Official 2017 Masters Thread

Started by Hawgndaaz, April 06, 2017, 09:09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgndaaz

For tourney discussion only.

-no Tiger arguments
-no Bernhard mentions unless he's top 15
-no one cares about perry Maxwell

Players are off, and its windy as hell. Dustin Johnson may or may not play.

Have fun.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 06, 2017, 09:27:28 am
It would be fun to see a difficult four days of weather conditions for a change as in recent years, the weather has been pretty good for most of the the rounds. 

looks like it will be windy all day, which should dry everything out. greens are really soft at the moment. announcer just said 40 mph gusts expected later on.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HognitiveDissonance

Let's see...Jordan Spieth coulda/shoulda won in 2014, did win in 2015, and had a five-shot lead on the back nine on Sunday last year.

Looks to me like this guy really knows how to play this golf course. Being one of the best putters helps a lot at Augusta, of course.

So I'm going with Spieth.

RagingHawgOn

I like Spieth and Justin Thomas, especially if DJ withdraws.

Looks like the weather will be fantastic the last three days. Should be fun to watch.

Hawgndaaz

12 is such a damn hard hole. ZJ was just staring at the flagstick and it wasn't moving at all, looks over at 11 flag and its blowing away.

zane

DJ apparently going to give it a go.
RIP LSUfan

zane

Aaannnnd DJ is withdrawing

Hate it for him
RIP LSUfan

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

I guess I'll pull for Rory and Ricky. Maybe Tiger or Bernhard.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 06, 2017, 01:10:12 pm
I guess I'll pull for Rory and Ricky. Maybe Tiger or Bernhard.

Yeah, Phil and Freddie now.

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on April 06, 2017, 01:34:45 pm
Yeah, Phil and Freddie now.

I'd love for both of them to be in contention on Sunday, but at that point I'd be all in for Boom Boom, and I love Phil.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

I see Dufner gave up diet and gym.

Go away, batin'

ricepig

Well, Charlie Hoffman made it look like he was playing a different course. I still can't get used to him with out his Billy Ray Cyrus hairdo of past years.

Boarcephus

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 06, 2017, 02:32:59 pm
I see Dufner gave up diet and gym.

Saw that!  Starting to look like the Dufner of old.  I was on the road all day, went to Shreveport to buy oysters, Spieth was +3.  For those who watched, how did he play?  I got back in time to see Rory on the back 9 and he must have scrambled his ass off.  Hoffman won't match what he did today. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 06, 2017, 09:31:21 am
looks like it will be windy all day, which should dry everything out. greens are really soft at the moment. announcer just said 40 mph gusts expected later on.

It was pretty darn windy yesterday at Cypress Creek. At one point we had a gust or two that I know had to be 40+ mph. It would be fun to watch the pros have to deal with that.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 06, 2017, 07:30:02 pm
Saw that!  Starting to look like the Dufner of old.  I was on the road all day, went to Shreveport to buy oysters, Spieth was +3.  For those who watched, how did he play?  I got back in time to see Rory on the back 9 and he must have scrambled his ass off.  Hoffman won't match what he did today. 

He actually played well, except for the disaster on 15.

3rd shot went in the drink, then 3 putted after a bad chip. Birdied 16 right after. The guy has a short memory but seems to let a bad shot linger til the hole is over.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 07, 2017, 09:10:23 am
He actually played well, except for the disaster on 15.

3rd shot went in the drink, then 3 putted after a bad chip. Birdied 16 right after. The guy has a short memory but seems to let a bad shot linger til the hole is over.

Watching on tv this am and saw where he made a 9 but didn't know how.  Thanks. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Hoffman playing more like Abbie,  than Charlie right now.

cosmodrum

Surprise, Sergio is tied for the lead.

Any wagers on when the implosion starts?
Go away, batin'

Boarcephus

onebadrubi

I wish I was good with memes. It's a great time for one that says when couples destroys your German man crush Langer. It must be because they flipped the nines in 19diggity two

cosmodrum

Great leaderboard going into the weekend. Ricky, Boom Boom, Phil, Sergio, Rose, Ryan Moore, Rory, Spieth, Kuchar...

