Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daniel Gafford v. Garrison Brooks, plus Rodgerick Brown, & more!

Started by Kevin McPherson, January 30, 2017, 04:48:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

HardingHog

I loved every update about the game between Gafford and Brooks! Wasn't it Brooks who basically eliminated us because of the competition on the depth chart? If so then I guess he made the right choice hahaha

Also, Brown should commit sooner rather than later. I'm impatient and would love a defensive stopper like that who can guard 1-4. Also, having "true 3s" like Hall and Brown will be very welcomed

Rawker

Awmahgawd, that clip of Gafford punking Brooks with a rediculous block is the sh**!

RealHog

Gafford looks amazing. Hope we can add a solid 4 to pair with him.

Memphis stole that one from us but I can see why he flipped. Memphis is basically playing this season and next with 2 "bigs" even in the roster. Guaranteed immediate 25+ minutes for him.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RealHog on February 03, 2017, 12:02:37 am

Memphis stole that one from us but I can see why he flipped. Memphis is basically playing this season and next with 2 "bigs" even in the roster. Guaranteed immediate 25+ minutes for him.

Who did Memphis "steal" from us?
http://memphis.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

We need a 5 to back up Gafford more than we need a 4. Next year we have Bailey, Cook, Thomas, and Hazen (or Hall in a smaller lineup). The year after Perry and Henderson arrive.

Swinesong1

Quote from: RealHog on February 03, 2017, 12:02:37 am

Now, I'm confused.  Are you talking about Garland who committed to Memphis then signed with the Hogs?

navyhog24

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2017, 06:20:54 am

We need a 5 to back up Gafford more than we need a 4. Next year we have Bailey, Cook, Thomas, and Hazen (or Hall in a smaller lineup). The year after Perry and Henderson arrive.

I'm thinking he's talking about Victor Enoh

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2017, 06:20:54 am

Ice, we will just have to agree to disagree.  you did not mention above one true College 4 man above.  All these guys have 3 man bodies and mentalities but on our team play the 4 spot because we do not have anyone else.  What do these guys weigh?  All under 225 lbs and none of them like to mix it up down low.   We need some men down low.  We need a couple of athletic 240+ lbers who like to mix it up and shows some toughness.

RaisinHog

I would consider Perry a true 4  I mean he is listed at 6-9 200 but he is a junior in high school it's not in realistic to think he would be in the 220 range before he plays his first game for the hogs and his style of play is pretty physical

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 04, 2017, 09:14:01 am
I would consider Perry a true 4  I mean he is listed at 6-9 200 but he is a junior in high school it's not in realistic to think he would be in the 220 range before he plays his first game for the hogs and his style of play is pretty physical

Yes, Perry's going to play the combo-4 in Hogs' system. He has the size and strength to be a bull on the boards and can score inside. He also can play facing the basket and shoot the 3. W/him at the 4 and Gafford at the 5, the Hogs have an interior duo that I don't think has a rival or comparison in the school's history.

Think about that for a minute. With all the great players and teams the Hogs have had, it's been mostly guards with a few notable exceptions (Hastings, Kleine, Big O, Corliss, Portis) ... BUT NEVER have the Hogs had 2 NBA-types teaming up on the frontline together (closest to it was Corliss and Darnell Robinson, but Robinson was never focused or discliplined enough to be a dynamic player while Big Nasty was still on campus). Add in 6-8 Ethan Henderson, who is still raw and developing, and possibly 6-8 Brachen Hazen, who is still raw and developing, and what I see is a lack of strength and depth in the frontline once you get past Gafford and Perry.

The other problem is how long will Gafford and Perry play together? Maybe only one season. Gafford has all the measurables and athletic talent to be a lottery pick, and I could see posibility of him being a 2-and-done.

The Hogs really need a big, strong, 4-year big and preferrably one to finish the 2017 class. Those don't just grow on trees, but it's a need. Not sure Mladen Armus (SWChristian Academy) is that guy, but he can play at high-major level, he's 6-9, strong, and has a big frame that he knows how to use to create space in the paint to get off high-percentage shots and rebounds. Not quick, fast, or athletic in terms of jumping, but he's got good lateral footwork and movement, and has good skill for a big.

Gabe Osabuohien, the 6-7 combo forward at SCA, put on a show against Hamilton Heights last weekend, which is loaded with talent, size, an athleticism. Everytime I saw him prior to that game, Gabe looked disinterested and brought inconsistent energy. Against HH, he was locked in and played with determination, and was clearly the best "talent" on the floor for SCA = 21 pts, 10 rebs. Armus had a double-double, too, against HH = 13 pts, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Osabuohien is the better system fit (compared to Armus) for the Hogs, but it would be another undersized combo-4 and not an answer to the need for an interior big.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on February 04, 2017, 09:46:42 am
Yes, Perry's going to play the combo-4 in Hogs' system. He has the size and strength to be a bull on the boards and can score inside. He also can play facing the basket and shoot the 3. W/him at the 4 and Gafford at the 5, the Hogs have an interior duo that I don't think has a rival or comparison in the school's history.

Think about that for a minute. With all the great players and teams the Hogs have had, it's been mostly guards with a few notable exceptions (Hastings, Kleine, Big O, Corliss, Portis) ... BUT NEVER have the Hogs had 2 NBA-types teaming up on the frontline together (closest to it was Corliss and Darnell Robinson, but Robinson was never focused or discliplined enough to be a dynamic player while Big Nasty was still on campus). Add in 6-8 Ethan Henderson, who is still raw and developing, and possibly 6-8 Brachen Hazen, who is still raw and developing, and what I see is a lack of strength and depth in the frontline once you get past Gafford and Perry.

The other problem is how long will Gafford and Perry play together? Maybe only one season. Gafford has all the measurables and athletic talent to be a lottery pick, and I could see posibility of him being a 2-and-done.

The Hogs really need a big, strong, 4-year big and preferrably one to finish the 2017 class. Those don't just grow on trees, but it's a need. Not sure Mladen Armus (SWChristian Academy) is that guy, but he can play at high-major level, he's 6-9, strong, and has a big frame that he knows how to use to create space in the paint to get off high-percentage shots and rebounds. Not quick, fast, or athletic in terms of jumping, but he's got good lateral footwork and movement, and has good skill for a big.

Gabe Osabuohien, the 6-7 combo forward at SCA, put on a show against Hamilton Heights last weekend, which is loaded with talent, size, an athleticism. Everytime I saw him prior to that game, Gabe looked disinterested and brought inconsistent energy. Against HH, he was locked in and played with determination, and was clearly the best "talent" on the floor for SCA = 21 pts, 10 rebs. Armus had a double-double, too, against HH = 13 pts, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Osabuohien is the better system fit (compared to Armus) for the Hogs, but it would be another undersized combo-4 and not an answer to the need for an interior big.
All of this is why the Mike haters' ultimatum is ridiculous and means nothing. Mike is safe as can be at this point with those guys in the pipeline.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli