Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baylor - Shameful

Started by Neednewcoach, February 03, 2017, 04:11:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

Quote from: Neednewcoach on February 03, 2017, 04:11:08 pm
They should burn this program to the ground.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18609288/art-briles-baylor-bears-assistants-buried-player-misbehavior-documents-say

Just got done reading this. Unbelievable. I feel sorry for Matt Rhule, it is starting to look like he wont have a football program to lead. I don't see how the football program makes it out of this, and rightfully so, it shouldn't.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 03, 2017, 04:14:02 pm
Just got done reading this. Unbelievable. I feel sorry for Matt Rhule, it is starting to look like he wont have a football program to lead. I don't see how the football program makes it out of this, and rightfully so, it shouldn't.

There have been more cheating scandals in college athletics than you can count, but the real scandals that impact people's lives away from the field or court are far worse.  And of the few that have come to light in recent years, Baylor had two of them. 

Maybe they should do away with sports altogether and just concentrate on educating good young Baptist folk.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Razorbackers

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 03, 2017, 04:18:41 pm
There have been more cheating scandals in college athletics than you can count, but the real scandals that impact people's lives away from the field or court are far worse.  And of the few that have come to light in recent years, Baylor had two of them. 

Maybe they should do away with sports altogether and just concentrate on educating good young Baptist folk.

Bingo. Murder and rape scandals do not bode well for them. Heck I think they have gone WAY above and beyond what SMU did to get the death penalty.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rljjr

I'm shocked there aren't protests outside the BU president's office demanding football be shut down. I doubt that will happen, though. The NCAA doesn't want to touch this for some reason -- and if it ever does it will take it years to do something.

PorkSoda

"attorneys allege there were 52 sexual assaults committed by "not less" than 31 players from 2011 to 2014."

holy crap
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BallHog1

Wow, imagine how horrible you would feel right now if this article was about the Univ. of AR...
I am so thankful that we haven't had to deal with something like this. Winning is great but it is not worth this kind of shame.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 03, 2017, 04:19:58 pm
Burn. it. to. the. ground.

I'm pretty sure everyone involved has been fired at this point.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rljjr

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 03, 2017, 04:34:18 pm

Perhaps from a previous coaching staff, but the Board of Regents were allegedly complicit (even if through sheer negligence). The campus cops were allegedly complicit as well. It wasn't just the coaches. It was a allegedly a well-coordinated, systematic scheme to keep players eligible, out of jail, out of the news, etc, all for winning on Saturday and collecting big checks. Some others have already said that the new stadium and facilities due to that winning were built with blood money. 

sickboy

I will preface this by saying everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But even if half these reports are true... then...

I get that Baylor got rid of Briles and purged the program, but they kind of shouldn't be allowed to have a program for a few years, in my opinion.

Art Briles should never coach again. I do believe in second chances, but the damage him and his coaches did to so many lives is reprehensible. I can't believe this is a man who has a daughter. Disgusting what some will do to be the best.

Razorbackers

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 03, 2017, 04:34:18 pm

That school does not deserve football. That is a culture far more toxic than anything we've ever seen. Players and coaches covering up 52 rapes, including gang rapes, and countless other crimes.

Even Penn State wasn't this. PSU was monstrous, but it didn't involve any players. This is corruption from the player all the way through to the board, and apparently into the city police force and who knows where else.

This is going to be a huge thing for Baylor. The Title IX lawsuit alone is going to be vicious, and who knows what kind of punishments await once that is wrapped up. The NCAA won't wander into criminal waters again like with PSU (who was able to sue and get their punishments reduced), but you can bet that when the lawsuit is over, they will have their own punishment in mind.

This is beyond death penalty worthy to me.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 03, 2017, 04:33:05 pm
"attorneys allege there were 52 sexual assaults committed by "not less" than 31 players from 2011 to 2014."

holy crap
As we know one is far too many. So some would have us believe that ALL these allegations are false/malicious? I think not; and yes, the whole program should be shut down at least until the real issues have been dealt with and the Waco house thoroughly cleaned out. While we know that circumstances are different than those at Penn State several years back, the offenses are no less serious and disgusting. Makes me want to :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sickboy on February 03, 2017, 04:42:34 pm
I will preface this by saying everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But even if half these reports are true... then...

I get that Baylor got rid of Briles and purged the program, but they kind of shouldn't be allowed to have a program for a few years, in my opinion.

Art Briles should never coach again. I do believe in second chances, but the damage him and his coaches did to so many lives is reprehensible. I can't believe this is a man who has a daughter. Disgusting what some will do to be the best.
And I'm sure if some of the same crap was pulled on his daughter (god forbid) that he'd have the same "oh well who cares/sweep it under the rug" attitude. RRRRIIIGGGHHHTTT...................

onebadrubi

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 03, 2017, 04:44:53 pm
That school does not deserve football. That is a culture far more toxic than anything we've ever seen. Players and coaches covering up 52 rapes, including gang rapes, and countless other crimes.

Even Penn State wasn't this. PSU was monstrous, but it didn't involve any players. This is corruption from the player all the way through to the board, and apparently into the city police force and who knows where else.

This is going to be a huge thing for Baylor. The Title IX lawsuit alone is going to be vicious, and who knows what kind of punishments await once that is wrapped up. The NCAA won't wander into criminal waters again like with PSU (who was able to sue and get their punishments reduced), but you can bet that when the lawsuit is over, they will have their own punishment in mind.

This is beyond death penalty worthy to me.

The dang coach new his assistant was doing it and had been told more than once it was going on.  I am not sure how you say one is worse than the other...

ADavisTheGOAT

Give em the chair (Death Penalty)
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

BigSexyHog

Been saying this since day 1 and most people didn't care.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hobhog

How could the new coach think Baylor was a good future job?!

LRHawg

The response reads less like a legal document and more like a narrative for Baylor's entire sexual assault saga, explaining why the regents had remained mostly silent but were pressured to release details of the evidence against Briles and the coaching staff in light of the groundswell of opposition to his firing -- widely seen this past fall at football games in which people wore black T-shirts or carried black banners with the hashtag #CAB for "Coach Art Briles."

" It quotes a donor as responding, "If you mention Baylor's mission one more time, I'm going to throw up. ... I was promised a national championship."

Truly sad. I don't know what if any further, punishment should be enforced, but I just pray for healing for the Baylor fans and community. You sold your soul for football prowess, but there's a chance to make amends and move forward. Personally, I think they need to shut the program down for a while. If you are opposed to this, I think you have to examine your motivations.

How far has society sunk that we're willing to look past all the wrong done for success in a sport?

With social media reaction already calling for the NCAA to take action against Baylor in light of the new information, Hardin said Baylor should be commended for hiring Pepper Hamilton, releasing the highly critical results of the investigation and firing its head coach at a time when most other colleges confronted with such allegations would just quietly pay off the victims and not investigate further.

Haha, whatever. It was obvious to everyone Briles had to go. Nice try on the attempt to salvage whatever is left of Baylor's rep though, Chief.

sickboy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 03, 2017, 04:47:31 pm
And I'm sure if some of the same crap was pulled on his daughter (god forbid) that he'd have the same "oh well who cares/sweep it under the rug" attitude. RRRRIIIGGGHHHTTT...................

If someone actively tried to cover-up and protect the man who raped my daughter... you better watch out. I'd come for you.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Neednewcoach on February 03, 2017, 04:11:08 pm
They should burn this program to the ground.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18609288/art-briles-baylor-bears-assistants-buried-player-misbehavior-documents-say

What a terrible thing to just overlook and try to bury.

Problem I have with burning the program to the ground are the kids who were on the team (or may remain) that had absolutely nothing to do with this. Should they have to pay for those who did wrong and the coaches who tried to cover it up? I'd say no. Prosecute the rest to the maximum extent of the law based on the extent of their individual involvement.
Go Hogs Go!

sickboy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 05:55:09 pm
What a terrible thing to just overlook and try to bury.

Problem I have with burning the program to the ground are the kids who were on the team (or may remain) that had absolutely nothing to do with this. Should they have to pay for those who did wrong and the coaches who tried to cover it up? I'd say no. Prosecute the rest to the maximum extent of the law based on the extent of their individual involvement.

I disagree. At this level... it transcends not acting in order to protect the players. The program was blatantly breaking the law, not just NCAA rules, egregiously, to win football games. I'm sorry, but let the players transfer without penalty and deal with the program. At this point, it's not about the players. And the fact that Baylor was able to sign "good eggs" among the bad ones... should not protect it from how blatantly and grossly they broke the law and the spirit of NCAA competition.

Smalltownhog95

Disgusting. Had this happened to the hogs and the death penalty occurred I can't say I'd be sad to see it go. Killing the program would be better than having that taint your team.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sickboy on February 03, 2017, 06:02:24 pm
I disagree. At this level... it transcends not acting in order to protect the players. The program was blatantly breaking the law, not just NCAA rules, egregiously, to win football games. I'm sorry, but let the players transfer without penalty and deal with the program. At this point, it's not about the players. And the fact that Baylor was able to sign "good eggs" among the bad ones... should not protect it from how blatantly and grossly they broke the law and the spirit of NCAA competition.

