Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Players Staying/Leaving Thread

Started by The_Iceman, March 21, 2017, 08:58:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Quote from: LZH on March 21, 2017, 10:07:02 pm
I don't know man, those South American women can make a man do strange things......

It must be the tequila.....

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 21, 2017, 10:23:11 am
If Williams is projected Top 10 / lottery in 2017, he should go.

He was projected at the time of his announcement as a late lottery pick. He is definitely risking a lot. But it's an eye of the beholder kind of deal to me. Do we really think he will turn out to not be a first round pick after one more year of college? Assuming he declares this time next year, he's still just 20 years old. It's hard to imagine a player that young getting worse. I think his worse case is he doesn't improve very much and he's still a first rounder somewhere just on potential. Marcus Smart was going to be the #2 overall pick after his freshman year by the Magic but he returned to OSU and then dropped to #6, but I think he fell into a better situation in Boston. Maybe his second contract isn't as much because he's not a centerpiece, but I think he's the kind of guy that would gladly sacrifice some money to not have to spend the first 8-9 years of his career in Orlando. He's a key player on a possibly soon-to-be championship contender and gaining valuable postseason experience every year. If it's strictly a money decision, Williams might be making a mistake (though Draftexpress has him projected at #5 for 2018). But if he's a get-better/develop/want-to-win guy, he might be okay if he falls in the draft next year and gets drafted by a playoff team. Hard to imagine San Antonio or even Golden State passing on the kid with the first round pick if he's there. Most kids just want the money and want it ASAP, but I think it's fair to say Robert Williams is not that kind of kid because the money is there for him right now. He wants more than money. Or, maybe he just wants more money!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 21, 2017, 06:56:29 pm
Huge mistake by Robert Williams. If he returns A&M will be loaded.
Not every kid is thinking about NBA basketball. Some kids are thinking about life after NBA basketball. When did staying in school become wrong? Me and you usually agree on a lot of things but there may not be a right or wrong decision when it comes to this. Depends on the player and his situation. He and his family might have enough money to make it a little while longer without an NBA salary. Let's not forget that rookies don't come in making as much money as they used to.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

azhog10

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 22, 2017, 09:02:01 am
Not every kid is thinking about NBA basketball. Some kids are thinking about life after NBA basketball. When did staying in school become wrong?
I wouldn't say it's wrong. But I would say that he is walking away from guaranteed money that he could lose next year. He can always come back and finish his degree or work on his degree while in the NBA. A lot of things could happen that take him out of the lottery, and god forbid, could take him out of the first or second round.

If you are a lottery guy, to me, there's no reason to come back to college.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: azhog10 on March 22, 2017, 09:04:28 am
I wouldn't say it's wrong. But I would say that he is walking away from guaranteed money that he could lose next year. He can always come back and finish his degree or work on his degree while in the NBA. A lot of things could happen that take him out of the lottery, and god forbid, could take him out of the first or second round.

If you are a lottery guy, to me, there's no reason to come back to college.
True, but how many players actually come back and get their degree after they leave college? What is the percentage on that? I dare to say it won't be high.

LZH

azhog10

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 22, 2017, 09:09:16 am
True, but how many players actually come back and get their degree after they leave college? What is the percentage on that? I dare to say it won't be high.
I don't disagree, but I also don't know. Obviously I know of people like Shaq and a few others that got their degree and then some. But obviously it has to mean something. The fact he values coming back as highly as he does, then I would think he would stay persistent enough to get it done. But there's no doubt it gets easier to blow that off over time.

The_Iceman

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 22, 2017, 09:02:01 am
Not every kid is thinking about NBA basketball. Some kids are thinking about life after NBA basketball. When did staying in school become wrong? Me and you usually agree on a lot of things but there may not be a right or wrong decision when it comes to this. Depends on the player and his situation. He and his family might have enough money to make it a little while longer without an NBA salary. Let's not forget that rookies don't come in making as much money as they used to.

