Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marquis Eaton (PG) Jonesboro - Back on the market

Started by Hawg Red, March 15, 2017, 07:52:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

I saw last night that Marquis Eaton re-opened his recruitment with Grant McCasland's departure from ASU to North Texas. I'd like to hear ricepig and HOGdayafternoon's thoughts on him as a potential fit for the Hogs with Zhaire Smith looking like a 50/50 shot.

All of the recruiting sites have him listed at 6'2 and between 160-170 lbs. We need a big man or a PG if we aren't going with Smith on the wing, I'd have to think. Not sure how much interest he received from Arkansas the first time around, but I think several players would have ended up Hogs had they been available in the late period (Dusty originally instead of Dee Wagner, Payton Willis, etc.). I don't really have any concept of what level of prospect he is right now with his senior year in the books.

skinnypig

if we can't get Smith, I would have no problem with us taking Eaton. The kid can flat out shoot, kinda reminds me of the Willis kid that went to Vandy

ricepig

He's good, but I haven't decided if he's major good. I wouldn't have a problem with them taking him, but I'd understand if they didn't. He's as good as some on the roster, shoots well, especially FT's, finishes well, not as good as Desi, and does a great job of running the offense. Swift said numerous times that it was easy to tell the few times he was in foul trouble and was missing. He's a PG, something I think is missing in the next two classes. I know Desi is suppose to slide over to it next year for Jonesboro.

Hawg Red

I kinda hope we go after Eaton if Smith falls through or in addition to him (if someone transfers). It'll be good to have a junior that's a true PG when Justice Hill is a freshman.

What's he looking like athletically?

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 10:37:42 am
I kinda hope we go after Eaton if Smith falls through or in addition to him (if someone transfers). It'll be good to have a junior that's a true PG when Justice Hill is a freshman.

What's he looking like athletically?

He's athletic, about 6'1"-6'2" with good hops.

drester77

I grow up and played with his dad... They are from West Helena. His uncle played for Iowa St. Howard Eaton. Now his sister is an elite baller!!!!

Razorod

Slightly off topic, but wonder if TJ Cleveland would be in the running for the A-State job?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorod on March 15, 2017, 12:30:00 pm
Slightly off topic, but wonder if TJ Cleveland would be in the running for the A-State job?

Not from any of the names I've heard mentioned.

skinnypig

asked Davenport via twitter if he thought we would offer him he said 'way to early to tell"

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: skinnypig on March 15, 2017, 02:20:20 pm
asked Davenport via twitter if he thought we would offer him he said 'way to early to tell"

Hogs coaches weren't aware of the situation until today, plus they are getting ready to play in NCAAT. With spring signing period only a month away, you can bet if the Hogs have any interest they will move quickly. Remember, they have offered Smith with only one 'ship to fill, so that also plays into this.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/842090344124715012

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 02:28:59 pm
https://twitter.com/Jason_Kilburn/status/842080024693993473

Of that list, LR and UNC-Asheville have re-offered Marquis (both offered him before he signed with ASU, in addition to Tulsa and Stetson). I have no doubt that high-majors will inquire, because this time of year needs and circumstances change for programs all across the country, thus kids who don't sign early (or end up seeking a release due to HC changes) often get attention from schools that passed earlier in the process.

parallaxpig

Lot of discussion we will lose two extra this year so coaches are looking for replacements.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hawg Red

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:04:45 pm
Lot of discussion we will lose two extra this year so coaches are looking for replacements.

Any discussion on who that might be? I have two names in mind.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 05:52:49 pm
It's not the obvious two (Macon&Barford)
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hawg Red

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:55:45 pm

Was thinking one of them and a little-used freshman.

RaisinHog

Please god no barford and Macon. . I would be cool with anyone else but not them

The Boar War

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:55:45 pm

I guess we could name every other underclassman or.........

ballinhog

Hope it's not Macon, Barford or CJ.

I'm guessing Hazen could be one? CJ is my other guess but I hope not

ShadowHawg

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:04:45 pm

Discussion from who?

No offense, but you said earlier that MA's firing was a done deal.

