Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 JUCO PF Makol Mawien

Started by hogwood, March 02, 2017, 11:15:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Heard we are taking a look at this guy. Former top 150 player according to Scouts in 2015. Signed to Utah. Doesn't look like he ever played. 6'9" 220 with handles and speed. I'm interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmgvCFSSEqk

http://247sports.com/player/makol-mawien-54489

batmanfan

Looks like he redshirted his first yr at Utah?  Wonder if he'd be classified as a soph?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

hogwood

Quote from: batmanfan on March 02, 2017, 11:45:38 pm
Looks like he redshirted his first yr at Utah?  Wonder if he'd be classified as a soph?

Not sure about the history there. He is listed as JUCO class of 2017 so I would guess he'd come in with as a junior with 2 years to play.

Razorod

From what I can tell, he'd be a RS Sophomore with three years to play three.

RS his freshmen year at Utah and then is playing this year at NM JC.

He appears to be a system fit big (F/C) who would be a nice compliment to Thompson/Gafford in 17-18 and then Gafford/Perry in 18-19.

If Gafford were to bolt after his sophomore year, he'd still have a year left as a fifth year senior and could pair well with Perry and Henderson in 19-20.

This could be a nice get.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

I was wondering when we would see that backup Center recruit pop up. Need someone behind Gafford in 2018-2019.

navyhog24

I like this kid. He can block shots, rebound, shoot the rock, has good handles for a guy his size, and can run the floor. I hope we have offered and can get him. He would be a steal this late.

The Hogfather

Definitely looks good on the court.  Who all is in the picture for him?  That might tell the story.

Hogimus Prime

Looks like he would be a good fit. 

hogwood

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 03, 2017, 08:48:03 am
Definitely looks good on the court.  Who all is in the picture for him?  That might tell the story.

Not sure. Not much on him. He was offered by BYU, Gonzaga, Utah, and Utah St out of HS (from Utah).

dawn2tusk

he looks 6'9" like Arlando Cook looks 6'9"

The_Iceman

Quote from: dawn2tusk on March 03, 2017, 03:00:37 pm

Gotta love those inflated heights by our Arkansas recruiting gurus.

kaki

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 03:31:37 pm
Gotta love those inflated heights by our Arkansas recruiting gurus.
some of you sound like a broken record, whining and bellyaching about heights or whether 40 times are accurate.  They can either play or they can't.  Surely there is something more interesting to discuss!

dawn2tusk

This is my 6th post so I can't be too much of a broken record.  Oftentimes whether they can play or not depends on those couple of inches.  A 6'9" post is usually more effective then a 6'7" post.  I think Nolan even said one time he'd rather have good big players instead of good small players.  Something like that.  I also fully acknowledge Corliss was 6'7" so there's definitely exceptions to the rule.  This kid may be a solid Cody Clarke like contributor down the road.  We'll see.

FineAsSwine

6' 7" or 6' 9", this guy has serious handles for his size and can play inside out. Would love to get him. If the staff is ok with his size, that's the most important thing because that means he fits their needs according to their evaluation.

Just hope he is ready to contribute right away because we need to shore up the 4/5 spots.

zebradynasty

I dunno he looks like he really is close to 6'9"!

orgkeith

Corliss was 6-5 1/2 without shoes

Hogimus Prime

Most guys are not their listed height.  They are usually an inch in a half shorter than what they are listed at, but that measurement is barefoot and no one plays barefoot

hogwood

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 03, 2017, 06:05:44 pm
I dunno he looks like he really is close to 6'9"!

Yeah it doesn't look like a lie that's for sure.

nwahogfan1

How tall do they play is all that matters.

RealHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 04, 2017, 02:44:39 pm
How tall do they play is all that matters.

Amen, just watch Grant Williams at Tennessee. 6-5 and plays post better than any 6-10+ guy in our league.

Hollywood870

The_Bionic_Pig

He measured 6'9 w/ shoes at the Nike Skills Academy 3 yrs ago.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 05, 2017, 08:49:47 am
He measured 6'9 w/ shoes at the Nike Skills Academy 3 yrs ago.

I like 6'9 ish players added to this team who can play both the 4 or the 5 spot. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2017, 06:12:03 am
I was wondering when we would see that backup Center recruit pop up. Need someone behind Gafford in 2018-2019.
Totally agree with you.  We need more length and muscle added to our front court.  We are not going to consistently beat top 20 teams with out a inside game and that takes bigs who are 6'8+, 240+  who are tough, physical and more talented than our current group.  Our 4s are probable the weakest position on this team.

hogwood

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 05, 2017, 09:40:22 pm
I like 6'9 ish players added to this team who can play both the 4 or the 5 spot.

If someone transfers we should get Smith and this guy - or someone like him.

RealHog

Quote from: hogwood on March 06, 2017, 08:27:16 am
If someone transfers we should get Smith and this guy - or someone like him.

Seems like Best case scenario right now. Zhaire is certainly intriguing, and we need some post length. Really just some viable depth options at the 4. DT and Cook are graduating next year.

RealHog

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: RealHog on March 04, 2017, 05:43:42 pm
Amen, just watch Grant Williams at Tennessee. 6-5 and plays post better than any 6-10+ guy in our league.

I guess you never seen Texas A&M play. He is good but he aint the best post player in the league.

navyhog24

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2017, 08:32:22 am
I guess you never seen Texas A&M play. He is good but he aint the best post player in the league.

He's better than any of our useless 4's.