Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ladyback basketball is a lost cause.

Started by logic, March 18, 2017, 08:52:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

logic

With the top rated players and other players transferring,  with a player decommitting, and the best player in the state not even considering Arkansas, regardless of who the next coach is, it is hopeless. And, I don't have the time or patience wait the 5 years or more it would take for ladyback basketball to be competitive.

If it wasn't for Title IX, we should drop women's basketball.  However, there is no need to waste money on expensive coaches. Just have volunteer coaches and pay for expenses and recruit the few player that have extremely high SAT scores; the type that would be given academic scholarships.  That way the cost would be minimal and we would still give the athletic scholarships to help meet Title IX requirements.

So what if they don't win a game and lose most  games by 50, the families and friends would still buy tickets and not many more than that are going to the games anyway.

Dr. Starcs

No doubt there are high school coaches in this state who could do a much better job than our last 3 coaches.

And they'd probably do it for 1/3 of the salary.

Scott7703

The OP couldn't be any further from being accurate. The next hire is going to be the right one and he will get the ship moving in the right direction. We will see improvement next season. Move away from the ledge

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 18, 2017, 09:30:55 am
The OP couldn't be any further from being accurate. The next hire is going to be the right one and he will get the ship moving in the right direction. We will see improvement next season. Move away from the ledge

haha, good one and accurate.  The darkness hour is just before the dawn.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hawg1221

There is a darkness hour just after sunset as well. :)

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 18, 2017, 09:55:33 am
There is a darkness hour just after sunset as well. :)

well dark is dark, keep saying it!  How right you are!  But then I think everyone will rejoice at the dawn by the end of the month.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: logic on March 18, 2017, 08:52:27 am
With the top rated players and other players transferring,  with a player decommitting, and the best player in the state not even considering Arkansas, regardless of who the next coach is, it is hopeless. And, I don't have the time or patience wait the 5 years or more it would take for ladyback basketball to be competitive.

If it wasn't for Title IX, we should drop women's basketball.  However, there is no need to waste money on expensive coaches. Just have volunteer coaches and pay for expenses and recruit the few player that have extremely high SAT scores; the type that would be given academic scholarships.  That way the cost would be minimal and we would still give the athletic scholarships to help meet Title IX requirements.

So what if they don't win a game and lose most  games by 50, the families and friends would still buy tickets and not many more than that are going to the games anyway.

This is ridiculous on multiple levels.  First, it's a recommendation to try to circumvent the intent of Title IX which has had huge benefits to women's athletics and to the millions of high school and college women participating.  Second, all programs go through ups and downs and while women's basketball here has not yet achieved the success we would like, it does not mean it cannot do so in the future.  If you do not want to wait for that to happen, that's fine.  Nobody is asking you to.  The state has a wealth of talent coming up through the high school ranks and with the right coach will be able to better acquire that talent as well as recruit elsewhere.  I, for one, look forward to better success in the future.  And making that happen starts with a strong coaching hire.

psycHOGlogist

I'm sure the team will miss the OP's meaningful support.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 18, 2017, 11:20:36 am
I'm sure the team will miss the OP's meaningful support.

Shakespearean wit again, love it!

HogAllMighty

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 18, 2017, 10:21:43 am
This is ridiculous on multiple levels.  First, it's a recommendation to try to circumvent the intent of Title IX which has had huge benefits to women's athletics and to the millions of high school and college women participating.  Second, all programs go through ups and downs and while women's basketball here has not yet achieved the success we would like, it does not mean it cannot do so in the future.  If you do not want to wait for that to happen, that's fine.  Nobody is asking you to.  The state has a wealth of talent coming up through the high school ranks and with the right coach will be able to better acquire that talent as well as recruit elsewhere.  I, for one, look forward to better success in the future.  And making that happen starts with a strong coaching hire.

Just where is this wealth of talent coming from that you speak of?

Scott7703

March 18, 2017, 05:49:24 pm #10 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:26:01 pm by Scott7703
Quote from: sevenof400 on March 18, 2017, 05:27:00 pm
At what cost? When will women's​ sports be expected to pay their own way in at least its one major sport? If the demand was truly as high as you believe, we should see evidence of this throughout the sport. 

Does Uconns women's program "pay its own way"? Bottom line is football is and will always be the bell cow that makes all the money for the athletic program.

logic

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 18, 2017, 10:21:43 am
Title IX is an  evil  thing passed by corrupt politicians that neither believe in nor support the free market.  Whether or not it benefits some girls is immaterial.  They are no more  deserving of scholarships than 50 times as many other students that don't receive scholarships. For the most  part, it is nothing more  theft; robbing from taxpayers and other students.

And, your statement that all programs have ups and downs is clearly false. In my lifetime  Kentucky, UNC, etc. has never been down.  They are always up even though some  years  are somewhat better than others. On the other  hand, Ladyback basketball is down and may never recover.  Few elite girls will attent a college that can't win and where very few fans attend the games.

Hogg_Phan

Quote from: Scott7703 on March 18, 2017, 09:30:55 am

So the next coach is a he? Has the program ever had a female basketball coach?
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

ricepig

Quote from: logic on March 18, 2017, 06:02:36 pm
Title IX is an  evil  thing passed by corrupt politicians that neither believe in nor support the free market.  Whether or not it benefits some girls is immaterial.  They are no more  deserving of scholarships than 50 times as many other students that don't receive scholarships. For the most  part, it is nothing more  theft; robbing from taxpayers and other students.

And, your statement that all programs have ups and downs is clearly false. In my lifetime  Kentucky, UNC, etc. has never been down.  They are always up even though some  years  are somewhat better than others. On the other  hand, Ladyback basketball is down and may never recover.  Few elite girls will attent a college that can't win and where very few fans attend the games.

So, you are comparing Ladyback basketball, to UK and UNC men's basketball, really not germane to the discussion.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogg_Phan on March 18, 2017, 06:11:22 pm
Suzy Gardner.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2017, 06:13:34 pm
Suzy Gardner.

Matilda Willis (81-...) also my time before John Sutherland. Also another in 1980 (Hen..). and I think some when the program was revived in 76.

psycHOGlogist

The level of ignorance about women's college sports (and the related, inevitable Title IX bashing -- "evil" lol) on display here is surprising only because it's occurring in the women's forum. Usually one has to read the trolls on the men's board for that.

oldfart

brs_hogfan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 18, 2017, 08:56:44 pm
The level of ignorance about women's college sports (and the related, inevitable Title IX bashing -- "evil" lol) on display here is surprising only because it's occurring in the women's forum. Usually one has to read the trolls on the men's board for that.

Exactly my thought when I read the comments.

logic

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 20, 2017, 07:44:48 am
Exactly my thought when I read the comments.
Radical liberals have never seen a government program they don't like when the government robs others to pay for it.

Birminghog

Quote from: logic on March 20, 2017, 04:33:42 pm
Radical liberals have never seen a government program they don't like when the government robs others to pay for it.
Would that be anything like the fact that both the state of Arkansas and the state of Alabama get more money back from the federal government for programs (roads, etc.) than they pay in taxes? That the government "robs" more affluent  "liberal" states to give to states that b____ about the "liberal" government programs?

I love both states, but let's get real when we talk about who gets robbed. Rant over. Horns down. I apologize to all for falling prey to a political diatribe on a sports board.

LadybackBBFan

I agree - let's get back to basketball and sports and leave politics for another forum.  Your Moderator

mbgrulz

By some of the posters logic in this thread, we should do away with baseball...it doesn't pay its own way...free market. I'm guessing that since we like baseball, we should keep it around tho, right? But we don't like these women's sports taking all the $ the men sports make, so cancel them.

Each school is different. Some schools make money at some sports and lose it at others. If all schools got rid of the sports they made money at and did away with the ones that lost money, college sports would be dead!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 21, 2017, 08:29:44 am
By some of the posters logic in this thread, we should do away with baseball...it doesn't pay its own way...free market. I'm guessing that since we like baseball, we should keep it around tho, right? But we don't like these women's sports taking all the $ the men sports make, so cancel them.

Each school is different. Some schools make money at some sports and lose it at others. If all schools got rid of the sports they made money at and did away with the ones that lost money, college sports would be dead!
baseball has been a revenue generating sport for some time now.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hogg_Phan on March 18, 2017, 06:11:22 pm

The first coach ever, Matilda Willis. Then Susie Gardner. More men than women head coaches, however.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 21, 2017, 09:04:32 am
baseball has been a revenue generating sport for some time now.
Haha. Yea...at Arkansas. How do we fill out a schedule of all the schools where baseball doesn't turn a profit shut down? You're not getting it.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 21, 2017, 10:01:40 am
Haha. Yea...at Arkansas. How do we fill out a schedule of all the schools where baseball doesn't turn a profit shut down? You're not getting it.

