Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just called DTS and told them no to firing Mike Anderson

Started by forrest city joe, February 08, 2017, 06:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

Quote from: cityhog on February 08, 2017, 11:18:25 pm
This is the fan I never understood. It was just so blatantly obvious that a)MA was a mediocre coach. His record indicated as much. B) Jeff Long caved to the sentimental fan base and did NOT conduct a national search like he promised he would.

But hey, you guys got EXACTLY what you wanted and six wasted years later, here we are. This whole season makes me mad as spit because it reminds me of how disappointed I was in the hire in the first place.

I cannot wait until we can bury this ridiculous sentimentality for all things 'hawgball' '40 minutes of hell' #fastest40, etc etc. Name the court after Nolan and let's move on for the love of god. Please. Let's move on.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think the Pelphrey years put me in a basketball coma.  I was willing to ignore the warning signs about Mike because I was desperately clinging to the hope that he would bring good basketball back to Arkansas.  Six years later we've had one good year, one bad year and a bunch of years in between.  I'm still waiting for the Elite 8's and Sweet 16's.  I want him to be successful because he seems like a great human being, but sadly he is just an average basketball coach.

cityhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 11:22:47 pm
It is an Arkansas thing. We, as a state, pine for the way things were in just about everything.
Agreed. And it's nauseating.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 08, 2017, 06:35:38 pm
The show does not sound good for Mike from any of the three.even Rick has a tone of sadness in his voice.so you fire Anderson guys may get your wish.but it will not change how i feel about it.it will be a big mistake that will sit this program back even more years.Long needs to keep Mike Anderson.if he fires him it's the wrong move.STAND STRONG JEFF.
So, two more years, eh?
Funny, that's what you said in 2014---three years ago.

"And you will have every right too. but you won't because Mike is on the way to getting this mess fixed. 2 more years is what he needs."

The year before that, 2013:
Yes. Mike needs 1 more full year after this year to have this program a top 25 program again. may not happen this year, but good things are coming.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 08, 2017, 07:38:05 pm
Something like this?

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011
Yes, according to FCJ, we should hold the program hostage otherwise we wouldn't get Malik Monk:

Get better players like Nolan did so it won't matter.with Mike as coach, i think we get M. Monk. no Anderson, no Monk

Just the facts. there is a reason Marcus Monk is hanging around Razorback basketball.we are getting his little brother if Mike is still the coach here. we will not get him if Mike is not. do you want players like Monk. or do you want to start over yet again?

I will take it. get other good players around him that one year, and the sky is the limit. UA must get Monk. and if Mike is the coach we will get him.

The world will obviously come to an end if MA is not the coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Fast forward to 2017. Now the program is being held hostage by the 2017 and 2018 recruits. According to FCJ, no Mike, no recruits.

Newsflash. No one man is bigger than the program.
Time for the hostage situations to come to an end.

HognitiveDissonance

This is all you ever need to know about FCJ and how he feels. Past, present, or future.

As Long as you support Mike as coach, im good.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 08, 2017, 11:03:52 pm
I think we all know the real reason FCJ is hanging on to Mike but wanted to fire pel and has an agenda against the football coach. Maybe it's the elephant in the room and nobody wants to touch it.....But you gotta know it's the reason.
Of course we know. But it's always deny, deny, deny.
As Nolan said once "Even a blind man can see that, Billy."

pigture perfect

I still like mike. He would be fun to hang out with. He would make a great hunting buddy. He knows how to be calm and quiet.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LZH

Quote from: rude1 on February 08, 2017, 10:49:09 pm
Just curious Joe, say we do fire Mike, are you willing to give the next coach 8 years to get things turned around?

^^^^^^    +10000

c-townfan

I think we all know the real reason FCJ is hanging on to Mike but wanted to fire pel and has an agenda against the football coach. Maybe it's the elephant in the room and nobody wants to touch it.....But you gotta know it's the reason.

