was lost in the "walk on" thread.  Franklin may have to go JUCO, but he ain't walking on anywhere.  Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

NWAHog479

If Franklin has taken the ACT again, I'd like to know if Czar Perry has as well...

CDBHawg

FineAsSwine

Kevin McPherson

I'm a huge Czar Perry fan. As it was becoming more and more clear the he was going to qualify, he was very interested in walking on at Arkansas (remember the 2 ambiguous tweets that got their own thread here?). However, he was also starting to generate mid- and high-major interest as a result of the likelihood of qualifying. But, it is so late in the game that the number of options simply weren't there for him. Thus, he decided to go to prep school and give himself a full year to get more high-major interest, and hopefully offers. He's betting on himself, and I think this could end up being very good for him. And if not, then worse-case is he'll still have all options on the table in a year that he has now.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/857267363837771776

batmanfan

That would have been nice!
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.