Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Masters

Started by ricepig, April 02, 2017, 08:33:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

One thing for sure, they never skimp on anything, check out the new press building......

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/848476756889792512

Gohogs600

I was lucky enough to visit the old one once, and it was incredible. This new facility looks like a whole new level. Very impressive...

GoHogs1091

Ron Whitten of Golf Digest had an article last month showing the changes at Augusta National.  It is an illustrated guide that allows you to click on a hole number and it allows you to choose a year.  A drawing of the hole reflects what it looked like at that particular point-in-time.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-complete-changes-to-augusta-national

In the above link Whitten wrote that Perry Maxwell worked on the 5th hole green in 1937, Whitten wrote that Maxwell worked on the 12th Hole green in 1939, Whitten wrote that Maxwell worked on the 14th green in 1939, and Whitten wrote that Maxwell worked on the 17th green in 1937.  Whitten is incorrect.  The following is the work Perry Maxwell did at Augusta National over a 2 year period in 1937 and 1938.  Maxwell did alterations to ten holes (alteration of 7 different greens and bunkering alteration of 3 other holes).

1937   On the 3rd hole, Maxwell removed the front tongue of the green and he reshaped the bunkers.  He shaved some of the front-right putting surface and, perhaps, there was some reduction in overall contour. 

1938   On the 4th hole, Maxwell rebuilt the green diminishing its pitch and turning it more towards the 90-degree, L-shaped configuration of the present.  He flattened the green, he widened the tongue, and he and pushed both bunkers closer to the collar.

1937   On the 6th hole, Maxwell reconstructed the green, which removed the mound, left much of the Redan-like left-side contour intact, and added a prominent right-side shelf.

1937   On the 7th hole, Maxwell reshaped portions of the green.  In 1938, Maxwell built a new green on a rise behind the original green site.  Maxwell put in 3 bunkers in front of the new green he built.

1938   On the 9th hole, Maxwell totally redesigned the green.  Maxwell's initial 1938 redesigned green featured four left greenside bunkers, but only 2 of Maxwell's 9th green leftside bunkers have survived.  In 1938, Maxwell added back a portion of a tongue that had existed on the front right on MacKenzie's original version of the green.

1937   On the 10th hole, Maxwell built a new green atop a hill beyond and to the left of the original green.  After the 1938 Masters, Clifford Roberts wrote Maxwell that "Ten is now a grand golf hole....I know Bob is particularly pleased."

1938   On the 18th hole, Maxwell eliminated the long front tongue on the green after the 1937 Masters.  He also altered the green to be a three tier green with the bottom tier extending down between the bunkering but not quite to the extent of MacKenzie's original putting surface.  The Augusta National Golf Club changed Maxwell's 18th green after the 1946 Masters in which Ben Hogan 3 putted the green.  Robert Trent Jones recontoured the green in the summer of 1946.

According to Chris Clouser, who is an expert on Maxwell (Clouser has written a book about him), Maxwell also altered the bunkering on the 1st Hole, the 5th Hole, and the 17th Hole.

Jackrabbit Hog

As predictable as the swallows returning to Capistrano.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 03, 2017, 09:31:27 pm
Ron Whitten of Golf Digest had an article last month showing the c..........blah blah blah......

yaawnnnnnn...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 03, 2017, 11:00:48 pm
yaawnnnnnn...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, Whitten is incorrect.  Maxwell did not work on the 5th green, the 12th green, the 14th green, and the 17th green.

It has been thought that Maxwell put in a grass knoll over to the right hand side up near the 14th green, and that the Club later removed that grass knoll, but it is inconclusive whether he put a grass knoll on the 14th hole.  That is the only possible aspect regarding Maxwell and the 14th hole.  Maxwell did not work on the 14th green.

Not for sure where Whitten is getting his information, but based on the information I have seen from a Maxwell expert, Whitten is incorrect.

GolfNut57

A grassy knoll? Guess you are going to credit Maxwell with JFK's assassination next?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 03, 2017, 10:53:24 pm

LOL!!!!!!!
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 03, 2017, 10:53:24 pm

But who designed the new media building? Who gives a crap about what happened on the course years ago....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 04, 2017, 07:44:31 am
But who designed the new media building?

No expense was spared.  The world's finest architect designed it.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

oldman1015

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 03, 2017, 09:31:27 pm
Ron Whitten of Golf Digest had an article last month showing the changes at Augusta National.  It is an illustrated guide that allows you to click on a hole number and it allows you to choose a year.  A drawing of the hole reflects what it looked like at that particular point-in-time.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-complete-changes-to-augusta-national

In the above link Whitten wrote that Perry Maxwell worked on the 5th hole green in 1937, Whitten wrote that Maxwell worked on the 12th Hole green in 1939, Whitten wrote that Maxwell worked on the 14th green in 1939, and Whitten wrote that Maxwell worked on the 17th green in 1937.  Whitten is incorrect.  The following is the work Perry Maxwell did at Augusta National over a 2 year period in 1937 and 1938.  Maxwell did alterations to ten holes (alteration of 7 different greens and bunkering alteration of 3 other holes).

