Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

West Virginia

Started by luke hawg, March 23, 2017, 08:41:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

Number 1 in turnovers and top 20 in rebounds. It's possible with uptempo pressing style. Why do we struggle to get boards so much.

OnTheHillHogFan

They are a lot bigger as a team. They start a 3 forward 2 guard lineup.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

BadHog

This game is about as ugly as it gets!!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: luke hawg on March 23, 2017, 08:41:54 pm
Number 1 in turnovers and top 20 in rebounds. It's possible with uptempo pressing style. Why do we struggle to get boards so much.

Look at our roster at the moment.  Our best 4 last year was Manny. 

And quite frankly, we didn't struggle as much as some think.

Biggus Piggus

West Virginia has awesome offensive rebounding. Their defensive rebounding is impaired by their pressure defensive style. And they foul a ton.

WVa has focused more on getting quickness into the lineup than Arkansas has. The Hogs' pressure was meager the past two seasons. They had to gamble to get steals, didn't produce enough so-called unforced turnovers, which is a direct indication that the defense failed to disrupt opposing offensive schemes.

Arkansas's defensive rebounding looked very similar to West Virginia's. Offensive rebounding, not as good. Disruption, not even close. You give Arkansas WVa's 28% defensive turnover number, and the Razorbacks would be headed for the Final Four. With their 18.5% production - right at national average - the Hogs couldn't quite get there.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 07:32:51 am
West Virginia has awesome offensive rebounding. Their defensive rebounding is impaired by their pressure defensive style. And they foul a ton.

WVa has focused more on getting quickness into the lineup than Arkansas has. The Hogs' pressure was meager the past two seasons. They had to gamble to get steals, didn't produce enough so-called unforced turnovers, which is a direct indication that the defense failed to disrupt opposing offensive schemes.

Arkansas's defensive rebounding looked very similar to West Virginia's. Offensive rebounding, not as good. Disruption, not even close. You give Arkansas WVa's 28% defensive turnover number, and the Razorbacks would be headed for the Final Four. With their 18.5% production - right at national average - the Hogs couldn't quite get there.
It's all about length on the perimeter. We don't really have it yet. We have a couple guards with decent length, but we don't have it top to bottom. You want turnovers, you have to get tips and deflections.

onebadrubi

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but WVU presses a little different than we have the past couple of years.  It was actually much more similar to the way we pressed when Bailey was on the floor vs UNC. 

niels_boar

They were actually a miserable #257 in defensive rebounding percentage.  Their excellent rebounding was at the offensive end.  They were actually pretty good on the defensive glass last season (#77) but blocked few shots.  This season Huggins rebalanced his halfcourt defense to challenge shots, #14 in block percentage.  If you pressure the passing lanes and challenge shots, you won't be in position to rebound. 

We were actually a little better FG percentage defense than W Virginia this season.  The difference in the defenses wasn't rebounding.  It was that they were very good at forcing TOs (#1), and we were barely NCAA average.  We need to excel in those areas in which we are trying to excel.  Nothing we do, not in zone or man, is designed to excel on the defensive glass.  If we had forced TOs at the same rate as a typical CMA team with the same FG percentage defense and defensive rebounding, we would have been a top defense like West Virginia.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Jackrabbit Hog

Huggins put all his eggs in the full court pressure basket this year.  Offensively they were atrocious, so he realized - correctly - that his team's best chance to win would be relentless pressure causing more turnovers than easy buckets given up.  It's a risky strategy that, more times than not, will catch up with you in the tournament against good teams that can match up with you.

And before anyone uses the '90 era Razorback team for comparison, there is one huge difference.  That team was very talented offensively.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

colbs

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2017, 12:07:44 pm
Huggins put all his eggs in the full court pressure basket this year.  Offensively they were atrocious, so he realized - correctly - that his team's best chance to win would be relentless pressure causing more turnovers than easy buckets given up.  It's a risky strategy that, more times than not, will catch up with you in the tournament against good teams that can match up with you.

And before anyone uses the '90 era Razorback team for comparison, there is one huge difference.  That team was very talented offensively.
It probably helps them that the BIG 12 officials aren't as whistle happy as the SEC officials.

hogwood

Love the WV team with Huggins.

WorfHog

All about size and skill.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: WorfHog on March 24, 2017, 09:25:44 pm
All about size and skill.

We have no length and size on outside.  I realize that now even more watching UCLA vs Cats.

WorfHog

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 24, 2017, 10:06:07 pm
We have no length and size on outside.  I realize that now even more watching UCLA vs Cats.

It's coming. Just wait...