Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State, UCA to Play Again in 2021

Started by Seminole Indian, February 03, 2017, 02:35:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

At least that is what posters on AStateNation are saying.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

Good for both programs to bad Arkansas doesn't see the upside of playing either of these programs over FAMU with about 40k in the stands at War Memorial.  Or Coastal Carolina, San Jose St, Portland St.  Pathetic.

Because we all see how that loss to UCA kept ASU from winning the Sun Belt and the best bowl game the Sun belt offers. 

hog of steele

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 07, 2017, 06:50:46 am
Good for both programs to bad Arkansas doesn't see the upside of playing either of these programs over FAMU with about 40k in the stands at War Memorial.  Or Coastal Carolina, San Jose St, Portland St.  Pathetic.

Because we all see how that loss to UCA kept ASU from winning the Sun Belt and the best bowl game the Sun belt offers.

If you don't see how that loss hurt ASU, it's because you dont want to see it.

Losing to a team below you in our state is damaging. UofA has nothing to gain by playing ASU. Until that changes, the game won't happen. If ASU wants to play AR, they need to get themselves into he big 12.

Seminole Indian

I have no doubt it  hurt their image in Arkansas, and of course their fans don't like it that UCA fans will dog them (at least until 2021), but beyond that probably not much.

A-State football is not a religion, so they will get over it.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

hog of steele

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 07, 2017, 11:43:11 am
I have no doubt it  hurt their image in Arkansas, and of course their fans don't like it that UCA fans will dog them (at least until 2021),

That is pretty big

Seminole Indian

Embarrassing for A-State fans, players and coaches, no doubt but that is part of sports.

For the most part UCA, who had come close  to beating some bigger teams than A-State, fans on their message board has simply noted that they beat what turned out to be a a pretty good team, and A-State fans on theirs, have made note of the fact UCA was a pretty good team.

The game did seem to motivate A-States coaches and players, and when all was said and done the season was deemed a success by everyone associated with their program.

They were co-champions of their conference, went to and won a bowl game, and were able to bring in a few players they needed to insure that have a good shot and another conference championship, and a bowl game in 2017.

hog of steele

Co champs is in spite of a loss. Losing to ASU would not be a magic sauce that would propel us past Bama. And no, I am not willing to try it.

The arguement is that we would be ASU's super bowl.  They would give us their best. And they have football players. They would win some of those games. Beating ASU does nothing for Arkansas and losing hurts us. That argument stands tall. If ASU wants to play AR, they need to get themselves into the big 12. Make it actually look like we are dodging them.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hog of steele on February 07, 2017, 02:42:04 pm
Co champs is in spite of a loss. Losing to ASU would not be a magic sauce that would propel us past Bama. And no, I am not willing to try it.

The arguement is that we would be ASU's super bowl.  They would give us their best. And they have football players. They would win some of those games. Beating ASU does nothing for Arkansas and losing hurts us. That argument stands tall. If ASU wants to play AR, they need to get themselves into the big 12. Make it actually look like we are dodging them.
I've got no problem with the Razorbacks not playing A-State, and IMO it is a non-issue for  most fans of either school.

Can't say their policy of not playing in-state schools has not served them well, and it certainly has not stopped  A-State from moving up the ranks to FBS. 

They would almost certainly be a G5 even if they did play the Razorbacks.

Seminole Indian

February 07, 2017, 03:20:10 pm #9 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:19:58 pm by Seminole Indian
The only time A-State pressed the issue was when they were trying to get back into the top Division  back in the 80's, and once they made it it has not been mentioned very much.

People forget  that if Frank Broyles had not stepped up and  scheduled ULM in those "away" games in Little Rock it is doubtful they would have remained in the top Division, because they would not have had the conference games to count toward the required number of home games ( think it was five 1-A teams) to qualify.

When asked why he did not help  A-State, Frank reportedly said "I thought I did".

He just could not schedule them.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog of steele on February 07, 2017, 02:42:04 pm

ASU's super bowl? Don't kid yourself. ASU might like to play the hogs but it wouldn't qualify as a "super bowl" to them. It would just be another game they would want to win. Yeah a little bit of bragging rights would be involved in the game but to ASU it is more important to go to and win a bowl game at the end of the season. Bowl games are what they consider "super bowls".

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

holeinthewall

I didn't see any recruit tell ASU no they wouldn't come to ASU because they lost to UCA.  the only effect it had was in the W-L record at the end of the year.  Most Razorback fans have an over inflated opinion of the stature of the program. 

Is a kid going to accept an offer to ASU over Arkansas if ASU was to beat them once every ten years. No not as long as ASU is in the Sun Belt.  Now if ASU was to get into a P5 conference that would be different.  But we all know that won't happen anytime soon if ever.

Seminole Indian

February 08, 2017, 08:40:34 am #12 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:07:45 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: holeinthewall on February 08, 2017, 06:43:08 am
I didn't see any recruit tell ASU no they wouldn't come to ASU because they lost to UCA.  the only effect it had was in the W-L record at the end of the year.  Most Razorback fans have an over inflated opinion of the stature of the program. 

Is a kid going to accept an offer to ASU over Arkansas if ASU was to beat them once every ten years. No not as long as ASU is in the Sun Belt.  Now if ASU was to get into a P5 conference that would be different.  But we all know that won't happen anytime soon if ever.
Based on comments by fans of both schools, the game should probably have never been that close, as opposed to UCA's games against say Texas Tech where they are even throughout.

A-State appeared to be able to pass at will ( over 400 yards and three TD'd), and seemed to take in control early, but after getting a little lead A-State focused on the run game, and gained like 45 yards on 35 carries. That gave UCA the chance to hang in there an take advantage of a couple of errors to snatch a victory.

ULL did the same thing to give them their only conference loss.

They had also lost to a Utah State team prior to UCA, that was probably not as good as UCA, so they were just playing bad football, and for the most part the blame was placed on some poor decisions by their coaching staff.

holeinthewall

Next season won't start much better @Nebraska, Miami and @SMU..UAPB is the only guaranteed win  Only SMU is a possible win. 2018 looks much better Southeast Missouri, UNLV at home and Bama and Tulsa on the road.. 3-1 is very possible.

Seminole Indian

February 08, 2017, 11:00:16 am #14 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:55:09 pm by Seminole Indian
Yep,  1-3 very possible, maybe likely, but I do think the heat Anderson & Company are taking about their OOC record might motivate them a little, like it did after the UCA game.

Hard to ignore the fact that the other SBC teams seem to perform well against good OOC competition, and A-State looks like they have not seen a coach until the 3rd or 4th game of the season.

GolfNut57

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 08, 2017, 10:24:01 am
Next season won't start much better @Nebraska, Miami and @SMU..UAPB is the only guaranteed win Only SMU is a possible win. 2018 looks much better Southeast Missouri, UNLV at home and Bama and Tulsa on the road.. 3-1 is very possible.

No such thing as a guaranteed win in college football. Any team can win on a given day is the old cliche. Now it is VERY unlikely that UAPB will repeat what UCA did last year but you just can't assume it is a guarantee.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Ben

Quote from: hog of steele on February 07, 2017, 10:39:44 am
If you don't see how that loss hurt ASU, it's because you dont want to see it.

Losing to a team below you in our state is damaging. UofA has nothing to gain by playing ASU. Until that changes, the game won't happen. If ASU wants to play AR, they need to get themselves into he big 12.
UA has nothing to gain playing any of the other Midmajors, SunBelt, and FCS teams they always play. If losing to a team below you in the same state is damaging, OU wouldn't have won in 2000 after losing to Tulsa in 96. Or Tennessee in 99 after losing to Memphis 2 years earlier. Or VT ripping off 11 straight, winning the ACC and going to the Orange Bowl in 2011 after losing to instate FCS team James Madison. Stanford lost to UC Davis in 05 and became a power 3 years later. Miami lost to FAMU in 1979, right before their 80s dominance.

This irrational fear of playing Arkansas State, much less losing to them, is in a backwards coward's mindset passed down from barnhill and broyles.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

HogCzar1

February 27, 2017, 12:26:14 am #17 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:39:47 am by HogCzar1
Quote from: Ben link=topic=626856

This irrational fear of playing Arkansas State, much less losing to them, is in a backwards coward's mindset passed down from barnhill and broyles.
/quote]

Couldn't disagree more. You have made your point known many, many times on this board. You have started threads that have as its background this very issue that bothers you so much. When you have to resort to name calling your agenda comes through.

