Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogdayafternoon or Iceman

Started by dawn2tusk, March 03, 2017, 02:55:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dawn2tusk

Ardrio Bailey, Rodgerick Brown, and Darious Hall.  Please compare and contrast.  I don't have anything against them other then they seem to be so similar.  Too many bodies trying to get the same playing time.  I know you both have stated you see Hall as more of a wing/3 which is great.  Bailey and Brown both seem destined to be stretch 4's right?  Throw in Henderson and Hazen and I start having a hard time making sense of it.

OnTheHillHogFan

Hall and Brown's perimeter game are farther along than Bailey's. They will both be wings who can play the 4 at times. Bailey could possibly play on the wing at some point but he needs to improve his ball handling before he can do that.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Iceman

https://youtu.be/cx9FdCmj4Lw

Darious Hall has the ball skills of a guard. Much more of a perimeter player than can go inside when needed. He is a true small forward and not an undersized 4.

https://youtu.be/6ShCBfBYXw0

Rodgerick Brown does not quite have the smooth ball handling of Hall, but he is better at other things. He has more Manny Watkins qualities from what I have seen, in terms of defense and scrappy around the rim. But at 6'6", he is more of the size we need in that role. He is also a true small forward, but with different skills than Hall that would allow him to play the 4 in smaller lineups alongside someone like Hall at the 3.

Adrio Bailey is way more raw than these 2 in terms of basketball skills. He needs more experience and development. Hall and Brown are way more polished basketball players. While both are good athletes, Bailey is Elite in that category. However, I don't think Bailey will ever consistently play the 3 in our system. He is more Alandise Harris than Michael Qualls.

Hope that helps.

The_Bionic_Pig

Brown will body you in a second just as Qualls use to do....he possess that aggressiveness...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

nwahogfan1

March 05, 2017, 09:30:42 pm #4 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:12:01 pm by nwahogfan1
Instead of going after so many players who play the stretch 3 position and would drether not play the 4 spot why don't we sign a True POWER forward who is big enough and strong enough to play the 4 or the 5.   For us to be consistent at winning on those nights when we are not shooting the ball well we need 3 or 4 guys on our team who we can sub in with the size, weight and power  to play on the inside.   We need that depth to add toughness in practice and games.   I love Gafford and Thompson is ok but that is all we have next year who are legitimate 4/5's  who have that size to really help us to win a SECC.   Sorry but Thomas, Cook , Bailey or any one else on our roster are not really true 4s.    They don't want to play there either.  They would much drether play on the outside.  There are lots of 4s we could sign who could add something different to this team like big bodies and toughness in practice and games but instead we sign another SF or SG who sits the bench because we have 5 more who also play that spot.

I am still hoping for more size to be added on this team.

JayHog

I'm really hoping we get Rodgerick Brown. He's actually the one guy I have always hoped for. We need a gritty player like that that's tough and a straight up rebounding machine. Put him with Gafford, and our low block scoring/rebounding/blocks are taken care of over the next several years. 
And I never worry about us not being deep enough at the guard position.  That would really set our future on the course we've been waiting for

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayHog on March 05, 2017, 09:40:07 pm
I'm really hoping we get Rodgerick Brown. He's actually the one guy I have always hoped for. We need a gritty player like that that's tough and a straight up rebounding machine. Put him with Gafford, and our low block scoring/rebounding/blocks are taken care of over the next several years. 
And I never worry about us not being deep enough at the guard position.  That would really set our future on the course we've been waiting for

Agree 100%. Love what he brings to the table.

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 05, 2017, 09:30:42 pm
Instead of going after so many players who play the stretch 3 position and would drether not play the 4 spot why don't we sign a True POWER forward who is big enough and strong enough to play the 4 or the 5.   For us to be consistent at winning on those nights when we are not shooting the ball well we need 3 or 4 guys on our team who we can sub in with the size, weight and power  to play on the inside.   We need that depth to add toughness in practice and games.   I love Gafford and Thompson is ok but that is all we have next year who are legitimate 4/5's  who have that size to really help us to win a SECC.   Sorry but Thomas, Cook , Bailey or any one else on our roster are not really true 4s.    They don't want to play there either.  They would much drether play on the outside.  There are lots of 4s we could sign who could add something different to this team like big bodies and toughness in practice and games but instead we sign another SF or SG who sits the bench because we have 5 more who also play that spot.

I am still hoping for more size to be added on this team.

Mike has recruited some true PFs in recent years, they just haven't signed with us.

Also, there aren't that many true low block PFs and Centers anymore. Henderson and Perry are both 6'9" guys, but neither really play inside. They are versatile players that can due multiple things on the court.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: dawn2tusk on March 03, 2017, 02:55:40 pm
Ardrio Bailey, Rodgerick Brown, and Darious Hall.  Please compare and contrast.  I don't have anything against them other then they seem to be so similar.  Too many bodies trying to get the same playing time.  I know you both have stated you see Hall as more of a wing/3 which is great.  Bailey and Brown both seem destined to be stretch 4's right?  Throw in Henderson and Hazen and I start having a hard time making sense of it.

Sorry, meant to respond sooner but have been busy ...

* Adrio Bailey is a 6-6 combo-4 in Hog's system, needs to improve handles & perimeter shot to be able to play the 3.

* I've only seen Rodgerick Brown in person once, but plenty of highlights -- he plays in and around the lane, gobbling up boards, dunking, getting putbacks, etc. I've never really seen highlights of him playing on the wing or facing even in the mid-range. He might be another 'tweener at 6-6 who plays that combo-4 spot. He's listed as a SF, but he plays mostly around the basket.

* Darious Hall ... handles are good, perimeter shot getting better, he's a SF/wing who will be a perfect fit at the 3. Hogs have not had a 3 since Michael Qualls, so Hall -- who's 6-6 w/7-foot wingspan -- is a welcome addition.