Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Class Complete?

Started by sadhogfan, January 21, 2017, 03:41:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sadhogfan

So, I know that the '17 class is supposed to be great...currently ranked 18th on ESPN and that is with only three kids (Gafford, Garland, Hall) and a lot of the teams with better classes have more than 3 guys.

At 3, are we full, or are there other guys we are looking at? I am thinking we are losing just Kingsley, Hannahs, and Watkins, but based on our recent (unexpected) attrition rate, is it likely that we will pick up more?

1highhog

The_Iceman

RaisinHog

Dudley said on Twitter yesterday that he heard they were on another big and a PG but he didn't have names yet

WooPig90

If Javon Franklin somehow gets eligible i think that we take him

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 21, 2017, 11:31:01 am
Dudley said on Twitter yesterday that he heard they were on another big and a PG but he didn't have names yet

PG.. wonder if he was referring to Embery

FineAsSwine

TX HOG

I honestly don't keep up with basketball recruiting too well. It's good to see we have a good class coming in.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TX HOG on January 21, 2017, 02:20:22 pm
I honestly don't keep up with basketball recruiting too well. It's good to see we have a good class coming in.

Very good and just in time.

Razorod

Be curious to hear those names.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hawg Red

They are going to sign a true PG or big man if they can get one. We might not hear names until coaches start getting fired or late bloomers starting decommitting (like CJ Jones) if they think they can get on with a bigger school. Probably not going to be a game-changer either way.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 21, 2017, 05:10:39 pm
They are going to sign a true PG or big man if they can get one. We might not hear names until coaches start getting fired or late bloomers starting decommitting (like CJ Jones) if they think they can get on with a bigger school. Probably not going to be a game-changer either way.

If its not a game-changer or an immediate contributor, save it until 2018. Lots of shots at game-changers there.

RealHog

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 21, 2017, 12:17:51 pm
I watched Javon Franklin v Maumelle and he doesn't look anything over 6-6. I think we would be getting a Adrio Bailey skill set and size.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: RealHog on January 21, 2017, 10:23:04 pm
I watched Javon Franklin v Maumelle and he doesn't look anything over 6-6. I think we would be getting a Adrio Bailey skill set and size.

That's the problem with taking Javon (he seems to be juco-bound anyway) -- Hogs have Bailey already and no physcial presence from the trio of Cook, Thomas, and Hazen. Plus, Cook, Thomas and Thompson are all gone in a year. Javon might be best available but does not fill an immediate need.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 21, 2017, 05:10:39 pm
Man, we need a true point guard in the worst way. A lot of our dribble/pass around the perimeter for 20 second offense would disappear with someone who can drive and dish consistently. Plus, a good PG might have made Moses look more like the POTY.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

GuvHog

I hope this time it's a true Big Man rather than a 6'8" or 6'9" player trying to be big. When is the last time Mike actually signed a 6'11" 245 LB muscled up big man to dominate the lane?? Gafford is a great player but he can't do it alone.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on January 23, 2017, 10:13:50 am
I hope this time it's a true Big Man rather than a 6'8" or 6'9" player trying to be big. When is the last time Mike actually signed a 6'11" 245 LB muscled up big man to dominate the lane?? Gafford is a great player but he can't do it alone.

When was the last time there were a bunch of 6'11, 245 lb. "muscled up" big men dominating the lane in college basketball?

Quit living in the past.

psooie

Should look at 2018 SF Gabe Brown from  Belleville, Michigan

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 23, 2017, 10:32:09 am
When was the last time there were a bunch of 6'11, 245 lb. "muscled up" big men dominating the lane in college basketball?

Quit living in the past.

Stan Heath, minus the dominating the lane part. Think we had something like 6 players that were 6'9" or taller on that 06-07 squad.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 23, 2017, 12:15:07 pm
Stan Heath, minus the dominating the lane part. Think we had something like 6 players that were 6'9" or taller on that 06-07 squad.

Okay, so 10 years ago.

And were they all 245 lbs and "muscled up?" Don't forget that part.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 23, 2017, 02:30:47 pm
Okay, so 10 years ago.

And were they all 245 lbs and "muscled up?" Don't forget that part.