It's fine to root for ASU. Last time I looked the athletic revenue at UA hasn't been hurt by their decision not to play ASU. I haven't seen the current athletic director at UA advocate anything that his predecessors didn't.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam.

Seminole Indian

February 28, 2017, 08:08:09 am #18 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:26:12 am by Seminole Indian
That they should play is a no brainer, and that they don't falls under "who cares".

Three of the four Arkansas Division 1 football programs are doing well.

The Razorbacks are one of the top 25 P5's, A-State one of the top 25 G5's, and hopefully UCA is now one of the top 25 FCS.

Both A-State and UCA can continue to improve their programs, and probably exceed anything they have done in the past on the field of play.

While it is an open question whether or not  the Razorbacks can return to the glory days when they were fixture in the top 20 while playing in the ultra competitive SEC, their program is as strong as it has ever been.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 28, 2017, 08:08:09 am
That they should play is a no brainer, and that they don't falls under "who cares".

Three of the four Division 1 football programs are doing well.

The Razorbacks are one of the top 25 P5's, A-State one of the top 25 G5's, and hopefully UCA is now one of the top 25 FCS.

Both A-State and UCA can continue to improve their programs, and probably exceed anything they have done in the past on the field of play.

While it is an open question whether or not  the Razorbacks can return to the glory days when they were fixture in the top 20 while playing in the ultra competitive SEC, but their program is as strong as it has ever been.

Yeah, nobody like RWAM or other posters on the ASU message board ever bring up Arkansas, or wanting to play them..........

Seminole Indian

ricepig

Seminole Indian

Right,  and the response to them is, even on that message board .............who cares.

Playing or not playing the Razorbacks is simply not that big a deal at all.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 28, 2017, 08:39:28 am
Right,  and the response to them is, even on that message board .............who cares.

Playing or not playing the Razorbacks is simply not that big a deal at all.

Nor, is playing ASU, thus the reason we haven't.

Seminole Indian

Again it comes back to who cares. It is just not a big deal to anyone.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 28, 2017, 09:02:19 am
Again it comes back to who cares. It is just not a big deal to anyone.

To some, I believe, you mean. It's obvious that some wish for the teams to play, or they wouldn't state as much, correct? Now, if you're saying the vast majority say it's not a big deal, I would concur. I'm at 90% of our home games, I'd be there, more than likely.

hog of steele

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 09:12:34 am
To some, I believe, you mean. It's obvious that some wish for the teams to play, or they wouldn't state as much, correct? Now, if you're saying the vast majority say it's not a big deal, I would concur. I'm at 90% of our home games, I'd be there, more than likely.

To people who have special affinity for ASU. I root for ASU and I am happy for them when they win. But its not an active kind of rooting. Those who live near ASU (like in the rice growing regions...) may have a reason to like them. Proximity or maybe they had a kid go there. Those folks seem to want this. The ones that want it agitate for it but its a small group.

It makes sense that they would agitate for it as it would help ASU quite a bit. But it won't help the UofA which is why you don't see the rst of the fans worked up about it.

ricepig

Quote from: hog of steele on February 28, 2017, 09:38:25 am
To people who have special affinity for ASU. I root for ASU and I am happy for them when they win. But its not an active kind of rooting. Those who live near ASU (like in the rice growing regions...) may have a reason to like them. Proximity or maybe they had a kid go there. Those folks seem to want this. The ones that want it agitate for it but its a small group.

It makes sense that they would agitate for it as it would help ASU quite a bit. But it won't help the UofA which is why you don't see the rst of the fans worked up about it.

Oh, I know, I live in Jonesboro and own a few of those acres they grow rice on, lol. In my circle, 45-60 year olds, there's probably 2 die hard ASU fans who want the UofA to burn down, the rest support both schools to a degree.

Seminole Indian

Well I agree with ricepig's last two post on this issue, but unlike him I will probably not be at any of their games.

hog of steele

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 10:09:02 am
Oh, I know, I live in Jonesboro and own a few of those acres they grow rice on, lol. In my circle, 45-60 year olds, there's probably 2 die hard ASU fans who want the UofA to burn down, the rest support both schools to a degree.

