Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Names I would like to see considered

Started by flippinhogmana, March 05, 2017, 08:35:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog63

I understand that Gary Blair is working on an extension at A&M so it might be a little longer before it opens up.

beringer62

Scott7703

redleg

Jeff Long doesn't even need to leave the state of Arkansas to find his next women's basketball head coach, when Joe Foley is sitting in Little Rock and Sandra Rushing is in Conway.
Go get one of them (preferably Foley), and let them rebuild the program into what Gary Blair had it headed to before that buffoon, Bev Lewis, fired him, ala academic elitist John White!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Scott7703

Quote from: redleg on March 16, 2017, 11:49:11 am
Jeff Long doesn't even need to leave the state of Arkansas to find his next women's basketball head coach, when Joe Foley is sitting in Little Rock and Sandra Rushing is in Conway.
Go get one of them (preferably Foley), and let them rebuild the program into what Gary Blair had it headed to before that buffoon, Bev Lewis, fired him, ala academic elitist John White!

You will not be happy if you want one of those two.

outlawhogeywells

better hire someone quick.  The whole team is transferring

Scott7703

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on March 16, 2017, 03:20:06 pm
better hire someone quick.  The whole team is transferring

What if the hire is still coaching?

Mr. Porkleone

With team bailing, a serious rebuild is in order and a top notch coach may be hard to land

Porked Tongue

psycHOGlogist

Lots of hand-wringing about next year's potential roster. It's not pretty, but it's not a complete vacuum, either.

Graduation/no more eligibility:

Cooley
Jackson

Departures we know about:

Danberry - at semester
Smith - "medical retirement" in fall
Freeman - at semester
Wilson - announced intent to transfer this week, does not yet have release (and won't until coach is hired)

Rumored departures:

Cosper - on track to graduate, had expressed desire to go somewhere else with immediate eligibility (as a graduate) before Dykes was fired. Unknown what her current intention is. Could it depend on coach?

Ratliff - Widely viewed as intending to transfer after redshirting this year, at least before Dykes was fired. Unknown what her current intention is.

Williams - rumor is that she was homesick and intended to head back to Little Rock. Have no idea if that was real, an excuse to leave Dykes' program, or what. Maybe go either way?

Players remaining on roster:

Monk
Swenson
Zimmerman
Mason
Stout

Signees:

Grayce Spangler - may be rehabbing knee in fall?
Macy Weaver - incoming post; will be the only player over 6'1" on roster

Unknown:
Spring signees, transfers that new coach might be able to bring in. As noted in another thread, UA track star Taliyah Brooks's sister Mercedes is transferring out of Kansas State and has Arkansas on her list of possible destinations. She's a 5'11" wing from Texas.

If all the "maybe's" leave, next year is going to be epically bad unless we get some quality new additions to roster. If some of them stay, we will still be very much behind the 8-ball next year, but we'll have some puzzle pieces to give the new coach.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 17, 2017, 12:22:43 am
Lots of hand-wringing about next year's potential roster. It's not pretty, but it's not a complete vacuum, either.

Unknown:
Spring signees, transfers that new coach might be able to bring in. As noted in another thread, UA track star Taliyah Brooks's sister Mercedes is transferring out of Kansas State and has Arkansas on her list of possible destinations. She's a 5'11" wing from Texas.

If all the "maybe's" leave, next year is going to be epically bad unless we get some quality new additions to roster. If some of them stay, we will still be very much behind the 8-ball next year, but we'll have some puzzle pieces to give the new coach.

Transfers must wait a year unless they graduate so any transfer will most likely not help next year.

flippinhogmana

True, but until she transfers, Wilson has eligibility next year-here.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 17, 2017, 07:58:26 am
Transfers must wait a year unless they graduate so any transfer will most likely not help next year.

Very good point. Unless they are like Cosper (reportedly) and have graduated. JUCO's are the only ones who could come in and play under normal circumstances.

psycHOGlogist

March 22, 2017, 09:54:31 am #113 Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:48:26 pm by psycHOGlogist
The University of Illinois, one of the other Power 5 conference teams with a WBB coaching vacancy, is apparently set to hire a very successful DIII coach.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/mens-basketball/2017-03-22/whitman-set-make-another-hire.html

Despite her enormous success at a small school, I can't help questioning this one. Her connection to the new AD is clearly what got her the job. But I'm glad that Illinois did not snag someone who was potentially a candidate for us.

