Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tevin Mack transferring from Texas.....

Started by davehog, February 28, 2017, 10:03:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

I wonder if Mike Anderson would have any interest in Tevin Mack.  He was Texas's leading scorer, 6'7", 220 lb. from Columbia, SC. He was a 4* recruit.

Does anybody know if there was mutual interest with him out of high school?  He has been suspended from the team since January, but details as to why are not clear.

This is intriguing but South Carolina is the likely destination. 

ShadowHawg

He was the reason they stayed close late in the game with us.

Hawg Red

Why would we want someone who essentially got kicked off that team?

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 01, 2017, 06:35:44 am
Why would we want someone who essentially got kicked off that team?

Kicked off by Smart who had a terrific relationship with Mack in the recruiting process

Something bad had to happen for it to come to this

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on March 01, 2017, 08:07:28 am
Kicked off by Smart who had a terrific relationship with Mack in the recruiting process

Something bad had to happen for it to come to this

Yep. Mack was originally committed to VCU and followed Smart to Texas. Mack could be a Demarre Carroll-type for the Hogs, but I don't want to be Second Chance U. There are plenty of other programs for that.

The_Iceman

He would essentially be a part of the 2018 class. I would take him if his attitude is right. He's a real talent and would fit perfectly.

Basically like adding a JUCO player.

azhog10

Obviously Mike would need to do his background work. It was interesting to see him get susepended bc he was Shaka's guy.

hogwood

I was interested in him when he was released from VCU, but he quickly followed Smart to TX. Seems like he's gone sour now. Definitely could be a top talent though and he is perfect for our system.

HardingHog

From watching him in the game against us and then getting suspended/kicked off the team; the kid's a punk. He's a really talented basketball player, but he seems to be a bad seed. If he can stay out of trouble he'll be a great for a team, but that seems to be a big if

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

The_Bionic_Pig

FYI he just recently became friends on Twitter with a current player on the roster...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 02, 2017, 01:01:35 pm
FYI he just recently became friends on Twitter with a current player on the roster...

Hope it happens. Would be a solid addition in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/188458/tevin-mack

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2017, 01:06:50 pm
Hope it happens. Would be a solid addition in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/188458/tevin-mack

Certainly some question marks of the court. But the kid can play. I could get behind it

Hawg Red

Would have to trust Anderson's judgment on this one if we pursue. But from a basketball perspective, it's an awesome fit.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 02, 2017, 01:01:35 pm

Sounds silly but those things can be indicative. Which one?

HardingHog

Letsroll1200

If we can get him Ill take him. That 2018 incoming class would be crazy with somebody like Tevin Mack.

The_Iceman

navyhog24

Bama is really loading up. They'll be pretty solid the next coupe of seasons. Avery Johnson is really proving to be one heck of a recruiter.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

HoopS

Fine athlete who I have exactly zero percent interest in. Maybe he will get the right disciplining from Avery. But this quote was spot on...

Quote from: poloprince on March 02, 2017, 08:20:04 am
Not naw, but hell naw

The_Iceman

Bama is gonna be loaded with talent. They have the #4, #29, and #91 ranked players coming in next year. Along with 3 stars 6'7" SG and 6'10" Center. Their class is ranked 6th overall and 2nd in the SEC.

We are 7th in the SEC and 36th nationally, despite what many call a solid class. A lot of that is from 247 dropping Garland considerably in the rankings down to a 3-star #164.

Hawg Red

It will be interesting to see if Avery can get as much out of his recruits as Anderson has shown to get out of his at Arkansas. Moses Kingsley, Michael Qualls, Manny Watkins, Jabril Durham, Anthlon Bell, and Dusty Hannahs are all players you could argue out-played their initial rankings under Anderson. That tells me that Coach can develop players in his system. We don't always give him that credit, but he deserves it. That's why it's so exciting that he is recruiting at a higher level right now (we can debate how true this statement really is but recruiting is up). Lot of headaches come with recruiting multiple 5-star/high, high 4-star players. Anderson avoids that because he rarely gets a 5-star and he doesn't get too many high 4-stars, let alone 2-4 of them on the same team. I've re-calibrated my standards for what I consider a "good" recruiting class for Anderson. I think he has 3 great recruiting classes when you line up 2016/2017/2018. He can succeed with these players. What is "succeed?" That's something else we can debate later. For me, I'm talking second weekend of the NCAA tournament.

But, back on subject, Avery Johnson is appears to be building a winner. Recruiting well and he's kept them competitive both seasons while building the foundation. He guy can coach. I said in Jumpball that it was a great hire for Bama at the time while others were skeptical based on lack of college experience + how his NBA career ended. But if you have any familiarity with Avery Johnson, you know he's a better fit for the college game. His firm, disciplinarian ways can be applied in college. The SEC is due at any time now to become a strong, strong basketball conference. I like Arkansas is a big part of this and I'm not scared that the competition is getting tougher. We're equipped. Other schools are looking at Arkansas and seeing a tough opponent. Exciting times.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2017, 09:24:56 am
It will be interesting to see if Avery can get as much out of his recruits as Anderson has shown to get out of his at Arkansas. Moses Kingsley, Michael Qualls, Manny Watkins, Jabril Durham, Anthlon Bell, and Dusty Hannahs are all players you could argue out-played their initial rankings under Anderson. That tells me that Coach can develop players in his system. We don't always give him that credit, but he deserves it. That's why it's so exciting that he is recruiting at a higher level right now (we can debate how true this statement really is but recruiting is up). Lot of headaches come with recruiting multiple 5-star/high, high 4-star players. Anderson avoids that because he rarely gets a 5-star and he doesn't get too many high 4-stars, let alone 2-4 of them on the same team. I've re-calibrated my standards for what I consider a "good" recruiting class for Anderson. I think he has 3 great recruiting classes when you line up 2016/2017/2018. He can succeed with these players. What is "succeed?" That's something else we can debate later. For me, I'm talking second weekend of the NCAA tournament.

But, back on subject, Avery Johnson is appears to be building a winner. Recruiting well and he's kept them competitive both seasons while building the foundation. He guy can coach. I said in Jumpball that it was a great hire for Bama at the time while others were skeptical based on lack of college experience + how his NBA career ended. But if you have any familiarity with Avery Johnson, you know he's a better fit for the college game. His firm, disciplinarian ways can be applied in college. The SEC is due at any time now to become a strong, strong basketball conference. I like Arkansas is a big part of this and I'm not scared that the competition is getting tougher. We're equipped. Other schools are looking at Arkansas and seeing a tough opponent. Exciting times.

Success to me is year in year out 1st-4th place in the sec regular season. If the conference has prestige that should get us ranked and higher seeds in the tournament. 

As far as the tournament, I want to see us win the whole thing one year, and I would argue we're capable.