I recently moved to this side of the state. So I am more familiar with ASU this year than before. Also rice, soybeans, cotton and mosquitos. It makes sense to folks over here.

ricepig

Quote from: hog of steele on February 28, 2017, 03:12:03 pm
I recently moved to this side of the state. So I am more familiar with ASU this year than before. Also rice, soybeans, cotton and mosquitos. It makes sense to folks over here.

Yeah, we got us some mosquitoes.......

Ben

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 27, 2017, 12:26:14 am
[quote author=Ben link=topic=626856

Couldn't disagree more. You have made your point known many, many times on this board. You have started threads that have as its background this very issue that bothers you so much. When you have to resort to name calling your agenda comes through.

It's fine to root for ASU. Last time I looked the athletic revenue at UA hasn't been hurt by their decision not to play ASU. I haven't seen the current athletic director at UA advocate anything that his predecessors didn't.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam.
my point still stands unrefuted though. Also point out to me all the threads in the past 1, maybe 2 years where its related to this topic. I haven't touched on this topic in nearly a year or two, so idk where you are getting that info
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 04:10:42 pm
my point still stands unrefuted though.

The fact that it has been "passed down" from Barnhill to Long is true, the other part is purely conjecture on your part, unless you have evidence to refute it.

Ben

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 04:17:22 pm
The fact that it has been "passed down" from Barnhill to Long is true, the other part is purely conjecture on your part, unless you have evidence to refute it.
Conjecture? Evidence? Did I not just factually name off 5 programs who lost to instate midmajors/FCS teams that was still dominant within a 3-4 year scope after the loss? Nobody on this site has yet to refute that point, nor empirically prove that playing an instate team yields to harsh consequences. The "nothing to gain" argument is just as flawed and easily refuted, considering we waste money on other sun belt teams and midmajors/FCS team. Nobody can ever answer what gain is there playing those teams.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 04:28:03 pm
Conjecture? Evidence? Did I not just factually name off 5 programs who lost to instate midmajors/FCS teams that was still dominant within a 3-4 year scope after the loss? Nobody on this site has yet to refute that point, nor empirically prove that playing an instate team yields to harsh consequences. The "nothing to gain" argument is just as flawed and easily refuted, considering we waste money on other sun belt teams and midmajors/FCS team. Nobody can ever answer what gain is there playing those teams.

It's only backwards and cowardly in your eyes, so that's conjecture. Every situation is different, you can't plug in two schools and say what they do would apply the same way in this instance. Since neither school wishes to play, why worry about it?

Dropkick

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 04:28:03 pm
What is there to gain for UA in playing ASU?

Ben

Quote from: Dropkick on February 28, 2017, 04:53:20 pm
What is there to gain for UA in playing ASU?
What does Arkansas gain from playing other Sun Belt, Midmajor, and FCS Teams?

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 07:02:45 pm

The vast majority of the time, a win that doesn't cause some fans to pick a side.

Dropkick

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 07:02:45 pm
You said the nothing to gain argument is flawed, what is there to gain?

I expect you to answer with another question.

Ben

Quote from: Dropkick on February 28, 2017, 09:15:46 pm
You said the nothing to gain argument is flawed, what is there to gain?

I expect you to answer with another question.

the same to gain is whatever is gained playing other sun belt and midmajors

Ben

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 09:03:34 pm
The vast majority of the time, a win that doesn't cause some fans to pick a side.
So we are worried about splitting a fanbase with a sun belt team as an SEC team.....Lol

Dropkick

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 09:55:06 pm
the same to gain is whatever is gained playing other sun belt and midmajors
Which is what?

Ben

Quote from: Dropkick on February 28, 2017, 10:06:24 pm
Which is what?
You tell me. Nobody can ever tell me in detail what all is there to gain besides not splitting a fanbase with a sunbelt team (which is asinine as an SEC fanbase)

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 10:55:51 pm
You tell me. Nobody can ever tell me in detail what all is there to gain besides not splitting a fanbase with a sunbelt team (which is asinine as an SEC fanbase)

Obviously that Arkansas has a policy of not scheduling instate schools seems a little odd today, but the fact is the people that could change that policy still see some benefit in not doing so.