1937   On the 3rd hole, Maxwell removed the front tongue of the green and he reshaped the bunkers.  He shaved some of the front-right putting surface and, perhaps, there was some reduction in overall contour. 

1938   On the 4th hole, Maxwell rebuilt the green diminishing its pitch and turning it more towards the 90-degree, L-shaped configuration of the present.  He flattened the green, he widened the tongue, and he and pushed both bunkers closer to the collar.

1937   On the 6th hole, Maxwell reconstructed the green, which removed the mound, left much of the Redan-like left-side contour intact, and added a prominent right-side shelf.

1937   On the 7th hole, Maxwell reshaped portions of the green.  In 1938, Maxwell built a new green on a rise behind the original green site.  Maxwell put in 3 bunkers in front of the new green he built.

1938   On the 9th hole, Maxwell totally redesigned the green.  Maxwell's initial 1938 redesigned green featured four left greenside bunkers, but only 2 of Maxwell's 9th green leftside bunkers have survived.  In 1938, Maxwell added back a portion of a tongue that had existed on the front right on MacKenzie's original version of the green.

1937   On the 10th hole, Maxwell built a new green atop a hill beyond and to the left of the original green.  After the 1938 Masters, Clifford Roberts wrote Maxwell that "Ten is now a grand golf hole....I know Bob is particularly pleased."

1938   On the 18th hole, Maxwell eliminated the long front tongue on the green after the 1937 Masters.  He also altered the green to be a three tier green with the bottom tier extending down between the bunkering but not quite to the extent of MacKenzie's original putting surface.  The Augusta National Golf Club changed Maxwell's 18th green after the 1946 Masters in which Ben Hogan 3 putted the green.  Robert Trent Jones recontoured the green in the summer of 1946.

According to Chris Clouser, who is an expert on Maxwell (Clouser has written a book about him), Maxwell also altered the bunkering on the 1st Hole, the 5th Hole, and the 17th Hole.
Sigh
Arkansas, the left lane state.

GoHogs1091

Here is a post by someone who has walked the course.  Notice the stuff in the 13th fairway and also in the area in front of the 12th green in the first picture.

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/augustanational.php

That picture would explain the following post made by renowned golf course architect, Tom Doak, in 2012.

"I played Augusta a year ago January [with one of my clients] and the conditioning was far from perfect.  Of course, last winter was a much tougher one that this year, but the idea that the course is perfect all the time is a myth -- a myth that's reinforced by the fact that the only time anyone else ever sees the course is the week of the tournament, when everything is peaked to perfection.  And that's really the whole problem with the so-called "Augusta syndrome" ... not just that they have so much more money to spend than others do, but the whole myth that ANY golf course can be conditioned to perfection on a year-round basis.  Nature just doesn't work that way, and no amount of money can change it."

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51826.msg1187067.html#msg1187067

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 04, 2017, 11:04:11 pm
Here is a post by someone who has walked the course.  Notice the stuff in the 13th fairway and also in the area in front of the 12th green in the first picture.

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/augustanational.php

That picture would explain the following post made by renowned golf course architect, Tom Doak, in 2012.

"I played Augusta a year ago January [with one of my clients] and the conditioning was far from perfect.  Of course, last winter was a much tougher one that this year, but the idea that the course is perfect all the time is a myth -- a myth that's reinforced by the fact that the only time anyone else ever sees the course is the week of the tournament, when everything is peaked to perfection.  And that's really the whole problem with the so-called "Augusta syndrome" ... not just that they have so much more money to spend than others do, but the whole myth that ANY golf course can be conditioned to perfection on a year-round basis.  Nature just doesn't work that way, and no amount of money can change it."

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51826.msg1187067.html#msg1187067

You know, if you'd post a joke or a picture of a hot girl, or get into a name calling war with someone, at least we'd know you are human. 

Personally, I think you must be a malfunctioning Alexa that can't help but spew weird Perry Maxwell facts.

C'mon buddy.  I dare you to post something funny.  And it can't be a nude photo of Bernhard.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 08:23:16 am
You know, if you'd post a joke or a picture of a hot girl, or get into a name calling war with someone, at least we'd know you are human. 

Personally, I think you must be a malfunctioning Alexa that can't help but spew weird Perry Maxwell facts.

C'mon buddy.  I dare you to post something funny.  And it can't be a nude photo of Bernhard.

He was being funny.............wasn't he?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 08:23:16 am

LMAO.  I bet gohogs takes boudoir photos on Southern hills

Jackrabbit Hog

Par 3 contest cancelled; course shut down for the day.  Severe storms, forecast for 30 mph winds the first two days of the tournament.  But I bet it'll be sunny on Sunday.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 02:18:41 pm
Par 3 contest cancelled; course shut down for the day.  Severe storms, forecast for 30 mph winds the first two days of the tournament.  But I bet it'll be sunny on Sunday.

So everyone lucked out in that nobody gets the kiss of death by winning the Par Three tourney.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 02:18:41 pm

Will they have to glue the azalea petals back on if they get stripped?

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2017, 03:00:26 pm
Will they have to glue the azalea petals back on if they get stripped?

Naked Azaleas would never happen at a Perry Maxwell designed golf course. Just saying.........

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2017, 10:14:36 am
Yes, intentionally or unintentionally, he was being funny.

I laugh every time I read a GoHogs1091 post on golf.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2017, 10:14:36 am

Here is a close-up of that stuff on the ground in that Billy Satterfield review link I posted (the below pictures are from the "See additional photos of Augusta National" that is at the upper portion of the review).

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th-green-shadow.jpg

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th-Golden-Bell.jpg

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th.jpg

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th-side.jpg

Billy Satterfield stated at the upper portion of his review that "At least 12 other architects have worked on the course since its initial opening."  Satterfield is incorrect.  The following are the architects who have worked on the course.

Alister MacKenzie   
Perry Maxwell
Robert Trent Jones
George Cobb
Joe Finger
Jack Nicklaus
Bob Cupp
Tom Fazio

Bobby Jones (who gave some input to Alister MacKenzie on the original design) and Byron Nelson (who aided Joe Finger in regards to a rebuild of the 8th hole green in 1980) were not golf course architects.  Even if Jones and Nelson were considered to be golf course architects, that would be 10 architects total (the 8 above actual golf course architects plus Bobby Jones and Byron Nelson).

Really, technically the Augusta National Golf Club should show/list the course architects as being Alister MacKenzie/Course Renovation--Improvement by Perry Maxwell (who improved 10 of the holes).  Since Maxwell improved 10 of the holes, then he should be considered a main architect of the course. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 05, 2017, 04:04:10 pm
Here is a close-up of that stuff on the ground in that Billy Satterfield review link I posted (the below pictures are from the "See additional photos of Augusta National" that is at the upper portion of the review).

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th-green-shadow.jpg

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th-Golden-Bell.jpg

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th.jpg

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/photos/georgia/augustanational/large/Augusta-National-12th-side.jpg

Billy Satterfield stated at the upper portion of his review that "At least 12 other architects have worked on the course since its initial opening."  Satterfield is incorrect.  The following are the architects who have worked on the course.

Alister MacKenzie   
Perry Maxwell
Robert Trent Jones
George Cobb
Joe Finger
Jack Nicklaus
Bob Cupp
Tom Fazio

Bobby Jones (who gave some input to Alister MacKenzie on the original design) and Byron Nelson (who aided Joe Finger in regards to a rebuild of the 8th hole green in 1980) were not golf course architects.  Even if Jones and Nelson were considered to be golf course architects, that would be 10 architects total (the 8 above actual golf course architects plus Bobby Jones and Byron Nelson).

Really, technically the Augusta National Golf Club should show/list the course architects as being Alister MacKenzie/Course Renovation--Improvement by Perry Maxwell (who improved 10 of the holes).  Since Maxwell improved 10 of the holes, then he should be considered a main architect of the course.

Stop it man, you're killing me!!  My ribs are hurting from laughing so hard!

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 04:13:16 pm

I peed in my pants, I was laughing so hard, that or my depends leaked........

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 05, 2017, 04:13:16 pm

Clifford Roberts and Bobby Jones are Co-Founders of the ANGC.  Roberts probably gave some input to Alister MacKenzie regarding the initial course design, just like Bobby Jones did.  Roberts, like Jones, was not a golf course architect, but the Club lists Jones as Co-Architect, but they don't list Roberts as a Co-Architect.

It seems to me to be inconsistent for Jones to be listed as a Co-Architect, but not Roberts.

The history of the ANGC was solidified by really only the following 7 people.

Clifford Roberts
Bobby Jones
Alister MacKenzie
Perry Maxwell
Arnold Palmer
Jackson T. Stephens
Jack Nicklaus

The impact the above had/is currently having on the ANGC is extraordinarily historic, and cannot be changed.

If Perry Maxwell had not done the work he did on the course in 1937 and 1938, The Masters Tournament would probably not be what it is today.  Clifford Roberts had the foresight and the wisdom to hire the genius golf course designer, Maxwell.  Roberts hiring Maxwell may be one of the most historically significant events ever in the entire history of golf.

vol_in_ar

longtimeHogfan

....or do Justin Rose and Ryan Mallett look like they could have been separated at birth?

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.