Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Class Complete?

Started by sadhogfan, January 21, 2017, 03:41:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Quote from: JayHog on February 13, 2017, 12:49:14 am
I agree. For the system we run, players ABSOLUTELY need to be athletic. Ever notice how none of our players dunk (except for Bailey). They aren't high flyers and play above the rim. Even Barford...I've seen him dunk maybe 3 time and it looks like he's barely getting it above the rim.  Mostly he just drives for layups. Same with everyone else... just layups. They never really dunk it. They just aren't an athletic group (Beard, Hannas, Watkins, Cook).
Even Kingsley to an extent, also.  You know that he can dunk, but he rarely does.
We just aren't that athletic. And for our style of play, that's not good. But the head scratcher is that Mike recruited every one of these guys even though he knew they weren't athletic high flyers that we need a roster full of

I agree we need more long athletic aggressive players to make Mike's game work  but you also need some big physical inside players who will get on the boards and play defense.  It always helps if they are athletic but if not they need to be MEN and like to muscle around down low.  When Nolan had his best teams he had size down low.  Some were athletic and some were not but they liked to muscle around down low.  We need some 6'8+,  240 lbs MEN who like to play in the paint and like to beat up on folks.  Scoring would be a huge plus but right now if they could rebound and play defense that would help a ton.  We need our PFs to be thicker, tougher and know their role on the team.   All of our PFs want to be SFs or combo SFs and want to play mostly on the outside. 

NoogaHog

Give me a Roosevelt Wallace any day. "you other guys go score, I'll just stay here and rebound and beat the crap out of anyone who tries to keep me from it"
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

February 14, 2017, 01:27:02 pm #52 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:53:15 pm by NoogaHog
Unfortunately the only real physical players that I can think of (i.e. I may have forgotten someone) that Anderson has had were a guard (A. Harris) and the uberathletic Michael Sanchez.

Maybe Powell?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NWAHog479

FineAsSwine

I could see taking Javon Franklin, if that were an option. Kid is crazy athletic and is a tough minded and aggressive player.
Hogs up! Covid down!

reddawg213

Quote from: Razorod on February 09, 2017, 11:12:38 am
Glasper might get it by default. He is a pg, which is a position of need.

I honestly think that is what will happen with so many guards already on the roster. It might actually be Mike Anderson's plan.

The biggest issue (unknown really) with Glasper is whether he will play as well at the college level as he did in HS. He was a terrific HS player and is a great all-around PG. But the question is 1) when does he come back and 2) does he come back as strong.

Hawg Red

I love Arkansas kids being Hogs, and in the past I have wanted the Hogs to sign Franklin, but do we really need two Adrio Bailey's? We need a true PG, a center, and a true SF much more.

RealHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 14, 2017, 02:11:20 pm
Lorenzo Jenkins was a JOKE

I hate to say it but I hope Hazen can improve drastically enough he can contribute. Right now he looks overmatched at the high major level.

Jim Harris

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2017, 01:36:23 pm
Big Lee didn't play much but Darnell Robinson had a major impact on that National Title team.

Rewatch the 1994 Arizona game for Lee Wilson's impact.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 17, 2017, 12:20:54 pm
Rewatch the 1994 Arizona game for Lee Wilson's impact.

watched another game during our tourney runs where he dominated 20+ pts 8 rebs?... didn't think it was Zona but it may have been..

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 17, 2017, 07:54:46 am
I love Arkansas kids being Hogs, and in the past I have wanted the Hogs to sign Franklin, but do we really need two Adrio Bailey's? We need a true PG, a center, and a true SF much more.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 17, 2017, 12:27:43 pm
watched another game during our tourney runs where he dominated 20+ pts 8 rebs?... didn't think it was Zona but it may have been..

Syracuse in 95.  Wilson had 18 and 5. He played a good solid tournament in '95.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 17, 2017, 02:16:47 pm
Syracuse in 95.  Wilson had 18 and 5. He played a good solid tournament in '95.

Yep.. that was it... think he hit a couple FT's late maybe an and 1..

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 24, 2017, 04:08:47 am
I'd take a Derek Hood. He was only 6'8" 215-220,but he banged against guys bigger than him and lead the SEC in rebounding twice.  Rebounding is about heart, hustle and attitude as it is athletic ability.

Would love to find another Derek Hood. Remember, he was a McDonald's All-American. Ethan Henderson has some similarities.

Hood is perfect because he has the build to play our system, but rebounds like a guy 2 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 15, 2017, 09:22:31 am
I could see taking Javon Franklin, if that were an option. Kid is crazy athletic and is a tough minded and aggressive player.

Very comparable to Michael Qualls at the same point in their careers.

Razorod

Any new names starting to surface who might complete this class?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogwood

Quote from: RealHog on February 17, 2017, 10:32:43 am
I hate to say it but I hope Hazen can improve drastically enough he can contribute. Right now he looks overmatched at the high major level.

How do you know? He's hardly played.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogwood on February 18, 2017, 07:19:20 am
How do you know? He's hardly played.