I would agree with allowing those uninvolved to transfer with immediate eligibility. I'm pretty sure there are at least some players that are innocent. For those that aren't, you saw my statement with regard to them.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsfan31

What a POS. The man hid behind God and pretended to act like he's some holier than thou that wasn't sure why people were vilifying him. I hope he never coaches football again, anywhere. Not even pee wee and high school. Those that were involved in this cover up, as well as the players guilty should all go to jail.

On top of this, look at why the world of college football is doing to some people and programs. People are willing to turn a blind eye to heinous crimes to win football games. The game and the money has become too much. Coaches are faced with having to do anything it takes to have a winning season, that they will LITERALLY sell their soul to the devil. It's sickening.

hogsfan31

I agree

LRHawg

Quote from: hogsfan31 on February 03, 2017, 06:31:51 pm
What a POS. The man hid behind God and pretended to act like he's some holier than thou that wasn't sure why people were vilifying him. I hope he never coaches football again, anywhere. Not even pee wee and high school. Those that were involved in this cover up, as well as the players guilty should all go to jail.

On top of this, look at why the world of college football is doing to some people and programs. People are willing to turn a blind eye to heinous crimes to win football games. The game and the money has become too much. Coaches are faced with having to do anything it takes to have a winning season, that they will LITERALLY sell their soul to the devil. It's sickening.

Agreed. I get frustrated with Jeff Long at times but I am grateful for the cleanliness of our programs.

pigture perfect

From what I see, this is worse stuff than what SMU did to get the death penalty. This is also as bad if not worse than what Penn St. And Joe Paterno did. Some may want to argue that point, ok. But Baylor is a Christian College and like it or not, should be even higher on the scale of accountability. It is a shameful thing with many lives permanently scarred.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Buff

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 03, 2017, 04:33:38 pm
Wow, imagine how horrible you would feel right now if this article was about the Univ. of AR...
I am so thankful that we haven't had to deal with something like this. Winning is great but it is not worth this kind of shame.

What's funny (bad word choice given the circumstances, I know) is that Baylor did all this and didn't even win s...........

Sivad

Quote from: sickboy on February 03, 2017, 04:42:34 pm
Art Briles should never coach again.
Anywhere.
And Baylor should not play football for a few years either.

hogsfan31

Matt Rhule or not, if I'm a player being recruited to Baylor after this mess and I have other offers, I dang sure am not going there. What a disgrace.

daBoar

I'll take a contrarian view; not a currently politically correct view.  This is a legal matter.  When rapes (aka, questionable non-consensual sex between often inebriated parties) occur outside of the school campus, that should not be construed by Title 9 as a school matter, or a school failing.  The young women (it's normally young women) should promptly go to a hospital and engage police assistance. 

Not trying to say that the coach is blameless, but to solely blame the coaches and university is dumb.

These have become money matters, leveraging a Title 9 rule run amok.

This could just as easily happen at Arkansas; it just has media focus today in Waco.

sickboy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 06:13:59 pm
I would agree with allowing those uninvolved to transfer with immediate eligibility. I'm pretty sure there are at least some players that are innocent. For those that aren't, you saw my statement with regard to them.

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with penalizing kids who had nothing to do with this. And definitely agree with punishing those who did.

My feeling is that by letting Baylor continue to compete in football, no matter what, you're sending a message that football programs are immune from, not only NCAA sanctions, but the law. That's a problem for me.

sickboy

Quote from: daBoar on February 03, 2017, 07:08:20 pm
I'll take a contrarian view; not a currently politically correct view.  This is a legal matter.  When rapes (aka, questionable non-consensual sex between often inebriated parties) occur outside of the school campus, that should not be construed by Title 9 as a school matter, or a school failing.  The young women (it's normally young women) should promptly go to a hospital and engage police assistance. 

Not trying to say that the coach is blameless, but to solely blame the coaches and university is dumb.

This could just as easily happen at Arkansas; it just has media focus today in Waco.

You must not have read Briles's text messages.

hogsfan31

Quote from: daBoar on February 03, 2017, 07:08:20 pm

A lot of these women did go to the police, but were "persuaded" not to follow through with a police report. Some did file reports and they went no where. One was an athlete that came forward and told the police and school what happened, and then she miraculously lost her athletic scholarship and had to transfer. Money can make anything go away, and when you have Blowhards like the one in those text messages whining bc he's been promised a National Championship, the moment anything like this surfaces "it goes away".

So not only is it a legal issue with the Waco PD, it is an issue with the Athletic Department and University as they were all in on the cover ups of numerous crimes, not just rapes.

So yes, blame the coaches and the whole administration for them creating this culture by covering everything up and allowing it to continue.

jgphillips3

If I'm being honest, I could be quite content if the UA was buying scam Newton type athletes and cheating in that manner.  On the other hand, if we were ever like Baylor, I'd burn my gear.  Winning is not worth hurting people...especially young women.  Baylor should voluntarily take a pause from football.

