Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With Bortles turning in a poor season, how good are BA's chances?

Started by Keyser Sooieze, January 03, 2017, 01:08:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Sooieze

ON the depth chart, Chad Henne is listed as 2 and BA as 3. What say ye?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Keyser Sooieze on January 03, 2017, 01:08:32 pm
ON the depth chart, Chad Henne is listed as 2 and BA as 3. What say ye?

Depends. How good is he looking in practice? 

I doubt Bortles is going anywhere. He threw 23 TDs and almost 4K yards with a bad team.  They aren't going to just bench him when he isn't the problem on that team. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

holeinthewall

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 03, 2017, 08:34:36 pm
Depends. How good is he looking in practice? 

I doubt Bortles is going anywhere. He threw 23 TDs and almost 4K yards with a bad team.  They aren't going to just bench him when he isn't the problem on that team.

Your joking right?  He has been ridiculed all year about his poor mechanics and how much he digressed from 2015.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/20607/jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-i-need-people-to-help-me-with-mechanics
http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/jacksonville-jaguars-blake-bortles-offseason

QuoteHe completed 58.9 percent of his passes for 3,905 yards, with 23 touchdowns and 16 interceptions this season. His mechanics were mostly a mess , his faulty footwork causing inaccuracy and his elongated windup making it easier for defenders to break on his passes.

Bortles was one of the main issues for the Jaguars (3-13), who finished with double-digit losses for the sixth straight season and missed the playoffs for the ninth consecutive year. It cost offensive coordinator Greg Olson his job in late October and coach Gus Bradley his in December .

Jackrabbit Hog

From what I've read -- and that's all I can say I know about the situation -- it seems the fans want Henne.  I think a good scenario for BA would be for Bortles to be waived or traded, then for Henne to be elevated to no. 1 and BA elevated to no. 2.  After a few weeks all would see how Henne really plays like no. 2 (literally and figuratively), and maybe BA would get his shot then.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HiggiePiggy

Not many Qbs in the NFL are benched when they are going for over 4K yards.  Every qb and coach gets ridiculed when their team is bad.  Everyone wants the back up when the team overall sucks.  The qb isn't the major problem.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bennyl08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 04, 2017, 05:49:36 pm
Not many Qbs in the NFL are benched when they are going for over 4K yards.  Every qb and coach gets ridiculed when their team is bad.  Everyone wants the back up when the team overall sucks.  The qb isn't the major problem.

Regression for a player is a major problem though. Even if you are a hall of fame player, you usually only get to regress twice before you are no longer a starter. Referring to seasons overall, obviously there are ups and downs from game to game.

It's made worse with his regression not being a manner of slowing down from old age, but just sloppy mechanics. He has the talent to be the next big ben, but isn't professional enough yet to be beyond needing a coach to help him with the basics yet. His job, IMO, should still be as the starter, but if he regresses a 2nd year in a row, Jaguars will then not have a choice but to look elsewhere. It would be in the interest of both parties as the Jags would need better qb play and would be unable to elicit it from Bortles, and it would give Bortles the chance to have a different qb coach who can elicit improved play.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse