Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You guys seen this? He even makes a tackle or two at Linebacker. Only a soph.

Started by Hollywood870, February 10, 2017, 06:03:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

The one where he takes the short pass to the house after making about six guys miss is fun to watch.

jackflash

3kgthog

Quote from: jackflash on February 11, 2017, 06:27:12 pm
I think he a guy would could findly gives a deep threat

He doesn't have D. Reed speed if that's what you're hoping for.

How bad is the competition he was playing against? It looked like they played several teams with 5'5" DBs and 225 lb linemen.

bennyl08

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 11, 2017, 06:35:05 pm

How bad is the competition he was playing against? It looked like they played several teams with 5'5" DBs and 225 lb linemen.

Most receivers in the NFL don't have D. Reed speed. 4.4 speed is more than enough to be able to take the top off a defense.

Jeffrey and Robinson didn't run fast at the combine. Both are deep threats. Brandon Marshall I think is the closest size/speed comparison to Martin.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

colbs

In JUCO he played some really good competition.  Brandon Martin might not have Domnique Reed speed but Jordan Jones does.

HogMantheIntruder

I'll take great hands and a good work ethic over a .1 second faster 40 time any day of the week. It remains to be seen if he has that, but Reed sure didn't.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Slimac4

King Kong

You prefer underarmour all Americans?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fWKqDbMLKZU"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NotSoFastMyFriend

You just can't stop yourself can you? No facts just unfounded opinions, huh?

Razorpigg

Fail

Potosihog

I don't know 3kgthog's history so there may be good reason for the response he has gotten.  However, if you couldn't see the lack of talent on the green team in the hudl I don't know what to tell you.  I was more impressed by his play against the team in red. 

This would have to be one of the toughest parts of recruiting.  As a coach you are not just looking for who has the best "score it every time you touch it" highlight reel.  You are trying to determine how a player's game (size, speed, skill) will translate into the college game at an SEC level.

I am excited about Brandon being on our team.  Looks like a great get.  And it doesn't diminish that excitement to admit that most of that hudl vid was made against teams that were woefully deficient of talent.

Beavthompson

Quote from: Potosihog on February 15, 2017, 06:42:19 am
I don't know 3kgthog's history so there may be good reason for the response he has gotten.  However, if you couldn't see the lack of talent on the green team in the hudl I don't know what to tell you.  I was more impressed by his play against the team in red. 

This would have to be one of the toughest parts of recruiting.  As a coach you are not just looking for who has the best "score it every time you touch it" highlight reel.  You are trying to determine how a player's game (size, speed, skill) will translate into the college game at an SEC level.

I am excited about Brandon being on our team.  Looks like a great get.  And it doesn't diminish that excitement to admit that most of that hudl vid was made against teams that were woefully deficient of talent.
[/quite]
It's an account somebody made to post negative comments and backhanded compliments.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

bennyl08

The absolute best HS conference in the country would still get slaughtered by virtually any JUCO team. Same way the final score for the Cleveland Browns v Alabama Crimson Tide would be something like 70-10 in the Browns favor.

Point being, there isn't a college recruit in the country, be it HS or JUCO that isn't head and shoulders better than their competition. Anybody who thinks that what a player does in highlight tape is a 1:1 translation to what they will do in the SEC is fooling themselves or simply doesn't know any better.

There are only a few things that tape can show you. 1. How fast and agile are they relative to the field itself? 2. How strong are they compared to their competition? 3. What level of technique and fundamentals do they show? 4. How well do they play the game at that level?

For 1: You can't look to see if they are pulling away from the other players on the field. You look to see how fast they move down the field itself. How quickly do they explode off the line or how quickly do they accelerate.

2. Strength is the hardest to objectively gauge from highlight tape. However, you can see how they do vs competition. For example, does the RB actually break tackles in HS, or do they just truck the player for some extra yards? While not always the case, typically, if they are breaking tackles in HS, they will be able to truck players in college. If they can't break the tackle in HS and can only truck the player, they may not be able to even truck in college as is. Obviously, players bodies and physical abilities change over time so that has to be factored in, but you can't predict the future. Can only comment on the information available in the present and comment on the possibilities of the future under different scenarios. For an OL, are they able to throw down the opposing players or at least move them at will? Or are they just strong enough to block them at the HS/JUCO level at which point they may not currently be strong enough at all to block in the SEC.

3. Do they use raw athleticism to get by in HS, or do you see the qb planting his feet before the pass, the DL player using their hands well, receivers running crisp routes, etc... This can be a bit of a double edges sword. On the one hand, the player who just uses raw athleticism to play the game is going to be a bit of a developmental project at the next level. There's a lot of refining to be done. Technique needs to be second nature and that takes time. On the other hand, you don't want a player that's already peaked. If they are using great technique in HS, how much room do they have to grow?

4. This is a bit of a catch-all here. Not sure how to explain other than in t he form of examples. For a RB, do they just have wide open holes to run through, or are they having to find/make their own small holes to get yards? The college game will be much faster, but if they struggle to find the hole in the slower HS game, it doesn't bode well for college. If they've never had to work hard to find/make a hole, then it becomes an unknown. For a qb, throws under pressure and/or to tight windows. Was he clean in the pocket to throw, or was he often under pressure? Did he just need to throw the ball in the general area of a wide open receiver, or did he need to be accurate. Did the receiver catch in stride or have to adjust? Does the DB have run support highlights? Does the DL sniff out a screen or string a run out to the sideline or does he just get penetration? Etc...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

King Kong

I don't know 3kgthog's history so there may be good reason for the response he has gotten.

Feel free to look.

GolfnHog

I don't know 3kgthog's history so there may be good reason for the response he has gotten. 

Apparently many years ago he got toxic shock syndrome and there's never ever been enough Summer's Eve to help him get out the funk he wallows in.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"