Go away, batin'

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 07, 2017, 07:40:52 pm
I wish I was good with memes. It's a great time for one that says when couples destroys your German man crush Langer. It must be because they flipped the nines in 19diggity two

Langer   

2 Masters wins  (1985 and 1993)

104 wins as a professional  (for perspective, Jack Nicklaus had 120 wins as a professional)

7 Major Championships on the Champions Tour  (2nd only to Jack Nicklaus' 8 Majors)

Jack Nicklaus Trophy (Champions Tour Player of the Year)   2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016

Arnold Palmer Award (Champions Tour Money List Winner)   2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Byron Nelson Award (Champions Tour Lowest Scoring Average)   2008, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016

Charles Schwab Cup Winner   2010, 2014, 2015, 2016

Couples

1 Masters win (1992)

64 wins as a professional

2 Major Championships on the Champions Tour

0 Jack Nicklaus Trophy

0 Arnold Palmer Award

Byron Nelson Award (Champions Tour Lowest Scoring Average)   2010, 2012, 2013

0 Charles Schwab Cup

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 07, 2017, 08:33:36 pm
Great leaderboard going into the weekend. Ricky, Boom Boom, Phil, Sergio, Rose, Ryan Moore, Rory, Spieth, Kuchar...

I'll let you have those guys and I'll take either Rahm or Pieters. Those two youngsters are sneaky good.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

I find the +9 score very laughable........
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 07, 2017, 09:07:25 pm
Langer   

2 Masters wins  (1985 and 1993)

104 wins as a professional  (for perspective, Jack Nicklaus had 120 wins as a professional)

7 Major Championships on the Champions Tour  (2nd only to Jack Nicklaus' 8 Majors)

Jack Nicklaus Trophy (Champions Tour Player of the Year)   2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016

Arnold Palmer Award (Champions Tour Money List Winner)   2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Byron Nelson Award (Champions Tour Lowest Scoring Average)   2008, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016

Charles Schwab Cup Winner   2010, 2014, 2015, 2016

Couples

1 Masters win (1992)

64 wins as a professional

2 Major Championships on the Champions Tour

0 Jack Nicklaus Trophy

0 Arnold Palmer Award

Byron Nelson Award (Champions Tour Lowest Scoring Average)   2010, 2012, 2013

0 Charles Schwab Cup

Nobody here was saying in Tuesday or Wednesday that couples was going to win the dang thing, like you were with Langer.   We told you it wasn't happening and you went straight vomit with stats that didn't even support your case for the dinosaur to make the cut.

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 08, 2017, 06:54:44 am
If Fowler finally does win his first major this weekend, I think it would be a fitting result given that he (Fowler) seems to be one of the players who goes out of his way to pay his respects to the golfers that came before him.  I know there had to be a good number of other players at the first tee on Thursday morning but yet again, there was Fowler at a place he didn't have to be showing his appreciation for those who came before him.  That says something about Fowler.  I remember a year he did not play at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, Fowler drove to see Arnold Palmer and tell him in person.  Very classy to handle such things face to face. 

Here's hoping Fowler wins this weekend. 

I like Fowler but there are several I wouldn't mind seeing win it.   Gotten to where I've found myself pulling for Sergio and  McGirt has been likable as hell in his interviews.  Still pulling for Rory.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 08, 2017, 08:46:56 am
I like Fowler but there are several I wouldn't mind seeing win it.   Gotten to where I've found myself pulling for Sergio and  McGirt has been likable as hell in his interviews.  Still pulling for Rory.

McGirt definitely seems like a guy you'd like to sit at the 19th hole and have a few cold ones, likable fellow.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2017, 09:48:27 am
McGirt definitely seems like a guy you'd like to sit at the 19th hole and have a few cold ones, likable fellow.

How can you pull against a guy whose nickname is "Dirt"?
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

I have become really melancholy in regards to watching the golf action of this tournament.

It has got to the point that the only golf action I really care about is the action on the 3rd hole (the action on the entire 3rd hole, particularly the 3rd green), the action on the 7th green, the action on the 9th green, and the action on the 10th green.