Not to mention that they were bubble teams on their best day.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on January 22, 2017, 12:34:56 pm
That's the problem with taking Javon (he seems to be juco-bound anyway) -- Hogs have Bailey already and no physcial presence from the trio of Cook, Thomas, and Hazen. Plus, Cook, Thomas and Thompson are all gone in a year. Javon might be best available but does not fill an immediate need.
I believe we took somebody last year that is going to keep us from taking Jovan, you can thank the traitor for this, and an MA reach.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 23, 2017, 10:32:09 am

Quit living in the past.

I'm not living in the past. Mike's mentor was the same way. For years Nolan didn't believe he needed a true big man until he finally gave in and signed a muscled up 6'11" 245 LB big man to come off of the bench and in that big man's freshman season the Hogs won the National Championship.

navyhog24

Actually 2. Big Darnell and Lee Wilson

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on January 23, 2017, 04:52:05 pm
I'm not living in the past. Mike's mentor was the same way. For years Nolan didn't believe he needed a true big man until he finally gave in and signed a muscled up 6'11" 245 LB big man to come off of the bench and in that big man's freshman season the Hogs won the National Championship.

You say you aren't living in the past.....and then bring up Nolan Richardson's championship team from 23 years ago!!!!!

Dude, are you serious?

Hawg Red

Last year's All-American big men:

Brice Johnson
Ben Simmons
Jakob Poetl
Jarrod Uthoff
Perry Ellis
Georges Niang

Which one of these players is 6'11, 245 lbs, muscled up, and dominating the paint??

Closest one is Ben Simmons. Yes, that's right -- point guard Ben Simmons. Also perhaps the softest player in that group.

Times have changed. It's a perimeter game now.

HardingHog

Just for fun I looked at the top 200 players on 247 and of those 200 (I lowered the requirements to ~240 lbs and 6'8+) only 11 fit that criteria

However, yes, I would like another true center type/ low post banger and a true point guard over the next couple classes. Particularly because I want to see Gafford and Perry on the court at the same time in a couple seasons

songofthesword

Stokes at patkview will be 240 lol but wont be 6'8

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HardingHog on January 23, 2017, 08:18:04 pm
Just for fun I looked at the top 200 players on 247 and of those 200 (I lowered the requirements to ~240 lbs and 6'8+) only 11 fit that criteria

However, yes, I would like another true center type/ low post banger and a true point guard over the next couple classes. Particularly because I want to see Gafford and Perry on the court at the same time in a couple seasons

2 things.

1. They do not have to weigh 240 lbs in HS.but have the frame to weigh that in a year or so. Be athletic and physical.
2.   He does not have to be a too 200 player right now but have the want to develop.

nwahogfan1

I like Franklin but he is not what this team needs for next year.

rzrbackramsfan

I think the poster wanting the 6'11" muscled up guy wants bam adebayo, even though he's probably 6'9" I agree though. bam would be nice.

Hogimus Prime

I'd take a Derek Hood. He was only 6'8" 215-220,but he banged against guys bigger than him and lead the SEC in rebounding twice.  Rebounding is about heart, hustle and attitude as it is athletic ability.

NWAHog479

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on January 22, 2017, 12:34:56 pm

This seems to be the constant review that Javon has been getting. If you are 6-6, you better be able to put the ball on the deck and shoot some three pointers because that puts you at a 3 in the SEC. I would love to get a Coty Clarke/Qualls/Modica type player that can handle a bit, shoot, guard wings as a 3 and also rebound and play small-ball 4 when needed!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 23, 2017, 10:17:27 pm
I like Franklin but he is not what this team needs for next year.

Actually this team could use an upgrade in athleticism.

GuvHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 23, 2017, 05:12:56 pm
Actually 2. Big Darnell and Lee Wilson

Big Lee didn't play much but Darnell Robinson had a major impact on that National Title team.

RealHog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on January 24, 2017, 08:38:25 am
This seems to be the constant review that Javon has been getting. If you are 6-6, you better be able to put the ball on the deck and shoot some three pointers because that puts you at a 3 in the SEC. I would love to get a Coty Clarke/Qualls/Modica type player that can handle a bit, shoot, guard wings as a 3 and also rebound and play small-ball 4 when needed!

