Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 20 on 247 (#11 on Scout)with 4 (4*) recruits

Started by Pig in the Pokey, March 17, 2017, 04:34:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

March 17, 2017, 04:34:51 pm Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:00:17 pm by Pig in the Pokey
http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

sweet! go hogs! 2 spots behind Bama with the same number of guys, for perspective.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawginbigd1

Cool shows the quality of our early commits, I figure we will be in 20-30 range in the final rankings with our 18-22 signees this year.

GoHogzzGo

Love it, coaches' hard work is showing.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Huds_HawgTide

Our average is better then seven teams above us including lsu
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

HoggusMaximus

this staff has started out strong for atleast 2 years in a row now, as long as we can keep these classes top 25 we will stay competitive.

ICEman

Didn't take Richt long to make a showing in Coral Gables.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ICEman on March 18, 2017, 07:57:25 am

When you don't have to get on a plane to do the majority of your recruiting it helps. Heck he could not even use a full tank of gas in his car and still get a top 10 class there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 18, 2017, 09:19:14 am
When you don't have to get on a plane to do the majority of your recruiting it helps. Heck he could not even use a full tank of gas in his car and still get a top 10 class there.
Knock it off, that doesn't fit the narrative.

Vantage 8 dude

Well just like investing in real estate to a great degree it still comes down to "location, location, location".

MuskogeeHogFan

It helps when you walk into a team that had averaged having a top 17 class the last 5 years. Richt isn't a bad coach and is probably from all reports, a really good guy, but if he employs the same strategy at Miami as he did at Georgia he'll generally always come in behind Clemson and Florida State and some years, other teams. Just like he did in the SEC most of the time.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

holeinthewall

March 20, 2017, 03:56:07 pm #12 Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:30:17 pm by holeinthewall
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2017, 12:35:45 pm
It helps when you walk into a team that had averaged having a top 17 class the last 5 years. Richt isn't a bad coach and is probably from all reports, a really good guy, but if he employs the same strategy at Miami as he did at Georgia he'll generally always come in behind Clemson and Florida State and some years, other teams. Just like he did in the SEC most of the time.

Are you talking recruiting strategy? Because there is a huge difference in recruiting at UGA and Miami.  State of Georgia on average has half the 5 and 4 stars as Florida does.  On top of that there are how many schools within 6 hours of Atlanta?   A lot   FSU, South Carolina, Clemson, GT, Florida, Auburn, Bama, Tenn   You know how many are that close to Miami. None.  Florida is the closest and it is right at 6 hours. At Georgia you have to fight every program for the talent knowing their parents can make the games.   South Florida kids for the most part would rather stay in Miami if their is a good staff in place.   Miami has 13 commits so far. Not one is from north of I-4.  There are at least 6 more South Florida kids that are 4 stars that will sign with Miami. That is 19 players within 4 hours of Campus.  No other program in the country has that amount of talent yet is so isolated from other programs. Huge advantage all Richt has to do is keep doing what he has been doing with the camps, the youth leagues and talking to families.

HogFoo

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 20, 2017, 03:56:07 pm
Are you talking recruiting strategy? Because there is a huge difference in recruiting at UGA and Miami.  State of Georgia on average has half the 5 and 4 stars as Florida does.  On top of that there are how many schools within 6 hours of Atlanta?   A lot   FSU, South Carolina, Clemson, GT, Florida, Auburn, Bama, Tenn   You know how many are that close to Miami. None.  Florida is the closest and it is right at 6 hours. At Georgia you have to fight every program for the talent knowing their parents can make the games.   South Florida kids for the most part would rather stay in Miami if their is a good staff in place.   Miami has 13 commits so far. Not one is from north of I-4.  There are at least 6 more South Florida kids that are 4 stars that will sign with Miami. That is 19 players within 4 hours of Campus.  No other program in the country has that amount of talent yet is so isolated from other programs. Huge advantage all Richt has to do is keep doing what he has been doing with the camps, the youth leagues and talking to families.
I always thought that if Petrino ever got to a program where he never had to worry about recruiting (since he hated to recruit) that he would be unstoppable!  if Petrino ever got to a texas, bama, florida, miami, etc..etc..  he would probably put on a winning streak that has not been seen.  Well that is, if he could stay out of the ditch long enough too.  im sure florida would have some pretty nice looking tan bodies and volleyball players .  haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ZERO

