Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VCU's Will Wade to LSU

Started by The_Iceman, March 20, 2017, 09:35:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

good coach . the SEC is making some better hires
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Smithian

I have no idea why Will Wade took that job. No idea whatsoever unless they broke the bank. It feels like an odd pairing of coach and program.

The_Iceman

34 years old. Took over VCU from Shaka Smart. Career coaching record:

Chattanooga (Southern Conference) (2013–2015)
2013–14   Chattanooga   18–15   CIT First Round
2014–15   Chattanooga   22–10      
Chattanooga:   40–25 (.615)   27–7 (.794)   

VCU (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2015–present)
2015–16   VCU   25–11   NCAA Round of 32
2016–17   VCU   26–9           NCAA Round of 64

Not really that special.

ChicoHog

Only 4 years as  HC?  Way too early to tell.  Maybe they are hoping to find another Mike White. 

Danny J

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 20, 2017, 09:46:52 pm
Only 4 years as  HC?  Way too early to tell.  Maybe they are hoping to find another Mike White.
Florida got a steal...he is very intense and I love his passion and demeanor. He will keep UF going...Gator fans got lucky

rupert

Will grew up  here in Nashville,,,,good kid, good family....has  worked hard and will continue to do so...

Congrats to him

RaisinHog

He better be tuff to deal with that zoo at such a young age

LRHog

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 20, 2017, 09:59:34 pm
He better be tuff to deal with that zoo at such a young age

34 isnt young by any standard. Its the middle of your adult working life. Lets not go crazy.

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Blah.  And, we'll see about White.  He had a pretty good run at La Tech, I guess, but he's had a pretty easy road to continue success that was ongoing at UF when he arrived.

Hogginintheville

navyhog24

Past VCU coaches haven't done so great leaving Richmond, i.e. Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart. Let's see if he continues the trend or not.

rude1

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2017, 09:52:06 pm
Florida got a steal...he is very intense and I love his passion and demeanor. He will keep UF going...Gator fans got lucky
I would say the jury is still out, he is still working with the parts Donovan left him, I am waiting to see how this goes after that talent is gone.

The Hogfather

Seems like Darrin Horn all over again.

azhog10

The Boar War

Who's the next coach to lead VCU to 20+ wins?

The next coach at VCU.

HossHog

Quote from: LRHog on March 20, 2017, 10:06:11 pm
34 isnt young by any standard. Its the middle of your adult working life. Lets not go crazy.
It's very young for a head coach. Most coaches don't get their first coaching job until they are 40 much less be at their third school by the time they are 34

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rude1 on March 20, 2017, 10:44:06 pm
I would say the jury is still out, he is still working with the parts Donovan left him, I am waiting to see how this goes after that talent is gone.
i'd say you havent been paying attention.

And, I am cool with it b/c at least ole piss didnt get White.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 20, 2017, 10:41:05 pm
Past VCU coaches haven't done so great leaving Richmond, i.e. Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart. Let's see if he continues the trend or not.

I'm impressed someone else besides me knows where VCU is located.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mbgrulz

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 20, 2017, 11:47:29 pm

Did White bring in all those guys? I think that is what he meant...Can White bring in the caliber of players that on a consistent basis that BD was able to?  A LOT of guys could win with the team they have this year. They have one of the most athletic teams and especially back courts out there.

King Kong

I like Wade. I think he is a good coach. Not sure LSU is the right fit

navyhog24

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2017, 06:27:43 am
I'm impressed someone else besides me knows where VCU is located.

I was stationed in Norfolk for many years ;)

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 20, 2017, 11:47:29 pm

There's a big difference between taking a job where the coach moved on to a better job than taking over a job where a coach has been fired. See Frank Haith, Kevin Ollie, etc.

I still think White is a good coach but I think it's not unlikely there will be a drop off in the next couple of seasons.

NWAHog479

I think he is a solid hire for them, but is the LSU job really a good job? I do not think that they have the facilities in mens hoops like a lot of the other SEC schools do. Louisiana does produce some good high school players, but not a ton. It will be interesting to see if he can turn it around and get it back to the spot where Brady had them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 21, 2017, 08:18:08 am
I think he is a solid hire for them, but is the LSU job really a good job? I do not think that they have the facilities in mens hoops like a lot of the other SEC schools do. Louisiana does produce some good high school players, but not a ton. It will be interesting to see if he can turn it around and get it back to the spot where Brady had them.

In state recruiting:
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=LA

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=LA

It is pretty good. Plus, they are decently close to the Houston market. Not a bad job when you have no other in state competition.

Hawg Red

He's an up-and-comer, so you know how that goes. Probably would have been a contender at Arkansas if there was an opening. Could be a grand slam for LSU, could be more of the same. Personally, I'd find it hard to believe he can't out-coach Johnny Jones but I very much question if he can out-recruit him. Patience required here moreso than with a more proven hire.

I don't put any stock at all into past performance of previous VCU coaches because these guys are all different coaches. Just having coached at VCU doesn't make you some kind of fake good coach and then you're exposed when you leave. Jeff Capel made the Elite 8 at OU and then ran into some trouble because he did not recruit good character players. He stepped in to replace Coach K due to various ailments this season, FWIW. Anthony Grant was so-so are Alabama. Made the NCAAs once and a couple of deep NIT runs in 6 seasons at Alabama. Shaka is just in Year 2 at Texas and has run into some trouble in building a program there (had to remove Tevin Mack from the program; Isaiah Taylor left him high and dry last year to go undrafted). We'll see how it goes. Still has a lot of talent there but not sure who all goes pro this year. The guy has literally had one bad season in his career, so I think it's a bit hasty to act like he's on some downward trajectory as a coach.

My initial reaction is that Missouri and LSU both upgraded, but made hires that I don't really fear as a Razorback fan. I was more worried about Missouri hiring someone like Hoiberg. I figured LSU wouldn't pull in too big of a name, actually.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 08:34:38 am
In state recruiting:
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=LA

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=LA

It is pretty good. Plus, they are decently close to the Houston market. Not a bad job when you have no other in state competition.

I think LSU's basketball program is a sleeper.  They can be really good.  Glad they hired a dud.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 21, 2017, 08:34:38 am
In state recruiting:

Why in the world is their best player going to Western Kentucky? I could see if it was Kentucky, but Western Kentucky ???. And to make matters worse the school is in Baton Rouge :-\.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Razorod

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 10:31:02 am
Why in the world is their best player going to Western Kentucky? I could see if it was Kentucky, but Western Kentucky ???. And to make matters worse the school is in Baton Rouge :-\.
Stansbury is not a great coach, but he is a very good recruiter.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 21, 2017, 08:01:36 am
I was stationed in Norfolk for many years ;)

I thought that might be the case. I like the tidewater area other than the large population. The first time I ever saw the ocean personally was in Virgina Beach on a Christmas Day. COLD! We drove down from Richmond where we lived just to get out and do something. Two hour drive down, Ten minutes standing on the beach like an idiot and the two hours driving back to Richmond. Never been a fan of an east coast beach since except the Gulf Shores National Seashore. I've seen VCU play in person. Some may not realize they have a good basketball history and it's a good school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

niels_boar

Wade didn't recruit hardly any of the rotation at Chattanooga or VCU.  He's completely unproven in terms of building and running a program.  He might be Coach K, but to this point he has used the Frank-Haith path to success.  Find a good roster.   White was completely responsible for an outstanding team at La Tech and left a good roster that could compete for conference crowns two years after he left.  Their resumes aren't comparable.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.