Exactly. Such a double standard.

cosmodrum

No one cares what you do with your anytime minutes, Joe.
Go away, batin'

Wild Bill Hog

razorpimp

WOW what great recruiting classes!!!!  Geez yea great reason to keep the street baller

Pork Twain

The show does not sound good for Mike from any of the three.  Even Rick has a tone of sadness in his voice.  You fire Anderson guys may get your wish,and my feelings are liable to flip on a dime, like they did with Pel.  Keeping MA will be a big mistake that will set this program back even more years.  Long needs to fire Mike Anderson. If he retains him it's the wrong move.  STAND STRONG JEFF.
Best post you have ever had on this board
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

latrops

This is the fan I never understood. It was just so blatantly obvious that a)MA was a mediocre coach. His record indicated as much. B) Jeff Long caved to the sentimental fan base and did NOT conduct a national search like he promised he would.

But hey, you guys got EXACTLY what you wanted and six wasted years later, here we are. This whole season makes me mad as spit because it reminds me of how disappointed I was in the hire in the first place.

I cannot wait until we can bury this ridiculous sentimentality for all things 'hawgball' '40 minutes of hell' #fastest40, etc etc. Name the court after Nolan and let's move on for the love of god. Please. Let's move on.

Before coming here, he was in the NCAAT in six of his 8 prior years.  Excluding his first 2 years at Mizzou, and he won 21+ every year as a head coach.  His track record was fine at the time he was hired.  Why he sucks here is the big mystery.

Pork Twain

Quote from: latrops on February 09, 2017, 05:40:35 am
Before coming here, he was in the NCAAT in six of his 8 prior years.  Excluding his first 2 years at Mizzou, and he won 21+ every year as a head coach.  His track record was fine at the time he was hired.  Why he sucks here is the big mystery.
He has struggled here because he has been exposed for the coach that he really is.  This is his longest coaching tenure and he has never shown that he can achieve a high level of success and maintain it.  At UAB, he was a big fish in a little pond.  At Mizzou, he was small fish in a medium pond and here he is a small fish in a big pond and that is saying a lot, as bad as the SEC is in basketball right now.  His OoC schedule saved him in the Big-12 and SEC.  Now that we have a couple of average to above average teams on our OoC schedule, he is exposed more often.

Seriously though, based on chart below, why does anyone really expect him to compete here?  I will continue to post this in every thread that pops up, because I think trend analysis is significant and this trend is not good for us.  Also the easiest way to combat someone that just posts the same thing over and over again is to do the same.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 08, 2017, 08:13:16 pm
Disagree.2 more years.

I am 82 years old.  If you can get my doctor to guarantee me two more years I will agree with you.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Kevin

that is what I have been saying.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

1highhog

The show does not sound good for Mike from any of the three.even Rick has a tone of sadness in his voice.so you fire Anderson guys may get your wish.but it will not change how i feel about it.it will be a big mistake that will sit this program back even more years.Long needs to keep Mike Anderson.if he fires him it's the wrong move.STAND STRONG JEFF.

So then FCJ, what's the difference,  if we keep MA it'll keep setting the program back further and further than its ever been, or, they fire him and there's a big chance that the next coach we hire can actually Coach, something that MA has never been really good at.  I know MA is the end all be all of coaches to you and you would love to keep him around even if we didn't win a single game a year, but it would be inside a cavernous Bud Walton Arena.  We've got to turn this program around,  MA has never been the one to do it, he's had way to long already, I wish nothing but the best for my beloved team, and firing MA is the best thing to do and I hate it but I'd go ahead and even wait till the seasons end to do so.

Hawg Red

RIP Forrest City Joe

Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 08, 2017, 07:38:05 pm
Something like this?

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 08, 2017, 11:45:12 pm
So, two more years, eh?
Funny, that's what you said in 2014---three years ago.

"And you will have every right too. but you won't because Mike is on the way to getting this mess fixed. 2 more years is what he needs."

The year before that, 2013:
Yes. Mike needs 1 more full year after this year to have this program a top 25 program again. may not happen this year, but good things are coming.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 08, 2017, 11:50:54 pm
Yes, according to FCJ, we should hold the program hostage otherwise we wouldn't get Malik Monk:

Get better players like Nolan did so it won't matter.with Mike as coach, i think we get M. Monk. no Anderson, no Monk

Just the facts. there is a reason Marcus Monk is hanging around Razorback basketball.we are getting his little brother if Mike is still the coach here. we will not get him if Mike is not. do you want players like Monk. or do you want to start over yet again?

