Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stephan is Awesome

Started by PigWig, March 11, 2017, 09:25:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigWig

For those that missed it, starting pitcher Trevor Stephan had one of the best performances I've seen from an Arkansas starter in years.

He had a perfect game going in the sixth inning until Shaddy missed an easy play at second for an error. A seeing eye single just under the glove of our 3B was the only hit he allowed through 8 innings. In the 9th back to back errors allowed the game to be tied on two unearned runs. Arkansas won, but unfortunately Stephan did not get the win.

His final line for the evening was: 8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 13 Ks

It was a dominating performance as he was consistently hitting 93-95 MPH with his fastball and baffling hitters with his breaking ball. The Campbell injury really sucks because a 1-2-3 of Campbell, Knight, Stephan might have been the best rotation in the SEC, despite their lack of preseason accolades.

For the season, Stephan is now 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA, 0.71 WHIP, 12 K/9, and is allowing opponents to hit just .120 against him. This kid has a big league arm, and I wanted to give him a shoutout this morning.

SPAL

Yes.....It was as dominant as I've seen since jess Todd. A shame he got a Nd but it doesn't take away from his effort.

PigWig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 11, 2017, 10:02:54 am
Yes.....It was as dominant as I've seen since jess Todd. A shame he got a Nd but it doesn't take away from his effort.
I was thinking Smyly, but it might have been as good as we've seen since the Schmidt-Todd-Welker years.

HogFansReunited

His performance last night was a thing of beauty. I hate that he didn't get the win because he definitely deserves it.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

pigture perfect

I hadn't seen that since Stanyk. Great job.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pig Papi

His dad lurks on this board.

I know he is proud.

hound

He should be proud. He gets better each outing.

HognitiveDissonance

Saw Stephan earlier in one of the February games. Had a very good outing.
What really impressed me was the off speed pitch. That was the 'out' pitch that day. For about two innings, it was completely baffling the batters. One guy finally sat on it and belted one of them over the wall, but combined with a 91mph fastball the offspeed pitch was lethal.

bulldog04

I like how he pitches from the stretch.  Keeps it simple and doesn't change anything when runners are on base.  This should be taught more at the younger levels IMO.  I've seen it hundreds of times where a guy is cruising and then he has to pitch out of the stretch and isn't comfortable

PintailKiller

That was a great performance.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

YtownHog

Didn't Killian lose like a 1 hitter once? Maybe I dreamt that. Either way, heck of a performance by Stephan.  He didn't deserve that outcome.

onebadrubi

Quote from: YtownHog on March 11, 2017, 09:31:00 pm
Didn't Killian lose like a 1 hitter once? Maybe I dreamt that. Either way, heck of a performance by Stephan.  He didn't deserve that outcome.

I remember something like this as well. 

ricepig

Quote from: YtownHog on March 11, 2017, 09:31:00 pm

Against Vandy, in Nashville, if I remember correctly. I think he was on a pitch count, and came out.

bulldog04

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2017, 08:07:16 am
Against Vandy, in Nashville, if I remember correctly. I think he was on a pitch count, and came out.
This is what I was thinking.  He had been injured and it was his first start back and didn't have the pitches left to finish it

PintailKiller

Got shafted by the SEC for POW for OM P David Parkinson in my biased opinion.
8.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 9 Ks DP
8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 13 Ks TS

Numbers actually pretty close except Ks.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

PigWig

Quote from: PintailKiller on March 13, 2017, 12:34:54 pm
Got shafted by the SEC for POW for OM P David Parkinson in my biased opinion.
8.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 9 Ks DP
8.1 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 13 Ks TS

Numbers actually pretty close except Ks.
Unless Ole Miss went up against a very good ream, that is a ripoff.

PintailKiller

Quote from: PigWig on March 13, 2017, 01:39:50 pm
Unless Ole Miss went up against a very good ream, that is a ripoff.

Played Furman