I remember a couple of years ago we were #6 early on with four 4* recruits, but we fizzled out to our normal spot because we couldn't maintain it. I expect this year will be similar, but I hope maybe we can finally finish #20 or higher.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

presidenthog

Quote from: ZERO on March 21, 2017, 10:56:29 pm
I remember a couple of years ago we were #6 early on with four 4* recruits, but we fizzled out to our normal spot because we couldn't maintain it. I expect this year will be similar, but I hope maybe we can finally finish #20 or higher.

This

But won't happen due to small # of recruits signed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: presidenthog on March 22, 2017, 12:17:43 pm
This

But won't happen due to small # of recruits signed.
who cares what the top 20 ranking is? i want to see average rating just like we are seeing now.
@Slackaveli

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

ZERO

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 22, 2017, 01:44:36 pm
who cares what the top 20 ranking is? i want to see average rating just like we are seeing now.

I'm not totally and completely a star gazer. When Cole Kelley committed, I couldn't remember being so happy for a 2* recruit, and I hoped he got no bump and no one else came looking for him. But all the same, I can't really deny that there isn't some correlation between the consistently best signed classes and the consistently best performing teams. Breaking into the top 20 would mean another couple 4* players each year on average. I won't discount that being a factor in elevating us from 7ish wins to 9ish wins on the mean. Especially if those recruits are at a spot of weakness every cycle.

Most importantly, I don't see top 20 as an unrealistic goal. If we just close out on a couple more of those big names we're on, then it's completely doable. We have to learn to maximize our potential on the trail if we're going to hope to make a splash in this conference, even if that potential is never going to be top 10.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

rljjr

Quote from: ZERO on March 22, 2017, 10:22:04 pm
I'm not totally and completely a star gazer. When Cole Kelley committed, I couldn't remember being so happy for a 2* recruit, and I hoped he got no bump and no one else came looking for him. But all the same, I can't really deny that there isn't some correlation between the consistently best signed classes and the consistently best performing teams. Breaking into the top 20 would mean another couple 4* players each year on average. I won't discount that being a factor in elevating us from 7ish wins to 9ish wins on the mean. Especially if those recruits are at a spot of weakness every cycle.

Most importantly, I don't see top 20 as an unrealistic goal. If we just close out on a couple more of those big names we're on, then it's completely doable. We have to learn to maximize our potential on the trail if we're going to hope to make a splash in this conference, even if that potential is never going to be top 10.

I think it's an incremental thing and we're trending in the right direction. The next step is turning those 4 4-stars into 8-10 and adding a crooked number in the Top 100 column.

While there are many 2 and 3 stars who turn into 4 and 5 star players on the field, the difference (to me) appears to be in the top 100-300 players in the country (not that I care about stars, but that enough people do enough evaluations on the difference makers).

We're getting there.

holeinthewall

Like I said in here last week Miami is going to lock down the kids they want out of South Florida.   Richt picked up 2 more of the top kids in South Florida yesterday. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 28, 2017, 06:32:01 am
Like I said in here last week Miami is going to lock down the kids they want out of South Florida.   Richt picked up 2 more of the top kids in South Florida yesterday.
a GENIUS hire if you think about it. A great recruiter known to be one of the wholesomest coaches there is and a proven winner in the hotbed of recruiting in the entire country but a place known for undisciplined thuggish players. Richt may get a Title there while molding men. Great pairing.
@Slackaveli

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 28, 2017, 02:54:21 pm
a GENIUS hire if you think about it. A great recruiter known to be one of the wholesomest coaches there is and a proven winner in the hotbed of recruiting in the entire country but a place known for undisciplined thuggish players. Richt may get a Title there while molding men. Great pairing.