I will take it. get other good players around him that one year, and the sky is the limit. UA must get Monk. and if Mike is the coach we will get him.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 08, 2017, 11:54:17 pm
This is all you ever need to know about FCJ and how he feels. Past, present, or future.

As Long as you support Mike as coach, im good.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: razorpimp on February 09, 2017, 04:48:47 am
WOW what great recruiting classes!!!!  Geez yea great reason to keep the street baller
Getting better every year... ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2017, 05:57:30 am
At Mizzou, he was small fish in a medium pond and here he is a small fish in a big pond and that is saying a lot, as bad as the SEC is in basketball right now.
Are you saying the Big12 wasn't good in basketball when he was at Mizzou? Serious question...

NWAHog479

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2017, 09:03:03 pm
I'm to the point with all the negativity is to give them what they want. If the fan base don't appreciate what Mike has done and is doing let him move on and win someplace else. He doesn't deserve it and he is still young enough to get a high major job. Somebody is going to hire Mike and I'm hoping that it's LSU.

If MA gets fired he won't get a P5 job that quickly. He'll be back to South Alabama type schools. Maybe a Mountain West school at best. But Power 5? No way.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 09, 2017, 08:40:32 am
If MA gets fired he won't get a P5 job that quickly. He'll be back to South Alabama type schools. Maybe a Mountain West school at best. But Power 5? No way.
Keep thinking this. There are enough power 5 schools out there that will be looking for an established veteran coach.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 09, 2017, 07:34:41 am
RIP Forrest City Joe

LOL. He just ignores the things he has said in past years, or yesterday for that matter. Like his infamous rant about how we better sign up Pelphrey long term before Kentucky comes and steals him away - he acts like that never happened.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2017, 08:44:00 am
LOL. He just ignores the things he has said in past years, or yesterday for that matter. Like his infamous rant about how we better sign up Pelphrey long term before Kentucky comes and steals him away - he acts like that never happened.

He is a friggin' joke. I don't get the respect many have for him.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 09, 2017, 08:51:33 am

IF, and I say IF it is the same guy who used to call DTS and rant about HDN then I guess it goes back to that. I am suspicious if it is actually one in the same though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 09, 2017, 08:51:33 am
I used to be one of them. The best fan there was, always entertaining if nothing else, and I would crank up the radio when he would come on.
He gave the impression he was just a very passionate fan who wants the best for the Hogs and was willing to hold coaches/ADs accountable.

Then MA came along and it's a complete 180. We now know what he's all about. EXPOSED.

I would hurl out the window if I heard him on the radio now.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2017, 08:53:54 am
IF, and I say IF it is the same guy who used to call DTS and rant about HDN then I guess it goes back to that. I am suspicious if it is actually one in the same though.
It's the same guy, trust me.
He's been calling in forever. Yes, used to blast HDN all the time.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 09, 2017, 09:43:38 am
It's the same guy, trust me.
He's been calling in forever. Yes, used to blast HDN all the time.

My question is if they guy on the radio is actually the guy who posts here. Right now I am suspicious of anyone posting their undying support for Mike Anderson, I can't believe anyone actually would be that way after the last 3 losses.

majp51

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 08, 2017, 07:54:51 pm
Because i believe in Mike Anderson. i think in the long run he will get the job done here. and i do not believe it's time to fire him.i would not do iot if i were Jeff Long. but listening to Rick,Randy and Ray today.it does not sound good for Mike.so hope the feeling i got is wrong.

Dude, it already is the long run. 6 Years is an eternity in College basketball, he's been able to turn his entire roster over at least 2 times, and he still cannot win consistently in a conference that is extremely weak, as in Big EAST BCS football weak.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 08, 2017, 08:01:06 pm
On the day he was hired, no fan believed in Mike more than I did.

It's been a long six years.

If you would have told me that we would be where we are in year six, I would have called you a liar and offered to fight you.

I was wrong.