The_Iceman

Maybe one of Thomas or Cook will transfer to a D2 school.

ballinhog

Just from what I have read on Eaton and the highlights I've seen, it seems like he's a great point guard. So why is he so lightly recruited from the major schools?

Is he just one of those overlooked guys or is he not as high caliber as I seem to think he is? I mean I don't see many negatives with him. He's apparently a true point guard, led his team to an undefeated season, long, athletic, good shooter and at times a high volume scorer, seems to be a great ball handler and passer, yet the big name schools don't seem to be beating his door down.

What am I missing? Or maybe he really is big time and just overlooked somehow

skinnypig

While watching video of Eaton today.  I was impressed with Jonesboro sophomore Kyle Moore kid could grow into a beast  check him out on YouTube

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 15, 2017, 05:59:54 pm
Was thinking one of them and a little-used freshman.

Good programs have freshmen every year who are little used but they have potential and are many times red shirted.  So unless this little used freshmen is not practicing hard or is not a good teammate it is not time to count him out especially if he is a taller player.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 15, 2017, 10:05:54 pm
Good programs have freshmen every year who are little used but they have potential and are many times red shirted.  So unless this little used freshmen is not practicing hard or is not a good teammate it is not time to count him out especially if he is a taller player.

I'm not counting anyone out. But I fully understand the landscape of 2017 college basketball and the transfer culture. I'm not looking at it as a necessity but rather an eventuality.

eric_mullins34

I attended every JHS home game and a few away this year (my niece plays for the girls team). Marquis has a great motor and is tenacious on D. I'll admit I know nothing about how his game will translate to the next level but it was clear he was the leader of this team. I think he'd be a great addition to this signing class and fit in perfectly with our up tempo system if Smith doesn't work out.
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

poloprince

Quote from: ballinhog on March 15, 2017, 08:06:04 pm
Hope it's not Macon, Barford or CJ.

I'm guessing Hazen could be one? CJ is my other guess but I hope not

I can assure you it isn't Daryl
$PoLoPrInCe$

NWAHog479

Looks WAY better than the five foot miracle Justice Hill

The Hogfather

hdturner

If we want Final Four we need get more 4 stars players not players on Sunbelt level. I want players in Top 150.

Razorpigg

HawgTide

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 16, 2017, 09:24:19 am
Looks WAY better than the five foot miracle Justice Hill

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttt

mhuff

What about Memphis area PG that plays with Moss. Anyone know his status?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: mhuff on March 16, 2017, 02:16:00 pm
What about Memphis area PG that plays with Moss. Anyone know his status?

Alex Lomax, c/o 2018, has several high-major offers but not a Hog offer.

hogwood

Hawg Red

Quote from: hdturner on March 16, 2017, 10:06:50 am
If we want Final Four we need get more 4 stars players not players on Sunbelt level. I want players in Top 150.

It takes all kinds. You think if Kentucky makes it to the Final Four, Dominique Hawkins won't have played a big role? Hell, do we make the NCAA tournament without former walk-on and almost-Missouri State Bear Manny Watkins? We're talking about the late period here. We're on a good 4-star player in Zhaire Smith for a our final open scholarship. But if that doesn't work out, it's not like there is a never-ending line of 4/5-star players waiting at this point. Players like Eaton routinely end up being very valuable players. I saw a good number of them playing well in the NCAA tournament yesterday and will again today. Now, if he's not really a true point guard, then they should probably try to find a big man if Smith falls through. But if he's really got what it takes to be a good PG, then I'd be all for the Hogs signing him. He'd have a year or so to learn the system and develop before he'd get real playing time. He was signed by a pretty good coach at ASU. There are plenty of Sun Belt players that could play for bigger programs.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 17, 2017, 01:33:33 am
Were on him for awhile. Might just depend on who they hire, but might not even let him out of NLI if he's signed. If we somehow pulled that off, we'd be legit legit! And would solve out woes at the 4

NLI is out the window. He was a freshman for Indiana this year.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ballinhog on March 15, 2017, 08:54:03 pm
Just from what I have read on Eaton and the highlights I've seen, it seems like he's a great point guard. So why is he so lightly recruited from the major schools?