Richt will have to learn to get out of his own way at Miami. From 2002-2006 Georgia averaged having the #6.8 ranked class in the country according to 24/7. 2007-2011-#7.6 2012-2015-#8.3

Those are highly ranked classes that brought a ton of talent to Georgia and he rarely got it done. Everyone knew he should have been winning more than he was. Now if he can recruit that well at Miami, he may stand a better chance given that he plays in the weaker of the two divisions in the ACC.
Go Hogs Go!

holeinthewall

He just got another commitment from Croc country.   Florida board is in meltdown mode after losing Reed to Miami.   That gives Miami 10 of the top 50 players in Florida with more to come.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: holeinthewall on April 05, 2017, 10:10:18 am
He just got another commitment from Croc country.   Florida board is in meltdown mode after losing Reed to Miami.   That gives Miami 10 of the top 50 players in Florida with more to come.

Good, if not going to Arkansas keep them out of the SEC
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 05:05:50 pm
Richt will have to learn to get out of his own way at Miami. From 2002-2006 Georgia averaged having the #6.8 ranked class in the country according to 24/7. 2007-2011-#7.6 2012-2015-#8.3

Those are highly ranked classes that brought a ton of talent to Georgia and he rarely got it done. Everyone knew he should have been winning more than he was. Now if he can recruit that well at Miami, he may stand a better chance given that he plays in the weaker of the two divisions in the ACC.

What is "getting it done" in your opinion? 

DefenselessNUN

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2017, 12:35:45 pm

Randomly in 2008 I got to hang out with Mark Richt while I was living in Destin, Florida (I just happened to become friends with some one of his high school friends) and he is one of the most genuine coaches I've met. The restaurant I worked at is where they held one of the dinners for when all the SEC was in town. Petrino was the least friendly of all the coaches by a long shot.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 05, 2017, 04:45:20 pm
What is "getting it done" in your opinion?

There is only on HC that gets it done each year.  Last year it was Dabo.  Fire Saban he lost a game. Fire Meyer he lost to Penn St.  No way that should have happened. Fire Patterson TCU had an awful year.  So I am with you on what is getting it done? Averaging 10 wins a year seems to be getting it done.  Richt also won more games in his last year at UGA then Kirby did in his first year.  Even though Smart inherited a team with 2 five star RB and a 5 star QB.

holeinthewall

And the class keeps getting better.  Picks up 2 TE one being a Michigan legacy and now a kid that had planned to wait until signing day to annouce is saying he may need to move that announcement up because the class is filling up.   

Hoggish1

Richt had it made at UGA, too.

The_Bionic_Pig

As a Florida resident I can verify Miami/FtLauderdale/WestPalm area produces enough elite football talent its ridiculous...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

King Kong

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 05:05:50 pm

He finished 3rd atleast twice. In today's world that would give him a Playoff shot and a chance to win it all.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: King Kong on April 23, 2017, 01:59:27 pm
He finished 3rd atleast twice. In today's world that would give him a Playoff shot and a chance to win it all.

Third place in the SEC probably isn't getting you into a 4 team NCG play off.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

guys look... I know we are all excited but we will end up number 25 in rank.

But as someone that knows football a little I promise you last years class was a top 15 class. CBB is getting it done.....

How do the NE patriots and Balt Ravens and Steelers always stay on top? they don't get the heist ranked draftees... they find the players that can play...

CBB is doing that... as much as I don't like him.. he is evaluating like a mofo. So when this draft class falls I want all you guys that will become forum kamikazes to remember this,

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 23, 2017, 06:36:56 pm
Third place in the SEC probably isn't getting you into a 4 team NCG play off.

Mark Richt finished 3rd in the country twice at UGA and 4th once.

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 23, 2017, 08:27:52 pm
Mark Richt finished 3rd in the country twice at UGA and 4th once.

How many times in the BCS/CFP era?