I don't know how many guys there are like Grant Williams' from Tennessee, but I would love to have one. 6-5 but is fearless and plays like he's 7-0. Saw him go right at Dwight Howard clone Bam Adebayo and score and rebound.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RealHog on January 26, 2017, 01:57:23 pm
I don't know how many guys there are like Grant Williams' from Tennessee, but I would love to have one. 6-5 but is fearless and plays like he's 7-0. Saw him go right at Dwight Howard clone Bam Adebayo and score and rebound.

Plays like Corliss Williamson.   Yes, I would love a player like this.  We need an enforcer in the paint.  I would drether have one a little taller but the right 6'5 who plays much taller is better than 6'8 guys who get pushed completely out of the lane.

Pork Ranger

So we are still looking to add to the 2017 class? When does signing end for 2017? Sorry I'm not up to speed with BBall recruiting.

But how bout that 2018 class! The future is looking bright for Arkansas basketball and it's because the in state blue chips are finally committing!!

WPS!!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 23, 2017, 04:52:05 pm

I would take an athletic 6'7 245 lb man as long as he loves to bang, rebound and defend.  This team needs some Larry Johnson type men down low.

HardingHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 04, 2017, 05:55:03 pm
I would take an athletic 6'7 245 lb man as long as he loves to bang, rebound and defend.  This team needs some Larry Johnson type men down low.

When it comes to the Bball recruiting forum, you should just reply with the Marshawn Lynch line: "You know why I'm here"  ;D

navyhog24

It won't matter if we get a banger or not. Mike will just waste the guy away anyways. He doesn't know how to develop big men.

swinesation

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 24, 2017, 01:31:59 pm
Actually this team could use an upgrade in athleticism.

Well Barford is a heck of an athlete. So is Adrio Bailey, as is C.J. Jones. And I believe we have three excellent athletes on the way.

Youngsta71701

Yep, I hope so but more than likely he's on his way to JUCO and hopefully from there the hogs.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

navyhog24

We need basketball players not athletes that play basketball.

Razorod

If downward trend continues, might be hard to fill that fourth spot.

Glasper might get it by default. He is a pg, which is a position of need.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 24, 2017, 04:08:47 am
I'd take a Derek Hood. He was only 6'8" 215-220,but he banged against guys bigger than him and lead the SEC in rebounding twice.  Rebounding is about heart, hustle and attitude as it is athletic ability.

Another lean Big O or Stewart would be nice.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Youngsta71701

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 09, 2017, 08:19:20 am
We need basketball players not athletes that play basketball.
We need basketball players that are athletic.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

JayHog

I agree. For the system we run, players ABSOLUTELY need to be athletic. Ever notice how none of our players dunk (except for Bailey). They aren't high flyers and play above the rim. Even Barford...I've seen him dunk maybe 3 time and it looks like he's barely getting it above the rim.  Mostly he just drives for layups. Same with everyone else... just layups. They never really dunk it. They just aren't an athletic group (Beard, Hannas, Watkins, Cook).
Even Kingsley to an extent, also.  You know that he can dunk, but he rarely does.
We just aren't that athletic. And for our style of play, that's not good. But the head scratcher is that Mike recruited every one of these guys even though he knew they weren't athletic high flyers that we need a roster full of

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JayHog on February 13, 2017, 12:49:14 am
I agree. For the system we run, players ABSOLUTELY need to be athletic. Ever notice how none of our players dunk (except for Bailey). They aren't high flyers and play above the rim. Even Barford...I've seen him dunk maybe 3 time and it looks like he's barely getting it above the rim.  Mostly he just drives for layups. Same with everyone else... just layups. They never really dunk it. They just aren't an athletic group (Beard, Hannas, Watkins, Cook).
Even Kingsley to an extent, also.  You know that he can dunk, but he rarely does.
We just aren't that athletic. And for our style of play, that's not good. But the head scratcher is that Mike recruited every one of these guys even though he knew they weren't athletic high flyers that we need a roster full of

This is spot on. It's a mystery how MA has been negligent to add athleticism while here. I think CJ and Bailey change that dynamic some as does the incoming class.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 10, 2017, 07:28:35 am
We need basketball players that are athletic.

exactly!!!!! Think Clint McDaniel, Lenzie Howell, Corliss, Scotty, Corey Beck, Todd Day, Ron Huery  etc.    These guys were players.....who were athletic as well.