Is he just one of those overlooked guys or is he not as high caliber as I seem to think he is? I mean I don't see many negatives with him. He's apparently a true point guard, led his team to an undefeated season, long, athletic, good shooter and at times a high volume scorer, seems to be a great ball handler and passer, yet the big name schools don't seem to be beating his door down.

What am I missing? Or maybe he really is big time and just overlooked somehow

I don't know the young man and am not trying to insinuate anything but sometimes it's not always about one's athletic ability.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on March 17, 2017, 08:45:41 am
Don't want him coming off an injury

The injury he suffered was not serious at all. He'd be fine to play even if he didn't have to sit out a year, which he would have to do.

The_Bionic_Pig

You guy's have pretty much covered what circumstances & timimg that would dictate offers to either him or Transfer's.

1. Zhaire Smith decision

2. Possible Transfers (scholarship availability)which I've heard no hints of on the current roster.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 17, 2017, 07:48:40 am
It takes all kinds. You think if Kentucky makes it to the Final Four, Dominique Hawkins won't have played a big role? Hell, do we make the NCAA tournament without former walk-on and almost-Missouri State Bear Manny Watkins? We're talking about the late period here. We're on a good 4-star player in Zhaire Smith for a our final open scholarship. But if that doesn't work out, it's not like there is a never-ending line of 4/5-star players waiting at this point. Players like Eaton routinely end up being very valuable players. I saw a good number of them playing well in the NCAA tournament yesterday and will again today. Now, if he's not really a true point guard, then they should probably try to find a big man if Smith falls through. But if he's really got what it takes to be a good PG, then I'd be all for the Hogs signing him. He'd have a year or so to learn the system and develop before he'd get real playing time. He was signed by a pretty good coach at ASU. There are plenty of Sun Belt players that could play for bigger programs.

Just curious, where is he a 4 star?

King Kong

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 17, 2017, 07:48:40 am

I do not think we can get a 4/5 star here at Arkansas in the late signing period unless we have a big  IN with his family but there is lots of kids that could help us at the 4/5 spots in the 3 star category who signs with the mid Majors like Wichita State who could help us in 2 or 3 years particularly since we have NO players on this team who are legitimate 4's right now on this team.   We have a bunch of combo 3/4's or stretch 3's some call them on the team but no real 4's.    I am talking about those guys 6'7+ 240+ lbs who love to mix it up down low.  All of our guys have small frames who get out muscled against the bigger teams we play. 

Nolan started winning when he had 3 or more BIGs who where 240+ and loved to push and shove on the inside.  It not only helps us in games but it also helps us to prepare for our bigger opponents in practice.   I love some of the guys Mike is signing but why he does not sign more  taller, muscular athletic 4/5's I do not understand.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 21, 2017, 12:00:58 pm
I do not think we can get a 4/5 star here at Arkansas in the late signing period unless we have a big  IN with his family but there is lots of kids that could help us at the 4/5 spots in the 3 star category who signs with the mid Majors like Wichita State who could help us in 2 or 3 years particularly since we have NO players on this team who are legitimate 4's right now on this team.   We have a bunch of combo 3/4's or stretch 3's some call them on the team but no real 4's.    I am talking about those guys 6'7+ 240+ lbs who love to mix it up down low.  All of our guys have small frames who get out muscled against the bigger teams we play. 

Nolan started winning when he had 3 or more BIGs who where 240+ and loved to push and shove on the inside.  It not only helps us in games but it also helps us to prepare for our bigger opponents in practice.   I love some of the guys Mike is signing but why he does not sign more  taller, muscular athletic 4/5's I do not understand.

One and done.

There  aren't many of those guys to begin with and one and done allows them to get immediate playing time at basketball royalty type schools.

daprospecta

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 21, 2017, 04:14:42 pm
One and done.

There  aren't many of those guys to begin with and one and done allows them to get immediate playing time at basketball royalty type schools.
You might find a guy that is tall and muscular but he will be a project to get him to consider signing here.

Big Nasty 34