I actually really like what I have seen from both CJ Jones and Hazen, even though they don't get many minutes.  I really think they can be factors in the future.  Hazen had a great pass to Bailey last night.  He moves well and has a good stroke.  CJ Jones is a natural scorer with height at guard and a very good shot.  I really hope we can keep all of them.  It would be a shame to lose any of them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 19, 2017, 09:57:44 am
I actually really like what I have seen from both CJ Jones and Hazen, even though they don't get many minutes.  I really think they can be factors in the future.  Hazen had a great pass to Bailey last night.  He moves well and has a good stroke.  CJ Jones is a natural scorer with height at guard and a very good shot.  I really hope we can keep all of them.  It would be a shame to lose any of them.

I hope CJ has patience. By his Junior year, he will be one of our best players and probably our starting SG.

At 6'5" and his talent, we can't afford to lose him.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2017, 06:28:43 am
Would love to find another Derek Hood. Remember, he was a McDonald's All-American. Ethan Henderson has some similarities.

Hood is perfect because he has the build to play our system, but rebounds like a guy 2 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.

Hood was a warrior.  Hopefully Henderson can bring some toughness like Hood.

Nick Davis was another one like Hood. Davis wasn't as athletic has Hood, but was more skilled and a better shot blocker.  Those two lead the SEC in rebounding for three straight years.

poloprince

A graduate transfer big man will probably get that last 2017 scholarship or it will go unused.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

February 19, 2017, 01:08:02 pm #71 Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:28:24 pm by mhuff
Quote from: poloprince on February 19, 2017, 12:53:17 pm
A graduate transfer big man will probably get that last 2017 scholarship or it will go unused.

Been thinking that as well or a player who can transfer without laying out . I don't think it will be unused or we might  have the Fab Six, Seven, or Eight. I realize there are other scenarios.

raz1965

There is always a gem out there that has been looked over by power five teams, maybe Mike's staff can find that recruit, looks to me like we need a big man to take foul pressure off the two bigs we will have. I have seen several players through the years that were on mid major programs, that must have been looked over, most would have accepted a offer from power five teams I assume. I would like to see some updated news on any bigs we are after.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mhuff on February 19, 2017, 01:08:02 pm
Been thinking that as well or a player who can transfer without laying out . I don't think it will be unused or we might  have the Fab Six, Seven, or Eight. I realize there are other scenarios.

Grad transfers are the only players that can transfer without sitting out. The hardship waiver has been eliminated.

I agree that the staff will use the remaining scholarship. Hopefully we catch the eye of some late period gems or even studs with a postseason run. A true point guard would be nice but a true big man would be even nicer. I think we get our 3 man in the 2018 class with Rodgerick Brown.

ballinhog

The way we've looked the past 2 games when Thompson and Kingsley played together makes me think we need to sign another big for next year that way we can do more line ups like Gafford and Thompson together. I would like to see Gafford and Thompson play extended minutes together next year without having to have guys like Cook and Thomas in together when they get tired or in foul trouble.

I think our roster is good next year as I believe Glasper could be the PG every one is looking for, as long as we find another 6-10 guy or bigger that can defend the paint and rebound. If we don't get another big I hope we take a chance on either Franklin or Perry from El Dorado.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ballinhog on February 19, 2017, 06:54:55 pm
I think our roster is good next year as I believe Glasper could be the PG every one is looking for, as long as we find another 6-10 guy or bigger that can defend the paint and rebound. If we don't get another big I hope we take a chance on either Franklin or Perry from El Dorado.

Franklin and Perry are headed to JUCO. I think there is a chance Perry could play for a mid or low major but I don't believe he'll be able to get into a high major school due to academic standards. Not 100% on Franklin going to JUCO but it appears very likely given his lack of offers (same with Perry).

ballinhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 19, 2017, 07:14:18 pm
Franklin and Perry are headed to JUCO. I think there is a chance Perry could play for a mid or low major but I don't believe he'll be able to get into a high major school due to academic standards. Not 100% on Franklin going to JUCO but it appears very likely given his lack of offers (same with Perry).

Yea I've heard both of them are likely juco guys. Honestly I don't have a clue who could be an option to fill the last spot for us. I can find several names that I like but there doesn't seem to be anything to any of them for us.