An argument could be made that the 3rd hole is the best hole on the entire course.  The 3rd has the strategic elements that many of the rest of the holes are lacking, which they are lacking primarily due to the lengthening in order to try to "proof" the course for 1 player (Tiger).

Yes, the 12th, the 13th, and the 15th get all of the notoriety and publicity, but the true heart-and-soul of the course is #1, #2, #3, #4, #6, #7, #9, and #10.  Other than hole #5 and hole #8, the rest of the Front 9 is one of the better Front 9s in the United States.

The course lost a lot of it's character due to the Tom Fazio changes in the early 2000s.  Clifford Roberts and Bobby Jones would probably be ticked off if they saw what has happened to the course.   

Pigasaurus

Retards screaming stupid #$#% after each tee shot makes PGA tourneys unwatchable.  You would think the Masters tight asses of all people could put a stop to it. 
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 08, 2017, 04:25:19 pm
I have become really melancholy in regards to watching the golf action of this tournament.

It has got to the point that the only golf action I really care about is the action on the 3rd hole (the action on the entire 3rd hole, particularly the 3rd green), the action on the 7th green, the action on the 9th green, and the action on the 10th green.

An argument could be made that the 3rd hole is the best hole on the entire course.  The 3rd has the strategic elements that many of the rest of the holes are lacking, which they are lacking primarily due to the lengthening in order to try to "proof" the course for 1 player (Tiger).

Yes, the 12th, the 13th, and the 15th get all of the notoriety and publicity, but the true heart-and-soul of the course is #1, #2, #3, #4, #6, #7, #9, and #10.  Other than hole #5 and hole #8, the rest of the Front 9 is one of the better Front 9s in the United States.

The course lost a lot of it's character due to the Tom Fazio changes in the early 2000s.  Clifford Roberts and Bobby Jones would probably be ticked off if they saw what has happened to the course.   

You have to be, like, 137 years old.  Am I right?

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 08, 2017, 08:12:36 pm
You have to be, like, 137 years old.  Am I right?

I bet he only got melancholy about it when a certain player didn't make the cut for the weekend.

Boarcephus

Quote from: pigasaurus on April 08, 2017, 05:26:21 pm
Retards screaming stupid #$#% after each tee shot makes PGA tourneys unwatchable.  You would think the Masters tight asses of all people could put a stop to it. 

If they can make Ricky Fowler turn his cap back facing forward in an interview they can stop this crap. 

TomasPistola

I don't care who wins as long as it isn't Sergio Garcia. Can't stand that guy.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Boarcephus

Quote from: TomasPistola on April 08, 2017, 09:00:50 pm
I don't care who wins as long as it isn't Sergio Garcia. Can't stand that guy.

Sergio has mellowed in his later years and I wouldn't mind see him winning it. Don't really think it matters because Spieth is going to win it. 

GoHogs1091

Justin Rose should have the advantage.  Rose has won on one of the best routings in the world (Merion East Course).

"Acre for acre, it might be best test of golf in the world."

Jack Nicklaus Quote about Merion

Jackrabbit Hog

In our Masters picks thread, I picked Justin Rose so I'm sitting pretty right now. 

Well, he was actually my second choice, but since Garrigus elected to skip this event since it didn't fit in his schedule...

Boarcephus

majestic

Garcia or Fowler. Looks like Rory is too far back to make 69's wet dream come true.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Boarcephus

Sergio is up by 3 thru 5 and looking good doing it

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 09, 2017, 02:58:43 pm
Sergio is up by 3 thru 5 and looking good doing it

My sentmental favorite, but you just know that snowman is peeking around the corner.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on April 09, 2017, 03:07:51 pm
My sentmental favorite, but you just know that snowman is peeking around the corner.

I'd like to see him win it.  This is a huge putt here

majestic

Hell of a story line to this one for Sergio. First victory in 70+ starts on the birthday of fellow (deceased) Spaniard Seve Ballesteros. Would be epic if he wins.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Pigsknuckles

Me too. Downhill slider will be tough.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Boarcephus

ricepig

Official choke job has started by Sergio. I usually don't pull for him, but I hope he can finally win one and not pass Mrs. Doubtfire in starts without a win in a major.

Boarcephus

Did you guys catch what Kuchar just did?  Neat.