Until they think otherwise, it is their job to do what they feel is in the the best interest of the UofA, and in the here and now that means not scheduling instate schools.

They will play them in post season competition.

Their policy has not prevented the other state schools from having very successful programs.

UCA,and A-State measure up very well against their peers, and also get to watch their team perform against some of the very best teams in college football, so they have not been hurt at all in that respect either.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2017, 09:56:21 pm
So we are worried about splitting a fanbase with a sun belt team as an SEC team.....Lol

Lots of ASU grads who contribute money to the RF and are season ticket holders, no need to force them to choose which sideline to sit on for a game. I doubt you understand anything about the business world, besides punching a time clock.

Ben

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 08:10:58 am
Lots of ASU grads who contribute money to the RF and are season ticket holders, no need to force them to choose which sideline to sit on for a game. I doubt you understand anything about the business world, besides punching a time clock.
Its either ASU has only a handful of fans, or they have enough to split an SEC fanbase. Which one is it? Thats another hypocritical point by our fanbase. Highly doubt there are tons of ASU fans/grads that would hurt the integrity, fanbase and revenue of the Hogs. Even if that exaggerated amount of asu fans were hog fans, you mean to tell me they cant split for 1 game? Not a season or a lifetime, ONE GAME.

This fear of ASU is just irrational and nobody can give a valid reason why its a good idea not to play them, when other schools do the same with instate opponents and still win bigtime bowl games.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on March 01, 2017, 11:48:28 am
Its either ASU has only a handful of fans, or they have enough to split an SEC fanbase. Which one is it? Thats another hypocritical point by our fanbase. Highly doubt there are tons of ASU fans/grads that would hurt the integrity, fanbase and revenue of the Hogs. Even if that exaggerated amount of asu fans were hog fans, you mean to tell me they cant split for 1 game? Not a season or a lifetime, ONE GAME.

This fear of ASU is just irrational and nobody can give a valid reason why its a good idea not to play them, when other schools do the same with instate opponents and still win bigtime bowl games.

You're the one speaking of splitting a fan base, no one else is. It's simple economics, there's no sense in risking losing $1 when there isn't any benefit. You don't see it, because you choose not to, simple as that. Again, why don't you give the reason for playing them, ASU, not any other school, but ASU.

Ben

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 11:54:30 am
You're the one speaking of splitting a fan base, no one else is. It's simple economics, there's no sense in risking losing $1 when there isn't any benefit. You don't see it, because you choose not to, simple as that. Again, why don't you give the reason for playing them, ASU, not any other school, but ASU.
you keep saying risk something when there isn't any benefit, but much like you and most other fans, can't ever answer what benefit do the hogs get playing the other midmajors and fcs teams that we blow money on. You guys avoid that question and try to flip it to "what gain is there to play asu" questions. Questions you dont ask when scheduling other midmajors blowing money on them. Even to this point, nobody on this thread has answered in detail what arkansas has to gain playing those teams because they know their points are easily refuted.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on March 01, 2017, 01:43:42 pm
you keep saying risk something when there isn't any benefit, but much like you and most other fans, can't ever answer what benefit do the hogs get playing the other midmajors and fcs teams that we blow money on. You guys avoid that question and try to flip it to "what gain is there to play asu" questions. Questions you dont ask when scheduling other midmajors blowing money on them. Even to this point, nobody on this thread has answered in detail what arkansas has to gain playing those teams because they know their points are easily refuted.

We get an opponent we should beat the vast majority of the time without risking losing any fans, yes, even if it's only one. What difference does it matter who we "blow" money on? Now, tell me what we would gain, before you "easily refute" my point.

Ben

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 01:49:49 pm
We get an opponent we should beat the vast majority of the time without risking losing any fans, yes, even if it's only one. What difference does it matter who we "blow" money on? Now, tell me what we would gain, before you "easily refute" my point.
The same exact thing. An opponent you should beat the vast majority of the time. And yes, without risking losing any fans. True fans never change, so why even worry about a Sun Belt team taking your fans as an SEC program? I think way too highly of the hogs to have this irrational mindset when it comes to playing instate teams. Do you think we would lose fans playing UCA and UAPB also?