Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watch Future Razorbacks play today at 3:30 on KARZ

Started by Lanny, March 10, 2017, 06:12:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

FearlessFriday brings all the State Finals on KARZ today starting at 3:30 with El Dorado vs Jonesboro

Yesterday Daniel Gafford in practice touched his head on the rim, never seen a 6"11" high school player jump as high as Gafford
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Razorod

Looking forward to Gafford being a Hog! Hopefully we get him for three years.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ricepig

coach, my back hurts

Just got done watching the game.  Jonesboro is very good team with good guards.  There main point guard is headed to ArkSt.  Was impressed with him.  Would love see Jonesboro and Mills play.

Didnt see too much out of Desi.  He had a good 2nd half hit a 3 and got a few assists.  Commentators said that Jonesboro HC will most likely move him to a score first point guard next year.  Looks like a solid player tho.  Nothing flashy, just a steady player.  If he develops into a PG he could be a good one.  Not real tall.  Maybe 6'0 or so (i dont know what he's listed at)  Anton Beard would probably be a fair comparison.  Both being lefty's also.  I think Desi is a better athlete than beard and potential to be a better shooter.

I really liked Gafford's aggressiveness around the rim.  I dont care that he was a half foot taller than the next tallest player, when he got the ball down low, he had bad intentions.  I dont know if we've ever had a post player with that mentality.  Very athletic, runs well, and a quick jumper.  Unbelievably long arms.

Leaving Isiah Joe as the only future Hog i havent seen, if everyone returns for next year, no pro's and no transfers, i would expect Gafford to start with rest coming off the bench. 

Beard           Macon?    Glasper?
Macon          CJ Jones or Garland
Barford         CJ Jones or Hazen or Garland or Hall
Gafford         Thomas or Hazen or Hall
Thompson     Thomas or Hazen

I think next year we have the ability to play a whole lot of different lineups.  I think we have primarily relied on 8 guys this year.  I think that number could be 9 or 10 next year, depending on how much CJ and Hazen improve and what Garland and Hall bring to table.

ricepig

Desi is 6'1", and he will play PG next year, or that's the plan. He let's the game come to him, he can score, and will be required to score more next year. I don't see him taking 24 shots like Perry did tonight, especially if he's only hitting 9 as Czar did. Why they didn't feed it to Gafford  every trip, I don't know.

JayHog

I didn't notice Desi that much in the first half. As a result, El Dorado actually went into halftime with a 1 point lead.
But in the second half with the score tied 36-36, Jonesboro went on a 14-0 run to pull away and that run way TOTALLY led by Desi Sills. I think he had about 10 of those 14 points himself. He was stealing the ball, hitting 3's, hitting layups. He went on a tear, and that run was the difference in the game.

orgkeith

Pinto

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on March 10, 2017, 07:15:05 pm
Just got done watching the game.  Jonesboro is very good team with good guards.  There main point guard is headed to ArkSt.  Was impressed with him.  Would love see Jonesboro and Mills play.

Didnt see too much out of Desi.  He had a good 2nd half hit a 3 and got a few assists.  Commentators said that Jonesboro HC will most likely move him to a score first point guard next year.  Looks like a solid player tho.  Nothing flashy, just a steady player.  If he develops into a PG he could be a good one.  Not real tall.  Maybe 6'0 or so (i dont know what he's listed at)  Anton Beard would probably be a fair comparison.  Both being lefty's also.  I think Desi is a better athlete than beard and potential to be a better shooter.

I really liked Gafford's aggressiveness around the rim.  I dont care that he was a half foot taller than the next tallest player, when he got the ball down low, he had bad intentions.  I dont know if we've ever had a post player with that mentality.  Very athletic, runs well, and a quick jumper.  Unbelievably long arms.

Leaving Isiah Joe as the only future Hog i havent seen, if everyone returns for next year, no pro's and no transfers, i would expect Gafford to start with rest coming off the bench. 

Beard           Macon?    Glasper?
Macon          CJ Jones or Garland
Barford         CJ Jones or Hazen or Garland or Hall
Gafford         Thomas or Hazen or Hall
Thompson     Thomas or Hazen

I think next year we have the ability to play a whole lot of different lineups.  I think we have primarily relied on 8 guys this year.  I think that number could be 9 or 10 next year, depending on how much CJ and Hazen improve and what Garland and Hall bring to table.

Desi's defense is dramatically better than Beard's. And as mentioned, Desi let's the game come to him and doesn't force as much as Beard. I think Desi has the potential to be more of the Pat Beverly type than the Anton Beard type.

Pinto

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2017, 08:06:05 pm
Desi is 6'1", and he will play PG next year, or that's the plan. He let's the game come to him, he can score, and will be required to score more next year. I don't see him taking 24 shots like Perry did tonight, especially if he's only hitting 9 as Czar did. Why they didn't feed it to Gafford  every trip, I don't know.

Czar is a very talented player but as a true basketball fan, he is more frustrating to watch than exciting. He has no IQ when it comes to the game and his coach has none either. Your team has no depth and you have the most dominant player in the state down low. Instead of slowing the tempo and allowing your depth-less team to rest on offense, you come down and selfishly chunk up a 3 or play isoball before Gafford can manage to make it down the court and catch his breath. This is why you tend to see Gafford very gassed and frustrated at times. Daniel will be an absolute beast when he gets the proper training & conditioning and not have to play a whole game...

JayHog

After watching Czar play, he's a ball hog. Also had several dumb turnovers. He a high point average due to the sheer number of shots he puts up. I'm not sold on him.

Pinto

Quote from: JayHog on March 11, 2017, 08:53:59 am
After watching Czar play, he's a ball hog. Also had several dumb turnovers. He a high point average due to the sheer number of shots he puts up. I'm not sold on him.

And I don't think the average fan understands Czar benefits from the attention Gafford demands from the defense. All of the help side defense is catered to Gafford.