Same here. I really wanted Mike to do well. Unfortunately it isn't happening for whatever reasons. Well actually the reasons are clear cut.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 08:43:10 am
Keep thinking this. There are enough power 5 schools out there that will be looking for an established veteran coach.

Desperation makes people do strange things.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2017, 09:51:16 am
My question is if they guy on the radio is actually the guy who posts here. Right now I am suspicious of anyone posting their undying support for Mike Anderson, I can't believe anyone actually would be that way after the last 3 losses.
Believe it, it's the same guy.
He's been using that moniker for 30 years. Same guy.

HognitiveDissonance

I'm glad I missed your call.
But I did hear the guy who called in about 6:30pm and immediately started to go into a football/basketball thing. 'Let's look at both sports'.
These people drive me crazy.
Two thoughts came to mind:

1)Dude, were you not paying attention or listening during football season after the Auburn game, Missouri debacle, Va Tech debacle, etc? Did you not hear the hosts commenting and caller after caller complaining, criticizing, whining, carping, etc about 'this is unacceptable...how do you blow leads like that--twice?....this defense is pitiful...somebody's head needs to roll...on and on.

2)Is that the best you got? It's basketball season, and we're talking about current events here. So, you're saying, you got nothing...except to deflect attention away to football. That's all you got?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I was born in 91, by the time I was old enough to watch and understand Hog ball, the "golden age" in Arkansas basketball was over. im currently 26 and all I've seen from the program is disappointment and unmet expectations, so when someone says firing mike Anderson will "set the program back" I have to ask how far do they think we've come to be "set back." Im tired of our program being the butt of everyones jokes, and im tired of all the people that are okay with it. Changes need to be made.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 08, 2017, 06:54:05 pm
Why are you so adamant that Mike Anderson remain as coach?

Joe wants to keep Mike for only one reason.  Recruits who have committed.   He thinks we will lose them if Mike is let go.  He is not looking back to our past seasons of mediocrity.   he is not thinking that a HR nationally recognized Coach will be about to keep those recruits or go get better.

I wonder why he does not think if we go get the right guy and I mean paying what ever it takes to get the right guy that all those recruits will come or replaced with better plus they will be taught how to win.  A win win situation.

Kevin

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 10:16:50 am
Joe wants to keep Mike for only one reason.  Recruits who have committed.   He thinks we will lose them if Mike is let go.  He is not looking back to our past seasons of mediocrity.   he is not thinking that a HR nationally recognized Coach will be about to keep those recruits or go get better.

I wonder why he does not think if we go get the right guy and I mean paying what ever it takes to get the right guy that all those recruits will come or replaced with better plus they will be taught how to win.  A win win situation.

it is one thing but it is not recruiting
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

majp51

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 08:43:10 am

Not one whose last resume building was essentially a decade ago. And his accomplishments are kind of <meh>. 2 Elite eights are great, but there were not with the same program, so there is no history of consistency. The longest place he stayed at (presuming he was let go) would be hear, and he's may the NCAA's once.

Add his age to the mix, and I think he would have only a slightly easier time getting a new gig than his mentor.

cardsNhogs

Agree 100% Hate this fastest 40 style whatever the hell its supposed to be.. I want to watch a team that knows how to play on both ends of the floor.

East TN HAWG

After these back to back losses, I'm coming over the fence.  My biggest worry about releasing Mike is who will replace him.  I'm tired of the Heath / Pelphrey types without much experience and no proven record.  Most schools in the SEC end up with this type. 

With the HS talent in AR over the next couple of years, we have the chance to make a splash and regain our rightful status among college elite programs.  We must sustain it after this influx of local talent.

If Jeff makes a change, he better not whiff or our fate is sealed for another 10 years or so.  Mike may still be a better option than some of these three wins in the tournament types.     

GuvHog

Quote from: latrops on February 09, 2017, 05:40:35 am

If one followed Mike's career at UAB and Missouri it is not a mystery to them.

Mike was a UAB for only 3 years and was successful because he had a number of the previous coach's players still on the team.

