Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pretty mild weather this weekend

Started by GolfNut57, January 19, 2017, 09:46:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

The weather is supposed to be pretty good this weekend with temps in the high 60's to low 70's Friday and Saturday. Anyone gonna try to take advantage and get in some golf? If so, where? Thinking I might give Greystone a few swings since they will soon be closing. Hopefully they are still taking care of the course at the moment instead of just saying to hell with it and letting things go. Who knows, they may even have some nice deals going in the proshop as far as the merchandise is concerned.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

cc

Unfortunately, course conditions are the first to go.  Probably didn't spray winter pre-emerge for lack of $ and now have weeds every where.  Don't know this for sure but see it happen when courses get in a money crunch.  Turf herbicides are expensive. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Seems to me everything's so soggy right now you'd be going through shoes, socks and probably slacks very quickly. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

We played Saturday and it was nice but it rained most of Sunday and turned cold.  Headed out to try it in just a few minutes.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boog41

What course you hitting Boar? Paradise?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on January 23, 2017, 12:42:10 pm
What course you hitting Boar? Paradise?

Yes. Been there for years.  It's a fun course
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2017, 06:53:01 pm
Yes. Been there for years.  It's a fun course

I played a tourney there last fall. I've always enjoyed the times I've been on it.

I was lucky enough to play Torrey Pines a week ago today. It was a window with now rain, so it was awesome. It was all set up for this weeks tourney. Gotta say playing a course with all the grandstands set up is pretty neat. Especially 18.

Boarcephus

I'm jealous! Have to say I'm a little surprised they'd let you on it with a PGA Event coming so soon. 

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 23, 2017, 08:17:18 pm
I'm jealous! Have to say I'm a little surprised they'd let you on it with a PGA Event coming so soon. 

Last Monday was the last day for play before the course was turned over to the PGA. The fairways and greens were amazing. What I gained the most respect for though was how the pros can get out of the rough.....where I spent a lot of my time.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on January 23, 2017, 08:22:49 pm
Last Monday was the last day for play before the course was turned over to the PGA. The fairways and greens were amazing. What I gained the most respect for though was how the pros can get out of the rough.....where I spent a lot of my time.

Rough doesn't faze them in the least does it?  Besides the length, the undulations of the greens is amazing.  I hit the ball fairly well off flat lies but those guys never get a flat lie and the lies they get are friggin tight!  I've always been more of a picker than a digger.

Boog41

Very true about those guys never getting a flat lie. You know one thing I was a little surprised at was the fluffiness of the fairways. A definite reward for hitting them, but dang they are narrow.

Not the right forum for this, but not many folks in here these days. Does anyone have any good oysters right now?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on January 23, 2017, 08:50:18 pm
Very true about those guys never getting a flat lie. You know one thing I was a little surprised at was the fluffiness of the fairways. A definite reward for hitting them, but dang they are narrow.

Not the right forum for this, but not many folks in here these days. Does anyone have any good oysters right now?

I have a source for great oysters!!  Picked up 60 pounds last Thursday and we finished them off yesterday.  These were probably the best oysters I've purchased.  Big, plump and I don't think I had a single dead one in the entire 60 pounds. 

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 24, 2017, 07:56:36 am
I have a source for great oysters!!  Picked up 60 pounds last Thursday and we finished them off yesterday.  These were probably the best oysters I've purchased.  Big, plump and I don't think I had a single dead one in the entire 60 pounds. 

Not a local source though, right?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 24, 2017, 10:09:50 am
Not a local source though, right?

Boarcephus would tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boog41

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 24, 2017, 10:34:38 am
Boarcephus would tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

I'd just about let him kill me if fresh oysters cooked on the BGE could be my last meal. :)

Boarcephus

Hey fellas, I found this place back before Thanksgiving.  It's called Farmers Seafood in Shreveport.  They sell a 32 pound sack of oysters for $56.50 + tax, so give or take $60 a sack.  The dealer is Wilson Oysters out of Houma, LA.  Farmers receives shipments 3 days a week and I generally go down on a Thursday because they have a shipment come in early that morning.  The ones I picked up last Thursday were harvested that Sunday so a 4 day harvest date is about as good as I'm going to get without driving to the gulf. 

It's a 640 mile round trip for me and the Wolfman.  I'm retired so it's not that big a deal for me to do it on a Thursday.  We leave around 5:30 in the morning and are home by 4:30 pm and eating oysters by 7 that night.  I'll be heading back in February to do it again and if you are interested, I can bring you back some when I get mine.  One more thing.....Shreveport in one nastyass city.  ;)

Boog41

I'm with you on Sleazepit being nasty. The best thing that ever came out of it was 71 Highway!!

They do have Superior Grill though. Probably the 2nd best Mexican food I've ever eaten. (2nd to Ted's in OKC)

Post on here, or PM me when you are headed back and I'll place my order!! I live close to you and can easily meet.

Do you go through LR and Hope, or do you go down 71 through Texarkana?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 24, 2017, 02:17:53 pm
I'm with you on Sleazepit being nasty. The best thing that ever came out of it was 71 Highway!!

Joe Ferguson farts in your general direction.

Boog41

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 24, 2017, 02:54:16 pm
Joe Ferguson farts in your general direction.

OK, 2nd best thing!! If you weren't so old you wouldn't even know that.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on January 24, 2017, 02:17:53 pm

They do have Superior Grill though. Probably the 2nd best Mexican food I've ever eaten. (2nd to Ted's in OKC)

Post on here, or PM me when you are headed back and I'll place my order!! I live close to you and can easily meet.

Do you go through LR and Hope, or do you go down 71 through Texarkana?

We can move this but like you said, it's slow here.  The best way I've found is take 259 south out of Poteau and head towards Broken Bow.  I cut across on hwy 4 at Smithville and that comes out south of Mena (I hate driving through Mena) and I take 71 and pick up Hwy 49 just south of Ashdown and then take that into Shreveport.  Wolfman and I always stop at the Burger King and grab a hamburger off the dollar menu on the way home.  It's a long day but we like oysters! 

I'll run you down when I head back and we can meet up somewhere.  All I need is an ice chest.  They ice them down for me so it's one sack to a ice chest.  I picked up some nice shrimp this past trip that were darn good.  They sell 16-20 count, heads off  shrimp for $10.99 a pound.  They have other stuff there you don't see here, like buffalo ribs, etc.  ;)

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 24, 2017, 03:07:00 pm
We can move this but like you said, it's slow here.  The best way I've found is take 259 south out of Poteau and head towards Broken Bow.  I cut across on hwy 4 at Smithville and that comes out south of Mena (I hate driving through Mena) and I take 71 and pick up Hwy 49 just south of Ashdown and then take that into Shreveport.  Wolfman and I always stop at the Burger King and grab a hamburger off the dollar menu on the way home.  It's a long day but we like oysters! 

I'll run you down when I head back and we can meet up somewhere.  All I need is an ice chest.  They ice them down for me so it's one sack to a ice chest.  I picked up some nice shrimp this past trip that were darn good.  They sell 16-20 count, heads off  shrimp for $10.99 a pound.  They have other stuff there you don't see here, like buffalo ribs, etc.  ;)

That all sounds good! I look forward to your next trip!! I have to be gone to NYC around Feb 16th, so I hope you don't go that Thursday.

I'll look to see if they have a web page for anything else I might be interested in.

Appreciate you Boar!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boog41 on January 24, 2017, 03:02:14 pm
OK, 2nd best thing!! If you weren't so old you wouldn't even know that.

He11, I'm so old De Soto stopped and asked me for directions when he got turned around on the Arkansas River.

Boog41

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 24, 2017, 03:28:41 pm
He11, I'm so old De Soto stopped and asked me for directions when he got turned around on the Arkansas River.

You must have sent him to Hot Springs Village since there is a clubhouse, golf course and lake named after him there!