Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what tees?

Started by GolfNut57, February 10, 2017, 11:31:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

With the PGA I automatically assume they play from the tips in their weekly tournaments. But what about the Sr PGA/Champions tour? Or the LPGA? Or in the minor tour events such as the Nike or whatever it is called. Do they all play from the tips? Just something I was always curious about.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 10, 2017, 11:31:31 am
With the PGA I automatically assume they play from the tips in their weekly tournaments. But what about the Sr PGA/Champions tour? Or the LPGA? Or in the minor tour events such as the Nike or whatever it is called. Do they all play from the tips? Just something I was always curious about.

Pretty sure the women do NOT play from the tips.  All you have to do is look up the course where they are playing a given week and then go to that course's website.  You'll see that while the course usually plays to 7,000+ yards, the women are playing it at something just above 6,000.

Not sure about the Champions Tour but I'd assume they get a break on the yardage too.  I KNOW they get a break as far as course set up, pin positions, etc. over the younger guys.

Web.com and other men's mini tours usually play from the tips just like the PGA tour guys do.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 11:55:37 am
Pretty sure the women do NOT play from the tips.  All you have to do is look up the course where they are playing a given week and then go to that course's website.  You'll see that while the course usually plays to 7,000+ yards, the women are playing it at something just above 6,000.

Not sure about the Champions Tour but I'd assume they get a break on the yardage too.  I KNOW they get a break as far as course set up, pin positions, etc. over the younger guys.

Web.com and other men's mini tours usually play from the tips just like the PGA tour guys do.

Well, to be honest, the PGA doesn't play every hole from the tips. Take #16 at Phoenix last week, it played from 129 yards to 162 yards.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 12:40:14 pm
Well, to be honest, the PGA doesn't play every hole from the tips. Take #16 at Phoenix last week, it played from 129 yards to 162 yards.

You are correct sir.  Almost every PGA tournament has at least a couple of holes that they'll move the tees around during the week. 

And no, you can't use that first sentence for your sig line.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

waphill

The PGA has a setup guy and an agronomist that take complete control of the course a month from the tournament. The agronomist will start coming around about 6 months before, making suggestions and throwing his 2 cents in. When it's a month out, you're not allowed to do anything without the agronomist signing off on it. Everything from cutting height, fungicide app's, to how you maintain the bunkers must be approved. The course closes for play during this time.

The setup guy goes out after each round and sprays a spot of paint where each tee and cup are to be placed for the next day. The event I worked, he moved them around a lot. Most of the holes at least 2 of the tee boxes were used during the tournament. If you stray from either of these guys' recommendations, you risk not getting your check from the PGA. It was a lower tier event that I worked, and they paid the course $400k to host.