How is that UofA's problem?

mbgrulz

Well, its pretty easy to see how its the UA's problem...If the only schools left playing baseball (just the example we're using) are the 5% (guessing) of schools where baseball actually turns a profit, then who the hell will care about college baseball at that point? Then, nobody comes to baseball games anymore...Next, we aren't profitable because we don't have the fan support...Bye, bye baseball.

BlancheDevereaux

If we went solely by profit margins we would have to get rid of track and field, our most popular and decorated program. Surely no one wants to see us give up the one sport we where we actually win national/SEC championships!

And should other programs choose to follow their lead, we would have only one baseball opponent in the SEC, which I'm guessing would wind up hurting our profit margins in turn.

jackflash

nothing is a lost cause. Long has work to do.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2017, 06:13:34 pm
Suzy Gardner.

Don't remind me.
I don't know who was the worse hire her or Dykes.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsfan31

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hoglady on March 25, 2017, 12:49:45 am
Don't remind me.

Is it true that John White asked Pat Summitt who we should hire and she said Suzy Gardner ? Why would anyone take the advice of their competitor ?

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Dr. Starcs

That was Pat's first sign of dementia.

tophawg19

more like John Whites . Plan worked great for Pat

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 25, 2017, 06:03:50 pm
Is it true that John White asked Pat Summitt who we should hire and she said Suzy Gardner ? Why would anyone take the advice of their competitor ?

No, not quite. Summitt did recommend Susie, but not to John White. Bev did the hiring and bragged about how she called around to coaches across the country and Susie's name kept coming up. And both Pat Summitt and Andy Landers (for whom she played at UGA) put in a good word for her. Susie does a good job at low-major schools. She was great at Austin Peay before coming here, and she's now HC at Mercer and doing reasonably well. She was in WAAAAY over her head in the SEC. Awful hire.

Dr. Starcs

logic

Quote from: Birminghog on March 20, 2017, 06:10:23 pm
Would that be anything like the fact that both the state of Arkansas and the state of Alabama get more money back from the federal government for programs (roads, etc.) than they pay in taxes? That the government "robs" more affluent  "liberal" states to give to states that b____ about the "liberal" government programs?

I love both states, but let's get real when we talk about who gets robbed. Rant over. Horns down. I apologize to all for falling prey to a political diatribe on a sports board.
Post your proof.  I can't see how that could possibility be true.  First, they pay for all their bureaucracies, then pay for wars of aggression that benefits no one other than the military industrial complex. And, we must pay for inflation resulting from excessive regulations, and deficit spending on social security, Obama care, welfare, etc.  That appears to makes your claim impossible. However, if you are just claiming the two mentioned A states receive a higher percentage than other states, I can believe that.

maxhog5

Quote from: hoglady on March 25, 2017, 12:49:45 am
Don't remind me.

Gardner because of who they ran off to get her.

rljjr

Who was the women's coach from 86-93 -- ish. There's no listing I can find on any of the UA pages or record books.

Dr. Starcs

grumpyoldboar

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

logic

Most everyone it seems is predicting who the next Ladyback basketball coach is. However, I suspect, none are correct and it will be a complete surprise.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: logic on April 02, 2017, 07:27:32 pm
Most everyone it seems is predicting who the next Ladyback basketball coach is. However, I suspect, none are correct and it will be a complete surprise.

Do you put effort into being so clueless, or does it just come naturally.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

tophawg19

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 02, 2017, 07:41:06 pm
Do you put effort into being so clueless, or does it just come naturally.
he is a grand master

Scott7703

Lol I honestly feel sorry for people like you logic. This hire has been a done deal for a couple weeks and many here have known it. Believe what you want.

Supermark101

If they're given academic scholarships, you might as well drop it as far as Title IX goes. You obviously  have no idea how it works

Quote from: logic on March 18, 2017, 06:02:36 pm.

You must not be very old to not remember  Kentucky before Patino and UNC between Dean and  Roy Williams