I just know the way we've been playing when Moses and Trey play together, I really want another big. Hopefully a name or 2 will surface soon

redleg

I look forward to watching Trey Thompson (6'9" 265) and Dan Gafford (6'11" 225) on the floor together next season. Arlando Cook (6'8" 215) and Dustin Thomas (6'8" 225) are good fillers, but they aren't true Bigs.
Gafford and Reggie Perry (6'9" 220) in 2018-19 will be a blast to watch! But Arkansas does need another true center to help fill in for a few minutes per game.
I suppose Connor Vanover (7'3" 225) would be a good choice IF he fits Mike Anderson's style of play, & can continue to bulk up. If not Vanover, then who?
I truly believe CMA must sign another guy this April, or add to the 2018 class with someone who is 6'9" or taller.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: redleg on February 28, 2017, 08:59:27 am
I look forward to watching Trey Thompson (6'9" 265) and Dan Gafford (6'11" 225) on the floor together next season. Arlando Cook (6'8" 215) and Dustin Thomas (6'8" 225) are good fillers, but they aren't true Bigs.
Gafford and Reggie Perry (6'9" 220) in 2018-19 will be a blast to watch! But Arkansas does need another true center to help fill in for a few minutes per game.
I suppose Connor Vanover (7'3" 225) would be a good choice IF he fits Mike Anderson's style of play, & can continue to bulk up. If not Vanover, then who?
I truly believe CMA must sign another guy this April, or add to the 2018 class with someone who is 6'9" or taller.
Red I completely agree with you that we need to sign a big man this year and add another big next year.  I love shooters but shooters have bad nights so that is when you have another weapon like guys who love to rebound and get you those tough inside points.  That makes the team complete and hard to beat.  Really good inside men come in different sizes but they love to mix it up down low and give you a physical presence in games and in practice. 

Of course the great ones are probable out of our reach but lots of bigs in the 6'7+ with the body type to weigh 240+ in college who are athletic and physical enough to help us be a good well rounded team.  I want a more rounded team that can play several ways to win games against the top 20 teams and win 2+ games in the NCAAT.

Grizzlyfan

7'3" 225?  holy cow, that's skin and bones.

ballinhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 28, 2017, 10:42:50 am

I doubt he weighs that much

ShadowHawg

Vanover would be a free throws line player in our system.

logic

March 20, 2017, 04:18:43 pm #82 Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:29:16 pm by logic
Quote from: HardingHog on January 23, 2017, 08:18:04 pm
Just for fun I looked at the top 200 players on 247 and of those 200 (I lowered the requirements to ~240 lbs and 6'8+) only 11 fit that criteria

However, yes, I would like another true center type/ low post banger and a true point guard over the next couple classes. Particularly because I want to see Gafford and Perry on the court at the same time in a couple seasons
I'm certain Mike would love a top 100 point guard and true center. The problem is that they are rare and hard to come by because if they are that good they prefer to play for Kentucky, Duke, or UNC.  Therefore, Mike must settle for who is available after the foregoing big name schools fill their allotments.

Razorod

bulldog04

I fully expect them to try and find a graduate transfer at either PG or C.  I'm basing this entirely off the fact that its what I would do.

azhog10

Need a true PG. wasn't UNFs guard talking about transferring. Would love to have that kid.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 17, 2017, 12:27:43 pm
Syracuse '95?

Hollywood870

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 28, 2017, 10:42:50 am
Manute Bol weighed less than that.

nwahogfan1

Cook and Thomas are not true bigs because they are only 6'6.. Mike has to get  us bigger.

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 20, 2017, 11:23:18 pm
Cook and Thomas are not true bigs because they are only 6'6.. Mike has to get  us bigger.
Both are taller than 6'6.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 20, 2017, 11:23:18 pm
Adrio Bailey is 6'6. Cook and Thomas are 6'8
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

HardingHog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2017, 09:44:34 pm
Need a true PG. wasn't UNFs guard talking about transferring. Would love to have that kid.

If this is true then this kid should be a high priority if you ask me. He absolutely torched us so the coaches should have an understanding of his abilities. Sure it's only a 1 year fix, but that'd be a heck of a rent-a-PG

HossHog

Quote from: HardingHog on March 21, 2017, 02:00:32 am
If this is true then this kid should be a high priority if you ask me. He absolutely torched us so the coaches should have an understanding of his abilities. Sure it's only a 1 year fix, but that'd be a heck of a rent-a-PG
Averaged 23.9 PPG and shot 39.8% from deeplast season, would be a nice addition. Not to mention he dropped 30 ten times and that includes 34 on us

The_Iceman

Quote from: HossHog on March 21, 2017, 02:16:41 am
Averaged 23.9 PPG and shot 39.8% from deeplast season, would be a nice addition. Not to mention he dropped 30 ten times and that includes 34 on us

It looks to me as if he has played all 4 years:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66523/dallas-moore

King Kong

Quote from: Razorod on March 20, 2017, 06:22:26 pm
Wonder who he's going to see?

http://247sports.com/player/aljami-durham-85883

Recent twitter follow by TJ. Probably a long shot but if we could land him....

The Hogfather

Razorod

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 21, 2017, 12:39:32 pm
Graduate transfer?
If he's played all four years, he no longer has any eligibility left.

Razorback Mac

Quote from: King Kong on March 21, 2017, 10:41:07 am
http://247sports.com/player/aljami-durham-85883

Recent twitter follow by TJ. Probably a long shot but if we could land him....
He's asked Indiana for his release

The Hogfather

Quote from: Razorod on March 21, 2017, 01:23:56 pm
If he's played all four years, he no longer has any eligibility left.

Brain FART.