Updated to add: It's now official.

http://fightingillini.com/news/2017/3/22/fahey-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=wbball

nwahogfan1

I love these names but have they proven themselves on the biggest stage?  Have they recruited 4 and 5 star athletes who can beat the top 5 teams in the SEC?  Hard to say if they are the right choices or not.  So many who jump from coaching D2 to D1 do not last long mostly I think because they do not have the contacts to recruit at that level. You can not win consistently with out STARS.  If UALR played in the SEC they would finish in the bottom tier not because of coaching but because of lack of STUDS. 

So I ask again how do we know if these coaches can recruit 4 and 5 star ladies or the higher rated players who can win in the SEC?   

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 22, 2017, 09:54:31 am
The University of Illinois, one of the other Power 5 conference teams with a WBB coaching vacancy, is apparently set to hire a very successful DIII coach.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/mens-basketball/2017-03-22/whitman-set-make-another-hire.html

Despite her enormous success at a small school, I can't help questioning this one. Her connection to the new AD is clearly what got her the job. But I'm glad that Illinois did not snag someone who was potentially a candidate for us.

May work but a huge risk.  Do we want to take that big of risk?  I hope not.  Lets pay for a proven successful coach at the D 1 level if we can get one then work our way down.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 19, 2017, 09:39:50 am
Very good point. Unless they are like Cosper (reportedly) and have graduated. JUCO's are the only ones who could come in and play under normal circumstances.

Exactly.   Maybe we can go get one or two Senior transfers especially some bigs but if not maybe we can go get transfers who have to sit a year but will really help us after that.  I do not think our odds are good to rebuild this program in one year.  It will take a couple years unless of course we hire the right coach who can change a few ladies minds from transferring and who can bring in a couple difference makers in the spring.  Right now I just do not see it but it could happen.

psycHOGlogist

An rumored update on Florida's search - a name that was mentioned somewhere on this board (I think), perhaps even in this thread?

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/21/15003670/sources-becky-hammon-finalist-florida-ncaaw-nba

Will be interesting to see if Hammon wants to step off the NBA career ladder and move into college coaching. Not sure who the other two candidates are. I had speculated about Vic Schaeffer moving to work for his old boss (Stricklin) who is now AD at UF, but I have no idea if that's in play.

riccoar

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 22, 2017, 10:51:20 am
An rumored update on Florida's search - a name that was mentioned somewhere on this board (I think), perhaps even in this thread?

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/21/15003670/sources-becky-hammon-finalist-florida-ncaaw-nba

Will be interesting to see if Hammon wants to step off the NBA career ladder and move into college coaching. Not sure who the other two candidates are. I had speculated about Vic Schaeffer moving to work for his old boss (Stricklin) who is now AD at UF, but I have no idea if that's in play.
This is the kinda of hire Arkansas needs to be looking at.  If your trying to keep talent already on the team and lure an instate recruit from going to UCONN, you most likely don't do that with an up and comer hire.

hogsfan31

If Florida hires Becky Hammon I will be PISSED!!!

If they are able to hire her, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to hire her, IF she wants to step into the college game. That's a big IF I think.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hogsfan31 on March 22, 2017, 01:07:47 pm

If they are able to hire her, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to hire her, IF she wants to step into the college game. That's a big IF I think.

Can she recruit? Can she have good relationships with college players? There's more to college coaching than a big name, as we have recently learned. I think it's a win-the-news-conference kind of hire, but a pretty decent-sized gamble, if they make it happen.

Before I get upset, I'll just wait to see who we bring in. If it's more like the Illini hire, I'll join you in being angry.

Scott7703

Quote from: hogsfan31 on March 22, 2017, 01:07:47 pm

Maybe she isn't who Arkansas wants. You have no more clue than I do what kind of head women's college coach she would be. Arkansas has pinpointed experienced women's college coaches for this job.

hogsfan31

Maybe she isn't who Arkansas wants. I do know Arkansas has screwed the pooch several times when it comes to the Women's Basketball program. We screwed over Gary Blair, then we screwed up by hiring Jimmy Dykes who had no business being a head coach anyways of any program. All the head coaches that spoke out regarding his hire, were all right.

IMO, and this doesn't mean a darn thing to anyone, you at least offer Becky Hammon some kind of offer. She's been successful st every level of this game and is highly regarded by some of the best coaches in the NBA. She shows no reason she can't be successful at this level as well. I know a lot goes into coaching at the college level and it's more than just a big name. I just don't see how you can go wrong, and it looks like neither does Florida's AD. According to reports, she's considering the lucrative offer they have made her so there has to be some interest to coach the college game or she wouldn't be considering the offer.

maybe she doesn't want to coach college and has no desire and she will turn down any offer made to her. If she happens to accept it and coach college and doesn't amount to a thing, I'll come back and eat some crow.

psycHOGlogist

She's never recruited anyone. I mean, she is a star player and she knows the game - no question.

But you just don't see you it could go wrong? Really? I can think of about 3 ways without even trying too hard.

She can play the game, but can she teach it to college women?
Can she recruit star players?
Can she manage a staff?

The answers to all those questions might be "yes," but it's not like we know all that for sure. (And we didn't know them with Dykes, either, I'd point out, and the answers were "No," "Not for long," and "Hell no.")

hogsfan31

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 24, 2017, 01:13:25 pm
She's never recruited anyone. I mean, she is a star player and she knows the game - no question.

But you just don't see you it could go wrong? Really? I can think of about 3 ways without even trying too hard.

She can play the game, but can she teach it to college women?
Can she recruit star players?
Can she manage a staff?

The answers to all those questions might be "yes," but it's not like we know all that for sure. (And we didn't know them with Dykes, either, I'd point out, and the answers were "No," "Not for long," and "Hell no.")

lol she's coaching the game to grown men. I think she could coach it to college aged women. She manages an NBA roster every summer for the past couple of years and other assistant coaches, Not sure that would translate over to managing a college staff.

As far as recruiting, to me this would be the largest question mark. You're talking about a woman who has had great relationships on multiple levels of the game with a lot of important people, but that doesn't always equate to being able to coach young women, which can be quite the challenge lol. I could see her being just as great if not better than Dawn Staley, but time would have to tell.

Another reason we probably aren't in a position to offer her is because we need someone proven to come in here and build some type of stability here and preferably for a while. I'm not sure Becky would stay in the college game as long as some schools would want her to. She's always said her dream is to be a head coach in the NBA, the first chance she had to get closer to that I'd think she would take the opportunity and leave college ball.

Of course everything discussed here is all hypothetical bc we don't have answers to any of those questions.

I can agree with you though that it would prob be better to hire someone with experience that we know can build something solid here after the dumpster fire it's been these past few years.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hogsfan31 on March 24, 2017, 01:32:36 pm
lol she's coaching the game to grown men. I think she could coach it to college aged women.

This is literally the mistake (well, one of them) that I think we made in hiring Dykes - "coaching: it's all the same!" Having coached boys and girls (in volleyball, not basketball), it's extremely different. Just my $.02, though.

I'm also not sure that she "manages an NBA roster," though to be perfectly fair I'm not clear on exactly what her duties are. I'm sure there are a lot of challenges to keeping NBA egos satisfied, no matter where you on the staff.

If she wants to get into college coaching, and really set her mind to being good at it, I bet she'd be great. But maybe not right away. I think hiring her directly to a Power 5 HC job is a gamble. It's one that could really pay off, though.

I'm just eager for the hire to happen already. I mean, I think I understand why it hasn't, but that doesn't make waiting for it to go down any more fun.

hogsfan31

I'd love to have Mike Neighbors here as well.

psycHOGlogist

hogsfan31

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 24, 2017, 01:42:14 pm
This is literally the mistake (well, one of them) that I think we made in hiring Dykes - "coaching: it's all the same!" Having coached boys and girls (in volleyball, not basketball), it's extremely different. Just my $.02, though.

I'm also not sure that she "manages an NBA roster," though to be perfectly fair I'm not clear on exactly what her duties are. I'm sure there are a lot of challenges to keeping NBA egos satisfied, no matter where you on the staff.

If she wants to get into college coaching, and really set her mind to being good at it, I bet she'd be great. But maybe not right away. I think hiring her directly to a Power 5 HC job is a gamble. It's one that could really pay off, though.

I'm just eager for the hire to happen already. I mean, I think I understand why it hasn't, but that doesn't make waiting for it to go down any more fun.

I can agree with you on that. Maybe she wouldn't be great at coaching it to college aged women, it would definitely be a gamble. It's definitely one that the University can't afford to take at this point since they failed miserably at the last one and it literally burned the program to shambles.