I attended college not for the paper on my wall but the paper in my pockets. He can always go back to college. It's a risk but it's his risk to take.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 22, 2017, 08:03:59 pm
I attended college not for the paper on my wall but the paper in my pockets. He can always go back to college. It's a risk but it's his risk to take.
That's true for SOME. But like I said in an earlier post. Some players are better off financially than others or just better off period and can wait a little longer for that mighty dollar and before they become all the way GROWN. That may be the case for him. And once again how many players actually go back and get their degree once they leave that college campus?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 22, 2017, 08:36:19 am
He was projected at the time of his announcement as a late lottery pick. He is definitely risking a lot. But it's an eye of the beholder kind of deal to me. Do we really think he will turn out to not be a first round pick after one more year of college? Assuming he declares this time next year, he's still just 20 years old. It's hard to imagine a player that young getting worse. I think his worse case is he doesn't improve very much and he's still a first rounder somewhere just on potential. Marcus Smart was going to be the #2 overall pick after his freshman year by the Magic but he returned to OSU and then dropped to #6, but I think he fell into a better situation in Boston. Maybe his second contract isn't as much because he's not a centerpiece, but I think he's the kind of guy that would gladly sacrifice some money to not have to spend the first 8-9 years of his career in Orlando. He's a key player on a possibly soon-to-be championship contender and gaining valuable postseason experience every year. If it's strictly a money decision, Williams might be making a mistake (though Draftexpress has him projected at #5 for 2018). But if he's a get-better/develop/want-to-win guy, he might be okay if he falls in the draft next year and gets drafted by a playoff team. Hard to imagine San Antonio or even Golden State passing on the kid with the first round pick if he's there. Most kids just want the money and want it ASAP, but I think it's fair to say Robert Williams is not that kind of kid because the money is there for him right now. He wants more than money. Or, maybe he just wants more money!

Yeah, I have no idea what motivates him or is important to him. I posted what I did just going off the idea that the vast majority of NBA-worthy players want to make that dream a reality as soon as possible, plus the fact that the best business decision is to go when you are being projected as a lock for the lottery. I realize there's a sliding scale and IF he improves his stock it would mean more money, but that's a risk.

He could get hurt, or he could have enough of a sophomore slump to possibly slide to the back-end of the 1st-round. Even if he maintains or slightly improves his stock, he's missed out on a full year of big money relative to rookie wages. He also adds time to when he can get to that 2nd-contract. From a biz standpoint, not the best decision to pass on lottery-pick money.

Conversely, he may not feel like he's ready to make that jump for a variety of reasons, so he's not chasing the $$$ grab. If he believes in himself enough to hold down his lottery projection for another year, or even if that isn't even a concern or consideration, kudos to him for doing it his way.

daprospecta

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 23, 2017, 10:35:55 am
Yeah, I have no idea what motivates him or is important to him. I posted what I did just going off the idea that the vast majority of NBA-worthy players want to make that dream a reality as soon as possible, plus the fact that the best business decision is to go when you are being projected as a lock for the lottery. I realize there's a sliding scale and IF he improves his stock it would mean more money, but that's a risk.

He could get hurt, or he could have enough of a sophomore slump to possibly slide to the back-end of the 1st-round. Even if he maintains or slightly improves his stock, he's missed out on a full year of big money relative to rookie wages. He also adds time to when he can get to that 2nd-contract. From a biz standpoint, not the best decision to pass on lottery-pick money.

Conversely, he may not feel like he's ready to make that jump for a variety of reasons, so he's not chasing the $$$ grab. If he believes in himself enough to hold down his lottery projection for another year, or even if that isn't even a concern or consideration, kudos to him for doing it his way.
Yea, I'm all for players returning if the NBA isn't a sure thing but if you are a 1st round lock, get out of here and go.  That is why I understood Portis leaving and wanted him to leave.  He was all hog from day one and he was a 1st round pick.  Go fulfill that dream and make that money Portis is the way I felt and how I will feel towards any other hog in a similar situation.

Hawg Red

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2017, 02:33:04 pm
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/844995039092654080

Averaged 8 minutes per game as a freshman.
It's crazy how kids leave as soon as they aren't playing 20 mins a game as a freshman. AAU ball is a big reason for this. Kids think they should be playing right away and a lot of minutes. Another reason why I think you see so much parity these days. Lots of really good players aren't sticking around in the major programs. Instead they will transfer out or just sign with a mid major because they know they will get the minutes.