Justagp

This is a very good point - they do not deserve to have a team right now. The situation was downright vile.

sickboy

Quote from: Justagp on February 03, 2017, 07:26:55 pm
This is a very good point - they do not deserve to have a team right now. The situation was downright vile.

If you allow Baylor to continue competing in college football, the NCAA is sending the message and setting a precedent that says football programs are above the law.

The Penn State issue was totally different. Those were stories and testimony about situations that happened years and year ago. Other than eyewitness accounts and "he said, she said" testimony -- there was no hard evidence. Plus, the Penn State players did not commit any crimes.

This, however, is hard evidence of coaches, administration AND players breaking the law and working in concert to undermine the criminal process to protect the institution and the players.

This is completely unprecedented.

MuskogeeHogFan

February 03, 2017, 08:19:48 pm #39 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:31:20 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: sickboy on February 03, 2017, 07:09:32 pm
Yeah, I definitely don't agree with penalizing kids who had nothing to do with this. And definitely agree with punishing those who did.

My feeling is that by letting Baylor continue to compete in football, no matter what, you're sending a message that football programs are immune from, not only NCAA sanctions, but the law. That's a problem for me.

Ahhhh, here's a follow up question....with the Big 12 in the fix that they are currently in with not having enough teams for a legit conference and with wanting to produce a CCG after everyone has played each other once, how would the elimination of a program from the existing conference further weaken what they were trying to re-instill by having a CCG? That cuts them down to what? 9 teams and totally screws up the schedule if Baylor gets the true death penalty for a few years.

Does this send the Big 12 scrambling to add an odd assortment of teams? The conference as a whole is in big trouble if Baylor gets the death penalty. Already too small and then, even smaller.

And how does that effect the conference t.v. package? Oh the ramifications of one team in a smaller conference really screwing up and sticking it to everyone else at the same time.
Go Hogs Go!

rljjr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 03, 2017, 08:19:48 pm
Ahhhh, here's a follow up question....with the Big 12 in the fix that they are currently in with not having enough teams for a legit conference and with wanting to produce a CCG after everyone has played each other once, how would the elimination of a program from the existing conference further weaken what they were trying to re-instill by having a CCG? That cuts them down to what? 9 teams and totally screws up the schedule if Baylor gets the true death penalty for a few years.

Does this send the Big 12 scrambling to add an odd assortment of teams? The conference as a whole is in big trouble if Baylor gets the death penalty. Already too small and then, even smaller.

And how does that effect the conference t.v. package? Oh the ramifications of one team in a smaller conference really screwing up and sticking it to everyone else at the same time.

This is why I don't think anything will happen to them, at least from an NCAA perspective. Too much money to be made/lost ... and I believe it would literally kill the Big 12 and the PTB won't let that happen to Texas and OU. It would hasten the advent of the 4 16-team super conferences and I don't think the networks or the university presidents are ready for that.

HamSammich

Quote from: LRHawg on February 03, 2017, 06:40:37 pm
Agreed. I get frustrated with Jeff Long at times but I am grateful for the cleanliness of our programs.
No program is clean. Don't drink that much of the cool aid because it can cause health problems.

gawntrail

Quote from: HamSammich on February 03, 2017, 10:13:08 pm
No program is clean. Don't drink that much of the cool aid because it can cause health problems.

Facts?

LRHawg

Quote from: HamSammich on February 03, 2017, 10:13:08 pm

relative cleanliness. There's degrees of stank.

farmhawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 03, 2017, 04:33:05 pm

holy crap
Horrible, none of those people that covered this up should be walking around free.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

XavierZane

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 03, 2017, 04:33:38 pm

You'd think people would realize that after the Penn State debacle, or after this, but all it will take is the next loss and there will be disgusting people on this board braying that winning is all that matters.   :puke:

hawgtusky22

Read a bunch of biased reporting.  You are either pregnant or not.  Scumbag? PROBABLY.  Handled better?  Definitely.  Almighty dollar in higher regard than Morales.  Absolutely.  Now show me a CEO who doesn't look at bottom line and makes final decision..  see which way pendulum swings.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rljjr on February 03, 2017, 04:29:57 pm
I'm shocked there aren't protests outside the BU president's office demanding football be shut down. I doubt that will happen, though. The NCAA doesn't want to touch this for some reason -- and if it ever does it will take it years to do something.

It's in texas. Football is more important than the law, church or health down there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

If " True ". Then the Big 12 should expel Baylor from the Big 12. This is the 2nd cover up since 2003.

goodguytex

If Penn State can do what so many in that program did and not get the death penalty, then Baylor won't get it either. They may deserve it, but they won't get it.