At Missouri, Mike was successful his first 3 years for the same reason. The Missouri program began to decline in Mike's 4th year there as most of the previous coach's players left the roster and worsened in Mike's last year when all of the players on the roster were his recruits.

Mike seems to be a fine, honorable man but he has never shown that he is capable of building a winning program. Many of us pointed that out clearly when he was hired but were told we didn't know what we were talking about.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2017, 08:44:00 am

And it took him all of 5 seconds to change his mind yet he's being so stubborn about sticking with Mike.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 09, 2017, 11:12:33 am
And it took him all of 5 seconds to change his mind yet he's being so stubborn about stickling with Mike.

because it gets him attention.

GuvHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 08, 2017, 09:22:25 pm
Yep. Got fired for not delivering the expected results.

No, he got fired because a large number of people were howling for Mike Anderson to be hired as HC and they had been doing so non stop since Nolan was terminated. It didn't matter who was hired as HC after Nolan  was bought out or how well he did, those people weren't going to be happy until Mike got the job.

To tell the truth, Pel had corrected the APR problems, had 18 wins, and had the program on the upswing when he was terminated foolishly during the season. Heck, that team even received an NIT bid but that didn't matter to those people. Even if Pel's last team had made the NCAA and won a couple of games there, those people would still have been Howling for Mike Anderson.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on February 09, 2017, 11:02:41 am
If one followed Mike's career at UAB and Missouri it is not a mystery to them.

Mike was a UAB for only 3 years and was successful because he had a number of the previous coach's players still on the team.

At Missouri, Mike was successful his first 3 years for the same reason. The Missouri program began to decline in Mike's 4th year there as most of the previous coach's players left the roster and worsened in Mike's last year when all of the players on the roster were his recruits.

Mike seems to be a fine, honorable man but he has never shown that he is capable of building a winning program. Many of us pointed that out clearly when he was hired but were told we didn't know what we were talking about.

Mike's best player during his time was a quick point guard by the name of Cardell  "Squeaky" Johnson. He made that team go and was signed by Mike Anderson. Demario Eddins was another big time player for UAB that signed by Mike.  The guy before Mike was a guy named Murry Bartow!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 09, 2017, 11:16:10 am
Mike's best player during his time was a quick point guard by the name of Cardell  "Squeaky" Johnson. He made that team go and was signed by Mike Anderson. Demario Eddins was another big time player for UAB that signed by Mike.  The guy before Mike was a guy named Murry Bartow!!

I remember Murry. He inherited that HC job from his dad, Gene Bartow, when he retired. Murry was a great recruiter but a poor coach. Mike benefitted from Murry's great recruiting. Gene Bartow was very successful in his years at Memphis State but the game had passed him by and he knew it.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on February 09, 2017, 11:23:25 am
I remember Murry. He inherited that HC job from his dad, Gene Bartow, when he retired. Murry was a great recruiter but a poor coach. Mike benefitted from Murry's great recruiting. Gene Bartow was very successful in his years at Memphis State but the game had passed him by and he knew it.

If you say so! I've followed Mike career for sometime. Mo Finley was the only player that was solid that Bartow had at UAB.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 09, 2017, 11:43:46 am
If you say so! I've followed Mike career for sometime. Mo Finley was the only player that was solid that Bartow had at UAB.

You mean he only had one solid player in the 8 years he was coach!  He was there 8 years wasn't he?  You can't fire a coach without giving him 8 years to get his players in can you?

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on February 09, 2017, 11:15:40 am
No, he got fired because a large number of people were howling for Mike Anderson to be hired as HC and they had been doing so non stop since Nolan was terminated. It didn't matter who was hired as HC after Nolan  was bought out or how well he did, those people weren't going to be happy until Mike got the job.

To tell the truth, Pel had corrected the APR problems, had 18 wins, and had the program on the upswing when he was terminated foolishly during the season. Heck, that team even received an NIT bid but that didn't matter to those people. Even if Pel's last team had made the NCAA and won a couple of games there, those people would still have been Howling for Mike Anderson.
Wrong.Pel was terrible. and the program was in terrible shape when he was fired.he was fired because he was in over his head.and was a terrible coach. you can't re-write history.