Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU Riding Wave of Record Fiscal '16

Started by Seminole Indian, February 12, 2017, 05:54:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

A-State spent  $43.1 million according to article by Troy Schulte in today's ArkansasOnline.

ASU's athletic spending rose to a record $43.1 million in fiscal 2016, an increase of almost $14 million or 47.6 percent from fiscal 2015, and it has grown from $16.3 million in fiscal 2013, according to documents ASU is required to file annually with the NCAA.

The rise in spending could put ASU at the top of the Sun Belt Conference. According to USA Today, ASU's $29.2 million of expenses ranked third in the Sun Belt in 2015. Texas State was first at $34.5 million.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/feb/12/asu-riding-wave-of-record-fiscal-16-201/
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

HogCzar1

I saw this in the paper today. Thanks for posting this. Several of us were curious as to how the AD was confident in these increases. It appears these were a result of the donations for the facilities upgrade from some of the key big donors. Thus he knew of these at the time of his statements.

Several other schools such as Texas A&M have reported large one time gains as a part of overall facilities upgrade. However, these increases were not to any large degree the result of increased ticket sales to be fair.

The basketball coach at ASU has done one of the better coaching jobs in the country this year. They have had a nice turnaround and are a threat to win the league and the league tournament.

ricepig

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 12, 2017, 07:38:28 pm
I saw this in the paper today. Thanks for posting this. Several of us were curious as to how the AD was confident in these increases. It appears these were a result of the donations for the facilities upgrade from some of the key big donors. Thus he knew of these at the time of his statements.

Several other schools such as Texas A&M have reported large one time gains as a part of overall facilities upgrade. However, these increases were not to any large degree the result of increased ticket sales to be fair.

The basketball coach at ASU has done one of the better coaching jobs in the country this year. They have had a nice turnaround and are a threat to win the league and the league tournament.

Yeah, if they don't raise $14M next year, like in this period for a project, will they be back to $29M?

HogCzar1

That's likely correct. Texas A&M had a large one time increase to renovate Kyle Field. In order to maintain that level they would need to raise the same amount next year. In other words one time gifts like the $5 million from Mr. Allison would need to be yearly gifts not one time gifts.

The revenue gains from ticket sales and premium seating would come nowhere near $13-14 million a year.

ricepig

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 12, 2017, 08:14:14 pm
That's likely correct. Texas A&M had a large one time increase to renovate Kyle Field. In order to maintain that level they would need to raise the same amount next year. In other words one time gifts like the $5 million from Mr. Allison would need to be yearly gifts not one time gifts.

The revenue gains from ticket sales and premium seating would come nowhere near $13-14 million a year.

Hey, hopefully they can continue to raise some money and not burden their students.

Seminole Indian

February 13, 2017, 07:11:37 am #5 Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:07:11 am by Seminole Indian
Well at least now we now know how they made that 40 million budget their AD promised.

As far as whats next, I expect their athletic budget will continue to be among the best in SBC, and if they continue to win maybe the best.

Helps that they are getting their men's basketball program going.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne