Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 recruiting discussion thread

Started by razorhog52, December 18, 2016, 01:20:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhog52

Since we already have one commit for 2019, I thought we might discuss 2020. 3 big instate names that I know about. What can people tell us about Moses Moody, Gerald Doakes, and Chris Moore? Who else do we need to be looking out for in or out of state?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: razorhog52 on December 18, 2016, 01:20:04 pm
Since we already have one commit for 2019, I thought we might discuss 2020. 3 big instate names that I know about. What can people tell us about Moses Moody, Gerald Doakes, and Chris Moore? Who else do we need to be looking out for in or out of state?

Just found out late tonite that Chris Moore of West Memphis has been offered by Memphis / Tubby Smith. There's Gerald Doakes, and his teammate at J'ville Lighthouse / Team Portis Wings Elite and also c/o 2020 Devonta Davis, a 5-10 PG. Moses Moody is playing meaningful minutes off the bench for Parkview.

Two more to watch are Khalen Robinson, a 5-11 CG at Episcopal Collegiate / Arkansas Hawks 15U ... IMO, he's already one of the best guards in the state. His teammate at Episcopal and the Hawks, 2020 SG Treylon Payne is another to keep an eye on.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/810719618499276800

Hawg Red

Have the Hogs offered Chris Moore?

Also, how does the whole West Memphis/Memphis thing work in terms of allegiance? Are people from West Memphis more inclined to be Hog fans or no, since Memphis is right across the river? I know we got Sonny Weems, but back in the day, we did not get Keith Lee or Michael Cage.

Big Nasty 34

A 2020 kid that I know, but sadly probably won't give the hogs much of a look is RJ Hampton out of Little Elm, Texas. He is 6-3+ and averaging over 20 PPG in class 5 down there as a true scoring point guard. RJ can score in multiple ways already and is a tremendous passer that will only get better as he fills out and continues to grow. Could very easily end up 6-6 or so.  I just hope we don't see him in that ugly blue and white in 4 years.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 19, 2016, 11:09:14 am

Also, how does the whole West Memphis/Memphis thing work in terms of allegiance? Are people from West Memphis more inclined to be Hog fans or no, since Memphis is right across the river? I know we got Sonny Weems, but back in the day, we did not get Keith Lee or Michael Cage.

Hogs have not offered Chris Moore yet to my knowledge. He did attend the Hogs' elite camp in early August.

jbhogfan4

Between having family ties, friends, and having spent a few years of my life in West Memphis, I can say that it is an extremely pro University of Arkansas town. There is as much love for the razorbacks there as you'll find anywhere in the state.

Jason Henry the juco phenom guard who signed with U of A a few years back was also from West Memphis. As was Anthony Borden (sp?) who signed with Pelphrey but had to go juco. Several football players have gone to the hill from West Memphis as well

Darth Piggy

Chris Moore will have a lot of folks in his ear pushing him to be a hog. He is not a razorback fan per se. Will he grow more?  He had a good spurt in 7th grade. It's been much slower as an 8th grader and now as a 9th grader. He's a great kid who I proudly show off to folks when people ask about him. I will always be rooting for him and I would love to see him as a hog.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Darth Piggy on December 21, 2016, 02:38:11 pm
Chris Moore will have a lot of folks in his ear pushing him to be a hog. He is not a razorback fan per se. Will he grow more?  He had a good spurt in 7th grade. It's been much slower as an 8th grader and now as a 9th grader. He's a great kid who I proudly show off to folks when people ask about him. I will always be rooting for him and I would love to see him as a hog.

Could you elaborate a little on that? Like, he's not a kid who just has not grown up dreaming to be a Hog but isn't like a KeVaughn Allen that is decided not to play at Arkansas? Is he like a Ky Madden that could be recruited to the U of A but would really look at other schools? Or is he going to be a Monk/Archie that wants that Kentucky spotlight?

Obviously whatever you're comfortable telling us, if anything. It seems you might know the kid so I understand if you don't want to go there.

Rawker

Though I don't have any specific info on 2020, I will say that after 2018 or so, with the kids that will be on the Hill making their mark, we will have even more choices for top talent than we did for 2017-18, especially when you consider that Justice Hill - who it seems has been one of the best program promoters we've had for at least the last recruiting cycle - will STILL be out there on the youth basketball scene pushing the Hogs through at least 2019.  I expect 2019 and 2020 to continue the flow of very solid classes for the Hogs.

razorhog52

February 27, 2017, 12:58:54 pm #9 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:50:59 pm by razorhog52
So, Moses Moody looks legit for Parkview. That would be a nice backcourt for the Hogs in 2020 with Justice Hill at point.

orgkeith

Doakes is the one most likely to be in the range between Allen and Monk.  Find a post and a point guard to go with Moore, Moody and Doakes.

ballinhog

Moses Moody has got to be legit to be playing the minutes he plays for this Parkview team. And Gerald Doakes is the one I've heard of before as potentially being really big time.

Kevin McPherson

Won't go into my reasoning, but right now Chris Moore, Moses Moody, and Khalen Robinson (Episcopal Collegiate) are the only 3 who are sure-fire high-major players.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on February 27, 2017, 10:15:47 pm
Won't go into my reasoning, but right now Chris Moore, Moses Moody, and Khalen Robinson (Episcopal Collegiate) are the only 3 who are sure-fire high-major players.

This guy watches a lot of Arkansas high school  basketball!! He knows

yraciv

I think at this point if they are playing with Memphis AAU teams advantage Memphis, and if they are playing with the Wings or Hawks advantage us. Moore played for Wings last year, Team Portis, so that can't hurt.  Not really sure if Tubby will be able to keep Memphis recruiting as strong as Pastner, so we may be able to get back into Memphis.

yraciv

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on December 20, 2016, 12:22:29 pm
Jason Henry the juco phenom guard who signed with U of A a few years back was also from West Memphis. As was Anthony Borden (sp?) who signed with Pelphrey but had to go juco. Several football players have gone to the hill from West Memphis as well

Jason Henry spent a year in Prep School before signing with Hogs as a FR, and being on All SEC Freshman team. Talk about definition of wasted potential. Kicked out of school, never reemerged, and currently resides in Cummins prison.

Borden was bad, and not sure why we ever signed him.

The_Bionic_Pig

This isn't John Calapari's Memphis....The talent is willing to bolt short of hiring a relative on the collegiate coaching staff.

Tubby is a decent recruiter but the fence to lockdown the cities elite player's to keep Arkansas & Tennessee out is evaporated.

I want:

2018 Rodgerick Brown (Cordova)
2018 TJ Moss (East) as best available option.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

songofthesword

Dokes can go. Known him since the day he was born his grandad and my dad were best friends.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on December 19, 2016, 11:42:08 am
A 2020 kid that I know, but sadly probably won't give the hogs much of a look is RJ Hampton out of Little Elm, Texas. He is 6-3+ and averaging over 20 PPG in class 5 down there as a true scoring point guard. RJ can score in multiple ways already and is a tremendous passer that will only get better as he fills out and continues to grow. Could very easily end up 6-6 or so.  I just hope we don't see him in that ugly blue and white in 4 years.

Again, I know we probably have no shot with RJ, just showing how impressive he is. He led Little Elm to a 29-5 record, #2 in Class 5A for a few weeks averaging 23 PPG 7 RPG and 4 APG. Would imagine he will be at a big Prep School in a couple years.