Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are the Hogs on anyone in the upcoming signing period?

Started by ShadowHawg, February 21, 2017, 04:19:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

I know that they tend to be quiet about recruiting in general but it seems like we have heard next to nothing lately.

Are we on some previously underrated guys that they aren't wanting to draw attention to?

I'll hang up and listen.

Hawg Red

Cleveland is in Florida tonight to watch PG Kaleb "K.J." Fitzgerald.

The_Iceman

We need someone to back up Gafford when Thompson graduates.

Razorod

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2017, 07:03:43 pm
We need someone to back up Gafford when Thompson graduates.
In Anderson's system, Reggie Perry can give us minutes in the paint. But, we do need at least one more.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Van Boarisson

Keep an eye on Chris McNeal. Plays for Indian Hills JUCO, played his Freshman year at WKU. From the Memphis area.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Van Boarisson on February 21, 2017, 08:32:16 pm
Keep an eye on Chris McNeal. Plays for Indian Hills JUCO, played his Freshman year at WKU. From the Memphis area.

He's from Jackson, TN, where Jaylen Barford is from. He's buds with both Barford and Macon. Agree that he is one to keep an eye on.

hogwood

Quote from: Van Boarisson on February 21, 2017, 08:32:16 pm

So he went to Western Kentucky for a year and then went to JUCO? Never heard of anyone doing that. Would that happen if you just flunk out and need to get grades back up? Also what does that do to his eligibility? I think that would make him a one year player... Maybe I missed something. Fill me in if so.

klp1

McNeal & 2 other players were suspended from the team & the Coach was fired .... guess it was time to move on...

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on February 22, 2017, 09:04:18 am
So he went to Western Kentucky for a year and then went to JUCO? Never heard of anyone doing that. Would that happen if you just flunk out and need to get grades back up? Also what does that do to his eligibility? I think that would make him a one year player... Maybe I missed something. Fill me in if so.

It happens fairly often and usually is not related to academics. You give up the year of eligibility by playing in JUCO but you can increase your value and have a longer period of recruitment. He won't have to sit out because he transferred down and played as a sophomore.

Richard Davenport

KJ Fitzgerald was a guy they were looking at but that's it. Nothing is going to happen there.

ShadowHawg

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 22, 2017, 09:36:46 am
It happens fairly often and usually is not related to academics. You give up the year of eligibility by playing in JUCO but you can increase your value and have a longer period of recruitment. He won't have to sit out because he transferred down and played as a sophomore.

Oh interesting. Seems like a clever thing to do.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 22, 2017, 03:37:38 pm
Interesting. Thought he looked pretty good. Coaches just moving in a different direction or position? What's your take, RD?

Remember interest can mean evaluation and nothing more. Arkansas looks at numerous prospects in football and basketball but it doesn't mean they're highly interested and about to offer.

I usually try and wait to report on guys that Arkansas has strong interest in. There was another PG that the Hogs were supposdely interested in, but after checking with sources there was no interest.

Kevin McPherson

Hog coaches are not going to fly across the country the nite before an SEC gm to see a player they don't have some level of interest in. They travel to watch plenty of prospects who may NEVER get an offer -- most won't -- but if they are going out of their way to visit a kid who has multiple high-major offers, it's always worthy of reporting.

raz1965

I tend to agree with Hogday, he did get the first info out on the Florida kid, good video, great info Hogday, that's a long way for coaches to drive without good reason to check into a kid.

hogwood

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on February 25, 2017, 02:52:52 am
Hog coaches are not going to fly across the country the nite before an SEC gm to see a player they don't have some level of interest in. They travel to watch plenty of prospects who may NEVER get an offer -- most won't -- but if they are going out of their way to visit a kid who has multiple high-major offers, it's always worthy of reporting.

Agree. Either way I appreciate the reporting. Just knowing that they are looking in a certain direction is good info for fans. I love to hear about new names.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: raz1965 on February 25, 2017, 06:51:31 am
I tend to agree with Hogday, he did get the first info out on the Florida kid, good video, great info Hogday, that's a long way for coaches to drive without good reason to check into a kid.

swinesation

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on February 21, 2017, 11:04:50 pm
He's from Jackson, TN, where Jaylen Barford is from. He's buds with both Barford and Macon. Agree that he is one to keep an eye on.

Looks like he went to the same HS as Barford, meaning they were teammates??

raz1965

Yes FineAssSwine I now see that I misspelled Fly, I should use the spell checker more often.